Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(PRATT video, posted without comment by poster)
So, without further comment, here is a refutation posted a thousand times. (I am willing to bet that "True Science" will not take the time to read it, and if he does, he will not understand it.)

:wave:

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, without further comment, here is a refutation posted a thousand times. (I am willing to bet that "True Science" will not take the time to read it, and if he does, he will not understand it.)

:wave:

Read what?

Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Videos like that is what drives people away from Christianity. If one must lie and misrepresent science to support ones' belief in God, then why would anyone want to believe in that God?
Why would anyone decide to be a Scientologist or a Moony? they need something they can cling onto no matter what it is,
desperate people do desperate things and sadly quite a few Americans are very desperate indeed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Videos like that is what drives people away from Christianity. If one must lie and misrepresent science to support ones' belief in God, then why would anyone want to believe in that God?
Lying makes the world go round. If you aren't willing to lie and cheat, you might as well give up.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

You read something about stratigraphy. What is your rebuttal about the idea of strata shown in the video (a few minutes since 30' in the video)? How could a volcanic eruption make such a detailed stratification?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You read something about stratigraphy. What is your rebuttal about the idea of strata shown in the video (a few minutes since 30' in the video)? How could a volcanic eruption make such a detailed stratification?
Simple, he is misrepresenting the geologic column by using volcanic ash layers accumulated over a short period of time as if they were layers of the geologic column representing millions of years.

Upvote 0

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The "minutely layered strata" are all the same mineral composition, differing only in the size of the grain. It is all pyroclastic flow.
Pyroclastic flow is turbulent, and the speed of the flow varies over time and from place to place, so the grain size of the deposit varies from time to time and place to place. Think of how fast flowing water will carry along pebbles but deposit cobbles, while slower moving water will carry clay but deposit sand.
Now in the Grand Canyon, for instance, the layered formations differ not only in grain size but in chemical composition. Some of the sandstone is aeolian deposits, wind-blown sand dunes with spider tracks, later covered by very still ocean water which deposits limestone or shale with the burrows of marine tube worms. Again, limestone forms underwater, but the caves in the limestone form above water, and those caves, in turn have been covered over by water born deposits.
I took a summer school course in geology in high school, and even I could distinguish the layering of limestones, sandstones, clays and conglomerates from the layering of pumice deposited by pyroclastic flow.
Read a book, and go look at the rocks yourself.

:oldthumbsup:

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Simple, he is misrepresenting the geologic column by using volcanic ash layers accumulated over a short period of time as if they were layers of the geologic column representing millions of years.

You did not answer my question: "How could a volcanic eruption make such a detailed stratification?"

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The "minutely layered strata" are all the same mineral composition, differing only in the size of the grain. It is all pyroclastic flow.
Pyroclastic flow is turbulent, and the speed of the flow varies over time and from place to place, so the grain size of the deposit varies from time to time and place to place. Think of how fast flowing water will carry along pebbles but deposit cobbles, while slower moving water will carry clay but deposit sand.
:oldthumbsup:

I appreciate your answer very much, consider that you are not trained in geology.

But, exactly because the nature of pyroclastic flow as you described, we should not expect a fine laminated deposition like what we found on the ash/sand/pebble deposition. When later forceful flows ran over the earlier deposits, we should even expect frequent erosion and gouging of the loose sediments deposited slightly earlier.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You did not answer my question: "How could a volcanic eruption make such a detailed stratification?"
I didn't answer it the way you wanted it answered, but I did answer it. My answer was directed to the misrepresentation of the video in the OP. An erupting volcano can lay down many unconsolidated layers depending upon the intensity of eruptions, prevailing winds affecting deposition, and variability in ash and or debris, content, and size. Other factors can come into play as well. Bottom line, the video is misrepresenting stratigraphic process.

Upvote 0