Differences between Arminian, Calvinist, and Lutheranist?

K

kristea516

I'm not really that studied regarding Lutheranism, so I can't tell you much on it. However, Arminians are syncretists meaning they believe salvation is both a work of God and man. You will here them say things like "I asked God into my heart" or "I accepted Jesus." Calvinists & Lutherans are Monergists meaning they believe God does all the work in salvation. You may hear them say they have been regenerated.

Upvote 0

Constantine I

Mar 9, 2015
✟7,642.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not really that studied regarding Lutheranism, so I can't tell you much on it. However, Arminians are syncretists meaning they believe salvation is both a work of God and man. You will here them say things like "I asked God into my heart" or "I accepted Jesus." Calvinists & Lutherans are Monergists meaning they believe God does all the work in salvation. You may hear them say they have been regenerated.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,824.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
https://feileadhmor.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/calvinism-chart/

From the Calvinism Chart linked above:

6. Lutheranism
Beliefs: That Calvinist over emphasize God Sovereignty over man’s responsibility. That Christ died for all in legal sense, that some are predestined on to life but none are predestined onto death. That the sacraments are means of grace regardless of one’s faith. Proponents: Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchthon, Rod Rosenbladt

7. American Baptist
Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. Once a persons believes the gospel, he is eternally secure. Rejects Calvinism, some would even call it heretical. Proponents: Jerry Falwell, Adrian Rogers

8. Arminianism
Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is solely based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. A person can fall from the state of grace i.e. lose ones salvation, since it is our free will that chooses Christ at conversion. Proponents: Jacob Arminius, John Wesley some Methodists

"Calvinism" has a few different flav's, just see the link above.

Upvote 0

Constantine I

Mar 9, 2015
✟7,642.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
All Calvinists listed on the chart are in fact Calvinsts with variations.

What is one called if he believes only the devoted get eternal salvation? I wish everyone was saved but the bible doesn't seem to support that. What would I be called if I think only those who believe Jesus is The Lord and Savior go to heaven?

Upvote 0

Striver

"There is still hope."
Feb 27, 2004
South Carolina
✟24,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm way oversimplifying here, but more or less, Lutheranism and Calvinism generated near the same time. I would liken them to close cousins. Both are reformed in the greater sense, but there are distinctions.

It is my understanding that Lutherans are a little more open to paradox and mystery. I feel like such a statement warrants a long essay or volume to support it, and without stepping on my Reformed Baptist and Lutheran brothers' toes, I would say that where Calvinism more or less maintains double predestination (meaning both the condemned and saved are known beforehand, ie: predestined) Lutherans would maintain that the saved are but that we can't necessarily go as far on the condemned to say that they are created predestined to hell. A lot of this comes about through their focus on salvation by grace alone and justification, where I would say Calvinism has a slightly different focus.

This tension exists elsewhere as well.

Here are a couple intriguing articles on why we talk about "Calvinistic Baptists" (or Reformed Baptists) but don't have "Lutheran Baptists:"

Calvinist Baptists, But No ?Lutheran? Baptists? | David T. Koyzis | First Things
Why We Don?t Have Lutheran Baptists | Collin Garbarino | First Things

As those blogs allude to, I think Calvinism could be packaged such that the soteriology could be ported over to Baptists ecclesiology, whereas Lutheranism derives from a more catholic (little "c") faith where separating the two is not as easy.

I probably managed to tick off 20-30 members here in this post, but I would more or less maintain the above, with some room to quibble on my first point about predestination.

Arminians enter the picture in the form of the Remonstrants. Obviously, each side will argue their continuity with Christianity prior to the Catholic corruption and subsequent Reformation, but Arminianism is descended from the Reformed (Calvin) in the sense that it grew out of Reformed theology.

It's all very interesting, because Calvin and Luther were a lot closer on communion than say Calvin is to a Baptist, yet we have Calvinist Baptists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kristea

Jun 18, 2007
Denton, TX
✟15,114.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What is one called if he believes only the devoted get eternal salvation? I wish everyone was saved but the bible doesn't seem to support that. What would I be called if I think only those who believe Jesus is The Lord and Savior go to heaven?

It is good that you wish all would be saved; all Christians should feel the same way.

If you feel that the devoted will be granted salvation, that would probably fall in line with what an Arminian would support due to salvation being by the work of man (dependent on one's level of devotion).

Belief in who Jesus is, is necessary in the one who professes to be a Christian, however, even demons know who Jesus is and fear Him.

I believe the Bible teaches that salvation is solely the work of God and man can do nothing to earn salvation (Ephesians 2:8).

However, one's devotion is an indicator of a regenerated soul.

Upvote 0

Constantine I

Mar 9, 2015
✟7,642.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is good that you wish all would be saved; all Christians should feel the same way.

If you feel that the devoted will be granted salvation, that would probably fall in line with what an Arminian would support due to salvation being by the work of man (dependent on one's level of devotion).

Belief in who Jesus is, is necessary in the one who professes to be a Christian, however, even demons know who Jesus is and fear Him.

I believe the Bible teaches that salvation is solely the work of God and man can do nothing to earn salvation (Ephesians 2:8).

