new_man

Jul 2, 2010
✟15,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

The saga continues with my daughter T (17 now, will be 18 in September). Some time ago I had the dilemma of her boyfriend N (18) sleeping over. In that instance circumstances intervened and I did not have to make a decision, but in another occasion I allowed him to sleep over after their prom so we could go to church together (he slept downstairs and I in her bedroom).

Around the time of her prom N gave her a ring and they told me they were engaged. She asked for a blessing from me. I told her that I thought it was extremely premature and that neither were ready for marriage; however I gave her my blessing to prepare for a successful married life (which included getting a decent education after high school, acquiring the ability to live independently, etc.). Saying that was tough for me.

After that I took a more hands-off approach: rarely forbidding any requests for activities, avoiding being too inquisitive about their activities, checking up on them less often, etc. This was due to various reasons, one of which was to keep the peace between everyone else (T, N, wife, etc.) and myself.
N got his licensed and they cherished their freedom; I also liked not having to drive them everywhere. Everything appeared fine and they kept reiterating their committment to Christian ideals, going to church, etc. I became complacent; I did not always pray for them or their relationship, which is the thing that I most regret.

A few days ago I was told by wife that they had crossed a line. I was immediately disappointed in myself, thinking that I had let them down - by not ensuring they had a safer environment with clearer guidelines. I was both surprised and not surprised at their behavior. Surprised due to T's strong faith, but at the same time this showed that she's not superhuman and can succumb to temptation just like any of us. I was very sad, disappointed, but I think I handled the situation fairly well. I did not get physical, yell, kick him out of the house, forced them to end their relationship, or anything like that. Instead I calmly told them that I love them, and that I forgave them in the same manner that I was forgiven. I said that I understood their position as I have dealt with those issues as well.
I asked them if they would cross the line again; they said they did not want to, but could not make any promises.

I am in the process of reevaluating what my position should be in this situation, what I should do, what I should say, what I should request.
I asked for a week to figure this out.
In the meantime, I requested that they not stay at N's house without me or wife being present. They obviously feel this is a huge deal and that it is a very unfair restriction.

I am torn about how to proceed and would welcome your feedback of any sort. If it would help provide feedback, I have compiled a short list of questions if you want to read them; answer any number of them if you would like.

Questions:

1. I am told that their prospects of staying pure from here on out are dim, and I agree that those desires may not be realistic. Does that mean I should stop requesting that they follow the higher standard set out in the Bible?
2. Is it unreasonable for me to request from his family that they supervise them a lot more closely while they are at his house?
3. If his household can't guarantee a safe environment, and this couple is not sure of their abilities to stay pure, how far should I go to guarantee that they can't fool around? For example, I am told that requesting they only see each other when I am present is way too restricting.
4. I am constantly being reminded that T will be 18 soon and she will be able to make her own decisions then.
* Does that mean I should let them do as they please now?
* Does that mean I should stop making decency rules and asking that they follow them after her birthday?
5. I have made some serious mistakes in my life (a long time ago, and also recently). Should I hold back on my advice or my requests based on my own failings?
6. My daughter told me that these restrictions are driving a wedge between us. She's also told me that when she's 18 she may want to move out with him to his house. I don't want that to happen. I hope and believe any friction this creates will be temporary. Should I temper my reaction in order to avoid any sort of friction in our relationship?
7. Should I schedule a Christian counseling session for them (e.g., premarital counseling) with a 3rd party?
8. I am trying to look around for abstinence clubs / support groups / classes / conferences, etc. they could attend. Should I forget this approach? If not, can you recommend any resources?
9. My wife is concerned about T's health and will be looking into different contraception avenues. I feel this is a mixed message, yet I share her legitimate concerns. What to do?
10. Since it is better to marry than burn with lust, someone suggested I force them to accelerate their plans for marriage and independent living (e.g., to this month or this summer). This may bring the reality of their current luxurious lifestyle (i.e, lots of perks, not many duties) to the forefront, and they may put on the brakes themselves. Good idea or bad?
11. Another idea: keep them completely apart for 1 or 2 weeks, with the objective of them realizing how good they have it now, and that my requests are not too onerous. Thumbs up or down?
12. I have been praying for wisdom, courage, strength, love, and peace. Will you please also keep us in your prayers?
In Him,
new_man

Reactions: Holly's_Dream

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it sounds like you done a good job raising her,She knows your belief.I would just worry more about birth control,Protection and what she plans to do with their life.Also I think since she almost 18,She's old enought to make her own mistakes.I wouldn't force her to marry,That should be up to them.

