Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I am not judging him but this is clearly against the sermon on the mount if true. A Saint cannot overule the word of God himself.

when something in the Tradition seems to contradict, look for the problem in yourself first. Why are you not able to see the inner harmony between Christ and His Saint Whom He illumined? We all have to ask ourselves this first before making hasty judgments against those who bear the mind of Christ.

Upvote 0

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Lord Jesus says turn the other cheek. He says to love your enemies.

Killing blasphemers is something Islam dose not Christianity.

Around the same time, a militant group called Boko Haram murdered 2000 villagers in Africa. Maybe those villagers deserved it, though. I wonder what kinds of cartoons they drew? (The last two sentences are sarcastic!)

"Break their mouths" does not justify mass murder. I think St. John's point is that we should silence blasphemers for their own good, that's all. Our tradition still has rules on justifiable force.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
"Break their mouths" does not justify mass murder. I think St. John's point is that we should silence blasphemers for their own good, that's all. Our tradition still has rules on justifiable force.

:thumbsup:

we should seek to understand the Fathers, not dismiss. thank you.

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

Just read the whole quote from St.John C. On breaking the mouth of those in public.

That one quote (not the Saint we all make mistakes) is heretical.

It dose not follow Jesus example of least amount of force to get people out of a holy site. It dose not follow Jesus turn the other cheek. Jesus rebuked Peter for using violence in public.

It is totally against the tradition of martyrdom started by Christ.

It is no doubt about it heretical.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ok back on topic, how do we silence those clergy who find it convenient to assimilate and not rock the boat? The only thing I can think of is somehow showing the Orthodox youth that we are the ultimate rebels. Instead of conforming to the world we are sticking our middle fingers at it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ok back on topic, how do we silence those clergy who find it convenient to assimilate and not rock the boat? The only thing I can think of is somehow showing the Orthodox youth that we are the ultimate rebels. Instead of conforming to the world we are sticking our middle fingers at it.

I can only hope the gesture you suggest does not have the same meaning to you. I wouldn't like to consider such to be the mindset of Orthodoxy!

I think surely I MUST be misunderstanding. But if that is (hopefully) the case, it probably ought not to stand uncorrected and archived.

Upvote 0

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox

We don't have to silence them, only speak the truth, and make our voices heard.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can only hope the gesture you suggest does not have the same meaning to you. I wouldn't like to consider such to be the mindset of Orthodoxy!

I think surely I MUST be misunderstanding. But if that is (hopefully) the case, it probably ought not to stand uncorrected and archived.

The younger generation wont respond to what they consider old fashion religion. The gospel has to be presented in a way thats more edgy, more anti-establishment. They need to know that they are in an exclusive club which the establishment are jealous of.

Priests shouldnt speak about accepting gay marriages they should speak about how useless civil marriages are. They shouldnt promote equality of society, they should promote our superiority over the established society.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not surprised at what I read in the top article. Apostasy is creeping in in the Church's body all around the globe, although in different forms.

Here in Bulgaria for example our Patriarch just ordered liturgy for the ones killed in the Charlie Hebdo attack. For this same bunch of blasphemers who desecrated the Holy Trinity and the Theotokos with their sick caricatures and got what they deserved. And to that, who are probably not even baptised Orthodox! He broke the church canon and there are already people sending him a petitional letter for a public repentance of the act. I decided to point this out in this thread since it's a similar issue.

Yikes! I regret searching for the Charlie Hebdo anti-Christian tacts.

Lord, have mercy! :crosseo: :(

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think, in general, it is the sort of society that we live in. We live in a society that says sex= love, no sex= no love, which is GARBAGE.

Likewise, we are told "if you do not accept everything I do, you hate me/ you are a bigot". It shows how damage much sins, specifically *unrepented sins of the flesh, has done to the soul and mind.

Lastly, our society tells us to find "pleasure" in everything despite its consequences. This is a dangerous road to be on!

:(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're correct---we ARE a feel-good entertainment junkie culture. I must admit that I struggle with this. I am constantly NOT wanting to be "bored" and spend way more time with TV than reading these days, or stuffing my face! We're pretty hedonistic. And you're correct, Riley, about how people see love--totally in an emotional high sort of way. When the "high" of the 'love drug' abates, move on...

I think, in general, it is the sort of society that we live in. We live in a society that says sex= love, no sex= no love, which is GARBAGE.

Likewise, we are told "if you do not accept everything I do, you hate me/ you are a bigot". It shows how damage much sins, specifically *unrepented sins of the flesh, has done to the soul and mind.

Lastly, our society tells us to find "pleasure" in everything despite its consequences. This is a dangerous road to be on!

:(

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican

Kylissa, your posts are so refreshing. Thank you! :clap:

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Boris89

Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
we ARE a feel-good entertainment junkie culture. I must admit that I struggle with this. I am constantly NOT wanting to be "bored" and spend way more time with TV than reading these days, or stuffing my face! We're pretty hedonistic.

We can only talk about hedonism and apathy when you consider this: In the center of our town, we have a small monastery founded in 1644, one of our martyr saints was hanged there with his grave placed in the courtyard. You'd be mad to not use the opportunity to go there as often as you can and yet we barely gather 20 people at the sunday liturgy (town population numbers around 28 000 and we're talking about a country which has been Orthodox since 863 A.D!). The monastery is 3 minutes from my apartment and last sunday I was actually considering skipping church service for whatever dumb reason came into my head. That is a problem. It was probably my guardian angel who pushed me out of home in the last moment. Compared to you guys in the USA, here in Eastern Europe we'll be judged much severely.. because we have all the Church tradition you can get and yet we do not appreciate it.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yikes! I regret searching for the Charlie Hebdo anti-Christian tacts.

Lord, have mercy! :crosseo: :(

Yup better off, I dont want to see any cartoon (or any other genre for that matter) where guys are sodomizing each other, let alone the figure inscribed with the holy name. And even with such vulgarities we restrained ourselves and now many are blaming christianity for the attacks. The same Christianity whose adherents gave them freedom of speech!

And thats evidence enough to distance ourselves from the establishment, as that establishment has retreated from our values. We must become anti-establishment.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think surely I MUST be misunderstanding. But if that is (hopefully) the case, it probably ought not to stand uncorrected and archived

Well, if its any consolation i took the expression from a song, i think pearl jam maybe? Its not one of my originals.

Upvote 0