Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes, all love comes from God, but so does all existence, and that does not mean that everyone who exists is therefore a Christian. That conclusion does not follow.

What an odd tangent. The topic of the thread isn't existence. The topic is "definition of Christian". Someone must do something to be Christian, even in your own understanding of correct theology, so we're talking about behaviors which are consistent with what it means to be Christian. What good is a theology if it's not acted on?

love is not a substitute for theology and theology is not a substitute for love.

But that's not the lesson behind the Samaritan story. In the story, the Samaritan's (a person with all the wrong theology) behavior is directly contrasted with a priest and a Levite, both of whom definitely had the correct theology.

Why would Jesus randomly throw a priest and Levite into the story? He wouldn't. They are examples of correct theology failing in practical terms. The Samaritan turns out to be the good guy because of his behavior, not his theology.

From your point of view, the Samaritan's behavior should be dismissed on the basis that his neighbor-loving cannot act as a substitute for bad theology while the priest and the Levite would be the good guys because, despite their lack of neighbor-loving, they had the correct theology. I don't understand how you don't see this. This lesson is so basic. It's like you've intellectualized your arguments to the point that there's no more sincerity left in them.

You criticize the Mormons for their, "we're the one true church and everyone else is lost" attitude, but don't you Oriental Orthdoxers have similar beliefs? I talked to an Eastern Orthodoxer the other day who said anyone who does not participate in the communion ritual is disobedient and cannot be right with God (i.e. lost). I'm guessing the similarity between Eastern and Oriental Orthodox is close enough that you have the same position on that issue?

It's sad to see groups fighting with one another over such petty disagreements, like the apostles arguing over who should be the greatest. Anytime any person starts with the argument, "you can't be saved if you don't perform our rituals or attend our church" they've lost the argument already. That's why I'm neither offended by such arguments nor even bother trying to convince people to abandon that narrow minded point of view. It's more productive to overlook those arguments and instead focus on encouraging real fellowship in practical areas where Jesus did clearly teach, like neighbor loving.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What an odd tangent. The topic of the thread isn't existence. The topic is "definition of Christian". Someone must do something to be Christian, even in your own understanding of correct theology, so we're talking about behaviors which are consistent with what it means to be Christian. What good is a theology if it's not acted on?

As you've rightly pointed out: no good. That's why I've said over and over, in contradiction to your mischaracterization of my position, that the Christian ought to have both: good theology (in a multi-confessional environment such as this one, I'd define that in basic terms to mean nothing more specific than 'Nicene', out of respect for the fact that not everyone is Orthodox) and good fruit of their beliefs in action (love, kindness, longsuffering...you name it).

If they have one but not the other, they are at best not living a balanced Christian life. At worst, they place themselves outside of Christianity entirely.

But that's not the lesson behind the Samaritan story.

Though we should never ignore its lessons, the fact remains that there is much more to the faith than the story of the good Samaritan.

Why would Jesus randomly throw a priest and Levite into the story? He wouldn't. They are examples of correct theology failing in practical terms. The Samaritan turns out to be the good guy because of his behavior, not his theology.

Of course. It makes him the one who is acting rightly in comparison to the Levite. What it does not do is make him a Levite, and since the topic of the thread is "Definition of a Christian", not "Definition of who is acting in a better manner than someone else", eventually we must talk not just about behavior, but also about doctrine.

As I've written many times in this section of the website, if we were having a 'niceness contest', Mormons would almost definitely win. Maybe it's a matter of relative sample sizes (I've known few Mormons compared to the number and variety of Christians I have known), but I have found all of the Mormons who I have personally known to be moral, very friendly, and genuinely kind people. In many respects, I would probably be luckier to have a Mormon neighbor than a Christian or other non-Mormon neighbor. This does not make me lose sight, however, of the ultimate fact that the Mormon religion risks the souls of those who subscribe to it precisely due to its very basic theological errors which deny the truth of God.

As you have sought several times to treat the Samaritan as the exemplar by which Christian behavior is given (and not without reason, although I would also point out that the fact that this story occurs between two groups of non-Christians speaks well to my point of why we can't take "being loving" as the measure of specifically Christian behavior), I would like to make an example myself of the right-hand thief crucified together with Jesus.

In the thief we have a man who certainly had not behaved in anything approaching a Christian manner, and was thus being crucified for his life of evil deeds. We also have a man who had, as far as anyone knows, no theology to speak of, had not received catechism and baptism, etc. He was least fit to be a follower of Christ, at least from outward appearance and behavior, as well as theology.

