Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I Yehovah do all these things” — Isaiah 45:7 (KJV with Hebrew name restored)

It's amazing how the Scriptures can answer our questions, don't you think?

Shalom,
David
And how does the answer you claim to arrive at from that verse work with all the verses which says God is Good. IOW Please explain how you can see Good doing evil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It is better for the evil and wickedness to be destroyed in the person through the fire rather than the person being destroyed by it.
After all that is the purpose of The Lake of Fire, and the definition of Torment in the Greek.
It is a Divine Purifying Fire.
:oldthumbsup:

ZEP 3:8 Therefore wait for me," declares the LORD, "for the day I will stand up to testify. I have decided to assemble the nations, to gather the kingdoms and to pour out my wrath on them -- all my fierce anger. The whole world will be consumed by the fire of my jealous anger.
9 "Then will I purify the lips of the peoples, that all of them may call on the name of the LORD and serve him shoulder to shoulder.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God did not create evil. What god created has the choice to create evil. Free will.

God created us knowing we wouldnt listen to him, he knew we'd do evil things. This is exactly why he has provided a way to free us from ourselves through Jesus Christ.

if God had not created anything than evil would not exist.

Reactions: DrBubbaLove
Upvote 0

2KnowHim

Dying to Live
Feb 18, 2007
✟9,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So no Christians here willing to answer whether it is better to exist or not?

That depends. If they were to be Tormented forever (as you believe) then no, or in the case of Judas, Jesus says it would have been better if he had of never been born. ex. "the one whom Satan entered."

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That depends. If they were to be Tormented forever (as you believe) then no, or in the case of Judas, Jesus says it would have been better if he had of never been born. ex. "the one whom Satan entered."
It does not depend, it is either yes or no unless the obvious choice creates the dilema you obviously see for your belief about what God eventually does to evil creatures, which ironically should include any BEING that creates evil. And so you essentially gave it a maybe yes, maybe no answer. Some Buddhist have answered no, non existence is best. But if non-existence is ever best, even if we say only conditionally as in Judas, we should wonder that God would create at all because we would be saying it would be better that He did not create. Yet, we know He created, even Judas. I find it difficult to imagine a God that is Good and hold that He does not always do His Best, which can only be viewed as Him doing less Good than it could be. Less Good means a little evil - which brings us back to OP and you claim to support that Good creates evil.

Jesus is not saying non-existence is better than existing, but not for the reasons you might think. He is not saying that because it is never true that to be or not to be has a maybe answer or that it has no absolute answer. Existence is always better than non-existence, else God would have made nothing if it is better to not exist. We cannot even argue (as some Calvinist might) that we do not have free choice, because if Hell =non existence then we are saying He made some of us to eventually not exist, and we would be admitting it is better that those individuals would not exist eternally, so God did not do His Best in making them - made a mistake if you will - does evil=less Good. Ironically for you, if Jesus were saying that in this particular case and that was meant to be understood Judas is going to Hell, then the statement would not reflect that Hell=non-existence, it would reflect just the opposite and support the same view I have of Hell. So it is actually good for you that Jesus did not mean that about existence.

Judas clearly exists when that statement is made because he was still breathing. As long as one is breathing and conscious, even if hanging/dancing from a rope, the potential to repent and be forgiven remains until our death. If that happened as Judas was dancing in mid air (if that is indeed how he ended his own life) then Judas would be in Heaven now and not in Hell. Only if that confession did not happen before Judas died, which we cannot possibly know even from the Scripture you cite, could we say Judas winds up in Hell. I do believe the anguish Judas is depicted in before his self inflicted demise and also that act itself represents both a physical/mental torment before his death that equals what someone expresses in saying "bet he wishes he had never been born". Such a statement is not a reflection on whether it is or can be better to not exist. Existence is ALWAYS better than non-existence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Alas, this is another verse which has been 'interpreted' to align with an eternal torture POV by ET indoctrinated translators. Even the NASB has a side note concerning the translation of that verse to mean "vs 24 Lit, "for him if that man had not been born"", IOW 'it would have been better for JESUS if JUDAS hadn't been born. A translation which makes sense to us, but not most others here.

ex. "the one whom Satan entered.
And why did Satan enter the apostle Judas and not Peter (that he might be sifted like wheat), well it was because Jesus prayed for Peter and He didn't pray for Judas. Poor ole Judas was 'predestined to do evil' and to be a son of perdition.

