Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many years. You aren't alone. Some people believe all Christians go through it at some point. Some even believe all Christians go through it several times in their life (if one lives a life of normal length).

Ask God to grant you more faith that he is with you and that he loves you—I'm talking about a kind of faith where it actually comforts you a little, rather than it being knowledge with an empty feeling. One of the best things is to not keep it to yourself. Express it to those who won't judge you, such as kindred souls in a support group. Another thing that matters is to be getting consistent prayer support.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I've been through it a couple of times. Once through it I find my faith has grown stronger and deeper because at the end of the day when everything seems to be going wrong and God seems silent 'I will trust in the Lord'.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,571.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Aah, thank you brothers, for your words of encouragement. My own experiences with this have prompted me to study those dear ones throughout history who suffered such.

Sometimes i wonder if, the dark hole seems the more darker and deeper, the more one really pours out their heart n' soul to God.

(i might not have explained that well...i don't mean that God in return tosses us there after we pour out our hearts n' souls to Him.....but there have been times He's been "silent"?)

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It forces you to a state of pure faith. Where your faith isn't just about bible facts and God coming to bail us out every time we scrap our knee and let out a cry. But we love Him purely for who He is.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,571.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It forces you to a state of pure faith. Where your faith isn't just about bible facts and God coming to bail us out every time we scrap our knee and let out a cry. But we love Him purely for who He is.

Therein lies the quagmire. And yes, it is true, yet at the time, being it seems, alone, one can be in despair indescribably.

Are there any people of God that come to mind, who may have experienced something similar?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Therein lies the quagmire. And yes, it is true, yet at the time, being it seems, alone, one can be in despair indescribably.

Are there any people of God that come to mind, who may have experienced something similar?
Job always comes to mind first. If that's what you were asking?

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,571.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Job always comes to mind first. If that's what you were asking?

Aah, yes, Job comes to mind for me as well.

Would what he experienced be possibly described as a "dark night of the soul"?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Aah, yes, Job comes to mind for me as well.

Would what he experienced be possibly described as a "dark night of the soul"?
Although I highly respect St John of the cross 'the dark night of the soul' is but a poem and does carry some spiritual truths we can gleen from but the clearest truths are revealed directly from scripture. As I'm sure you would agree with, just pointing out for clarification sake.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,571.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Although I highly respect St John of the cross 'the dark night of the soul' is but a poem and does carry some spiritual truths we can gleen from but the clearest truths are revealed directly from scripture. As I'm sure you would agree with, just pointing out for clarification sake.

I don't disagree....

There's been an on-going study of Job that entwined with my own deep despairing. As such, what comes to mind for me is that deep despairing that the people of God experienced.

There's Elijah, for instance.

(i will clarify my point soon)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Not to derail your thread but I prefer biblical interpretations that include 'theology of the cross' verses 'theology of glory onlyism' which leaves folks willfully unprepared for life's struggles and possible abandonment of the faith.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,571.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Not to derail your thread but I prefer biblical interpretations that include 'theology of the cross' verses 'theology of glory onlyism' which leaves folks willfully unprepared for life's struggles and possible abandonment of the faith.

Ok, you done lost me, me friend....

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Ok, you done lost me, me friend....
Basically theology of the cross is when God actually uses our struggles in life to strengthen our faith and character. He call us to 'take up our crosses daily' Luke 9:23 and we must not forget Psalm 23:4 yea, though I walk 'through' the valley of death... God often uses the struggles of life for our benefit rather than just always extracting us from those circumstances on the basis of the strength of our faith, i.e. 'Theology of glory onlyism'. I believe God can and will help us avoid and save us 'from' pitfalls but typically He saves us 'through' pitfalls.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,571.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Basically theology of the cross is when God actually uses our struggles in life to strengthen our faith and character. He call us to 'take up our crosses daily' Luke 9:23 and we must not forget Psalm 23:4 yea, though I walk 'through' the valley of death... God often uses the struggles of life for our benefit rather than just always extracting us from those circumstances on the basis of the strength of our faith, i.e. 'Theology of glory onlyism'. I believe God can and will help us avoid and save us 'from' pitfalls but typically He saves us 'through' pitfalls.

Aah, y'see, i'm not so sure that a "dark night of the soul" is the same as a "pitfall".

For instance, Jesus Himself was going through something one could call the "dark night of the soul", so to speak, so much so that He sweat as it were, great drops of blood".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.