The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ivan Plis wrote a good article about what Inquirers maybe should be warned about when looking at The Church in an online setting. A lot of us might be seeing this in our friend's newsfeeds or other forums, but for those not plugged into the Orthosphere, this is a good article reiterating some warnings we might've mentioned to you already.

And if nothing else it gives you links to Orthodox Ryan Gosling and Orthodox Grumpy Cat...

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A thoughtful piece. In my own experience, internet Orthodoxy might be likened to a minefield. If you don't have a guide to help you avoid the bad stuff you can get into trouble.

Amen. If I hadn't had a parish to go to and learn from, goodness knows what I would have gotten into. Also, if people have serious issues, they need to be speaking to their priest not coming on forums and asking for advice as to what they should do. Your priest knows you way better than anyone on an internet forum and the priest will give you advice tailored to you.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen. If I hadn't had a parish to go to and learn from, goodness knows what I would have gotten into. Also, if people have serious issues, they need to be speaking to their priest not coming on forums and asking for advice as to what they should do. Your priest knows you way better than anyone on an internet forum and the priest will give you advice tailored to you.

And the priest also has the grace from his ordination to give that help. We, on the other hand, do not.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope I don't step on any toes, but EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD AND IN THIS SUBFORUM is "internet Orthodoxy!!" We talk about what nutters they can be and yet who are we? Every single poster in TAW has said something extreme or harsh or rough or overly-passionate and nutty at some time that could've turned someone off.

And from my experience, local folks can be just as passionate and extreme, too. And how many people in here came to find Orthodoxy through the internet? The OP, Joseph, you found Orthodoxy through that guy talking tattoos, the guy with the mandrake mustache at your wedding, right? He opened you up to it. And oddly enough, my talking to you got a conversation about it going. Internet Orthodoxy can be a blessing and a curse I suppose, like anything else!

I met my wife on the internet!! And yet I also know that tons of scammer and perverts are on the internet, too. Hard to say if real life is much better half the time! I usually like the people I meet online better than in "real" life! ^_^^_^:p

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We're not saying that Internet Orthodoxy is completely bad, gurney. The article makes that point too. There are, however (and you've met them too) online Orthodox users who are...out there. Most normal Orthodox people understand the difference, but I thought this was a good article for any inquirers we had on the board. I know there are several.

Though TAW is one of the best places I've found for having the highest percentage of not-Netodox. I've been on other forums where the "We put the fun in Fundamentalist, but don't actually have any fun!" crowd has ruled the roost, and left them.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, true enough

We're not saying that Internet Orthodoxy is completely bad, gurney. The article makes that point too. There are, however (and you've met them too) online Orthodox users who are...out there. Most normal Orthodox people understand the difference, but I thought this was a good article for any inquirers we had on the board. I know there are several.

Though TAW is one of the best places I've found for having the highest percentage of not-Netodox. I've been on other forums where the "We put the fun in Fundamentalist, but don't actually have any fun!" crowd has ruled the roost, and left them.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,094.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It can work - I met my GodPapa through an Orthodox Site - and also a GOA Priest, who has become a reply good friend [ we've met several times ;) ]

There's no doubt you have to be wary - both with information you give and accept.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

and even without the occaisional wackido, real illumination comes from the sacraments and the prayers in Church, something the Net cannot provide

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I knew I needed to get to know the people in my parish better when I realized my prayer list contained more Internet people than people from my parish. I knew when the poster on TAW needed prayers for a job and didn't know anyone in my parish well enough to know if anyone there needed prayers for a job. It was a bit of a wake-up call.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"You know you need to cut back on the internet when your prayers sound like this:

Dear Lord, please help JuJuBee23 with her child's cold, and PrinceHumphry needs to find a new job. Please help AlexandriaisAwesome sell her house, and JohnoftheNorth with his relocation to Australia. Finally, please don't forget FreeBuckbeak with his new ministry helping animals. In Jesus' name..."

Upvote 0

Columba7

Apr 7, 2014
✟15,249.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Internet Orthodox communities are certainly a nice refuge for folks, including myself, who have to travel quite a distance for services. I only see my fellow parishioners for a couple of hours every two or three weeks and even then they tend to be wise, elderly sorts who likely wouldn't get on with a young bloke like me.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I never would have known the Orthodox Church existed if it weren't for the 'net.

Well, OK, I knew it existed, but I thought it was a church for immigrants who only spoke Greek and I wasn't even sure it was Christian - just a big building I drove past that said "Greek" out front. We had a Jewish synagogue and a Arabic mosque too. I wouldn't have paid it any mind, I can say that much. (Sorry, that might have sounded rough, I don't mean to insult the church, only a comment on my own ignorance.)

And I likely wouldn't have become interested, or learned much, if not for the internet. I did learn quickly that I had to be careful who I listened to. People online are just like people in real life. We are human and have our faults. :)

I do think TAW (what little time I've spent here) seems a little "safer" than a few other places I've explored. I've seen some really odd comments on other websites. The safety of a forum is that you generally have other voices to offer correction.

Not having had a home church for over 4 years, I was getting my fellowship online (though I only discovered CF a several months ago). But I certainly believe one should be involved in their own church. I just didn't have one. ;)

Also, the church is a distance away. And I don't really "know" anyone yet. I recognize folks I see in church, but in a normal week I'm there 2 or 3 times, briefly, and usually for a class so not that many other people are there. And I don't have nearly enough time to ask questions there, so the internet is more helpful. And other people think to ask questions I didn't even know enough to ask.

I can see there are dangers and potential pitfalls, but it can be a good thing too.

And Orthodox Grumpy Cat is too cool. :cool:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I hope you will find a church in which you feel welcome.

Was that for me?

If so I thank you. I have indeed been warmly welcomed and embraced by the Greek Orthodox Church.

My husband was gracious enough to allow me to come more often this week. I had mostly been attending only Wed services, but I had the chance to attend the Bridegroom service on Tuesday. I was so touched, I went home and asked his permission to attend the weekday services (which meant we barely saw each other the rest of the week, and at best he's getting crock pot dinners). There has been so much to do and so many services, I've practically lived here (at church right now) since Thurs. and I should be able to attend Pascha tonight and he plans to come to Agape Vespers tomorrow.

Everything is great. :). I just wish it wasn't so far away and I'm going to miss it next week. The calendar is nearly wiped clean. ;)

Upvote 0