Yet, on the cross, beside the Savior Himself, he called out to Jesus, saying "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." By refusing to blaspheme the Lord anymore as the left-hand thief had only moments before, by at last showing his proper fear of God and the recognition of Christ, He received the reward of the faith he had shown even in his last moments, and the Savior answered him, saying "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in paradise." (Luke 23:39-43)

What are we to take from this? No one needs theology or proper behavior, because look at the thief? No, of course not. The salvation of the thief was miraculously given as his confession of faith (= theology and act together!) at that moment was heard and accepted by the Lord, not to the exclusion of what he had or had not been before it, but in his transformation then from a lowly thief to perhaps the greatest anonymous believer that has ever been. St. John Chrysostom (d. 407) teaches on this incident that the salvation of the thief was no less a miracle than the moving of the rock had been. St. Hilary (d. 367) writes of him: "for the thief says, Remember me when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom. It was the groan he heard, I suppose, when the nails pierced the hands of our Lord, which provoked in him this blessed confession of faith: he learnt the Kingdom of Christ from His weakened and stricken body!" It was in that time, by the power of the Lord Himself as manifested upon the cross, that the thief came to give his good confession, an act which demonstrated his embrace of the true God. Did he therefore necessarily have a highly developed theological sense? No. When would he have learned any such thing? But he knew the truth and he knew God when He saw both in our Lord Jesus Christ.

So even those who have acted subjectively much, much worse than any Mormon has probably every acted may too attain salvation -- not by behaving rightly in a social sense (as he had spent his life surely not doing that), but by submitting to the truth and acting upon it when it was before him. Again, it's both together.

From your point of view, the Samaritan's behavior should be dismissed on the basis that his neighbor-loving cannot act as a substitute for bad theology while the priest and the Levite would be the good guys because, despite their lack of neighbor-loving, they had the correct theology.

I'll thank you not to tell me and the rest of the website what my point of view is while completely ignoring what I say my own point of view is. This is intensely disrespectful. Knock it off.

I don't understand how you don't see this. This lesson is so basic. It's like you've intellectualized your arguments to the point that there's no more sincerity left in them.

Now I'm not just wrong, I'm also not sincere either? Excuse me? Isn't this just a little bit beyond the pale? Who are you? I've never interacted with you before this thread, and do not know you from Adam. I am not getting personal with you. I'll thank you to please grant me the same courtesy, as this kind of posting can very easily be seen as a personal insult, which is against the guidelines of this website.

You criticize the Mormons for their, "we're the one true church and everyone else is lost" attitude, but don't you Oriental Orthdoxers have similar beliefs?

The word is "Orthodox", not "Orthodoxers" (e.g., I am Oriental Orthodox, not an Oriental Orthodoxer). And yes, we do have a very similar ecclesiology to the Eastern Orthodox (I would say the same, but it's not my place to unilaterally declare that for another communion that I am not a part of).

I talked to an Eastern Orthodoxer the other day who said anyone who does not participate in the communion ritual is disobedient and cannot be right with God (i.e. lost). I'm guessing the similarity between Eastern and Oriental Orthodox is close enough that you have the same position on that issue?

No, that should not be assumed to be the Oriental Orthodox viewpoint. Although I don't know the context in which an EO or OO person would claim that (there could be some context in which it might be perfectly true to say that, but since it was presented without context, I cannot endorse it at all), it should be pointed out that as the OO were historically and are currently often in situations in which it cannot be assumed that they will be able to attend liturgy on a regular basis (say, if a terrorist blows up our church like they do sometimes in Egypt, or if you're in a situation where the nearest church is an unreasonably long distance away from where you live, as is common in certain parts of America and elsewhere in non-OO areas), we never developed any kind of set/canonical rule or custom which says "miss X number of liturgies and you are in trouble." As far as I can recall, the EO do have such a rule (though I don't remember the specifics; I think it's three or four in a row, but you'd have to ask them), hence it could be with reference to that rule that they could say that not attending liturgy is a problem. At my old church in New Mexico, though, there was a family who, for various reasons related to work and the distance which they had to travel to attend (from out of state), could only attend liturgy once or twice a year, often only on special occasions (e.g., when HG Bishop Youssef would visit). I only met them a handful of times during the 4 years I lived there. Whenever they showed up, they worshiped with us and were communed with us just as they would have been if they had been able to attend regularly. It's not a problem for us.

