Did Jesus wear a prayer shawl (tallit)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torahgrandma

Feb 23, 2007
✟15,936.00
Faith
Christian
Sorry but that is not true. Tallit is both biblical and historical as continuous from the time of Moshe. What is a middle ages adaptation is the way the knots are made. (And there are 2 or 3 ways of tying them.) I am not saying it aways looked as it does today. But the wearing of the Garment with the Tzitzi was. Even in your post above when Yeshua criticizes those who enlarged their phalactry, look at the word you found for the border, Tzitzi. That is the fringe and the fringe is connected to the Tallit. In ancient times it was called a Mantle, Or vesture as the Mantle of Elijah. Yeshua is wearing Tallit when the woman touhed his Tzitsi and was healed. Did you think the Tzitzi were sewn to his own skin? Certainly not they are connected to the Mantle or cloak or Tallit. Why do you think the Romans cast lots for his outer garment which was woven as a single piece. Tallit is woven of a single piece and was the finest and most expensive part of a Jewish mans clothing. When Peter enters the tomb, the piece that was covering his head was folded neatly in a separate place. This is because a Tallit is what was used to put over the ead during burial. The Tzitzi though not tied with the knots as they are today none the less represented the Torah, as it says in the comandment to wear them so that "when you look upon them you remmber my commandments". Since they represent the commandments they are not tossed aside like the common burial cloth that was wrapped arond his body, but is treated with respect and folded neatly in a separate place.

Someone already answered your arguments earlier on this thread on page five, and honestly, I couldn’t have done a better job myself.

Post# 48

Contra:
Charles has done a fair job answering you. Hegg has done a fair job answering you. The scriptures speak of mantles, tzitzis, burial garments, priestly robes, street attire and all the rest-

From an earlier post by Charles:

Mantle — (1.) Heb. ˒addereth, a large over-garment. This word is used of Elijah’s mantle (1 Kings 19:13, 19; 2 Kings 2:8, 13, etc.), which was probably a sheepskin.
It appears to have been his only garment, a strip of skin or leather binding it to his loins.

Was it a sheepskin tallit then?

Charles then speculated:

[FONT=&quot]"In Johns Gospel Peter arrives at the Tomb and goes inside and he sees the linen burial cloth laying in a pile and folded nicely in a separate place he sees the "Napkin" that had been wrapped around his head. What Napkin, a dinner napkin? I don't think so. "[/FONT]

Lets examine the burial garment argument:

John 20:7 And2532 the napkin4676, that3739 was2258 [5713] about1909 his846 head2776, not3756 lying2749 [5740] with3326 the linen clothes3608, but235 wrapped together1794 [5772] in1519 a place5117 by itself1520 5565.

G4676
σουδάριον
soudarion
Thayer Definition:
1) a handkerchief
2) a cloth for wiping perspiration from the face and for cleaning the nose and also used in swathing the head of a corpse
Part of Speech: noun neuter
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: of Latin origin

What a eisegetical stretch that one is. Was it a Latin style tallit? When was the last time that you saw someone use a tallit to clean their nose and wipe their face?

Let's examine the "robe" argument:

Revelation 7
13 And one of the elders answered, saying to me, These, the ones having been clothed in the white robes, who are they, and from where did they come?
14 And I said to him, Sir, you know. And he said to me, These are those coming out of the great tribulation; and they washed their robes and whitened them in the blood of the Lamb.
15 Because of this they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His sanctuary. And He sitting on the throne will spread His tabernacle over them.

Are you saying that these were tallits also?

