Did God ever make people eat each other?

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I really hope I'm misinterpreting the passages I'm reading because this is just getting ridiculous...

Jeremiah 19:9 I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, and they will eat one another's flesh because their enemies will press the siege so hard against them to destroy them.'

Ezekiel 5:10 Therefore in your midst parents will eat their children, and children will eat their parents. I will inflict punishment on you and will scatter all your survivors to the winds.

Last edited:

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I really hope I'm misinterpreting the passages I'm reading because this is just getting ridiculous...

Cannibalism is mentioned several times in the Bible, in the OT particularly, but God doesn't "make people eat each other".

If you'd like, give me the verses you're referring to and I'll see if I can get this cleared up for you.

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Contrary to opinion, God never condoned rape, incest, cannibalism, sexual perversion , slavery, or the other things that people try to defame God about. The Bible mentions them, describes them, just as if I were talking to someone about them .... yet never condoning or promoting them. Its sad that the Bible and God are so obfuscated for the expressed intent of defamation .

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Cannibalism is mentioned several times in the Bible, in the OT particularly, but God doesn't "make people eat each other".

If you'd like, give me the verses you're referring to and I'll see if I can get this cleared up for you.

--David

Jeremiah 19:9 I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, and they will eat one another's flesh because their enemies will press the siege so hard against them to destroy them.'

Ezekiel 5:10 Therefore in your midst parents will eat their children, and children will eat their parents. I will inflict punishment on you and will scatter all your survivors to the winds.

It seems like he is involved in the punishment...so he did make people eat each other?

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It seems like he is involved in the punishment...so he did make people eat each other?

Id check with a Scholarly Commentary on these two verses to be sure they aren't allegorical. , which I believe they are. Not literal. God in the OT has already said that Cannibalism is forbidden ; incidentally...this is why the Roman Catholic Church of turning a water into the literal flesh of Jesus is fallacious and the wafer and wine are only symbols otherwise it controverts scripture.

Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Yes, check scholarly commentary and make sure they were humans also.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

It means that God will bring about a situation where people resort to cannibalism in extremis. Of course he doesn't directly bring about the cannibalism.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It means that God will bring about a situation where people resort to cannibalism in extremis. Of course he doesn't directly bring about the cannibalism.

So because of Him parents were forced to eat their kids? Ok, thanks. I had no idea that a loving god inflicted punishments where innocent children had to be eaten up by their parents to prove a point. Guess I know now...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So because of Him parents were forced to eat their kids? Ok, thanks. I had no idea that a loving god inflicted punishments where innocent children had to be eaten up by their parents to prove a point. Guess I know now...

So you fault authority for punishing the subjects? I guess you don't think any punishment necessary in this world. If you ever would raise a child you would realize that it is out of love that parents punished children for discipline.

Read the context of the scripture you quote. God promises that if his people repeatedly refuse to repent of their sins after God sends punishments that the punishments will become more severe. The fault of punishment is purely on a nation that disobeyed his commands and then ignored his repeated rebukes.

As far as your loving God comment, learn that God is also a just God and may punish any as he sees fit. None of us deserve to live. It is by God's grace that we do. Also realize that death is not always a punishment. For the saved, death brings them into a much better world.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OT is often written with a sense of God's absolute sovereignty.

Humans will do everything bad. Humans in different regions of the ancient world will choose to eat each other and even their own children under of the pressure of a siege. They do so because they are not God's people.

God thus warn the Israelites that if they choose to be on the side of "not God's people", then they will do all the bad things as what those not God's people will do, including the eating of their own children during a pressed siege by their enemies.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also remember God punished his people because they were killing their own children in worship to false gods. Let this be a warning to all that think abortion is an individual choice. God will avenge nations for the killing of millions of innocents. I bet iscurious thinks that is OK though.

2 Kings 21 Manasseh was twelve years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem fifty-five years. His mother’s name was Hephzibah. 2 He did evil in the eyes of the Lord, following the detestable practices of the nations the Lord had driven out before the Israelites. 6 He sacrificed his own son in the fire, practiced divination, sought omens, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the Lord, arousing his anger. 11 “Manasseh king of Judah has committed these detestable sins. He has done more evil than the Amorites who preceded him and has led Judah into sin with his idols. 12 Therefore this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: I am going to bring such disaster on Jerusalem and Judah that the ears of everyone who hears of it will tingle.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
There were times when God lifted protection, and let chips fall where they may. Each nation was surrounded by a competing nation, and borders were continually challenged. Weather and natural disasters arrived just like they do today, in the cycles of living on a planet. People get hurt, and die before their short expected life span is over.

You have a valid question though. Whether your intent is honorable or not, that's up to you.

God knew how the enemy tended to operate, just like the militaries study each others' strategies. God knew that if He removed the hedge of protection, the enemies would race in and do what they do.

If we refuse God's help, then we can't expect things to go well in our own strength. We live in a cruel world.

A mother says, "Make sure to wear boots or you'll freeze," as the kids continue out in the snow in their bunny slippers. They come back with frostbite, and refuse to see that the risks were real, or their choices did not protect them.

"In the siege and in the distress with which their enemies and those who seek their life will distress them." It was not God who distressed them, but those who already planned to kill them.

וְהַֽאֲכַלְתִּ֞ים אֶת־בְּשַׂ֣ר בְּנֵיהֶ֗ם

The translator added words in the most offensive part of Jeremiah 19:9.

If you click each Hebrew word one by one, you will find:

Devour
Entity/self
Flesh/animals/kindred/all living things
Sons/sparks/nation

Entity/self
Flesh/animals/kindred/all living things
Daughters/women

Whosoever/man/each/husband/servant/champion
devour
man
companion/fellow
flesh
siege
distress
which
enemy/hostile
seek
soul/life
constrain/press/oppress

This might look like a jumble of words, but it shows the "I will do this" aspect was assumed, rather than spelled out. The translators would have understood the linguistic details that might have led to those conclusions, but ancient Hebrew language had a lot of gaps.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
(Thanks to Studylight.org)

Ezekiel
לָכֵ֗ן אָבֹ֞ות יֹאכְל֤וּ בָנִים֙ בְּתֹוכֵ֔ךְ וּבָנִ֖ים יֹאכְל֣וּ אֲבֹותָ֑ם וְעָשִׂ֤יתִי בָךְ֙ שְׁפָטִ֔ים וְזֵרִיתִ֥י אֶת־כָּל־שְׁאֵרִיתֵ֖ךְ לְכָל־רֽוּחַ׃ פ

Thus/therefore/true
Father/ancestor/chief/God as father/patron
Devour
Child/people of a nation

Among

Child/people of a nation
Devour
Father/ancestor/chief/God as father/patron

Bring about/make/press/prepare
[undefined word]
judgement
scatter/winnow
entity/self
all/total/complete/whole
remnant/remainder/descendants
all/total/complete/whole
spirit/wind/breath
[undefined word]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Then there is also the aspect of needing to stop injustice to protect the innocent. In our criminal justice systems, offenders are confined or punished -- so the crimes against others will not continue.

If people have become so brutal that they are oppressing others, it can take drastic measures to stop them from doing more damage.

The people enacting justice seldom wish harm on another human, but take measures that will manage risks.

Upvote 0