It's sad to see groups fighting with one another over such petty disagreements

They are not petty disagreements. Theology matters.

like the apostles arguing over who should be the greatest.

This is not what anyone in this thread is arguing over.

Anytime any person starts with the argument, "you can't be saved if you don't perform our rituals or attend our church" they've lost the argument already.

No one in this thread has made that argument, as far as I've seen.

That's why I'm neither offended by such arguments nor even bother trying to convince people to abandon that narrow minded point of view. It's more productive to overlook those arguments and instead focus on encouraging real fellowship in practical areas where Jesus did clearly teach, like neighbor loving.

It may be more productive (whatever that means in this context), but it's no less unbalanced than focusing too much on the letter of the law. Remember: "These you should have done without leaving the others undone" is not the same as "Only do the more productive of the two", or "Completely ignore the one you'd prefer not to focus on."

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
20 - 25

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

In other words, the context of the passage you cited shows that your interpretation isn't entirely correct, as the passage is more about people who resorted to idolatry and otherwise ignored what was right in front of them because of personal wickedness and mistaken notions.
Despite your disagreement, it does not change the fact that God has revealed all the he needs to at this point. It could be argued that this is applicable to the birth of mormonism, but I'll save that for another day.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Is a humanist a Christian if she's kind to her neighbor? Does she honor the God who said,
2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
(Exodus 20)

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
(Hebrews 11:6)

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
(Galatians 1)

9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
(Titus 1)

13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
(2 Timothy 1)

I don't see any leeway for following other gods or for teaching unsound doctrine.

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

prophecy link in my profile!
Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'll thank you not to tell me and the rest of the website what my point of view is while completely ignoring what I say my own point of view is.

I think I understand what you're saying, but it is that what you're saying doesn't make sense when it's pulled apart. I'll give an example.

As I've already written, love is not a substitute for theology and theology is not a substitute for love.

Did the Samaritan have bad theology? According to God's chosen people at the time (the Jews), yes. Did the Jew's have right theology? Apparently. And yet, in the story Jesus directly pits the Levite/priest's behavior against the Samaritan's behavior. Whatever they all believed theologically became irrelevant in comparison to how they behaved.

Upon deeper examination it becomes clear that neighbor-loving is the correct theology we should have. That is the lesson of the parable. So, yes, one can be substituted for the other, because ultimately God cares about how we treat one another. Actual loving behavior is worth more than all the good-intentioned-holy-theology in the world.

the LDS religion exists is because of its founder's complete and total rejection of Christianity.

It'd be like me getting mad that I'm not accepted as a Muslim, when I completely and totally reject Islam, the Qur'an, Muhammad, and everything brought by him.

It looks pretty clear to me that you're making the point that being a Mormon member equates to having the same "complete and total rejection of Christianity" that it's founder had. The context of the question is to ask how Jane_Doe could be upset at not being considered a Christian when she already completely rejects Christianity.

I asked, "what about neighbor loving?", the point being that Mormons can't completely reject Christianity if they're acting on at least some Christian principles.

You responded:
Loving one's neighbor is not some kind of proprietary commandment or exclusive feature of Christianity.

This is where the new theology comes in; the one where neighbor-loving no longer makes a difference when it comes to what it means to behave as a Christian (i.e. what's the difference between behaving as a Christian and being a Christian?). Your "complete rejection" theology just made the lesson of the Samaritan story of no effect. Even Samaritans can love their neighbor, but that doesn't make them Christian, right?

And where's all that "balance" you've been going on about, because it sure does look like you're saying the Mormon's bad theology trumps whatever neighbor loving they may do (i.e. complete rejection).

This is why I earlier said that you seem to be saying different things. It feels to me like neighbor-loving just can't compete with the surety you feel for your theological position, but because neighbor-loving is practically the cornerstone of the Christian faith you can't just dismiss it altogether, so it's relegated to, "something everyone can do so it's not really an accurate measurement of Christian behavior". (That's me paraphrasing your comments based on actual quotes from you).

Anytime neighbor-loving must be diminished to make room for some other theology, then it's a sure sign that there is a problem with that other theology.

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is a humanist a Christian if she's kind to her neighbor? Does she honor the God who said,

I wonder what kind of honor God really wants. Based on what I've seen from Jesus' life and teachings, God would prefer a neighbor-loving humanist to a self-righteous Christian any day.