G4749
στολή
stolē
Thayer Definition:
1) an equipment
2) an equipment in clothes, clothing
2a) spec. a loose outer garment for men extending to the feet, worn by kings, priests, and persons of rank
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G4724
Citing in TDNT: 7:687, 1088

In the end, all of your and Charles suppositions are unfounded. It is clever speculation, as are the majority of the Hebrew roots teachings, but upon close examination it all becomes obvious conjecture driven by a theological need. If the Scriptures don't say it, then the next move in the "Hebraic mindset" is to reinterpret or "idiomize" to get them to say it:

Charles:
There might be a translation error here but when Yeshua prayed for the dead girl and raised her to life he said, "Tallitha Kumi" which could be "You under the Tallit Arise" "Tallit Ha Kumi" The Oral tradition that founded the Gospels may have distorted these Hebraic/Aramaic words over time.

So much for God's promise to keep His Word for all generations. (shakes head)

Post #47

Contra stated:
OK...so far we have tried to show you from scripture, history, and tradition that shawls were commonplace. You refuse to accept any of the above or even consider them.

Charles has done a fair job answering you. Hegg has done a fair job answering you. The scriptures speak of mantles, tzitzis, burial garments, priestly robes, street attire and all the rest- all pointing to the fact that Jews, as well as just about everybody else int he region, wore shawls.

Let’s use you and Charles system of reasoning on another passage:

Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean2931 thing , and all our righteousnesses6666 are as filthy5708 rags899; and we all do fade5034 [8799] [8676] 1101 [8686] as a leaf5929; and our iniquities5771, like the wind7307, have taken us away5375 [8799].

H899
בּגד
beged
BDB Definition:
1) treachery, deceit
2) (CLBL) garment, clothing (used indiscriminately)
Part of Speech: noun masculine
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: from H898
Same Word by TWOT Number: 198a

Using you eisegetical method of finding a text and then forcing a meaning, then the “rag” described in the above passage could be a tallit also, as well as any carpet or piece of cloth.

Definition of Eisegesis
Eisegesis is the approach to Bible interpretation where the interpreter tries to "force" the Bible to mean something that fits their existing belief or understanding of a particular issue or doctrine. People who interpret the Bible this way are usually not willing to let the Bible speak for itself and let the chips fall where they may. They set off with the up-front goal of trying to prove a point they already believe in, and everything they read and interpret is filtered through that paradigm. Stated another way, they engage in what the Bible refers to as "private interpretation".

Why do you kick against the pricks? Why is it so important to prove that he did not wear Tzitzi? If he had not worn them don't you think the Pharisees who challenged them for not washing their hands before eating, a rabbinical law, would not have also accused them of breaking the Torah law by not wearing Tzitzi?

I already agreed that He wore tsitsit in an earlier post. That was never contested by me, because it is Scriptural.

You quest to remove the Jewishness and the law from Messiah is futile. If he did not keep th elaw, then he was a sinner and could not be the sinless sacrifice that we need. The law said to waer Tzitzi with a cor of blue. He did or he was considered a sinner for he was violating the law, and sin is the breaking of the law. Why accuse Messiah of being a sinner? This is what the non-believing Jews do.

Please stop the straw man arguments and false accusations Charles. I agreed with the OP that there is no Scriptural proof that He wore a tallit, and I have now supplied many passages to prove that. There is Scriptural proof that He did wear Tsitsit, and that was never contested by me.

Upvote 0

torahgrandma

Feb 23, 2007
✟15,936.00
Faith
Christian
Oh that is just too funny! couldn't have done it better yourself ....

Mrs Wags,

Thanks for coming over to support me in clearing up another big misconception that is being foisted on believers by the Hebrew roots teachers.........or was it to give me another Yidddish lesson?

:wave:

I have been checking out some of the youtube clips that you posted over at MJ, and I noticed that Jesus was missing in action in all of them. I guess it shouldn't bother me, because we both believe that He is God in the flesh, as that is a criteria for being able to post on these forums.

