Descartes Doubt?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,603.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I haven't studied Descartes but why in the first place doubt whether or not one exists? And later Descartes famously writes, "I think therefore I am." I don't think there is an need to question whether or not I exist... it is common sense.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven't studied Descartes but why in the first place doubt whether or not one exists? And later Descartes famously writes, "I think therefore I am." I don't think there is an need to question whether or not I exist... it is common sense.

Actually, what Descartes was doing was performing a thought experiment, and his experiment was done to try to counter some of the alledged claims of skepticism as well as some of the assumptions made by academics; so he started by being skeptical himself. To really understand what he was trying to do, you probably need to read his "Discourse on Method" before reading his "Meditations" where he uses doubt as a mode of reasoning.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've studied philosophy a little and in my experience, when you get into the deeper waters of philosophy it can hurt your head. It's like math, the easy stuff is easy. The deeper concepts are brain twisters.
“My head! My head!” he said to his father. His father told a servant, “Carry him to his mother.” After the servant had lifted him up and carried him to his mother, the boy sat on her lap until noon, and then he died. (2 Kings 4:19-20, 1984 NIV)

He may have been studying philosophy out in the field at the time. ;)

Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
“My head! My head!” he said to his father. His father told a servant, “Carry him to his mother.” After the servant had lifted him up and carried him to his mother, the boy sat on her lap until noon, and then he died. (2 Kings 4:19-20, 1984 NIV)

He may have been studying philosophy out in the field at the time. ;)
It could have been me! But I put the book down. Fortunately.

Upvote 0

farran34

Jun 29, 2016
USA
✟9,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I haven't studied Descartes in a long time, but if my memory is correct Descartes was trying to show that by reason, apart from faith or revelation, it is possible to rationally assert that God exists. To do this he starts from a position of doubting everything, and he wrestles with questions like "what if I am dreaming" ext. He posits that he can know that he exists because he can make the statement "I think therefore I am". He never really questions whether or not he exists (to my unrefreshed memory), but whether or not he can trust any of his senses, and following from that if everything around him is not real much like the plot of the movie The Matrix.

• Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Descarte was a Catholic during the Thirty Years War, a bloody war between
Descartes was an Catholic officer during the Thirties Year War, the bloody conflict between Protestant Germany and European Catholics. Soldiers actually have more down time then you think, he was sitting beside a pot belly stove thinking about what was known as, 'the first philosophy'. Newton would write a book on the same subject called Principia some time later. He expressed no real doubts but the idea was what can I be the most sure of? Formally this is known as epistemology, theories concerning knowledge. This kind of discourse is very common in Philosophy, Plato's simile of the Cave was about the same kind of thing:

As I then desired to give my attention solely to the search after truth, I thought … I ought to reject as absolutely false all opinions in regard to which I could suppose the least ground for doubt, in order to ascertain whether after that there remained [anything at all] in my belief that was wholly indubitable. Accordingly, seeing that our senses sometimes deceive us, I was willing to suppose that there existed nothing really such as they presented to us … [T]he very same thoughts (presentations) which we experience when awake may also be experienced when we are asleep, while there is at that time not one of them true, I supposed that all the objects (presentations) that had ever entered into my mind when awake, had in them no more truth than the illusions of my dreams. But immediately upon this I observed that, whilst I thus wished to think that all was false, it was absolutely necessary that I, who thus thought, should be somewhat; and as I observed that this truth, I think, therefore I am (cogito ergo sum), was so certain and of such evidence that no ground of doubt, however extravagant, could be alleged by the skeptics capable of shaking it. (Descartes: ‘I Think Therefore I Am’, Meditations ch. 7)
The Pope put this one on a list of prohibited books because he didn't make God central, Newton called his philosophy too atheistic but I never thought so. This is during the Scientific Revolution and people were developing new tools, mental and physical. There is a reason we call Algebra 'Cartesian', he was the first to get plane geometry going in a third direction, the Z depth you heard about in math class and probably didn't care about. Newton would be the one who was the first to calculate the Y Squared in motion and Calculus was born.

Why don't you try it, is there anything in your beliefs that is 'wholly indubitable' or beyond all skepticism? Bear in mind, many would say no but most, at least these days would say science or God.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0