This is part of what is so fantastic about God; he can see past all the labels and outward appearances, deep down into the heart. It's terrifying and comforting at the same time.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I wonder what kind of honor God really wants. Based on what I've seen from Jesus' life and teachings, God would prefer a neighbor-loving humanist to a self-righteous Christian any day.

God indwells believers.. He gave them faith. God doesn't prefer unbelievers to believers. Do you believe the Bible?

I will argue that calling someone a self-righteous Christian is a judgmental statement. If there is no evidence that a person is a Christian, he is either an immature Christian or no Christian at all.

This is part of what is so fantastic about God; he can see past all the labels and outward appearances, deep down into the heart. It's terrifying and comforting at the same time.

I'm not terrified because I trust God.

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God doesn't prefer unbelievers to believers.

Perhaps a re-examination of what it means to be a believer is in order.

I will argue that calling someone a self-righteous Christian is a judgmental statement.

And calling someone an unbeliever isn't? My goodness, this forum has created a special section for an entire religion, as a means of declaring they aren't Christian. You don't seem to have a problem with that kind of judgment.

If there is no evidence that a person is a Christian, he is either an immature Christian or no Christian at all.

Okay finally! We've made some progress! "Immature Christianity" is certainly better than "completely rejects Christianity".

Ya here that, Mormons? You've moved up a notch! :D

• Haha
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Anytime neighbor-loving must be diminished to make room for some other theology, then it's a sure sign that there is a problem with that other theology.
This is untrue from a Christian perspective. While I agree that "neighbor-loving" is pretty much the main behavior a Christian should be working on, it is not what makes a person a Christian and it is of no effect on a person's salvation. The Bible is clear on this. One must be born again, i.e. believe in Jesus Christ. One who is born again and does works for the glory of the Lord is following Him. One who is not born again can do good works but they are doing it for reasons that come from their own desires as opposed to serving God.

The difference between Christians and mormons on the issue of neighbor-loving or other good works is the motivation. Christians cannot earn their salvation and, knowing this, only feel compelled in any way to do good works out of joy and gratitude. Christians are not bound to do good works for salvation, we cannot earn our salvation. Mormons, on the other hand, believe that they need to do their share of good works in order to earn their share of their salvation. Mormons' good works are out of obedience to the law because they don't believe that God's Grace covers them entirely for their salvation. So, when a mormon does something very good (and many of them do, often) it is out of a heart that is trying to obey the law in order to earn their "part" of salvation. They believe that they must do as much as they can and where they fall short only then will Christ provide some form of "grace" to complete their salvation.

The theology of the Gospel, i.e. that all who believe on Jesus Christ will be saved, is the central theology of Christianity. The theology of "neighbor-loving" is not superior to that but rather it is inferior. It is only of effect if the superior theology, that of salvation, is met.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think I understand what you're saying, but it is that what you're saying doesn't make sense when it's pulled apart.

No, the problem is that what you keep claiming that I'm saying is not actually what I am saying.

Did the Samaritan have bad theology? According to God's chosen people at the time (the Jews), yes. Did the Jew's have right theology? Apparently. And yet, in the story Jesus directly pits the Levite/priest's behavior against the Samaritan's behavior. Whatever they all believed theologically became irrelevant in comparison to how they behaved.

I've addressed this already. Will you address my example of the right-hand thief, who both believed and acted on it properly even without having an established theology or good behavior beyond his one example of fearing God and seeing Him before him and accepting Him?

So, yes, one can be substituted for the other

No, it really can't. Remember that when Christ tells us of the two commandments upon which hang all of the law and the prophets (Matthew 22:36-40), the first is that we love God with all of our heart, soul, and mind. The second, which is like it, is that we love our neighbor as ourselves.

First we must love God with everything we are and everything we have (not reject Him in favor of some other belief system), and -- similarly -- we must love our neighbor. The Lord does not say "Just focus on one of these two, since I'm only going to focus on one of these two." He says they are both necessary, and indeed they are to be paired together, with one before the other (the other growing as a result or manifestation of the first, if you like, as our Lord also said that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments, and this is definitely one of His commandments). This is exactly what I have been saying.

because ultimately God cares about how we treat one another.

Yes, but not to the exclusion of how we treat Him! If we are to love our neighbors, how much more should we love the One who created us all?