Upvote 0

Blue sapphire

Mar 20, 2009
Queensland
✟15,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Never easy questions new man......most of your early childhood work is done. She now is independant and seeking out her own life.

She will make mistakes like all of us.....treat her, like God treats you, when you fail to meet his expectations.

Always be there....yet be prepared to offer her words of wisdom.....words fitly chosen and few of them for maximium impact.

For this, you will need wisdom from above.

May God be with you.....on this incredible journey.

Upvote 0

PolarBear3

Jul 4, 2008
North Carolina
✟7,791.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think you can hold her to biblical standards when she is with you and when she is in your home, but outside of your home, at her boyfriends' place or anywhere else ... she has to make her own decisions (right or wrong) and live by the standards she chooses. That doesn't mean you shouldn't encourage her to have biblical standards, but it has to be her choice to follow them.

I would recommend looking at the "Courting Couples" section of these forums. Many discussions are about going too far or how to keep from going too far with a boyfriend/girlfriend. That may be a good resource for you (and for her).

If she thinks she is old enough to be engaged, then I think she is old enough to act like an adult. What are her plans for after high school? How does she plan to accomplish her goals? Does getting married immediately after high school make those plans/goals more difficult? Or does it make more sense to wait? How will she and her boyfriend/husband support themselves? How would having children affect her plans? I think these are some questions she should be thinking about and you can help her look at her options and what is realistic.

If they are already engaged, then having them meet for couples/pre-marital counseling sounds like a good idea. Even if they aren't planning on getting married for a long time, it can still help them learn something about marriage. They both need to be open to that option though.

I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Whatever else you do keep the relationship with your daughter and him intact. Many marriages did not begin as the parents or even the couple wanted. Family support and acceptance can make the difference between short term disappointment and long term issues. Try and communicate (not easy in such circumstances) but handled well you may find the relationship between you all is strengthened. Many Christian parents face this issue. Wisdom and grace are needed.

And, although is might seem like condoning, you need to raise the issue of birth control. A pregnancy is now a possibility unless faced up to now.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

highranger

Jul 4, 2006
✟7,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1. I am told that their prospects of staying pure from here on out are dim, and I agree that those desires may not be realistic. Does that mean I should stop requesting that they follow the higher standard set out in the Bible?
we all fall short of the glory of God..but are thankful for grace..!! don't let other parents tell you what they will or will not allow..they are either blind to the facts of what their kids are doing, or either it just makes them feel better to make someone else think their kids are perfect..but none are..

2. Is it unreasonable for me to request from his family that they supervise them a lot more closely while they are at his house?
you can, but your daughter is pretty much grown..maybe not able to support herself in this day and time..but she has her own life to live..you have to let go.

3. If his household can't guarantee a safe environment, and this couple is not sure of their abilities to stay pure, how far should I go to guarantee that they can't fool around? For example, I am told that requesting they only see each other when I am present is way too restricting.??
just be their for her when she makes mistakes and let her know every day you love her..

4. I am constantly being reminded that T will be 18 soon and she will be able to make her own decisions then.
* Does that mean I should let them do as they please now?
they are going to any way..swallow your pride, pray for them daily, she will turn out just fine..!!

* Does that mean I should stop making decency rules and asking that they follow them after her birthday?
rules are rules, but don't expect them to keep any that you or i couldn't at her age..again love her and let her know you are their for her..

5. I have made some serious mistakes in my life (a long time ago, and also recently). Should I hold back on my advice or my requests based on my own failings?
no, but ask her if she minds if you tell her what you went through in those tough times..she'll be alot more likely to listen then just giving her a lecture..

