Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're right. It cannot. No interpretation of Genesis which claims to deduce accurate scientific facts about the origin of the universe from it can be correct.
There are no accurate scientific facts about the origin of the universe! This is news? No interpretation of Genesis should be contrary to the rest of the bible. No interpretation of Genesis shold make the truth of the order of creation given already in chapter one a lie. No interpretation of the bible anywhere should make God look like a nicompetentpoop God.

That's how it is.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, what if everything is exactly as we would expect for a universe in which the laws of physics were reliable through time?
What you expect it to be is of zero importance. What we KNOW does matter. Part of what is known is that God is true, whether sillyscience discerns that, or cares..or not.

Would that not indicate that we could use those laws of physics to determine how things were in the past?

If if there is a God that will change things in the future, then our laws absolutely cannot be used to determine the future! If things changed after Eden (therefore after creation also) then we can't use the way it is to determine how it was! If things changed again around the time of the flood (shortly after probably) and men no longer liver about a thousand years, and trees and plants no longer grew fast, and spacetime was the way became today...etc...then the present obviously cannot be used to determine the past belong THAT POINT in time!!!!!!

That is where science got lost, went wrong, and wandered off in space and godless la la land.

Amazing!

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
LOL! In that case, the YECs are in serious difficulties.
Explain how believing Jesus created the sun and moon and man from the dust, etc is making God look bad? God can take care of Himself, thanks. All He asks is that we believe.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Explain how believing Jesus created the sun and moon and man from the dust, etc is making God look bad? God can take care of Himself, thanks. All He asks is that we believe.
It's not that you believe it. People believe all kinds of weird things, including me.
It's your attitude that gets you a negative response.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's not that you believe it. People believe all kinds of weird things, including me.
It's your attitude that gets you a negative response.
Doesn't matter what you believe. You have no science, and your idea of creation is sick. God twiddling His thumbs while the big bang creates the universe in a way contrary to His word.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't matter what you believe. You have no science, and your idea of creation is sick. God twiddling His thumbs while the big bang creates the universe in a way contrary to His word.
There is an outstanding example of what I was talking about. As it has been a matter of recent discussion, you know full well that I do not subscribe to a view of creation in which God sits back "twiddling his thumbs" while naturalistic processes create and people the universe absent the continuous action of divine providence. As far as I can tell, you repeat this accusation merely to be disagreeable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is an outstanding example of what I was talking about. As it has been a matter of recent discussion, you know full well that I do not subscribe to a view of creation in which God sits back "twiddling his thumbs" while naturalistic processes create and people the universe absent the continuous action of divine providence. As far as I can tell, you repeat this accusation merely to be disagreeable.
Why not tell us what you subsribe to about creation then, briefly? In the other thread I recall some were basically claiming God created through the big bang and that live evolved and that was supposed to be God creating man. You seemed to be a cheerleader for them, so I assume you have similar views. Clarify.

What I want to know is if a person believes Jesus got some dust, and made a man like we make a vase with clay. Then, He breathed the life from God into that man and he was alive. This happened on one of the six days of creation, days that had real mornings and evenings. Do you believe that, and that there was a garden planted by God that He put man in, and then, at that point, there were no women on earth, but there was a man?? (that seems to make the evolution of life idea impossible right there).

Be simple and honest and clear. You see I have a problem with folks that misuse the word creation, and do not believe the bible record of creation that was confirmed all through the bible...while at the same time pretending they believe in the bible, and even that they are some sort of experts.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why not tell us what you subsribe to about creation then, briefly? In the other thread I recall some were basically claiming God created through the big bang and that live evolved and that was supposed to be God creating man. You seemed to be a cheerleader for them, so I assume you have similar views. Clarify.
I don't believe any of that could have gone on without the continuing and sustaining providence of God. The idea of a God who starts thing off and then sits back and twiddles his thumbs is a Deist notion unsuitable for a Christian.

What I want to know is if a person believes Jesus got some dust, and made a man like we make a vase with clay. Then, He breathed the life from God into that man and he was alive. This happened on one of the six days of creation, days that had real mornings and evenings. Do you believe that, and that there was a garden planted by God that He put man in, and then, at that point, there were no women on earth, but there was a man?? (that seems to make the evolution of life idea impossible right there).
The "Garden" story is an etiological folk myth which survived for an unknown amount of time in oral tradition before it was written down and redacted into the Pentateuch sometime around the end of the Exile. Its inspired author(s) had no idea of the scientific view of how man actually came into existence and no real need to know, anyway, even if they could have comprehended it; they were inspired to follow an entirely different literary agenda which transcended such bald facts.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As far as The HI Theory goes, one is for making something, the other for making things up.
So that is your best attempt at addressing how we know what the laws were when the meteors crashed, or rock melted on Mercury, or etc. OK. Very good try, don't be discouraged.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe any of that could have gone on without the continuing and sustaining providence of God. The idea of a God who starts thing off and then sits back and twiddles his thumbs is a Deist notion unsuitable for a Christian.
No it is front and center. If God wrote a book to man telling He created one way, and you claimed He actually didn't, the natural question is what part do you claim He had in the evolution of man or big bang? What, He clapped hands in a show of amazement? He was busy doing more important things..etc??
The "Garden" story is an etiological folk myth which survived for an unknown amount of time in oral tradition before it was written down and redacted into the Pentateuch sometime around the end of the Exile.
Thanks for openly admitting absolute non belief here.