Actual loving behavior is worth more than all the good-intentioned-holy-theology in the world.

It's really not, though, and it is not wise to argue as though they are opposed to one another when our Savior says they are not.

It looks pretty clear to me that you're making the point that being a Mormon member equates to having the same "complete and total rejection of Christianity" that it's founder had.

Because it does. Because that's a part of Mormon doctrine, as relates to their history, theology, and ecclesiology. To be a Mormon, you must believe in what Joseph Smith did, and what he believed and taught as correct, including his errors concerning the Church and its nature (this "all other churches are wrong and their creeds are abominable" thing, which according to Mormonism is part of the founding vision of their prophet and hence their church), God and His nature (God as three separate persons who are united in purpose rather than in essence; God the Father having a physical body, etc.), etc. All these things are a thorough and complete rejection of Christianity, yes. Joseph Smith is wrong and Christianity is correct.

The context of the question is to ask how Jane_Doe could be upset at not being considered a Christian when she already completely rejects Christianity.

No, that's the actual question. The context of the question is Mormonism's beliefs that place it outside of Christianity, as listed briefly above. In other words, given that Mormonism teaches XYZ in contradiction to Christianity, why would/do Mormons care that Christian churches that they themselves reject on account of their belief that those churches are wrong similarly reject them on account of their belief that the Mormons are wrong (doctrinally, not in 'neighbor-loving')?

It's a perfectly valid question (one that I'm still waiting for an answer to, beyond "Well you wouldn't like that if someone said that about you!"; nope...I wouldn't care), assuming that you don't try to reduce Christianity in to some kind of anemic, contentless 'social gospel' anti-Christianity in the name of being 'nice'.

I asked, "what about neighbor loving?", the point being that Mormons can't completely reject Christianity if they're acting on at least some Christian principles.

But is 'neighbor-loving' exclusive to Christianity in the first place? No. It isn't. So this is not a point in favor of Mormonism somehow embracing Christianity by virtue of its members being loving.

This is where the new theology comes in

It's not new theology. It comes from Christ Himself, as attested in the Gospels (see above).

the one where neighbor-loving no longer makes a difference when it comes to what it means to behave as a Christian

You keep claiming that I am saying this, but you cannot show it. Whereas I can show several posts where I say the exact opposite of what you claim I am saying, including earlier in this very post that you are reading right now. Again, knock it off. If you're not going to reply to what I actually write, then don't bother replying at all.

Your "complete rejection" theology just made the lesson of the Samaritan story of no effect.

According to you, but you're wrong. (And me saying that Mormonism rejects Christianity isn't a theology unto itself. It's a statement of fact, based on what Mormons believe in comparison to what Christians believe.)

Even Samaritans can love their neighbor, but that doesn't make them Christian, right?

Right.

And where's all that "balance" you've been going on about, because it sure does look like you're saying the Mormon's bad theology trumps whatever neighbor loving they may do (i.e. complete rejection).

So you've interpreted it (wrongly), but I have never written that. Rather, what I have written -- over and over again, to no good effect, since you've ignored it in all of your subsequent non-replies -- is that one cannot substitute for the other. You can't say "I'm a Christian because I love my neighbor" while at the same time reject Christian theology (as Mormonism does), and you cannot say that you fully embrace Christian theology without loving your neighbor, since that is part of Christian theology. It is taught by Christ, as presented earlier. The two are inescapable, and furthermore the link between the two is inescapable, as our Lord taught them both together. We are to live them both together, and not attempt to separate them ever, for any reason.

This is why I earlier said that you seem to be saying different things.

With respect, you are clearly not understanding what I am saying.

because neighbor-loving is practically the cornerstone of the Christian faith you can't just dismiss it altogether

Yeah. Hence I'm not doing that.

so it's relegated to, "something everyone can do so it's not really an accurate measurement of Christian behavior".

That's absolutely true, though. As Christianity is not the only religion or philosophy that preaches loving your neighbor, loving your neighbor cannot be taken as the sole measure of anyone's Christianity, and is not meant to be. It would be one thing if Christians were the only ones who love their neighbors, but that is not the case. I have many atheist and agnostic friends who love me just as surely as I love them. That doesn't change their theological viewpoints so as to make them Christians. It's still good that they do that, but that does not obscure that they are at the same time not obeying the first of the two greatest commandments.

