Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
How many people think men should pay for the first date? Or dates in general?

I genuinely didn't know this was an issue till recently. Apparently I've been living under a rock and so was very much astonished.

I assumed if you eat something you pay for it... because real life?

But apparently some men think they are superior to women. I meant some woman think their dates SHOULD be paid for by men, that's different.

Is this a general rule I should remember? I feel weird that I grew up thinking boys where people like me.

(Points of consideration: lesbians, gay men, and women asking men out).

Last edited:

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I genuinely didn't know this was an issue till recently. Apparently I've been living under a rock and was very much astonished.

But apparently some men think they are superior to women. I meant some woman think think their dates SHOULD be paid for by men, that's different.

Is this a general rule I should remember? I feel weird that I grew up thinking boys where people like me.
I'm sorry. But if a man cant afford to take me out. They will eat nothing . They are screwed. I'm very flexible. I will except corn dogs and wine at his place. But I expect for him to pay. But if you're into both paying. Maybe he could pay the first meal , you can pay the next meal. Or bring a calculator and split the meal and tip.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm sorry. But if a man cant afford to take me out. They will eat nothing . They are screwed. I'm very flexible. I will except corn dogs and wine at his place.

I'm not sure what you really mean, or if you're joking. :D

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I genuinely didn't know this was an issue till recently. Apparently I've been living under a rock and so was very much astonished.

But apparently some men think they are superior to women. I meant some woman think their dates SHOULD be paid for by men, that's different.

You girls ain't gettin my money!

I guess the idea of a man paying as a rule, is a symbolical gesture to suggest that he's a good provider, in a society where a man is expected to provide. If man is not expected to be the provider, as a matter of gender role, there is little point to such gestures.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure what you really mean, or if you're joking. :D
I'm poor and serious. Maybe I could take him to taco bell. But I expect him to buy me wine.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You girls ain't gettin my money!

But I need it to want a closer relationship... that doesn't make me a prostitute.

I guess the idea of a man paying as a rule, is a symbolical gesture to suggest that he's a good provider, in a society where a man is expected to provide. If man is not expected to be the provider, as a matter of gender role, there is little point to such gestures.

Don't you think this would be better shown by killing an deer with a spear? How will I know you can provide for helpless me otherwise?

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm poor and serious. Maybe I could take him to taco bell. But I expect him to buy me wine.

I totally get having little money. I'm just not assuming he has more. And we don't have to go to Italy to have dinner. :D

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If both have jobs, each pay their own way. If one is not employed and the other is then the employed should pay. If neither is employed they could go to a food bank then make a small cooking fire in an abandoned wooded area and see what they can make out of what they got.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
But if you're into both paying. Maybe he could pay the first meal , you can pay the next meal. Or bring a calculator and split the meal and tip.

Splitting seems equal on every initial date.

But if you're in a relationship, taking turns seems like a good idea, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If both have jobs, each pay their own way. If one is not employed and the other is then the employed should pay. If neither is employed they could go to a food bank then make a small cooking fire in an abandoned wooded area and see what they can make out of what they got.

Baked beans for everyone!

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I totally get having little money. I'm just not assuming he has more. And we don't have to go to Italy to have dinner. :D
Yes, I don't care about the rich guy. I want a good guy. So an expensive dinner doesn't mean much.

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
But I need it to want a closer relationship... that doesn't make me a prostitute.

You're not supposed to say that out loud, you know. I am comfortable with being robbed and economically abused, but I expect to be given the right to imagine that it's not a trade deal.

Don't you think this would be better shown by killing an deer with a spear? How will I know you can provide for helpless me otherwise?

Uhhh, how about a reindeer? We have more of those over here in north.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Baked beans for everyone!
I love baked beans on my hot dogs. My cousin excepts these expensive meals. She ends up with A holes. I rather skip that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I always considered paying for the date as a matter of "her getting something out of it". After all, I'm going to try and have sex with her...and if she has to put up with that, she should at least get a free meal out of it.

• Haha
Reactions: quatona
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The guy should pay - for all of it. With no expectation of anything in return.

And no Ana - sex while dating should NEVER be expected. That is reserved for after you get married.

Upvote 0