Lexington, Ky
✟8,053.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heero Yuy said:
whats the difference between Baptist and Pentecostal

Although there is diversity of thought in both traditions, I think the following generalizations are fair:

Pentecostals believe that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is subsequent to salvation, whereas, Baptists believe that it is occurs at salvation.

Pentecostals think the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is an enduement of power for service and witness. Baptists believe it is the gracious act whereby we are incorporated into the body of Christ.

Pentecostals believe that glossolalia is the initial evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. Obviously, Baptist who are cessationists do not agree with this article of faith. Those who believe that the gifts are for today, usually do not ascribe to any particular charismatic gift as being evidential.

Baptists typically believe in eternal security, whereas, most Pentecostals do not.

I am certain there may be other differences, but this might get things started.

Upvote 0

Marissa

Feb 15, 2004
✟16,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a pentecostal who attends a baptist chruch.

I find few differences between my beliefs and my churches beliefs, however even though I've a pentecostal I'm at odds with a lot of other pentecostals.

As already stated there is a difference in opinion about the baptism of the holy spirit. Pentecostals do believe it occurs after salvation, with some believing tongues to be the initial evidence of the baptism of the holy spirit. Baptists believe it happens at salvation.

The prosperity doctrine that is prevalent in so many pentecostal churches today isn't as strong amongst baptists. It's there, and from what I've seen it's growing, but it's not yet in every church. Ditto for the love doctrine and the movement to "unify the church", regardless of the treatment of truth in other denominations. Those that do buy into these doctrines are in my experience simply clones of many of their pentecostal neighbours.

There is also less of an emphasis on tithing amongst baptists. Whether baptists tithe or not I don't know, but it's not preached every sunday as it is in so many pentecostals these day.

Pentecostal churches seem more willing to put a female into a pastors role. I've yet to meet a baptist that doesn't flinch at that.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. It really depends on what sort of pentecostal you're talking about, and what sort of baptist as well. They can be identical or worlds apart.

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At the Baptist church which I attend, tithing is mentioned from time to time, but not very often. However, we tithe, and I feel safe in saying that many of the other members also tithe. God has certainly blessed our church in many ways. For a while there, (3 years) the members gave extra, according to the way we felt God was leading us, and made a huge down payment on a multipurpose building that we badly needed.

Our former pastor (who left amicably) used to have a saying that he used when preaching on tithing. He would say, "I've never had a tither complain about a tithing sermon."

Upvote 0

Marissa

Feb 15, 2004
✟16,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lenora56 said:
Our former pastor (who left amicably) used to have a saying that he used when preaching on tithing. He would say, "I've never had a tither complain about a tithing sermon."

You have now, 'cause I'm a tither.

It's not a tithing sermon I have a problem with. It's a tithing sermon every week that I consider inappropriate, especially when it's backed up by an unbiblical prosperity doctrine.

Upvote 0
A

Amongst the Flock

Iollain said:
Pentecostals seem to sing a bit louder and raise their hands a bit more readily than Baptists, we could learn a lot from them, as long as it's Biblical of course.

Read Psalm 149 or Psalm 150. Pentecostal sing because of the joy of salvation and are so excited that we have been set free from the law of sin and death and let every member of our body shout out in praise. Psalm 150 talks about how to dance and praise the Lord with clashing cymbals and pretty much let lose for the Lord.

There is nothing in the Bible that says watch the choir sing or stand like a stiff board and mumble under our breath.

I am not saying that baptists don't praise the Lord just because they have a different approach. I know Baptist that lift hands and get fired up for Jesus when they sing. You don't have to lift your hands but if you want to there shouldn't be others restricting your worship style. There are plenty that attend Pentecostal churches that stand around and don't participate in the lifting of hands. Pentecostal churches just don't have a rule restricting people from clapping, dancing, or raising hands. We don't worry about how others worship. Biblically it says we can dance and shout to the Lord and have a free style of worship.

Often other say you are drawing attention to yourself or are a distraction. When we praise the Lord we should be in accord with one another and not worry what the other person is doing or how they sing. Everyone should be thanking the Lord personally for the blessings in their own life and how he is so faithful and true in everything we do.

Peace, Love, and Joy to all. :)

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Marissa said:
You have now, 'cause I'm a tither...

I didin't say that I had never heard a tither complain. I quoted the preacher as saying that he hadn't.

...It's not a tithing sermon I have a problem with. It's a tithing sermon every week that I consider inappropriate, especially when it's backed up by an unbiblical prosperity doctrine.

I see what you mean; however, this pastor would agree with you on both counts (the every-week thing and the prosperity doctrine). And if he had given a tithing sermon every week, I'm sure that tithers would have complained. I feel the same way that you do concerning that.

Upvote 0

Marissa

Feb 15, 2004
✟16,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lenora56 said:
I didin't say that I had never heard a tither complain. I quoted the preacher as saying that he hadn't.

