Did you know the Sanhedrin was re-established by a Queen?

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Doing some studying up on the Intertestamental period and found some interesting bits of info.

Here's a genealogical diagram to help you keep score.

Maccabees.gif

Salome Alexandra married Judas Aristobulus I He was the son of John Hyrcanus I grandson of Judas Maccabee. When he died childless she then married his brother, Alexander Jannaeus and had two sons by him.

Queen Salome creates the Sanhedrin

Not long after that, the Pharisees, a powerful school of rabbis, incited a revolt that would turn into a six-year-long civil war, in which 50,000 Jews were killed.

At that point the Pharisees appealed to the Seleucid Empire for help, but the rebellion petered out after the Judeans decided they preferred to be ruled by a tyrant of their own then one ruling from Antioch. Alexander Jannaeus died in 76 BCE, leaving his kingdom to his wife, Queen Salome Alexandra.

The queen secured her power by siding with the Pharisees and establishing a rabbinical council with religious legislative powers and judicial authority - the Sanhedrin. She also built up the Judean army and fortified many of Judea’s cities and appointed her son Hyrcanus II as high priest - before dying in 67 BCE, and transferring the reins to him.

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-features/1.633308

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoshiyya

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Doing some studying up on the Intertestamental period and found some interesting bits of info.

Here's a genealogical diagram to help you keep score.

Maccabees.gif

Salome Alexandra married Judas Aristobulus I He was the son of John Hyrcanus I grandson of Judas Maccabee. When he died childless she then married his brother, Alexander Jannaeus and had two sons by him.

Queen Salome creates the Sanhedrin

Not long after that, the Pharisees, a powerful school of rabbis, incited a revolt that would turn into a six-year-long civil war, in which 50,000 Jews were killed.

At that point the Pharisees appealed to the Seleucid Empire for help, but the rebellion petered out after the Judeans decided they preferred to be ruled by a tyrant of their own then one ruling from Antioch. Alexander Jannaeus died in 76 BCE, leaving his kingdom to his wife, Queen Salome Alexandra.

The queen secured her power by siding with the Pharisees and establishing a rabbinical council with religious legislative powers and judicial authority - the Sanhedrin. She also built up the Judean army and fortified many of Judea’s cities and appointed her son Hyrcanus II as high priest - before dying in 67 BCE, and transferring the reins to him.

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-features/1.633308
Fascinating :)

Upvote 0