Der Spiegel on Snowden's documents detailing upcoming "digital war" preparations

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
New Snowden Docs Indicate Scope of NSA Preparations for Cyber Battle - SPIEGEL ONLINE
According to top secret documents from the archive of NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden seen exclusively by SPIEGEL, they are planning for wars of the future in which the Internet will play a critical role, with the aim of being able to use the net to paralyze computer networks and, by doing so, potentially all the infrastructure they control, including power and water supplies, factories, airports or the flow of money.

During the 20th century, scientists developed so-called ABC weapons -- atomic, biological and chemical. It took decades before their deployment could be regulated and, at least partly, outlawed. New digital weapons have now been developed for the war on the Internet. But there are almost no international conventions or supervisory authorities for these D weapons, and the only law that applies is the survival of the fittest.

Canadian media theorist Marshall McLuhan foresaw these developments decades ago. In 1970, he wrote, "World War III is a guerrilla information war with no division between military and civilian participation." That's precisely the reality that spies are preparing for today.

The US Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force have already established their own cyber forces, but it is the NSA, also officially a military agency, that is taking the lead. It's no coincidence that the director of the NSA also serves as the head of the US Cyber Command. The country's leading data spy, Admiral Michael Rogers, is also its chief cyber warrior and his close to 40,000 employees are responsible for both digital spying and destructive network attacks.​

P

Protocol11

china has been probing our systems for a while. so has russia. its not surprising that we are too. what i dont understand is why we dont have better security. the best and simplest way to defend against a cyber attack on our infastructure is to disconnect it from the net. or have its core functions relegated to a localized hardwire network with no wireless capability. water plants, dams, power plants and the like should not be connected to the web.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
china has been probing our systems for a while. so has russia. its not surprising that we are too. what i dont understand is why we dont have better security. the best and simplest way to defend against a cyber attack on our infastructure is to disconnect it from the net. or have its core functions relegated to a localized hardwire network with no wireless capability. water plants, dams, power plants and the like should not be connected to the web.
I suspect that in general many such functions are only connected in an ancillary way to the internet ... at least that's my hope. The problem, as I see it, is that since a single point of failure has been known to bring down a major portion of the US power grid even ancillary interconnection to the internet might be enough to cause a disproportionate collapse under prolonged and/or determined attack.

Just my guess though ...

Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the question is-why is the US gov so ambivalent about this, the greatest threat to security today?

the general consensus seems to be that Russia+china already have the capacity to critically harm US infrastructure, financial systems etc

despite this, most of the military funding continues to go to weapons systems other than cyber defensive systems

Upvote 0