My apologies. My impression from your post was that you felt my comments on tithing were simply because I don't tithe. My mistake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DiscipleOfIAm

Nov 10, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟8,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is the "Prosperity Doctrine"? I don't think I've heard of it or had it explained to me.

I had a huge response typed out to the OP, but hit the wrong button and lost it. Don't you hate that? I'm not going to spend another 30 minutes typing it again, so God must not have wanted me to communicate something in that reply. There must have been something in there that would have been taken the wrong way or started a debate. Something. He knows, not me.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Marissa said:
My apologies. My impression from your post was that you felt my comments on tithing were simply because I don't tithe. My mistake.

No prob...all is well. :thumbsup:

An edit:

Okay, I see now that you had already posted something, and it must have seemed that I was aiming at you. My apologies too. I'm glad you said something. I wouldn't want you to continue thinking that my post was referring to you.

Upvote 0

dsided4him

May 29, 2005
✟144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been attending a Pentecostal church on Sunday and a Baptist church (SBC) during the week. I still wonder what the doctrinal differences are beyond the question of the Holy Spirit baptism.

Perhaps it's the area we live in, but the only thing I am seeing as different is one of conservative and liberal worship. The Baptist church we attend is monotone in their music, very 22 minutes only in their preaching, and rather predictable in their service (my favorite). The Pentecostal church is the exact opposite. The music is vibrant, the preaching is over when the preacher finally collapses, and the service lets out when the last person closes the door behind them (wife's favorite).

Regardless of the differences in approach, I don't think at this point I would trade the fellowship of either church for any doctinal difference.

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In our Baptist church, you can raise your hands or not, clap or not, sit or stand, whatever the Spirit leads for you particularly. Our music ministers (husband & wife team) used to be Pentecostal. Everybody loves them & I think our music ministry is great. Before they came, it was already pretty lively, and they just fit right in.

dsided4him said:
I have been attending a Pentecostal church on Sunday and a Baptist church (SBC) during the week. I still wonder what the doctrinal differences are beyond the question of the Holy Spirit baptism.

Perhaps it's the area we live in, but the only thing I am seeing as different is one of conservative and liberal worship. The Baptist church we attend is monotone in their music, very 22 minutes only in their preaching, and rather predictable in their service (my favorite). The Pentecostal church is the exact opposite. The music is vibrant, the preaching is over when the preacher finally collapses, and the service lets out when the last person closes the door behind them (wife's favorite).

Regardless of the differences in approach, I don't think at this point I would trade the fellowship of either church for any doctinal difference.

Upvote 0

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Amongst the Flock said:
Read Psalm 149 or Psalm 150. Pentecostal sing because of the joy of salvation and are so excited that we have been set free from the law of sin and death and let every member of our body shout out in praise. Psalm 150 talks about how to dance and praise the Lord with clashing cymbals and pretty much let lose for the Lord.

There is nothing in the Bible that says watch the choir sing or stand like a stiff board and mumble under our breath.

I am not saying that baptists don't praise the Lord just because they have a different approach. I know Baptist that lift hands and get fired up for Jesus when they sing. You don't have to lift your hands but if you want to there shouldn't be others restricting your worship style. There are plenty that attend Pentecostal churches that stand around and don't participate in the lifting of hands. Pentecostal churches just don't have a rule restricting people from clapping, dancing, or raising hands. We don't worry about how others worship. Biblically it says we can dance and shout to the Lord and have a free style of worship.

Often other say you are drawing attention to yourself or are a distraction. When we praise the Lord we should be in accord with one another and not worry what the other person is doing or how they sing. Everyone should be thanking the Lord personally for the blessings in their own life and how he is so faithful and true in everything we do.

Peace, Love, and Joy to all. :)

Heya:) thanks for the Scriptures

We don't have a rule against it either but we could stand a few Pentecostals coming to visit once in awhile if ya know what i mean ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Marissa

Feb 15, 2004
✟16,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
DiscipleOfIAm said:
What is the "Prosperity Doctrine"? I don't think I've heard of it or had it explained to me.

In a nutshell, we're all supposed to be incredibly rich.

The general idea behind it is that if we give to the Lord, at a minimum with tithes, then the Lord will make us financially wealthy. There's a multiplier effect. The more you give, the more it's multiplied when you get it back.

It's entirely unbiblical.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." (1 Timothy 6:10 NKJV)

"Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]" (Hebrews 13:5 Amp).

What I personally believe shows it's true nature more than anything, other than the fact it directly contradicts the bible, is the sheer amount of time so many pastors spend on it. God can support his own church. He doesn't need his pastors spending every moment from the pulpit bribing their congregation to get more money. Not when the pastor could be teaching sound biblical doctrine instead.

