Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Didnt go to a christian school but sometimes we had bible but dont ever remember much about it. We did sometimes pray but it was never regular in primary.

High school was nothing, totally agnostic, secular environment, where achievement was everything. However I did have some christian friends and they hung out with me. They had lunchtime fellowships.

Later at university some christians witnessed to me and planted seeds. i wasnt born again until I reached 30

Upvote 0

Josho

Oct 18, 2016
Somewhere in Australia
✟16,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did, in the end though a lot of kids either lost their faith or dropped their Christian morals, because of non-christian influences. I survived though and now I'm a stronger believer than ever before. It would be best to pray about it and check with the Lord before choosing a school for your kids. Into todays day and age in the western world, there is probably only a few good Christian schools, where kids live Christ-like lives.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I find there are more christian schools than there used to be in my area. I am thinking of teaching at a christian school, all the primary ones i have taught or helped in were secular. I applied for one and the principal was like a witch. I got the witchy vibe from her. I didnt get the job of course because she knew I was a christian.
However some primary schools have christian principals but they arent allowed obviously to preach or teach against the govt set curriculum. Many primary school teachers are christian. Less high school, and university is mostly atheist and agnostic.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dont know about the western world...i suppose in europe and america its different. I wouldnt consider nz to be western.

When i grew up it was just state school or catholic in my area. Nobody went to a catholic school if their familiy wasnt catholic. The rare person that did, chose it for other reasons, and the ones i knew who went to them werent obviously christian.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
yes or no, and if you did did it help or hinder your faith?

Just been thinking about them lately. Can be any year even tertiary.
I went to a Christian school in 10th and 11th grade. I hated it, suffered spiritual abuse at the hands of fundementalists. I was told I was disrespecting God by using the NIV because it doesn't capitalize he when talking about God, not Christian because I didn't believe in Dispensationalism, and even told my Depression was caused by demons. That's also not to mention never getting sex education in health class, and completely ignoring evolution in biology.

My alma mater is a Christian university. I loved it, and miss it. They foster spiritual and intellectual growth, and aren't afraid of the tough questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grandvizier1006

Seeking a life that honors God.
Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I did for my elementary school years. They taught me basic Bible stories (and made us memorize Bible verses, which I disliked since it was just more work), and otherwise had a good program. Some of the teachers were very nice to me, it was just the kids that were mean sometimes. Looking back it was kind of strict but it wasn't all bad, although since it was in the south and cost money to get into there weren't many non-white children, not that they promoted racism or anything. The school was also connected to a church building so it was fairly large.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I went to a Catholic elementary school from preschool to 3rd grade, another for 8th grade, and a Catholic high school. My college wasn't religious but had a multi-faith room, a chapel, and could give ashes on Ash Wednesday.
give ashes???

uh.
Can you explain?
Seems everyone went to catholic school but I'm asking about christian schools not just catholic. I'm sure other denoms have them or non-denominational.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did for my elementary school years. They taught me basic Bible stories (and made us memorize Bible verses, which I disliked since it was just more work), and otherwise had a good program. Some of the teachers were very nice to me, it was just the kids that were mean sometimes. Looking back it was kind of strict but it wasn't all bad, although since it was in the south and cost money to get into there weren't many non-white children, not that they promoted racism or anything. The school was also connected to a church building so it was fairly large.
I think a lot of christian schools you have to pay to go to, like a friends who was paying for her daughters cost $7000 a year. Because its not govt funded.
But I've heard there are some free ones.
Catholic schools I think you have to pay. And generally the high school catholics ones are single-sex although I know a presybeterian one also thats single sex as had a job interview there once. It was posh as anything. I felt intimidated.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If I taught in one it would (ideally)have to be non-denom because I don't agree and was never brought up demoniationally catholic, or presbyterian or anglican for that matter. It would have to be just a plain christian school, of which there are a few around now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟198,195.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
If I taught in one it would (ideally)have to be non-denom because I don't agree and was never brought up demoniationally catholic, or presbyterian or anglican for that matter. It would have to be just a plain christian school, of which there are a few around now.

I don't think it necessarily matters if you don't belong to the denomination that the school is part of. In fact, my sister used to teach at a school which was at one point affiliated to the Anglican church (although I'm not sure if they still identify themselves as a "Christian" school), and some of her fellow teachers were Muslims. They just stuck to teacher their own subjects, and the religious side of things was handled by someone else.

She's now teaching at a Catholic school, despite not being Catholic, and it's a similar setup. So for some of these schools, the exact details as to what you believe are less important than your ability as a teacher.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟198,195.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Dont know about the western world...i suppose in europe and america its different. I wouldnt consider nz to be western.

Then what do you consider New Zealand? The majority of the country is of European descent, which is generally what's required to make it a Western society (the name has nothing to do with geographic location if that's your objection). I don't know to what extend Maori culture plays a role in New Zealand society, so things may be a bit different from other Western countries, but from what I do know about New Zealand, the Maori influence doesn't appear to be dominant enough for the country not be regarded as Western.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
give ashes???

uh.
Can you explain?
Seems everyone went to catholic school but I'm asking about christian schools not just catholic. I'm sure other denoms have them or non-denominational.

What I meany by that is that my college had a multifaith section, and on Ash Wednesday there was a priest there who would make a cross of ashes on our foreheads if we chose to come. There were also free Bibles that we could have so I got one there, and I still have it.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My primary school was State, secondary also (and was barely human never mind Christian!), whilst my tertiary was positively riddled with liberal christians and probably less biblical than my primary school (where we at least had Christian assemblies and prayers).

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Seeking a life that honors God.
Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For what it's worth mine was Presbyterian. There aren't a lot of Catholics where I live.

Upvote 0