Reactions: 2KnowHim
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alas, this is another verse which has been 'interpreted' to align with an eternal torture POV by ET indoctrinated translators. Even the NASB has a side note concerning the translation of that verse to mean "vs 24 Lit, "for him if that man had not been born"", IOW 'it would have been better for JESUS if JUDAS hadn't been born. A translation which makes sense to us, but not most others here.

And why did Satan enter the apostle Judas and not Peter (that he might be sifted like wheat), well it was because Jesus prayed for Peter and He didn't pray for Judas. Poor ole Judas was 'predestined to do evil' and to be a son of perdition.
Right, so you said. And it apparently somehow makes sense to you to have the Bible say Good does evil or it says to you that God does not do His Very Best all the time if at all or it even proclaims ancient Buddhist thought that ceasing to exist is better (even if only sometimes) than existing.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 25:41-46

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

I can't wrap my head around the idea that these words in the Bible somehow suggest there is not eternal punishment.

Eternal punishment seems like something a "loving" God would not allow, but should we let our emotions of what we think God should allow and not allow get in the way of what the scripture clearly states?

In the KJV we have "everlasting punishment" vs "life eternal"

"46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

Are we suppose to interpret "everlasting" as "not everlasting"? Only temporary? This seems contradictory to me.

I do not like the idea of everlasting punishment as much as the next guy, but does God really care if I don't like something? Or does He only want me to obey Him and listen to His word, which is clearly stated? His word is not restricted to pages in a book, it is alive in our hearts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We can only be right if we agree the Bible says what they say it means and somehow that teaching is not a teaching of men. They see themselves as individual Apostles I reckon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

I can't wrap my head around the idea that these words in the Bible somehow suggest there is not eternal punishment.
That comes from wrapping your mind around translations written by those indoctrinated with a belief in eternal torture. They are therefore written to support the dictates of men and not the grammar of the Greek. Here are three bible translations which are translated and interpreted more correctly.

Young's Literal Translation
Matthew 25:46 And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.'
Rotherham's Translation: 25:46 And, these, shall go away, into, age-abiding, correction, but, the righteous, into, age-abiding, life.
Concordant Literal Translation: 25:46 And these shall be coming away into chastening eonian, yet the just into life eonian.

Eternal punishment seems like something a "loving" God would not allow, but should we let our emotions of what we think God should allow and not allow get in the way of what the scripture clearly states?
No, you should not let your emotions lead you. I didn't let them control me, and fear of being rejected by 'the church' is a big emotion to overcome. So you should study more scholarly translations of scripture which are more difficult to read because they ARE more literal....but 'clearly disagree' with translations written to defend the eternal torture doctrine.

In the KJV we have "everlasting punishment" vs "life eternal"

"46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."
In reality we have two qualities within a given ages time frame. One quality is God's life and one quality is God's judgment to those living in that particular age.

Are we suppose to interpret "everlasting" as "not everlasting"? Only temporary? This seems contradictory to me.
We are to correctly understand that, in verses like this, we are talking about a 'quality' of something taking place 'in time' and not a 'quantity of time'...beyond 'an age'.

JOH 17:3 and this is the life age-during, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and him whom Thou didst send - Jesus Christ;

I do not like the idea of everlasting punishment as much as the next guy, but does God really care if I don't like something? Or does He only want me to obey Him and listen to His word, which is clearly stated? His word is not restricted to pages in a book, it is alive in our hearts.
Then realize that "punishment" is a noun pertaining to 'an age' and not eternal punishing.....which is a never ending verb, and not correct translating.

With correct understanding you no longer have to defend "the idea" of a merciless, unforgiving, "everlasting puhishing" 'and therefore a 'purposeless torturing' view of God. A view which according to your very post is contrary to your heart and you "do not like". A view which not only makes him the creator of evil, but the very image of it, I believe.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That comes from wrapping your mind around translations written by those indoctrinated with a belief in eternal torture. They are therefore written to support the dictates of men and not the grammar of the Greek. Here are three bible translations which are translated and interpreted more correctly.

