Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Cable companies given walking papers at intensifying pace | CNBC

The data show that the so-called "cord-cutting" phenomenon—where consumers jettison traditional cable and satellite packages in favor of streaming services—is about to get a lot worse. A new report by Magid Advisors surveyed 2,400 consumers and found that cord cutting is not only on the rise, but it's happening much quicker than industry watchers anticipated.

According to Magid, 3.7 percent of pay TV subscribers age 18 to 64 said they were "extremely likely" to cancel their pay TV service in the next 12 months. That number is up from 2.9 percent in 2014, and represents a 95 percent increase over results from 2011.
Greenfield said companies such as Netflix, Amazon and even a new Kardashian app stand to benefit "as more consumers 'cut' or 'shave' the cord," and free up dollars to spend elsewhere.
Who saw that coming? Consumers unwilling to spend upwards of $100 per month on programming for hundreds of channels they never watch? What a surprise.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I have gone one step further and have stopped watching tv altogether. It doesn't save me any money, but certainly it saves a lot of time.

quote-i-find-television-very-educating-every-time-somebody-turns-on-the-set-i-go-into-the-other-room-groucho-marx-120884.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2009
✟8,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not far away with cutting the cord myself. I still watch some TV, but overall watch less today.

I stopped watching the news channels a couple years ago in particular. I've come to believe they are mainly about entertainment. Instead I now read more and feel better informed.

Reactions: Douger
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Let's see...Netflix, HBO GO, and plenty of things to watch on antenna. Why exactly should I pay $100 a month for a ton of channels, the majority of which I have no use for?
Exactly!

Noting that most broadcast stations broadcast more than one stream of programming. An area with ten broadcast stations likely gets 25 to 30 programming channels. Major markets get even more.

Upvote 0

AtWhatCost

Sep 16, 2015
✟15,254.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

The data show that the so-called "cord-cutting" phenomenon—where consumers jettison traditional cable and satellite packages in favor of streaming services—is about to get a lot worse. A new report by Magid Advisors surveyed 2,400 consumers and found that cord cutting is not only on the rise, but it's happening much quicker than industry watchers anticipated.

According to Magid, 3.7 percent of pay TV subscribers age 18 to 64 said they were "extremely likely" to cancel their pay TV service in the next 12 months. That number is up from 2.9 percent in 2014, and represents a 95 percent increase over results from 2011.
Greenfield said companies such as Netflix, Amazon and even a new Kardashian app stand to benefit "as more consumers 'cut' or 'shave' the cord," and free up dollars to spend elsewhere.
Who saw that coming? Consumers unwilling to spend upwards of $100 per month on programming for hundreds of channels they never watch? What a surprise.
Who knew? We're trend setters. We quit cable when it went ll the way up to $35 a month (including HBO and Cinemax. lol) We have this thingy on our house... it's called an antenna and it works!
wow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We tried cutting the cord and did for a few weeks when finances got bad but all the stuff we used on roku the bill was the same, so we went to Directv and got a 200 dollar gift card which was a godsend. I learned I will not be cutting the cord anytime soon again.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let's see...Netflix, HBO GO, and plenty of things to watch on antenna. Why exactly should I pay $100 a month for a ton of channels, the majority of which I have no use for?
Exactly!

Noting that most broadcast stations broadcast more than one stream of programming. An area with ten broadcast stations likely gets 25 to 30 programming channels. Major markets get even more.

I get around that many, and even then I only watch a few. The main ones are in HD, and of course you have to pay extra for that with cable.

And the digital subchannel thing is cool. I have a number of those. They're essentially cable-like channels over the air. If I watch an old Chuck Norris movie, I prefer not to pay for it. ^_^

We tried cutting the cord and did for a few weeks when finances got bad but all the stuff we used on roku the bill was the same, so we went to Directv and got a 200 dollar gift card which was a godsend. I learned I will not be cutting the cord anytime soon again.

I can see how that could make things expensive. Netflix plus a rival service plus maybe an on-demand version of a premium TV package could certainly add up, but I much prefer to pay the same amount for stuff I can watch at any time instead of hundreds of channels I might never watch...and that I have to wait for.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I remember about 5 yrs before Steve Jobs died he was talking about TV coming over the internet -- that was before I ever heard of streaming, etc. At the time I couldn't imagine how that could be, though I was retired from the tech sector. I now see and, like others, have cut the cord.

To show the absurdity of the bundled tv services, ESPN used to make a good fraction of each person's monthly payment, whether or not they watched sports even once in the month. ESPN is now howling as they scramble to make up significant and unearned lost revenue.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I remember about 5 yrs before Steve Jobs died he was talking about TV coming over the internet -- that was before I ever heard of streaming, etc. At the time I couldn't imagine how that could be, though I was retired from the tech sector. I now see and, like others, have cut the cord.

To show the absurdity of the bundled tv services, ESPN used to make a good fraction of each person's monthly payment, whether or not they watched sports even once in the month. ESPN is now howling as they scramble to make up significant and unearned lost revenue.

I think the phenomenon of media streaming is just part of what we're seeing in general with how the internet is changing how we manage work and play. I initially didn't understand the whole appeal of cloud computing, and yet even Microsoft Office is now based on the subscription model. In that way I think the software industry has caught up—I don't remember the last time I bought a physical piece of software.

It'll be interesting to see how painful adaptation for the entertainment industry will be. Streaming over the internet has allowed us do things we couldn't previously imagine, such as "binge watching" a season of a TV show over a weekend. Without the structure of a schedule, there's less need for shows to adhere to a 30- or 60-minute time slot. That could have huge ramifications for how entertainment is produced in the future. It's already noticeable on some premium channels like HBO where a program could have an extra-long episode since commercials aren't present.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I have gone one step further and have stopped watching tv altogether. It doesn't save me any money, but certainly it saves a lot of time.

quote-i-find-television-very-educating-every-time-somebody-turns-on-the-set-i-go-into-the-other-room-groucho-marx-120884.jpg

Just do like me and have multiple screens so you can watch TV, read a book, surf the web at the time, and realize that the ADD you were told you had as a kid is very real :D

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Just do like me and have multiple screens so you can watch TV, read a book, surf the web at the time, and realize that the ADD you were told you had as a kid is very real :D
I would just use the multiple screens to surf multiples sites at the same time.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One coworker let me know that it bothered him that I used multiple screens, so one night I put all 3 on the same website. His OCD nearly killed him.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I'm doing that right now...

Upvote 0