Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have decided...my lunches are getting longer.

it just occurred to me that, depending on what things you want done, you can take a long view or a short view. committees may be taking a longer view but they may also have tunnel vision.
But some things are not worth discussing you just need to go in and get your hands dirty. You can't plan every miniscule thing and micro-manage everything.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
people say do a SWOT analysis before you do anything but I doubt thats what Jesus really did.

I mean he already knew not everyone would like what he did. When God commands you, I think people best obey cos He really knows whats best.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
people say do a SWOT analysis before you do anything but I doubt thats what Jesus really did.

I mean he already knew not everyone would like what he did. When God commands you, I think people best obey cos He really knows whats best.
Yeah, but the problem comes in when two people say God commanded them, and they don't agree with each other.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That doesnt happen a lot of the time because God commands us to do different things. Eg he sent paul one way, mark another. he actually sspearated them. So they werent meant to travel together.

Paul went with silas instead and Barnabus encouraged him. We are not all the same.

Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is it that you are trying to pass through a committee? Sometimes it can be trying, but they exist for a reason. Usually, in a church you can't just let people do whatever they want with the church's resources or whatever. There needs to be a general consensus or representation especially if it involves money or other people's time. I know it feels "good" to insult the committee if you didn't get your way, but that really accomplishes nothing. It's just sour grapes. If things don't go your way; maybe regroup and pray; see if you can better present whatever next time. Or vote for new committee members.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What are you expecting from your committee? A committee by its nature can't do creating thinking, and making a decision is even hard. They've best at providing general guidance and reviewing proposals prepared by individuals or smaller groups. So if you want to get something done, you don't work with the committee; you work with leaders or people who are trusted but also open to doing things. A small group comes up with a proposal that will make sense, informally talks with members of the committee, and finally the committee as a whole approves it.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Imagine if all artists had comittees to do their work and had to consult with everyone before doing something. Not just like minded people but others and people pleased all the time.

imagine if Jesus had to consult a comittee to do any miracles. He only ever needed to ask His Father, but the Pharisees insisted he consult them first, and not do any miracles, even healing on the Sabbath.
Imagine if a group of people came together from different perspectives, different ideas, different agendas, different everything, and all prayed to the same God with a united spirit for using their resources for God's purpose, minus their "ego's" - and heard the same message from God for a united mission and not a second thought was given to who got credit or who was pleased, or who didn't get their way, or who got left out, or whose voice was not heard. Imagine a fully collaborative team where they were all accountable to and for each other, and consulted each other because they care about others' perspectives. Imagine a team led by one Spirit speaking to each, leading each, showing each member how they can best serve him in that place and in that time....

Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Imagine if a group of people came together from different perspectives, different ideas, different agendas, different everything, and all prayed to the same God with a united spirit for using their resources for God's purpose, minus their "ego's" - and heard the same message from God for a united mission and not a second thought was given to who got credit or who was pleased, or who didn't get their way, or who got left out, or whose voice was not heard. Imagine a fully collaborative team where they were all accountable to and for each other, and consulted each other because they care about others' perspectives. Imagine a team led by one Spirit speaking to each, leading each, showing each member how they can best serve him in that place and in that time....

This would be nice but will never happen. There is always one who seems to like to make life difficult if for no other reason than they didnt get their way. They dont even care how anyone else feels, it's their way or they will make life difficult for e v e r y b o d y else. Even if they did hear from God, and even if He didnt agree with them they will still have a fit.

Reactions: DawnStar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is it that you are trying to pass through a committee?

What are you expecting from your committee?

I am not positive mina and hedrick what goodbook is trying to get through a committee but from the quotes below from another posting where she was upset about there being too much noise at church and wanted a quiet corner and some suggested she take it before the church and since she hasnt answered for sure I am wondering if this is it but since she hasnt said for sure I could be wrong.

Its bothering me because my pastor said something today about me living in fantasy of having a quiet corner of the church.

Why should the people who want to have peace and quiet tolerate the noisy ones???

When I first became a christian I didnt realise churches these days were sooo noisy

Reactions: DawnStar
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
This would be nice but will never happen. There is always one who seems to like to make life difficult if for no other reason than they didnt get their way. They dont even care how anyone else feels, it's their way or they will make life difficult for e v e r y b o d y else. Even if they did hear from God, and even if He didnt agree with them they will still have a fit.
Such a shame there is so little faith that this can happen. Interprofessional teams happen at work all the time and can come up with team-based solutions - and that is without the Spirit leading! I think the church could learn a lot from the world when it comes to collaboration.

Reactions: shelley1952
Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Such a shame there is so little faith that this can happen. Interprofessional teams happen at work all the time and can come up with team-based solutions - and that is without the Spirit leading! I think the church could learn a lot from the world when it comes to collaboration.

That is so true. The church cant agree on things and thats why some people dont want to become Christians because of what they see. It is a shame.

Reactions: ValleyGal
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yea not sure what the purpose of a commitee is if I can just go to the leader. Possibly I was told to go to the comittee by someone who used to be a leader.
But I dont hear anything from them, so, I dont think theres any point.

I will scrap the idea and just not be part of that group anymore. IF they dont want to hear then too bad.

Upvote 0