Matthew 25:46 And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.'
Rotherham's Translation: 25:46 And, these, shall go away, into, age-abiding, correction, but, the righteous, into, age-abiding, life.
Concordant Literal Translation: 25:46 And these shall be coming away into chastening eonian, yet the just into life eonian.

No, you should not let your emotions lead you. I didn't let them control me, and fear of being rejected by 'the church' is a big emotion to overcome. So you should study more scholarly translations of scripture which are more difficult to read because they ARE more literal....but 'clearly disagree' with translations written to defend the eternal torture doctrine.

In reality we have two qualities within a given ages time frame. One quality is God's life and one quality is God's judgment to those living in that particular age.

We are to correctly understand that, in verses like this, we are talking about a 'quality' of something taking place 'in time' and not a 'quantity of time'...beyond 'an age'.

JOH 17:3 and this is the life age-during, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and him whom Thou didst send - Jesus Christ;

Then realize that "punishment" is a noun pertaining to 'an age' and not eternal punishing.....which is a never ending verb, and not correct translating.

With correct understanding you no longer have to defend "the idea" of a merciless, unforgiving, "everlasting puhishing" 'and therefore a 'purposeless torturing' view of God. A view which according to your very post is contrary to your heart and you "do not like". A view which not only makes him the creator of evil, but the very image of it, I believe.
To help out your further expression of this teaching of men, you forgot to add that we read and accept the parable of the dead as being just what is rather than the symbolism/fantasy those same men claim it represents. Or should I say teachings of apostles?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Okay, so if the bible said everlasting punishing or eternal punishing, you'd agree it meant never ending punishment?

However, if it said that them in order to be consistent it should say eternal living, not eternal life. Right?

Upvote 0

2KnowHim

Dying to Live
Feb 18, 2007
✟9,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The word "eternal" in the Greek is "aiōnios" and is rendered....

aiōnios
ahee-o'-nee-os
From G165; perpetual (also used of past time, or past and future as well): - eternal, for ever, everlasting, world (began).
aiōn
ahee-ohn'
From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future): - age, course, eternal, (for) ever (-more), [n-]ever, (beginning of the, while the) world (began, without end). Compare G5550.

And would mean....Non stop or continuous for an age. It does not mean what we think it means which is forever and ever.
Eternal has no beginning and no end. Such as when we say God is Eternal.
It has to do with "Quality" not "Quantity".

It refers to the permanence of the Results rather than the Continuation of the process.
And is also the same for Eternal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so if the bible said everlasting punishing or eternal punishing, you'd agree it meant never ending punishment?
If that was the 'consistent' use of the words scripturally that might be true. But it isn't. Translators change the definition to fit their theological doctrine and not the 'gospel truth'.

However, if it said that them in order to be consistent it should say eternal living, not eternal life. Right?
If you are saying that consistency with 'eternal living' must be countered with 'eternal dying' then "the last enemy to be destroyed is death" would never be fulfilled would it? And that is not 'the gospel'.

Read what 2KnowHim just said and realize that an adjective can not have a definition that is greater than the noun from which it came. And the noun 'aion' is the word we to this day get 'eon' from. And an eon has a beginning and an end. And God still has at least two more 'ages/eons' with which to work on His beloved creation.

EPH 2:7 that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God --

The 'coming ages' may not require the "FAITH" you needed to get saved in this age. But salvation will still need the "GRACE" to be saved. And it will "not be your own doing" then either. It may be like doubting Thomas who has 'to see to believe'. According to the verse above who do you think God is going to be showing his 'immeasurable saving grace' to?

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The word "eternal" in the Greek is "aiōnios" and is rendered....

aiōnios
ahee-o'-nee-os
From G165; perpetual (also used of past time, or past and future as well): - eternal, for ever, everlasting, world (began).
aiōn
ahee-ohn'
From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future): - age, course, eternal, (for) ever (-more), [n-]ever, (beginning of the, while the) world (began, without end). Compare G5550.