If there was no real garden, tell us what else was not real..Adam? So when the New Testament traces lineage back to Adam, they are kidding? Eve, was she really deceived by Satan, that old serpent? Or was she really not taken from a bone of man and there reaaaalllly was no serpent etc? Did He realllllly create the sun on day 3?

When God formed man it was not providence! It was an act of creation. Specific. Timed. Detailed.
Its inspired author(s) had no idea of the scientific view of how man actually came into existence and no real need to know, anyway, even if they could have comprehended it; they were inspired to follow an entirely different literary agenda which transcended such bald facts.
There we have it! The inspired people God used for the bible had it wrong you say!!!!!! Their inspiration then could not be from God. You obviously hold man's silly wrong wisdom above God's word and inspiration of Scripture. The sad thing is, science as it turns out, had it wrong and really did not know after all. Some folks became turncoats for nothing!

I kid you not.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If God wrote a book...

God didn't write a book. He inspired men in various ways for various purposes to write the books which would eventually be compiled into the anthology we call "the Bible." No, I don't believe in Plenary Verbal Inspiration. I think it's a crock.

...the natural question is what part do you claim He had in the evolution of man or big bang? What, He clapped hands in a show of amazement? He was busy doing more important things..etc??
You think the natural world stays in existence and runs all by itself, do you?

Thanks for openly admitting absolute non belief here.
Yes, I'm a non-believer. I believe in God's authorship of the universe and that He has been active in human affairs throughout history. I believe in my salvation through the real death and bodily resurrection of His son Jesus Christ. Unfortunately I disbelieve in the only really important point of doctrine, the literal inerrancy of Genesis. Thank you for dictating the Christian faith to me.

The sad thing is, science as it turns out, had it wrong and really did not know after all. Some folks became turncoats for nothing!
The sad thing is, science is something you know very little about, as your "dissection" of that science paper clearly shows.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So that is your best attempt at addressing how we know what the laws were when the meteors crashed, or rock melted on Mercury, or etc. OK. Very good try, don't be discouraged.
There's a problem with assuming physical records of the past are not accurate because there is the possibility that some oddly specific past state could have existed which just precisely mimicked what we would see with the laws of physics being reliable. The trouble is "the past" doesn't begin with some distantly removed past. 5 seconds ago is the past. Last tuesday is the past. If you are assuming the events of last tuesday really happened, but not the events of an eon ago, you are essentially drawing some arbitrary line and ignoring everything from before that.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God didn't write a book. He inspired men in various ways for various purposes to write the books which would eventually be compiled into the anthology we call "the Bible." No, I don't believe in Plenary Verbal Inspiration. I think it's a crock.
Religious big words aside, yes God wrote a book, much of it is direct quotes of the Almighty, old and new testament, some even done by His finger. Jesus fulfiled the prophesies of that book and confirmed it was from God by rising from the dead. The apostles all knew this.

You think the natural world stays in existence and runs all by itself, do you?
what does this have to do with the issue of you answering what God was doing in your fable of creation by speck!? Should we take it that you think He possessed the hot soup speck and made it pop out all that is the universe today or something?? Be clear...no matter how ridiculous your position may be.
Yes, I'm a non-believer. I believe in God's authorship of the universe and that He has been active in human affairs throughout history.
So the odd appearance in our affairs eh? Ha. Not a real personal Friend and God. Sounds more like a pipe dream.

I believe in my salvation through the real death and bodily resurrection of His son Jesus Christ. Unfortunately I disbelieve in the only really important point of doctrine, the literal inerrancy of Genesis. .
So the one that raised from the dead was not the One that created the wold and all things as John says? If He was, then why didn't he scold Moses on the mountain that day he appeared to Him and Peter and John?? 'Hey, Mo you really got the record and order of creation wrong..'?? Why did Jesus refer to 'the creation'? If the world was first here, and later the moon sun and stars, then that makes a big bang impossible right there. Forget all the rest of the reasons.

The sad thing is, science is something you know very little about, as your "dissection" of that science paper clearly shows.
Let me guess, you can't quite say what!!!!!? Like your post clearly shows. I double dare you...

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's a problem with assuming physical records of the past are not accurate because there is the possibility that some oddly specific past state could have existed which just precisely mimicked what we would see with the laws of physics being reliable.
No there isn't. Unless you had knowledge of how it was and could show us, you MAY NOT ASSUME that at all. Let alone build anti Christ fables of another creation on it.

The trouble is "the past" doesn't begin with some distantly removed past. 5 seconds ago is the past. Last tuesday is the past. If you are assuming the events of last tuesday really happened, but not the events of an eon ago, you are essentially drawing some arbitrary line and ignoring everything from before that.
The time when things in the record of Scripture about the past really changed fast and a lot is after the flood, specifically in the days of Peleg. Your last week parable crumbles to dust.

Upvote 0