Not open for further replies.

mdvaden

Dec 3, 2005
✟7,878.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
I was curious to see what responses people have. There are many good comments on these forums.

It's been taught that Judas hanged himself after betraying Jesus. I was taught that an eastern phrase for impaling oneself on a sword or similar weapon was also called being "hanged'.

Here's one related section of the Word.

Matthew 27:5-8

5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself .

6 And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.

7 And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.

8 Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.

One related study I found a chapter on once, mentioned that Judas was still alive after the ressurection, but not present at the ascension. That's because it says Jesus was with "the disciples" that he had chose - that's in Acts 1, I think. But when he ascended, the angel spoke:

Acts 1:11

11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

The reference to galileans is supposed to exclude the possibility of Judas being in that group at that moment in time.

One teaching is that Judas was there in chapter 1

It's been a while since I studied this, but I think my conclusion was that Judas very well could have choked himself in grief and later impaled himself.

I've read Acts 1 countless times. I also a familiar with biblical Greek. But it's out of my ability to know if the grammar of Acts 1 means that Judas was there - referring to "the disciples".

Anyone else ever studied those accounts?

PreacherMan4U

Dec 13, 2005
Alabama
✟365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Acts 1:18 says, "18Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
This passage speaks directly of Judas. The greek term for "falling headlong" means to fall on the face. However, to fall from a height that would cause the body to burst open is not consistant with falling in a sword. Additionally in Matthew 27:5 the term used for "hanged himself" is aorist, middle, indicative, 3rd person, singular. Middle voice, in Greek, means "I do for myself". Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

mdvaden

Dec 3, 2005
✟7,878.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
So this leaves us with "hanged", possibly "choke", plus also falling "headlong" which is an interesting assortment.

It seems odd to hang and choke and fall headlong.

Wonder if he went running face first off a cliff while choking himself.

I'd consider is menial, except for that Timothy says all scripture is profitable and makes a man of God perfect. So there has to be some profit even in these Judas accounts.

Thanks for the input. Keep it rolling.

Upvote 0

PreacherMan4U

Dec 13, 2005
Alabama
✟365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The description given of Judas falling and bursting open, gives the impression that he hanged himself with a rope and the rope broke. Here is a quote from A. T. Robertson about Acts 1:18.

" Falling headlong (πρηνης γενομενος). Attic form usually πρανης. The word means, not "headlong," but "flat on the face" as opposed to υπτιος on the back (Hackett). Hackett observes that the place suits admirably the idea that Judas hung himself (Mt 27:5) and, the rope breaking, fell flat on his face and

burst asunder in the midst (ελακησεν μεσος). First aorist active indicative of λασκω old verb (here only in the N.T.), to clang, to crack, to crash, like a falling tree. Aristophanes uses it of crashing bones. Μεσος is predicate nominative referring to Judas.

Gushed out (εξεχυθη). First aorist passive indicative of εκχεω, to pour out. "

Th book quoted is "Robertsons Word Pictures of the New Testament".

Upvote 0

HeartFullaLove

Nov 3, 2005
✟702.00
Faith
Christian
Back in the day, the Brits did a lot of experimenting to figure out the best way to hang people. Too short a drop left the person writing around choking to death over several minutes. If the know was placed against the spine, the same rsult. If the know was placed off to the side a bit and the person droped the right distance for his boidy weight (they actually developed a chart) his neck would snap and he would die instantly. Dropped too long a distance, his guts would, to varying degrees, come out his rectum.

Upvote 0

dunkel

Oct 28, 2005
✟15,587.00
Faith
Catholic
HeartFullaLove said:
Back in the day, the Brits did a lot of experimenting to figure out the best way to hang people. Too short a drop left the person writing around choking to death over several minutes. If the know was placed against the spine, the same rsult. If the know was placed off to the side a bit and the person droped the right distance for his boidy weight (they actually developed a chart) his neck would snap and he would die instantly. Dropped too long a distance, his guts would, to varying degrees, come out his rectum.

Let's not forget heads popping clean off...this happened a time or two in the old west.

Upvote 0

Theofilus

Apr 4, 2004
✟27,825.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The method of execution we refer to as hanging wasn't popular until hundreds of years later. Most likely, Judas impaled himself on a sharpened stake. He would have stood on a higher level than the point and thrown himself on it. That would be consistent with him "throwing himself headlong" and his "bursting asunder" and his "bowels gushing out". As has been said earlier, "hanging" was a term used to describe impalaing.

Upvote 0

ForumGuy

Nov 25, 2005
✟7,859.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Prehaps its not my place to ask, but did Judas go to Hell?
I mean I know he did a very very bad thing, I know Jesus says better for the person not to have been born, but he seeemed sorry.
Of course he committed sucide, which was argubly going into the Devil's arms.
But if he was sorry for that before the act was complete, then I don't believe he'd go to Hell for that. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Theofilus

Apr 4, 2004
✟27,825.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ForumGuy said:
Prehaps its not my place to ask, but did Judas go to Hell?
I mean I know he did a very very bad thing, I know Jesus says better for the person not to have been born, but he seeemed sorry.
Of course he committed sucide, which was argubly going into the Devil's arms.
But if he was sorry for that before the act was complete, then I don't believe he'd go to Hell for that. Thoughts?

We can't judge Judas or anybody else. That's God's job, not ours. That being said, what did Jesus mean when he said it would have been better for him if he had never been born? Many people suffer without having that said about them. I believe he was talking about the eternal punishment awaiting him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.