6. My daughter told me that these restrictions are driving a wedge between us. She's also told me that when she's 18 she may want to move out with him to his house. I don't want that to happen. I hope and believe any friction this creates will be temporary. Should I temper my reaction in order to avoid any sort of friction in our relationship?
never get into a discussion bearing your emotions..if you can't sit down and have a calm conversation..tell her you would like to talk about these things later..and then follow though..she will respect you alot more and it will show her respect as well

7. Should I schedule a Christian counseling session for them (e.g., premarital counseling) with a 3rd party?
it will not hurt, but don't be alarmed if she does not attend..but in the back of her mind she will know you are looking out for her and it does mean alot to teens..

8. I am trying to look around for abstinence clubs / support groups / classes / conferences, etc. they could attend. Should I forget this approach? If not, can you recommend any resources?
it's a little late for that at her age, but with prayer it's worth a try..but seek prayer before you move towards this..and God will guide you..

9. My wife is concerned about T's health and will be looking into different contraception avenues. I feel this is a mixed message, yet I share her legitimate concerns. What to do?
just depends if you want to wait around to see how quickly she becomes pregnant..kids today are under alot more sexual pressure than we were..we are saved by grace not our deeds..good or bad, use common sense..!!

10. Since it is better to marry than burn with lust, someone suggested I force them to accelerate their plans for marriage and independent living (e.g., to this month or this summer). This may bring the reality of their current luxurious lifestyle (i.e, lots of perks, not many duties) to the forefront, and they may put on the brakes themselves. Good idea or bad?

i'd stay out of their lives on this one..because if it goes the other way your going to be standing their looking kinda helpless..let them work this out..just always be their for her if her life falls apart..that's what God does for us..being a parent for young adults is not about getting what we want..it takes alot of give and very little take..

11. Another idea: keep them completely apart for 1 or 2 weeks, with the objective of them realizing how good they have it now, and that my requests are not too onerous. Thumbs up or down?
one word, hormones..you will not defeat them..it's natures way of ensuring existence..we do the best we can as parents and come to realize that our kids are not going to be like us..for better or worse..and they are loved by the same God that loves you and me..i went out on several rocky ledges at that age..but God was always their to open doors for me..it hurts as a parent to watch this happen, but life has a way of strengthening us to become successful adults..just always love her, and never be afraid to tell her that..no matter how angry or frustrated you get..God gets pretty frustrated with us i'm sure..but his love is always their when we need it..model yourself after Christ and it all will become clearier..

12. I have been praying for wisdom, courage, strength, love, and peace. Will you please also keep us in your prayers?
done, just remember it's life..it will not turn out how you have it planned..but if you hold on to Christ you will become stronger..Christ is about love and grace and forgiveness..not so much on rules and punishments..the best thing i can tell you is every night forgive her completely in your prayers, don't bring any thing from the past into today with her..when you wake every morning..realise she belongs to God not you, she is his sheep..he is the shepherd..she is precious to him..at her age all you can do is try to guide her..and God will guide her as well..if she strays Christ will go after her..but let go..nothing on this world is ours..it all belongs to Christ..we can not hold on to it..

this is all JMO..i screw up daily and i have teens as well..it's not easy to raise them..the easy thing to do is to give up on them..never do that..fight the good fight, pick your battles, and learn to accept that God is in control..!!

Upvote 0

JanniGirl

Jun 17, 2010
✟2,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If she's living in your house, then she should follow your rules. If she's "adult" enough to make adult choices, then she needs to be fully adult. Pay her own way, etc.

This quasi state that we allow are grown teens to enter does nothing to assist them in becoming self sufficient adults. If my child is a child (even a rather old one) and needs my support financially and a place to live, food, clothing, car, etc. then they need to learn to respect my position of authority over them. If they don't want those perks, then they are free to pretty well do what they please. You're condoning it if you allow it in your house.

Do you have younger children? What will the impact be on them when they see what you allow their older sibling to do in you home while you are financially supporting her?

Upvote 0