The same holds for theology, too. This is why it is not good enough to simply say the words of the Creed by route, or to pray because "that's what you're supposed to do" rather than with a sincere heart, or to ignore or make a show of your fasting and prayer, etc. Again, the two commandments are presented together because they're always supposed to go together. To whatever measure they are separated for whatever reason, whoever is doing the separation is making a mistake.

But it's not being diminished. That's my point. It is being kept in its proper place within the theology that one must embrace in order to be a Christian. You are the one who is saying that neighbor-loving may substitute for theology. I am simply saying no. This is not true, and is an incorrect understanding of the faith, including of the story of the Good Samaritan.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
It looks pretty clear to me that you're making the point that being a Mormon member equates to having the same "complete and total rejection of Christianity" that it's founder had.

Because it does.
Dzheremi, if you what you say here is simply not true. While Mormons accept share many of the same beliefs as you, such as:
Jesus Christ is the Son of God, Lord, and Savior of all mankind. No one comes unto the Father except through Him.
The Bible is the holy word of God
A person should be reborn and baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
That God commands us to love Him and our neighbors, and we should follow this command.
And many more

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Jane_Doe:

As I know you and I must have discussed before, the problem is not that Mormons would not say all the things that you have said that they believe, the problem is that they would not mean the same thing as Christianity does by saying them. For instance, you just demonstrated in the "Henotheism" thread on this same board that while Mormons agree in the abstract about there being one God in three persons (though you wrote "multiple" instead of three in particular, I'll give Mormonism the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant three), they disagree as to how the persons are one God.

Since disagreeing in particulars is disagreement, it does not matter if on a more surface level, you can claim that they agree The heretics of the past agreed at least in part with Christianity (that's what heresy essentially is: choosing from among the whole which parts you agree with, while rejecting the rest), but to whatever degree they were unwilling to confess the whole truth of the faith, they were found to be in error and condemned on that account. The Arians, for instance, certainly believed in the divinity of Christ, but did not believe in His consubstantiality with the Father and the Holy Spirit, and hence rejected the Holy Trinity, saying instead that Jesus was of a different substance (or at best a 'similar' substance, in the case of some called 'semi-Arians') than the other two, which were in turn of a different substance than each other.

This is why Arianism is rejected by Christianity, and as Mormonism likewise denies this truth of the Holy Trinity (as you and I, and also Peter1000, another Mormon poster, discussed long ago in a different thread) on the same basis (denying the consubstantiality of the persons in favor of saying that they are three separate persons united only in purpose, rather than essence/substance), all of the insisting that you believe in the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit and do all of these things by their names add up to nothing, as far as any claim of Mormonism being in agreement with Christianity is concerned. You do not believe in accordance with Christianity, as your religion is inherently -- by virtue of the theology that it embraces -- anti-Christian and anti-Christ.

Details matter, theology matters, all of these things matter because God matters. And Mormonism rejects God in favor of something else, as taught by its prophet Joseph Smith and his successors.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Jane_Doe:

As I know you and I must have discussed before, the problem is not that Mormons would not say all the things that you have said that they believe, the problem is that they would not mean the same thing as Christianity does by saying them. For instance, you just demonstrated in the "Henotheism" thread on this same board that while Mormons agree in the abstract about there being one God in three persons (though you wrote "multiple" instead of three in particular, I'll give Mormonism the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant three), they disagree as to how the persons are one God.

Since disagreeing in particulars is disagreement, it does not matter if on a more surface level, you can claim that they agree The heretics of the past agreed at least in part with Christianity (that's what heresy essentially is: choosing from among the whole which parts you agree with, while rejecting the rest), but to whatever degree they were unwilling to confess the whole truth of the faith, they were found to be in error and condemned on that account. The Arians, for instance, certainly believed in the divinity of Christ, but did not believe in His consubstantiality with the Father and the Holy Spirit, and hence rejected the Holy Trinity, saying instead that Jesus was of a different substance (or at best a 'similar' substance, in the case of some called 'semi-Arians') than the other two, which were in turn of a different substance than each other.

This is why Arianism is rejected by Christianity, and as Mormonism likewise denies this truth of the Holy Trinity (as you and I, and also Peter1000, another Mormon poster, discussed long ago in a different thread) on the same basis (denying the consubstantiality of the persons in favor of saying that they are three separate persons united only in purpose, rather than essence/substance), all of the insisting that you believe in the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit and do all of these things by their names add up to nothing, as far as any claim of Mormonism being in agreement with Christianity is concerned. You do not believe in accordance with Christianity, as your religion is inherently -- by virtue of the theology that it embraces -- anti-Christian and anti-Christ.