:clap:

If anyone is interested in more information about the errant teachings of Hebrew roots, please go the site linked below. It has a large inventory of articles about it:

http://www.seekgod.ca/topichr.htm

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of my goodness....can we just get back to basics?

a) Jesus was a Jew who lived in the Holy Land around the 1st C.

b) Jews there and then wore typically four garments- the under-garment, called a Chaluq or Kittuna (kethonet- which corresponds to the Greek "chiton"), and a covering upper garment called a tallit (which went almost all the way down the body) or a Goltha. It was this garment that had tzitzit. The other garments commonly worn were the aphqarsin and the sandals.

c) When the dress of the Jews changed over the centuries, the tallit (goltha) became a help to prayer and the fulfilling of the commandment. It changed only a little in form.

Why is this so hard to grasp? My kids understand it. I get it. Charles gets it.

Check out the highly respected "The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah" by Edersheim, Book 3, chapter 26 for details. This is just one of dozens of places where you can find all the details you like about this matter.

If you think we've all got it wrong, then please tell me what Jesus wore and how He fulfilled the commandment to wear tzitzit.

(its pretty obvious to me what the fringed garment He wore was...)

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
torahgrandma said:
.........or was it to give me another Yidddish lesson? [/qoute]

You apprently are in need Yiddish lessons since your last attempt to use it ended up with you making hateful personal comments about me. But then, I suspect that you knew exactly what you were saying.

torahgrandma said:
I have been checking out some of the youtube clips that you posted over at MJ, and I noticed that Jesus was missing in action in all of them. I guess it shouldn't bother me, because we both believe that He is God in the flesh, as that is a criteria for being able to post on these forums. [/qoute]

You have a problem with praises being sung to HaShem? :confused:

Upvote 0

torahgrandma

Feb 23, 2007
✟15,936.00
Faith
Christian
Of my goodness....can we just get back to basics?

Why is this so hard to grasp? My kids understand it. I get it. Charles gets it.

So then, Jesus was wearing the tallit backwards? I have never seen any Jew do that before.

Check out the highly respected "The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah" by Edersheim, Book 3, chapter 26 for details. This is just one of dozens of places where you can find all the details you like about this matter.
I have read Edersheim's works. Since when does a nineteenth century man's opinion override Scripture?

If you think we've all got it wrong, then please tell me what Jesus wore and how He fulfilled the commandment to wear tzitzit.

(its pretty obvious to me what the fringed garment He wore was...)
an existing four cornered garment with tsitsit.

BTW, the Roman soldiers gambled for His over garment. What would a Roman soldier want with a tallit. Think about it.

Upvote 0

torahgrandma

Feb 23, 2007
✟15,936.00
Faith
Christian
torahgrandma said:
.........or was it to give me another Yidddish lesson?

You apprently are in need Yiddish lessons since your last attempt to use it ended up with you making hateful pers]nal comments about me. But then, I suspect that you knew exactly what you were saying.
I apologized Wags. Are you holding some sort of grudge?That would not be very Christian, or Christ like, so I hope you are not.

torahgrandma said:
I have been checking out some of the youtube clips that you posted over at MJ, and I noticed that Jesus was missing in action in all of them. I guess it shouldn't bother me, because we both believe that He is God in the flesh, as that is a criteria for being able to post on these forums.

You have a problem with praises being sung to HaShem? :confused:

John 14
6[FONT=&quot] Jesus said to him, I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]John 3[/FONT]
1[FONT=&quot] There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: [/FONT]
2[FONT=&quot] The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that you do, except God be with him. [/FONT]
3[FONT=&quot] Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. [/FONT]
4[FONT=&quot] Nicodemus said unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? [/FONT]
5[FONT=&quot] Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I only pray that some people are witnessing the Truth of Christ to my [/FONT][FONT=&quot]lost Jewish brothers and sisters, because there is no dual[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] covenant listed in the Scriptures as some have falsely taught.

I saw talmudic customs in the last video, and rashi script on the chalkboard in the video with the talented children, but I didn't see any Jesus anywhere. BTW, Rashi denied Jesus as the Messiah, and stated in his commentary that Isaiah 53 was about the people of Israel, and as you also know, the talmud blasphemes Christ.

