let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe it BOTH - it is symbolic & He is present.
I just don't inflate His presence in the specific elements above & beyond His presence in us.

Thinking it was more than a metaphor is 2nd guessing. He was habitualy using metaphors, but this one is obsessed with because it is at the core of what became sacrament.

Dear Rick,

You may be correct, but for most of the history of the Faith most Christians have believed otherwise. You'll not be surprised that, lacking the confidence to go against such a consensus, and having the experience I have had which confirms it, I'm with the others, though I respect and understand much better, your own point of view, which I'm grateful to you for sharing with me and others here.

peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even though I understand your direction I disagree because If the Eucharist is merely a metaphor and simply bread and wine, then why does the Holy Apostle Paul warn us that:

"For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep." (1 Corinthians 11:29-30).

Would ordinary bread and wine (or metaphor) make people sick or even cause them to die? Well, unless everything is interpreted to be metaphor or figurative.

JTM
The Eucharist isn't "merely a metaphor." It is a metaphor that communicates life-changing spiritual realities of eternal consequence.
They aren't "simply bread & wine", they are symbolic representations of spiritual truths.
Denying spiritual truth can lead to illness & death. Denying that Jesus is the bread of Life & that His shed blood created a New Covenant is reflective of spiritual death.

Much of natural life reflects spiritual reality along a metaphorical aesthetic.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Shameless bump for those that may be new to CF and want to know more about "tradition" in the Church since it was brought up on another thread........ :wave:

edit to add.....I don't see the Rep light bulb showing for members here.........

Original OP:
Roman Catholicism claims that even it's non-Biblical dogmas are "Sacred Tradition".

So, define exactly what "Sacred Tradition" is, and where it came from.
#3862 used 13 times in NT. Combination of the greek words #3844 and #1394 literally means "beside-given".

Used only in the Gospels of Matt {3} and Mark {5} and 5 times in Paul's Epistles

Scripture4all - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

2 Thess 2:15 Consequently then brothers! be ye standing firm!/sthkete <4739> (5720) and be ye holding!/krateite <2902> (5720) the traditions/para-doseiV <3862> which ye were taught whether thru word whether thru epistle of us.

Reve 3:11 [*Behold!] I am coming swiftly. Be thou holding!/kratei <2902> (5720) which thou are having that no one may taking the crown of thee.

Strong's Number G3862 matches the Greek &#960;&#945;&#961;&#8049;&#948;&#959;&#963;&#953;&#962; (paradosis), which occurs 13 times in 13 verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

3862. paradosis par-ad'-os-is from 3860; transmission, i.e. (concretely) a precept; specially, the Jewish traditionary law:--ordinance, tradition.
3844. para par-ah' a primary preposition; properly, near; i.e. (with genitive case) from beside (literally or figuratively), (with dative case) at (or in) the vicinity of (objectively or subjectively), (with accusative case) to the proximity with (local (especially beyond or opposed to) or causal (on account of):--
1394. dosis dos'-is from the base of 1325; a giving; by implication, (concretely) a gift:--gift, giving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Don't the Eastern Orthodox and the Oriental Orthodox hold sacred Traditions to the same high standard as the RCC?

How come you didn't include them in the question?

We always get left out - never invited to parties, etc.:sadd:

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.