Old Newbie
Oct 9, 2013
Florida USA
✟15,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Please, I know there will be some scorn for even the mention of these 2 groups but, I am studying them as best as I can with what little info there is. Forget the groups in Russia today ... my question points at the 2 groups here in the USA today.

I've read most of the history from 1917 to 2003 or so; I've read about the rejection to merge with MP. It seems that all (or most) info stops by 2007.

Can anyone help?

In Christ,

Poppa J, the sinner.

Poppa J

Old Newbie
Oct 9, 2013
Florida USA
✟15,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
isn't ROCA just another name for ROCOR? cause if it is then they are back under the MP

ROCA was originally joined to OR part of 'ROCOR' during the commie years then separated when talks of unification with MP began (me thinks). ROCA still carries the name of ROCOR-V and is the original (according to my readings).
Someone help me if I'm wrong :blush:

Upvote 0

Poppa J

Old Newbie
Oct 9, 2013
Florida USA
✟15,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There were/are a number of schismatic offshoots that have originated from ROCOR various times before their reuniting with the MP in 2007. Even Gregory's monastery out in Colorado was one of these. I thought there were currently 4 sects but who knows.

"but who knows?" Exactly why I posted this one.

Upvote 0

Shiranui117

Sack of Hammers
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
✟16,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
ROCA was originally joined to OR part of 'ROCOR' during the commie years then separated when talks of unification with MP began (me thinks). ROCA still carries the name of ROCOR-V and is the original (according to my readings).
Someone help me if I'm wrong :blush:
Assuming ROCA (Russian Orthodox Church Abroad) in the US is the same as ROKA (Russische-orthodoxe Kirche im Ausland) here in Austria, they're the same thing as ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia)--just a slightly different name.

ROAC (Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church), on the other hand, is an Old Calendarist schismatic group that refuses to recognize anyone who uses or accepts as legitimate the New Calendar. They appear to be ecclesiastically isolated and refuse communion with any of the mainstream Orthodox Churches, and regard the Moscow Patriarchate, Ecumenical Patriarchate, etc. as schismatics and heretics. Also, they only have 5 parishes in the entire world (that should tell you something.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

searn77

Orthodox Christian - TOC
Jan 20, 2013
✟96,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I haven't read it yet but Vladimir Moss wrote on the history of ROCOR & the synods that come from ROCOR which may be of interest to you. You can find it on his website.

Also, while ROAC only has 5 parishes in the USA, they have more parishes worldwide.

Lastly, I would try asking this question on the Traditional Orthodox forum since there are people from both ROAC & ROCA there. I can't post any links because of this forum's rule regarding new posters so feel free to message me if you don't know the links to Moss's website or the Traditional Orthodox forum.

Upvote 0