Also, HaShem is an orthodox rabbinic substitution for YHWH. It can only be found in the Hebrew Scriptures as an actual name of a person, and not God Almighty.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

torahgrandma

Feb 23, 2007
✟15,936.00
Faith
Christian
Incredible! :doh:
Yes Charles, it is incredible that there is so much error in the Hebrew roots movement that there could be that many articles about it.

Maybe she will have an article over there on the tallit one day. Or the Hebrew roots fallacy that circulates on forums that the Nazi guards wore a belt buckle that said "Jesus is Lord" on it, when it actually said "gott min uns" which means "god with us" in reference to the occultic norse gods that the SS followed.

BTW, this article was interesting:

http://www.seekgod.ca/rejected.htm

Upvote 0

Charles YTK

Nov 26, 2002
Florida
✟3,839.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
John 14
6[FONT=&quot] Jesus said to him, I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
[/FONT]

Yes he is the way to the father, not to himself. It is no sin to worship God. Yeshua died so that we can come to the father.

[FONT=&quot]I only pray that some people are witnessing the Truth of Christ to my [/FONT][FONT=&quot]lost Jewish brothers and sisters, because there is no dual[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]covenant listed in the Scriptures as some have falsely taught.
[/FONT]

Do you mean the Christian standard version Jesus who was a blonde haired blue eyed Arian who hated the Jews abolished the law, and started a new religion with new feast days? Or the witness of Christians who present the Jewish Yeshua, who kept the law, who taught from the law, who ate Kosher food, went to temple, who wore Tzitzis on his outer garment, and faithfully kept the feast days?

[FONT=&quot]
I saw talmudic customs in the last video, and rashi script on the chalkboard in the video with the talented children, but I didn't see any Jesus anywhere.
[/FONT]

So are you equating Hebrew writing with something evil? Didn't the Lord and the Apostles write and speak Hebrew? Wasn't all of the Old Testament written in Hebrew?

[FONT=&quot]
BTW, HaShem is an orthodox rabbinic substitution for YHWH. It can only be found in the Hebrew Scriptures as an actual name of a person, and not God Almighty.[/FONT]

Using "HaShem" is a convention of respect. This same convention is carried into Christianity and used in your Bibles. When you see LORD, LORD GOD, GOD, written in all caps in your bibles it is a substitution for "YHVH" which is in the text. OR Adonai YHVH Savot. And in your bibles you have "Lord God of Hosts. "

"HaShem means "The name". Seldomly do you ever hear a Christain use the personal name of God "YHVH" spoken or even "YAH", usually people say, "The Lord" Or "Father". So how is it such an offense for someone to use a convention of respect with a Hebrew substitution "HaShem" but not an offence to use an English substitution "LORD" ?

It seems that much of your criticism is purly antisemitic and not based on any legitimate complaint or sinful action by anyone. These people Love The Lord as much as you do. Why keep finding fault with their expression of love for their God.

Upvote 0

Charles YTK

Nov 26, 2002
Florida
✟3,839.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Yes Charles, it is incredible that there is so much error in the Hebrew roots movement that there could be that many articles about it.

Maybe she will have an article over there on the tallit one day. Or the Hebrew roots fallacy that circulates on forums that the Nazi guards wore a belt buckle that said "Jesus is Lord" on it, when it actually said "gott min uns" which means "god with us" in reference to the occultic norse gods that the SS followed.

BTW, this article was interesting:

http://www.seekgod.ca/rejected.htm

So would say there are any errors in normative Christianity, it's doctrines and feast days and such? Or are they all completely without fault and scriptural?

Upvote 0

torahgrandma

Feb 23, 2007
✟15,936.00
Faith
Christian
So would say there are any errors in normative Christianity, it's doctrines and feast days and such? Or are they all completely without fault and scriptural?
She points out the errant doctrine in the church there as well. As a matter of fact, that is the majority of the site.