Many of the prosperity preachers don't even mention the gospel anymore. People are compelled to accept Christ not because they're convicted of sin and require the salvation only he offers, but because they're promised that God will give them whatever they want. So long as they give to the pastor. Which unfortunately fills the church with people who aren't saved, but rather deceived and who end up with nothing that they were promised. Neither salvation nor riches.

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfIAm

Nov 10, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟8,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Marissa said:
In a nutshell, we're all supposed to be incredibly rich.

The general idea behind it is that if we give to the Lord, at a minimum with tithes, then the Lord will make us financially wealthy. There's a multiplier effect. The more you give, the more it's multiplied when you get it back.

It's entirely unbiblical.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." (1 Timothy 6:10 NKJV)

"Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]" (Hebrews 13:5 Amp).

What I personally believe shows it's true nature more than anything, other than the fact it directly contradicts the bible, is the sheer amount of time so many pastors spend on it. God can support his own church. He doesn't need his pastors spending every moment from the pulpit bribing their congregation to get more money. Not when the pastor could be teaching sound biblical doctrine instead.

Many of the prosperity preachers don't even mention the gospel anymore. People are compelled to accept Christ not because they're convicted of sin and require the salvation only he offers, but because they're promised that God will give them whatever they want. So long as they give to the pastor. Which unfortunately fills the church with people who aren't saved, but rather deceived and who end up with nothing that they were promised. Neither salvation nor riches.

That's terrible! I was always taught that you gave 10% of your income because God commanded you to, not because you'll get money back or something.

However, having said that, I have also been taught that you will receive your money back in a way. I'm not sure if I'm saying it right. There was Biblical backing to this and I cannot remember the verses. I have experienced it firsthand. My wife and I were in a bad financial situation and could barely afford food, but we gave our 10% and without fail, we would receive a reimbursement check from an overpayment on a credit card, or a check from a family member would come in the mail, a rebate we forgot about would come, there was always something and we knew it was from God. We didn't get rich, but we made it through the tough time and it was due to our faith in God that we knew He would provide and He did. Not sure if this is the same thing or not.

Any Biblical basis for this or am I crazy? I definately don't agree with the Prosperity Doctrine. What a crock!

God Bless

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
DiscipleOfIAm said:
That's terrible! I was always taught that you gave 10% of your income because God commanded you to, not because you'll get money back or something.

However, having said that, I have also been taught that you will receive your money back in a way. I'm not sure if I'm saying it right. There was Biblical backing to this and I cannot remember the verses. I have experienced it firsthand. My wife and I were in a bad financial situation and could barely afford food, but we gave our 10% and without fail, we would receive a reimbursement check from an overpayment on a credit card, or a check from a family member would come in the mail, a rebate we forgot about would come, there was always something and we knew it was from God. We didn't get rich, but we made it through the tough time and it was due to our faith in God that we knew He would provide and He did. Not sure if this is the same thing or not.

Any Biblical basis for this or am I crazy? I definately don't agree with the Prosperity Doctrine. What a crock!

God Bless

Nah I don't think you're crazy. You were faithful to God and He got you through some hard times. That's different from when someone gets up there and encourages you to give more and more to them, and says you don't have riches because you don't have the faith to give your money to them. That's how some leaders use the doctrine.

Upvote 0

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DiscipleOfIAm said:

God Bless

Nope, you're not crazy. God has definitely promised to meet our NEEDS. Phillipians 4:19 Actually, Phillippians 4 talks about how the Phillippians, although needy, through giving to God and taking care of Paul, would have their need met.

There is a big difference between a need and a want. Tithing does not mean that God will give you Mercedes. He may provide a Ford Focus instead, but it will meet your needs to get from point A to B. Trusting God to put food on the table, like George Mueller, is different from expecting God to provide the Brut and Caviar.

The prosperity gospel teaches that unless you give, you will have financial difficulty, and if you give, you will have inexplicable bounty. The motivation in giving to God, is to get great gain from God.

But God does not care for His children based on their giving. He will provide for their needs, and as a further challenge, He tells us to tithe. Malachi 3:10, 1 Corinthians 16:2 When things are tight, it takes faith to obey and to tithe. But if we do, God promises us a blessing. Not riches, a blessing. And as you've personally experienced, as you're seeing in this thread, those with the biggest blessings often are the least expensive. It may not seem like a lot of money to some folks to get a 25 dollar rebate check, but when that's exactly how much you need, exactly when you need it, it might as well be the jackpot lotto ticket. I think that those who are trusting God to provide for their needs are more blessed than those who have enough money to buy whatever they want. God loves a cheerful giver, but that giver is happy to give, not because he expects a huge payback, but rather, because God has given him so much, and he is happy to obey his Lord.

Do you see how the motivation, and the results, of the prosperity gospel differ with God's pattern of giving?

Reactions: ps139
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.