And would mean....Non stop or continuous for an age. It does not mean what we think it means which is forever and ever.
Eternal has no beginning and no end. Such as when we say God is Eternal.
It has to do with "Quality" not "Quantity".

It refers to the permanence of the Results rather than the Continuation of the process.
And is also the same for Eternal life.
how can the eternal "continuation" of a process means as a qualifier that a process may end in one particular case, but a different process having the same qualifier never ends?

There is no sense in which one can claim a process can be described a "continuing" yet mean for any particular part going through the process there is always an end point for that part. That is not the description of a "continuing" process. So the fact we have changed word usage to describe our two possible eternal fates does not "solve" your problem. You are still claiming we (or Jesus) can use the same qualifier to describe a "process" and have that qualifier mean opposing things. Changing the word did not help, it still makes no sense at all.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't think he would agree. In his mind God is incapable of having someone in a "place" eternally where the torment experience is directly proportional to unaccounted evil committed in this life. As long as any evil is unaccounted for, those wicked deeds represent an injustice in the universe. Hell makes that imbalance right. Whatever else we may think Hell to be, it represents how that imbalance of Just is restored. The idea that Heaven has "degree" as a reward is similar. It is not a communal thought of everyone Heaven bound gets the same piece of a pie. Yet "living" in Heaven is the only type of "life" that represents what it means to be fully living as a human (which means body and spirit). Living in Hell necessarily means the opposite of that.

So when God described Heaven for us and used the term "eternal life" to describe what He is making possible for each of us (all of mankind) that formerly was NOT possible, He cannot be understood as simply saying He can help us live forever. So the idea that an eternity in Hell represents that same depiction of "eternal life" He promised as possible for a human is not just a gross overstatement - it is simply not true. We are not even sure the torment of Hell described would leave anything we could recognize as the former person, hence CS Lewis describing that as eternally only "what remains" of that person. An existence as a person, yes but nothing any of us would properly call "human life".

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If that was the 'consistent' use of the words scripturally that might be true. But it isn't. Translators change the definition to fit their theological doctrine and not the 'gospel truth'.

Sure I understand that can happen which is why I ask for the wisdom of the Holy Spirit so that I can be sure I'm not relying on my own understanding.

If you are saying that consistency with 'eternal living' must be countered with 'eternal dying' then "the last enemy to be destroyed is death" would never be fulfilled would it? And that is not 'the gospel'.

Read what 2KnowHim just said and realize that an adjective can not have a definition that is greater than the noun from which it came. And the noun 'aion' is the word we to this day get 'eon' from. And an eon has a beginning and an end. And God still has at least two more 'ages/eons' with which to work on His beloved creation.

EPH 2:7 that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God --

The 'coming ages' may not require the "FAITH" you needed to get saved in this age. But salvation will still need the "GRACE" to be saved. And it will "not be your own doing" then either. It may be like doubting Thomas who has 'to see to believe'. According to the verse above who do you think God is going to be showing his 'immeasurable saving grace' to?

I know that what Jesus did at the cross paid the price for all of mankind's sin. I pray for those who do not yet have this faith. This is God's desire for us, to have faith in Him, it's up to Him to judge the faithless.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Sure I understand that can happen which is why I ask for the wisdom of the Holy Spirit so that I can be sure I'm not relying on my own understanding.
Don't we ALL make the same claim though? And don't ALL churches 'claim' to believe the bible, and yet we have 666 different denominations who don't agree with each other based upon 'the bible'. There is a religious spirit promoting 'the false' in all '-isms', whether they be Hindu-ism, Budda-ism or denominational-ism.

I know that what Jesus did at the cross paid the price for all of mankind's sin. I pray for those who do not yet have this faith. This is God's desire for us, to have faith in Him, it's up to Him to judge the faithless.
Let me leave you with a quote from Martin Luther in a letter to Hansen Von Rechenberg in 1522: "God forbid that I should limit the time of acquiring faith to the present life. In the depth of the Divine mercy there may be opportunity to win it in the future."

Upvote 0