1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Abraham's Father have the call to go to Canaan ?

Discussion in 'Spirit-Filled / Charismatic' started by Yitzchak, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Yitzchak

Yitzchak יצחק

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    Remember that in the Bible the chapters did not exist in the original. So just a few verses apart , we have Abraham's father , Terah heading for Canaan and stopping short and then we have G-d speaking to Abraham to compelte the journey to Canaan.

I have not often ehard these two events conencted to each other. But it seems highly co incidental that terah would have been heading to Canaan and stopped short and then Abraham receives a call to complete the journey.

I take from this that terah had the call to make the journey and only went half way.

2. Yitzchak

Yitzchak יצחק

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    I think this refers to the river Euphrates.

[​IMG]

3. Simon_Templar

Simon_Templar Not all who wander are lost

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Hard to say.

Acording to Jewish tradition, Terah was a maker of Idols and thus was intimately involved in the religion of Ur.

according to what we see in the bible and in Jewish tradition it strongly suggests that Abraham was the first of his family to follow God alone. The others all appear to have mixed God in with their other gods.

4. Optimax

Optimax Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Word-of-Faith

Gen 12:1 Now the LORD said unto Abram: 'Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto the land that I will show thee.

In verse one above Abe's instructions were to get away from his kindred and his fathers house.

Perhaps if his father was suppose to go as well he would not have been instructed to leave them behind.

5. Yitzchak

Yitzchak יצחק

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Charismatic

But if his father was intructed to go to Canaan and only went half way. then it would be neccesary for Abraham to leave him to compelte the journey.

6. Optimax

Optimax Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Word-of-Faith

Gen 11:31
    And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran his son's son, and Sarai his daughter in law, his son Abram's wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there.
    KJV

Well, I do not see where he was instructed to go. The verse just says "Terah took", they "went forth" and "they came".

Maybe I missed the verse(s) in which God instructed Terah to go.

7. Simon_Templar

Simon_Templar Not all who wander are lost

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Its possible, but its guess work either way.

8. Faulty

Faulty bind on pick up Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    If the Book of Jasher has any validity, Terah left Ur with Abram, because Nimrod was seeking the life of Abram, who was seeking refuge from Noah and Shem at the time.

It seems to be fairly consistent, chronologically speaking, with Genesis 11 and 12. Scripture states Haran died in the presence of Terah. Terah took Abram, Lot, and the others out of Ur to go to Canaan, but stopped in Haran instead. Then after some time, God told Abram to go from his fathers house and travel into Canaan.

The Book of Jasher describes Nimrod attempting to kill Haran and Abram at the same time, with their father looking on. Haran died, being burned alive, but Abram did not. Abram sought refuge, then Terah took Abram and the others out of Ur, with the initial destination of Canaan, but stopped in Harah instead due to it's great pasture land. From there, Abram was later told by God to leave his fathers house and go to Canaan.

In neither account was Terah called to go to Canaan, but rather compelled to leave Ur, from which Abram was further called to complete the journey to Canaan.

9. Yitzchak

Yitzchak יצחק

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Charismatic

Thank you. This sounds plausible.

10. Yitzchak

Yitzchak יצחק

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Charismatic

Here are the verses that establish that G-d spoke to Abraham before they went to Haran. Terah co operated to the extent that in the Genesis account he set out intending for Canaan.