Divine Liturgies

D+C

Apr 19, 2011
✟8,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This weekend I am going to my first Russian Orthodox service. I've been a bit lost at previous orthodox services and I have been advised to take this with me : http://www.orthodoxoutreach.net/OR/DivineLitsponseslandscapeREVISED.pdf

Thing is, I'm lost already. Are these responses, and if so what to? Or is this the whole text and if so which bits are the responses?!

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
that IS the Divine Liturgy, dc. You sing that along with the choir except for the parts that the priest or deacon chant. You're basically looking at the script for the most lovely and powerful liturgy on Earth. Like I said, you sing and chant the whole thing as a family of believers

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
D+C
My understanding [ and it's certainly reflected in my local ROs ] is that they are moving to Russian[ Slavonic] /English Liturgies. The amount of English is certainly increasing and I believe thay are to move to 50/50

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember my first Divine Liturgy. I was standing next to Joseph Hazen, another poster here at TAW. He was helpful and kind, but I thought, "WHAT ON EARTH!?!?!" the whole way through. Dude, I was LOST! LOL!

Now it is memorized and second nature....thanks be to God!

No one knows what to do when they first go to an Orthodox Liturgy, but don't worry...that's part of the experience. Just go and let it wash over you and participate where you can.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Father George is awesome. Our liturgy is in English all the way with just a few times having a "bilingual moment" in slavonic like with the Trisagion and a few other parts later in the Eucharistic phase of the liturgy. At the closing of the liturgy, some is thrown in for good measure as well. But overall, the Slavonic is pretty easy to learn and not in copious amounts....

Oh boy - do I remember that feeling - and I had to cope with a different language into the bargain.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, I wouldn't take that with you; it will make you even more lost. Different jurisdiction, and even different parishes within the same jurisdiction, can have a translation of the Liturgy that is worded slightly differently from other jurisdictions/parishes. If they have a liturgy book at that parish, just use that, if you use anything at all. But that link that was given to you will just jumble things up, imho.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm with knee-v

I honestly would not take that with you - to me it's muddly . It seems a bit of a mish mash of things.

You have no real idea as yet as to what language they are using . It's very easy to pick up the responses to the Litanies - other things will come in time.

One Parish I go to regularly use the Resurrectional Antiphons - the other Parish I visit use the Typical Psalms some times and the Antiphons on others.

When I go to our RO Parish I take my Old Orthodox Prayer book which is bi-lingual - Slavonic / English , but even so I don't follow it slavishly [ pun intended ]

It's more important to let it all sink in rather than take part at this stage - watch and listen - you will learn far more that way

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I wouldn't take that with you; it will make you even more lost. Different jurisdiction, and even different parishes within the same jurisdiction, can have a translation of the Liturgy that is worded slightly differently from other jurisdictions/parishes. If they have a liturgy book at that parish, just use that, if you use anything at all. But that link that was given to you will just jumble things up, imho.

my priest in my hometown does not pass those out initially for newcomers. there is also so much that you miss, not just in what you are singing but in what you see the clergy and laity do if you are looking at a service book.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't the priest who suggested i take it, but the parish outreach person I've been talking to. Tomorrow is the morning of truth, my first Russian Orthodox English/Old Church Slavonic service!

awesome, hope you fill us in on how it goes!

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
D+C

Go - relax and drink it all in . You know that all your senses are going to be engaged - just allow it . Don't worry about consciously taking part - you are taking part just being there and listening to everything.

Do let us know how it goes .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree with knee-v and Anhelyna. Focus on the movement, symbolism and what you can understand. I tell people it usually takes about three Divine Liturgies before you can really form an opinion on it. The first time you're going to be either so lost and confused or so enamored of it that you can't really decide. The second time you'll get some more of it and start to see the method to the madness. The third time you'll begin to feel a touch of the repetition and be able to make the responses - and realize that this is every week, the same thing (wordwise, anyway) and begin to see the challenge that is Orthodox worship. The Service Book is usually mostly helpful at about the third time. Maybe the second.

But go and do tell us what you experienced. Every Orthodox convert remembers their first Divine Liturgy. At mine I sat in the back pew, was given a book by Diakonissa who then had to run off and lead the choir, and was subsequently greeted by a very pious and saintly man, John, who has since fallen asleep in the Lord. I barely remember the rest except I told my friend afterwards "All I kept hearing was "WISDOM!" and the guy was pointing his stole at us." The bells of the censer annoyed me too lol. But I also remember feeling keenly involved in what was going on in the altar, more-so than at any other Christian Liturgy I've attended. Protodeacon said afterward that that was probably because Icons are meant to draw you in, and I think he was probably right. So just remember at the start of the Liturgy, we're all in this together until we get to the end! And then there's food.

...Just like Heaven! ;)

Upvote 0

D+C

Apr 19, 2011
✟8,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That, quite simply, was wonderful. Since moving from my home church over four years ago I have had many "first experiences", and today was what I was searching for. I was greeted at the door by the outreach person with whom I had been corresponding but had never met. He immediately knew who I was and spent the first 20 minutes or so standing with me and quietly explaining what people were doing with the icons, candles, prayer cards and small loaves. After that he left me to drink in the service, leaving me feeling very welcome and at home.

The liturgy was wonderful. I found the moving between Slavonic and English to have a most unexpected effect. During the Slavonic I became lost in thought and prayer, letting the ancient sounds and smells wash over me. With the transition to English I was "back in the room" and praying with the congregation. I don't know if this is the intended effect, but it was excellent.

The sermon was the only challenging part, because I didn't really know what to do when it was delivered in Russian (I think), but had I known the priest was going to repeat it in English immediately I would have been much more relaxed.

After the service the outreach person introduced me to a few parishioners and I had a great time chatting with them. We then shared a delicious lunch in the hall next to the chapel in which I was seated next to the priest who talked to me throughout about the conversion process and invited me to the cathedral in London to take the process further.

The sense of community was lovely. The service was in a small red-brick chapel behind a christian bookshop, attended by about 20 people. There were children running everywhere who were sternly but lovingly chastised by all the congregation or the priest whenever they became too loud; just like a large extended family. When I left almost everyone took the time to say goodbye to me. It was exactly what I had been looking for.

Thank you all for helping lead me to this morning, you have no idea how long I have waited for a moment like that!

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
OK - it's clear - you have been hooked :)

I'm soooo very glad it was a good experience. You have obviously found a home there and a welcoming family too - that's most important.

Now it's time to settle in and learn about things - and this process will be well worth the effort you put into it.

Upvote 0