jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
About a month ago, I posted polls on both the creationist and TEist forums asking people to identify which denomination they are part of. The results show a significant difference for the Baptist and Lutheran denominations. Baptists appear to be strongly creationist, while Lutherans appear to be strongly TEist. For the remaining denominations, there was no significant discrepancy.

I would now like to invite comment on these interesting results. Can anyone explain why the Baptist and Lutheran denominations are lopsided with regards to Origins belief?

Creationist total votes 21
TE total votes 20

Catholic: 0 / 0
Anglican/Episcopalian: 1 / 2
Lutheran: 0 / 5
Reformed: 2 / 1
Presbyterian: 1 / 3
MEthodist: 0 / 0
Baptist: 7 / 0
Pentecostal/charismatic: 2 / 1
Independent/home church: 2 / 3
Other: 7 / 7

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What's interesting is that if one assumes that the responses are representative of the posting community in the forum, then the creationist/TE split is 50/50. That's remarkably balanced. I'm used to boards where one side is represented to the near exclusion of the other.

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can think of specific OT/Crevo Christian members I know didn't vote from looking at some of the 0/0 results.

I am not as familiar with Lutherans as I am Baptists.

I have had a wide variety of experiences with a lot of Baptist churches in the States. I have not known any that were not very big on literalism and very YEC.

Upvote 0

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Lutherans are not all monolithic. I think the Lutherans who frequent OT are all just more interested in this debate. Many Lutherans I know (particularly from the more conservative synods) are staunch YECs. In fact, we had a huge argument about this in the Lutheran forum a while back...

Upvote 0

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While the small sample sizes makes this statistically questionable, to say the least - it agrees with my rough expectations. In broad generalities, I would expect YECs to be more literal in their scriptural interpretation, and certainly that fits with most Baptist churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chief117

Conservative Soldier for Christ
Jan 21, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟8,383.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would agree with that said...but I wonder if many Baptists follow the work of Dr. Kent Hovind, who is Baptist.

He's the one who solidified my YEC beliefs, and he may have done so for his home church as well. Though the much more likely answer is that they tend to be fundamental.

Can't knock them for believing God. I'm right there with them.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
laptoppop said:
and certainly that fits with most Baptist churches.

I'm glad you chose to say most here.

As I am learning, Baptists aren't so much a monolithic denomination as a loose confederation of independent churches that share strong common beliefs.

And while the SBC seems to be biased towards creationism and while the Chicago Statement seems to be biased towards creationism (which is used to support part of the SBC Confession of Faith), there certainly is room within the Baptist framework for non-creationist povs.

This is the case of the little Baptist church that I attend (and am a member of, just as I am a member of the Methodist church as well). Origins is not considered important and the pastor refuses to make a statement on it one way or the other.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Chief117 said:
I would agree with that said...but I wonder if many Baptists follow the work of Dr. Kent Hovind, who is Baptist.

He's the one who solidified my YEC beliefs, and he may have done so for his home church as well. Though the much more likely answer is that they tend to be fundamental.

Can't knock them for believing God. I'm right there with them.

God Bless.
No, but you can knock them for following Kent Hovind ( who btw is not a doctor).

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Melethiel said:
Lutherans are not all monolithic. I think the Lutherans who frequent OT are all just more interested in this debate. Many Lutherans I know (particularly from the more conservative synods) are staunch YECs. In fact, we had a huge argument about this in the Lutheran forum a while back...

You wouldn't be thinking of the thread I participated in now would you? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In regards to US Lutherans, ELCA embraces textual criticism and openly does not object to evolution.

They even signed a petition about supporting the teaching of evolution in schools and have commitees on faith, science, and technology: http://www.elca.org/faithandscience/news/06-03-15-news.html

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.