Aug 24, 2016
USA
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi!

So i've been dating this girl for a while and both of us have committed to honor Christ in our relationship by following his commandments because I truly believe by doing so God will bless us.

We have been discussing marriage/children/more serious questions and she revealed to me about sister (born male transitioned to female) and I was a bit shocked. She immediately mentioned she doesn't condone the behavior and the mother doesn't condone it either but because it's family they continue to show love to this person.

When we discussed children, she mentioned that she wanted the children to have a healthy relationship with her sister. I became a bit concerned as we both agreed that there is a spirit over this individual and I wouldn't want that influencing my children and having them believing it's ok to and acceptable.

It's a tough situation because it really is tearing us apart. I care about her but im fearful for my potential children to be influenced by this individual. Am i right for this thought? What are some suggestions? Im trying not to sound like a bigot but I believe sin is sin and wouldn't want a strong relationship to be built because of the influence.

/r
Bell186

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When we discussed children, she mentioned that she wanted the children to have a healthy relationship with her sister. I became a bit concerned as we both agreed that there is a spirit over this individual and I wouldn't want that influencing my children and having them believing it's ok to and acceptable.

It's a tough situation because it really is tearing us apart. I care about her but im fearful for my potential children to be influenced by this individual. Am i right for this thought? What are some suggestions? Im trying not to sound like a bigot but I believe sin is sin and wouldn't want a strong relationship to be built because of the influence.

/r
Bell186
Are you saying you have no other sinners in your family or people with problems you don't agree with? I would just teach them what's in the bible at home or church. And leave the preachy stuff alone , when you visit your wife's sisters. I'm sure she's heard about it before. I'm sure when you future kids grow up. I'm sure they will learn your aunt is truly a woman and leave it alone.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I became a bit concerned as we both agreed that there is a spirit over this individual and I wouldn't want that influencing my children and having them believing it's ok to and acceptable.
Yet another example, as if we needed any more, of why believing nonsense is so damaging.

Children might be denied a loving relationship with their aunt because of imaginary ghosts.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,893.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I think your potential sister in law probably has enough problems on her plate without being singled out as the extra special sinner that can't meet nieces and nephews.

Even if you don't believe in transgender people, it really shouldn't be too hard to be kind and polite.

This is a world filled with people with views you don't agree with, you'll have to teach children how to cope with that, so why not start with yourself and this person who's obviously special to your girlfriend?

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi!

So i've been dating this girl for a while and both of us have committed to honor Christ in our relationship by following his commandments because I truly believe by doing so God will bless us.

We have been discussing marriage/children/more serious questions and she revealed to me about sister (born male transitioned to female) and I was a bit shocked. She immediately mentioned she doesn't condone the behavior and the mother doesn't condone it either but because it's family they continue to show love to this person.

/r
Bell186

Allowing your children to have a normal relationship with family members is not condoning those family members' behavior or teaching your children that that behavior is acceptable, morally right, godly, etc.

If someone in your girlfriend's family was a deadbeat dad and she wanted her children to have a healthy relationship with that person, would you have second thoughts about you and your girlfriend's future together? If your answer is "No", then why the double standard?

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is why most forums prohibit new members from starting threads.

I still don't know why staff hasn't done this here. I'd really like to see the stats on how many "members" CF has with maybe 5 posts or less on the account.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
she doesn't condone the behavior and the mother doesn't condone it either but because it's family they continue to show love to this person.

The "behavior" being ...?

I ask because being transgender is not a "behavior" at all, not that I expect this poster will be returning.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do you think being transgender is a sin? It's not condemned anywhere in the Bible that I know of.
I don't disagree with the point you bring up but let's assume for the sake of argument that it is a sin that is condemned in the bible. How is any Christian to go through life if they are to avoid sinners at all costs? Isn't it a common Christian belief that everyone is a sinner?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying you have no other sinners in your family or people with problems you don't agree with? I would just teach them what's in the bible at home or church. And leave the preachy stuff alone , when you visit your wife's sisters. I'm sure she's heard about it before. I'm sure when you future kids grow up. I'm sure they will learn your aunt is truly a woman and leave it alone.
Fake problem, fake poster, fake moral dilemma, 100% malarkey.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The "behavior" being ...?

I ask because being transgender is not a "behavior" at all, not that I expect this poster will be returning.

images

Yes. What kind of behavior are we worried about?

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Hi!

/r
Bell186

Trying not to sound like a bigot?

Too late......

Reactions: Cute Tink
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fake problem, fake poster, fake moral dilemma, 100% malarkey.
The person sounds like a typical Conservative Christian to me. I really don't think it matters, if he's faking. Many people on here have his views on the subject.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The person sounds like a typical Conservative Christian to me. I really don't think it matters, if he's faking. Many people on here have his views on the subject.

So far, no person has identified this imaginary behavior problem.
You pretend your best shot, ok?

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
The only good thing I can think of about having an attitude like the one in the OP is that by shunning the sister they're protecting her from their own hateful, ignorant bigotry. It's cruel & terrible to do that to her still. It would hurt so much. I feel sorry for any kids growing up with parents who were that backwards. They're not even born yet & you know they're going to be messed up.

Upvote 0