However, one's devotion is an indicator of a regenerated soul.

Thank you for the well thought out response :)

Upvote 0

Constantine I

Mar 9, 2015
✟7,642.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm way oversimplifying here, but more or less, Lutheranism and Calvinism generated near the same time. I would liken them to close cousins. Both are reformed in the greater sense, but there are distinctions.

It is my understanding that Lutherans are a little more open to paradox and mystery. I feel like such a statement warrants a long essay or volume to support it, and without stepping on my Reformed Baptist and Lutheran brothers' toes, I would say that where Calvinism more or less maintains double predestination (meaning both the condemned and saved are known beforehand, ie: predestined) Lutherans would maintain that the saved are but that we can't necessarily go as far on the condemned to say that they are created predestined to hell. A lot of this comes about through their focus on salvation by grace alone and justification, where I would say Calvinism has a slightly different focus.

This tension exists elsewhere as well.

Here are a couple intriguing articles on why we talk about "Calvinistic Baptists" (or Reformed Baptists) but don't have "Lutheran Baptists:"

As those blogs allude to, I think Calvinism could be packaged such that the soteriology could be ported over to Baptists ecclesiology, whereas Lutheranism derives from a more catholic (little "c") faith where separating the two is not as easy.

I probably managed to tick off 20-30 members here in this post, but I would more or less maintain the above, with some room to quibble on my first point about predestination.

Arminians enter the picture in the form of the Remonstrants. Obviously, each side will argue their continuity with Christianity prior to the Catholic corruption and subsequent Reformation, but Arminianism is descended from the Reformed (Calvin) in the sense that it grew out of Reformed theology.

It's all very interesting, because Calvin and Luther were a lot closer on communion than say Calvin is to a Baptist, yet we have Calvinist Baptists.

Thank you for the help!

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,824.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
There is no tension between the sovereignty of God and human responsibility as revealed in scripture. The problem arises when we seek to reconcile the two concept philosophically. The best defence of scriptural Calvinism was written by Luther who explains it in detail. Historically Baptists of the Calvinist stripe were called Particular Baptists and not Reformed Baptists. My guess based on extensive reading; Reformed referred to the continental church and they were paedobaptists. Sometime during the 1960's Particular Baptists, to draw a line between them and Dispensational Calvinist and antinomian Baptists, started using Reformed before Baptist. This way they could identify to the world that they held to the third use of the law, covenant theology as well as Calvinism.

Hope that helps.

JM

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When I get a chance ill try to expand on strivers comments, though Calvinist teaching is separated by two different branches. The primary generic stance only believes in predestination of saints, while the secondary generic group adds predestination of unbelievers.

My weakness will be giving a respectful view to Arminianism because its too broad a category nowadays. I would probably add some that claim to be reformed into this group, like Rick Warren, and divide it between semipelegians and classical arminianism Lutherans definitely live by paradox which if your a hardline Calvinist could drive you crazy. Also, Lutherans would belong to the high church group.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,824.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If you want to know what a Calvinist believes...read the Reformed Confessions.

The chart link I posted covers the different groups of Calvinist and there are more than two. But yes, Arminianism, due to its inherent ideas of total libertarian freewill, is all over the place.

jm

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Kristea516,

Welcome to the forum. I see that this is your first post.

You stated that 'Arminians are syncretists meaning they believe salvation is both a work of God and man'. Do you know the difference between syncretists and synergism? Could you be referring to synergism and not syncretists?

It is disappointing in this, your first post, that you provide not one piece of evidence to support your false claim that Arminians 'believe salvation is both a work of God and man'. This is false as a reading of James Arminius will tell us.

In his exposition on 'The Justification of man before God', James Arminius wrote:
I believe that sinners are accounted righteous solely by the obedience of Christ; and that the righteousness of Christ is the only meritorious cause on account of which God pardons the sins of believers and reckons them as righteous as if they had perfectly fulfilled the law. But since God imputes the righteousness of Christ to none except believers, I conclude that, in this sense, it may be well and properly said, to a man who believes, faith is imputed for righteousness through grace, because God hath set forth his Son, Jesus Christ, to be a propitiation, a throne of grace, [or mercy seat] through faith in his blood (Works of James Arminius, vol 1, IX).
Arminians believe that sinners are declared righteous only through the work of God and Christ. Arminians do not conclude that salvation is both a work of God and man. Arminius declared:
I am not conscious to myself, of having taught or entertained any other sentiments concerning the justification of man before God, than those which are held unanimously by the Reformed and Protestant Churches, and which are in complete agreement with their expressed opinions (Works of James Arminius, vol 1, IX).
There is much false information in the public market place about the beliefs of Arminianism. If you are interested in some clarification on this topic, I recommend Roger E. Olson 2006. Arminian Theology: Myths and Realities. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP Academic.

In Christ,
Oz

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ozpen, that is true. But Arminianism isn't purely that anymore. Also, people can say they believe Arminian view you posted, then turn around and use language supporting her stance when discussing the gospel. Even some reformed do the same thing.

When people say, "I asked Jesus in my heart...", they are using language aligned with her statements, not yours

Upvote 0