Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Cute Mormon, nice! :p She'd be a good grab! She doesn't drink caffeine, they're pretty moral, clean-cut, a touch naive. The only downside is the whole false prophet, spirit babies, magic underwear, Planet Kolob, lost bronze plates hidden in Palmyra, NY, secret marriage underground sealing ceremonies, false holy books, history of racism and polygamy, and overall weirdness. :p

Magic underwear? :confused:

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I generally find that discussing what we believe and how great it is is much better than going on the attack. The attack raises defenses. And, for instance, things like discussing history and the blatant contradiction between archaeological evidence and Mormon claims will not be a productive ground, given similar antagonism between the historical past and the claims of some Orthodox. It's better to go with more of a "yes, and..." attitude. They talk about the things that Mormonism provides them and their concerns, and you can demonstrate that, yes, we Orthodox are serving God, Jesus, and all that stuff (and that we do it better). But the most important thing is always humble love.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My family's experience with Mormonism was not great. A contractor my father hired years ago to do work on his house converted my father's then-wife to Mormonism (while he was on the clock and should've been working...), and it got pretty nasty between all involved when the missionaries who would show up to his house twice a week after that refused to go away after he told them politely that he was not comfortable with their visiting when he was not also present. I did not see all this myself (only a few incidents when I was visiting them from out of state), but from what little I did see it seems like Mormons are very nice and friendly on the surface, but can be pretty relentless and rude once they feel like they've hooked or are close to hooking someone, for lack of a better way to put it. I don't want to say "cultish", but if other people were to say it based on their own experiences (as that same ex-wife has subsequently said; she only lasted a little while in Mormonism before deciding it was just too creepy, I guess), it'd be hard to object.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
when Mormons came to my apartment when I was in college, I noticed they would try to prove the Great Apostasy by using Mormonism as the standard. so the question arose if they have any evidence anywhere to support that this great falling away happened. I would also recommend asking them stuff as if you are inquiring (that usually keeps them from getting defensive), and do it over some kind of snack/dessert. people are usually more relaxed when eating.

Upvote 0

Soderquj

May 29, 2012
✟8,195.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I posted my journey here, Mormon to Othodoxy converts share your conversion stories

On the appostasy all you need to do is ask how they know there was one because we can trace the church and its teaching back to the apostles.

PM me I have a docent that may help in your discussions

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

when Mormons came to my apartment when I was in college, I noticed they would try to prove the Great Apostasy by using Mormonism as the standard. so the question arose if they have any evidence anywhere to support that this great falling away happened. I would also recommend asking them stuff as if you are inquiring (that usually keeps them from getting defensive), and do it over some kind of snack/dessert. people are usually more relaxed when eating.

Granted I asked for evidence in a different thread .... I can easily disprove Mormon claims using science.

Also Mormons can have caffeine but not coffee coffee or tea. So soda and energy drinks are ok. This is from a strict Mormon I work with who tried to covert me.He told me the no soda thing is a sort of from overzelous laity who are not well versed in doctrine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Temple garments.

Not to mock them, but, essentially they're magical long johns that proffer spiritual protection.

Yes, I deleted my second question and decided to google it. At least I see why they never came up in conversation.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Upvote 0

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟14,992.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not very flattering if you ask me:

Garment.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

SeventhValley

You should ask them for DNA evidence of their claims on the origins of Native Americans.

People always will throw out unsupported beliefs when confronted with evidence.

"sarcasm"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Cute Mormon, nice! :p She'd be a good grab! She doesn't drink caffeine, they're pretty moral, cleancut, a touch naive. The only downside is the whole false prophet, spirit babies, magic underwear, Planet Kolob, lost bronze plates hidden in Palmyra, NY, secret marriage underground sealing ceremonies, false holy books, history of racism and polygamy, and overall weirdness. :p

Yeah that's why I'm convinced Mormons remain mormon or covert to it because of the social success of their collective community. I cant fathom that they actually believe the theological nonsense of their religion.
The fact that they have the lowest divorce rates, higher than average incomes, more kids than the national average, usually are above the social problems of other sub-groups is what would draw people to them. Definately not their theology.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kylissa, Kylissa, Kylissa....my sister in Christ doesn't know about Mormon Magic Underwear....I'd expect MORE from you! :p:sorry:

Yes, I deleted my second question and decided to google it. At least I see why they never came up in conversation.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

Yeah that's why I'm convinced Mormons remain mormon or covert to it because of the social success of their collective community. I cant fathom that they actually believe the theological nonsense of their religion.
The fact that they have the lowest divorce rates, higher than average incomes, more kids than the national average, usually are above the social problems of other sub-groups is what would draw people to them. Definately not their theology.

Those are the same reasons Christianity spread. Both were persecuted also.

Their theology is heretical but no more unbelievable than alot of the Bible.

Upvote 0