daughter going to college and car insurance

smarch

Oct 23, 2012
✟15,218.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Our daughter is going off to college. Does anyone know of a car insurance company that let's you drop a son or daughter from the policy while they are in college and not just give a reduced rate? She will be doing sports while in college so she will not have time to have a job in college to pay for her part of our insurance.

beaverpond

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
✟8,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some states require that anybody with a driver license must carry at minimum, insurance on their license for any vehicle they drive. They must carry something for having a drivers license. Other states will require they be kept on the policy as the third driver and all you have to do is talk with your insurance agent about how your child is going to be at college starting on "x" date and will not be driving and will not have a car at school. This may really stink, but it really depends on what your state has setup for laws...this will also allow your child to drive on the times when he or she does come home, like at Christmas and you don't have to play chauffer for your child.

Upvote 0

smarch

Oct 23, 2012
✟15,218.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The company we have will not let us take her off the insurance while in college but will give a reduced rate. I just talked to another company and when I asked them if we would be able to take her off the insurance while in college they said technically yes but that they don't advise doing that. For now we will stick with what we have and she will be able to drive when home for break like Christmas. Not sure yet what we will do next year at this time. It would save us money if she isn't on but then she couldn't drive while home and she said she would be OK with that but I wonder if she really would be.

Upvote 0

beaverpond

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
✟8,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is not judging your parenting skills. But many parents will pay for their kids college education, no issue there. However, many parents require their college age kids to work during the summer to earn what spending money they need during the school year and once it is gone, it is gone. It teaches them about budgeting when they are out on their own once they graduate from college. Also it helps them learn about filing taxes as their parents do and helps the parents as they go after grant money for their kids while in college. I have been watching our Pastor go through this the past few years with his daughter. No parent wants to play chauffer when their kids come home from college until they go back each year and every year. This could be a long two, three, or four years...longer if your child goes further with their education depending on what career path they are going after. Some only need a two year degree, others it is a four year degree, others require a doctorate which for my sister was 12 years.

Upvote 0