Details matter, theology matters, all of these things matter because God matters. And Mormonism rejects God in favor of something else, as taught by its prophet Joseph Smith and his successors.
dzheremi: LDS acknowledge Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. You say LDS reject the totality of Christian beliefs. Totality = every single one of them. Therefore you can either say Christians don't believe Christ is their Lord and Savior (obviously untrue) or your statement is false.

No one is arguing that details don't matter. What I'm saying is that the huge bullet points DO matter as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
dzheremi: LDS acknowledge Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.

Yes, but the Mormon Jesus and Jesus Christ our Savior are not the same. By the way that you are arguing, Muslims could claim to be followers of Jesus, too (and in fact, they do claim to be), even though they are not. But their religion still has its own Jesus figure ('Isa), who they claim is the 'true' Jesus (and of course was a Muslim, and thus taught and lived by Muslim theology, as we supposedly therefore all should if we want to follow the 'true' Jesus). They even claim that he is the messiah (al masih), by some redefinition of that as well.

And since the Mormon Jesus is bound by the (false, Christ-denying) Mormon theology, we cannot point to your belief as a true point of commonality with Christianity anymore than we can point to the Muslim's claim as a point of commonality between Islam and Christianity.

You say LDS reject the totality of Christian beliefs.

Because you do.

Totality = every single one of them.

Yes. Again, because you do.

Therefore you can either say Christians don't believe Christ is their Lord and Savior (obviously untrue) or your statement is false.

Christians do not believe in your religion's recension of Jesus, no. Certainly not.

No one is arguing that details don't matter. What I'm saying is that the huge bullet points DO matter as well.

But the huge bullet points are not in fact points of commonality once you look into the details. That's my point.

There are reasons why we (meaning me and you) do not accept the Jesus figure of Islam, 'Isa, as being the same as Jesus Christ. If you understand those reasons (and I have to believe that you do, since you've written about it before), then you should be able to understand why I reject your claims that your religion holds these basic commonalities with Christianity which you claim it holds. The theology is radically different, such as to place LDS theology outside of the Christian fold (whereas even those theologies that are radically different from Orthodoxy I can still recognize as being Christian so long as they hold to the basic historical Nicene/Constantinopolitan outline of the same, which all Christian groups do, to varying degrees of explicitness; whereas Mormonism is explicit in its embrace of theology which contradicts even that).

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Yes, but the Mormon Jesus and Jesus Christ our Savior are not the same. By the way that you are arguing, Muslims could claim to be followers of Jesus, too (and in fact, they do claim to be), even though they are not. But their religion still has its own Jesus figure ('Isa), who they claim is the 'true' Jesus (and of course was a Muslim, and thus taught and lived by Muslim theology, as we supposedly therefore all should if we want to follow the 'true' Jesus). They even claim that he is the messiah (al masih), by some redefinition of that as well.

And since the Mormon Jesus is bound by the (false, Christ-denying) Mormon theology, we cannot point to your belief as a true point of commonality with Christianity anymore than we can point to the Muslim's claim as a point of commonality between Islam and Christianity.

Because you do.

Yes. Again, because you do.

Christians do not believe in your religion's recension of Jesus, no. Certainly not.

But the huge bullet points are not in fact points of commonality once you look into the details. That's my point.

There are reasons why we (meaning me and you) do not accept the Jesus figure of Islam, 'Isa, as being the same as Jesus Christ. If you understand those reasons (and I have to believe that you do, since you've written about it before), then you should be able to understand why I reject your claims that your religion holds these basic commonalities with Christianity which you claim it holds. The theology is radically different, such as to place LDS theology outside of the Christian fold (whereas even those theologies that are radically different from Orthodoxy I can still recognize as being Christian so long as they hold to the basic historical Nicene/Constantinopolitan outline of the same, which all Christian groups do, to varying degrees of explicitness; whereas Mormonism is explicit in its embrace of theology which contradicts even that).
dzheremi: do you believe Christ is your Lord and Savior? Yes or no.

If you answer "no", I will happily agree that your and my beliefs have nothing in common and you are an un-Christian heathen. In the mean time I'm not going to ignore the elephant in the room.

Last edited:
Upvote 0