Upvote 0

Charles YTK

Nov 26, 2002
Florida
✟3,839.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
She points out the errant doctrine in the church there as well. As a matter of fact, that is the majority of the site.

So then this lady is the single repository of all truth and knowledge, sort of Heavens Holy Hall monitor. That is a lot of responsibility. It is a task most of us would never attempt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

torahgrandma

Feb 23, 2007
✟15,936.00
Faith
Christian
So are you equating Hebrew writing with something evil? Didn't the Lord and the Apostles write and speak Hebrew? Wasn't all of the Old Testament written in Hebrew?

Actually much of the talmud is written in Middle Aramaic, and not Hebrew. The talmud was written between 2-5 ce which is after Christ, by men who were not under the inspiration of God. The talmud blasphemes Christ. I am not interested in ingesting any leaven, and besides, it is not even accurate historically in many places.

Using "HaShem" is a convention of respect. This same convention is carried into Christianity and used in your Bibles. When you see LORD, LORD GOD, GOD, written in all caps in your bibles it is a substitution for "YHVH" which is in the text.

Actually LORD and God can be found in many Jewish Tenach's as well. Jewish Publication Society being one of them.

OR Adonai YHVH Savot. And in your bibles you have "Lord God of Hosts. "
Actually, it is "YHWH Tsabaoth"

"HaShem means "The name". Seldomly do you ever hear a Christain use the personal name of God "YHVH" spoken or even "YAH", usually people say, "The Lord" Or "Father". So how is it such an offense for someone to use a convention of respect with a Hebrew substitution "HaShem" but not an offence to use an English substitution "LORD" ?

HaShem is not a Hebrew substitution, it is a rabbinic substitution.

It seems that much of your criticism is purly antisemitic and not based on any legitimate complaint or sinful action by anyone.
I was wondering Charles, if you teach Torah with those same lips that speaks these false allegations of anti antisemitism (and you are not even Jewish)? Let's stick to the facts, because the straw men are rapidly going up in flames. Since I present my proof from the Scriptures, your argument is now with the Almighty.

Upvote 0

torahgrandma

Feb 23, 2007
✟15,936.00
Faith
Christian
So then this lady is the single repository of all truth and knowledge, sort of Heavens Holy Hall monitor. That is a lot of responsibility. It is a task most of us would never attempt.

I have seen you personally present teaching that was errant over the years on different forums Charles. Even when proof was supplied, you did not change your opinion. This thread is an example of such behavior. You never answered me if Jesus was wearing His tallit backwards so that the woman with the issue of blood that was standing *behind* Him could touch the tsitsit. If the woman who runs that site has something that is incorrect, write her and submit valid proof, and she will probably change it.Her evaluation of the Hebrew roots teachers is based mostly on their own words from their own websites and publications.

Maybe you could send her some materials from your favorite teachers such as FFOZ, Tim Hegg, and Daniel Lancaster, and have her evaluate their teachings against the Scriptures. The talmudic stuff would probably get red flagged right from the starting gate though.

While you are on the site, you might want to check out these articles about the Name of God, and the languages that were spoken in first century Judea:

http://www.seekgod.ca/htwhatsinaname.htm

http://www.seekgod.ca/htname.htm

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I apologized Wags. Are you holding some sort of grudge?That would not be very Christian, or Christ like, so I hope you are not.

You were the one that posted the slurs orgionally and you were the one that brought it up yet again..... :sigh:

The words to Shine are an awesome tribute to the God of Israel. If you object to singing praises to Adonai then you should probably skip reading the Psalms.

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering Charles, if you teach Torah with those same lips that speaks these false allegations of anti antisemitism (and you are not even Jewish)? Let's stick to the facts, because the straw men are rapidly going up in flames. Since I present my proof from the Scriptures, your argument is now with the Almighty.

You have made a lot of false allegations about me, insinuated things about my beliefs and called me nasty names..... In fact you have done nothing but insult people left and right since you signed on here less than a week ago.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.