Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There have been various claims over the years. Here is an interesting report from a recent expedition. Lots of photos. Apparently they have now tested at least one of the "rocks" and confirmed it as fossilized wood. In one description they call it "aircraft carrier sized".

www.arkfever.com

-lee-

charityagape

Blue Chicken Gives You Horns
May 6, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟24,930.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if they've found it or not, its been claimed before. I do have a purely curious academic question though, the article claims the ark was found on a peak 13,120 feet above sea level.

Now hypothetically suppose this is the ark, or a ship anyway, is there anyway for it to have gotten there (any logical way) other than a flood that went above the peak and could a localized flood have reached 13,120 feet above sea level?

Upvote 0

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
charityagape said:
Now hypothetically suppose this is the ark, or a ship anyway, is there anyway for it to have gotten there (any logical way) other than a flood that went above the peak and could a localized flood have reached 13,120 feet above sea level?
I doubt a localized flood could reach that high, *but* the mountain could have uplifted since the boat was landed. Seems like that is the stock answer for many "embarassing" bits of data, like seashells on tops of mountains, "overthrusts", "underthrusts", tilting formations, etc., that I think are often much better explained by a global flood.
-lee-

Upvote 0

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
charityagape said:

Easy. Don't you believe that God can perform miracles? He did part the Red Sea and raise Jesus from the dead, after all.

God simply created a miraculous force field around the local flood, so that the water rose up to 13 thousand feet without spilling over into the rest of the world. At the end of the flood, God released the force field so that the waters flowed out and the level dropped back to normal.

Reactions: Melethiel
Upvote 0

RealityCheck

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2006
New York
✟23,538.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
jereth said:
Easy. Don't you believe that God can perform miracles? He did part the Red Sea and raise Jesus from the dead, after all.

God simply created a miraculous force field around the local flood, so that the water rose up to 13 thousand feet without spilling over into the rest of the world. At the end of the flood, God released the force field so that the waters flowed out and the level dropped back to normal.

You moron. Don't you know that God miraculously blew on the waters so that they left the earth entirely and formed the ice rings around Pluto?

(oops - forgot those darned sarcasm tags!)

Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Got fooled by Ron Wyatt as a teen. That's not happening again.

I'll wait until it is in Archaeology Magazine. I'm sure they'll be on the cover of every publication in the field if it is legit. They better have some very solid evidence (not to mention a better explanation as to why there is no geologic evidence of a world-wide flood).

I'm not holding my breath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
frostymama said:
I'll wait until it is in Archaeology Magazine. I'm sure they'll be on the cover of every publication in the field if it is legit. They better have some very solid evidence.
Sounds wise. That's why I didn't post it as "they found it!" but rather as an interesting topic for discussion. One interesting thing I read (but have not confirmed) was that Josh McDowell was part of the expedition. My wife got saved after hearing him talk at Cal State Long Beach -- so I'm forever in his debt.
(not to mention a better explanation as to why there is no geologic evidence of a world-wide flood).
Of course, some of us believe the geologic column is BETTER explained by a global flood than by hundreds (if not thousands) of local events.
-lee-

Upvote 0

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mallon said:
Including variable chalk deposits, trace fossils, and layered fossil forest horizons? ;)
Yes. (of course we're way off-topic, but I started the thread and its a "lightweight" thread, so I hope no one will mind :) )

How do any of those pose any problem for postulating a geologic column *primarily* formed through a flood?

-lee-

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
laptoppop said:
How do any of those pose any problem for postulating a geologic column *primarily* formed through a flood?
The fact that they are found *throughout* the geologic column, and thus no majority of the rock record could have been deposited by a single flood.

Upvote 0

steen

Lie Detector
Jun 13, 2006
South Dakota
✟9,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
laptoppop said:
Sounds wise. That's why I didn't post it as "they found it!" but rather as an interesting topic for discussion. One interesting thing I read (but have not confirmed) was that Josh McDowell was part of the expedition. My wife got saved after hearing him talk at Cal State Long Beach -- so I'm forever in his debt.
So now you will buy his book and in other ways enrich his coffers when he lies to you about this? Nice racket these people got going for them

Of course, some of us believe the geologic column is BETTER explained by a global flood than by hundreds (if not thousands) of local events.
-lee-
Sure. Obviously, you BELIEVE this. That the direct evidence speaks against your belief have little relevance, of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
steen said:
So now you will buy his book and in other ways enrich his coffers when he lies to you about this? Nice racket these people got going for them
Excuse me, but that's way over the line. Have you ever even heard of Josh McDowell? What evidence do you have to call him a congenital liar? Because you think he might not agree with you about Noah's ark? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_McDowell) Nice try to slap down someone I suspect you've never even heard of with your academic elitism. It advances nothing for a TE to appeal to academic elitism just as it advances nothing for a YEC to say that others just don't believe the Bible.
-lee-

Upvote 0

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mallon said:
The fact that they are found *throughout* the geologic column, and thus no majority of the rock record could have been deposited by a single flood.
Just because there was a single global flood does not imply in any way that the deposition of material was consistent. Depending on dissolved content, temperature, flow, and other factors, the rate of deposition varies, or even becomes erosion.
-lee-

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
laptoppop said:
Just because there was a single global flood does not imply in any way that the deposition of material was consistent. Depending on dissolved content, temperature, flow, and other factors, the rate of deposition varies, or even becomes erosion.
Are you just saying that to support your conclusion, or do you have impirical evidence to back your claim?

Upvote 0

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mallon said:
Are you just saying that to support your conclusion, or do you have impirical evidence to back your claim?
Its basic sedimentation from dissolved solids in water. There are a variety of factors which affect the sedimentation rate. For example, see http://[SIZE=-1]ecosystems.mbl.edu/Tide/contact/mac_lee_tide.doc[/SIZE]

Additionally, a *local* flood is a turbulent mess, with different conditions in different areas. Why should we think a global flood would be any better? If anything it would be worse, and given the scale of the event, we would expect more variation, not less.
-lee-

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.