Crossposted - looking for help finding a Bible

abadsign

Jul 4, 2006
✟15,203.00
Faith
Christian
(I am crossposting this to a few forums because I'm hoping to get some responses tonight before I have to sign off - hope that's okay)

I have recently become a Christian. I learned about Jesus through talking to other Christians online. The thing is... and I know this is going to sound pretty crazy but circumstances have brought me here... I do not have a Bible, and all the ones I see at Christian bookstores are too expensive for me. I can only read the Bible when I go to the library, or get online at a public computer (there are some public terminals in my city and also at the library of course). I have a lot of credit card debt and I really have a hard enough time eating well these days.

So my question is this... does anyone know where I can get a free Bible? I know that churches do that sort of thing but I don't really know yet what kind of church I want to go to (I've just been talking and praying with other Christians I know online so far) and I don't want to take something free from a church that is expecting me to show up again next week when I really might not. See my dilemma?

Any help would be great.

Reactions: pastel

abadsign

Jul 4, 2006
✟15,203.00
Faith
Christian
Hi amybeth. I did try that. You'd be surprised how hard it is to actually find one though. Almost every result just offers "free bible software" which is fine for what it is but doesn't help me much.

There are two legit results that I could see obviously. One of them is Living Stream Ministries which offers its own version of the Bible, called the Recovery Version, that this church translated for itself. I might go with that but it is unfortunately only the New Testament.

The other is the Mormon church which is offering the KJV for free, but I don't really want to get on their mailing list or have them knocking on my door.

And that's all I found! Odd that one can get a free Koran without from CAIR ( cair-net.org/explorethequran/request.asp ) an organization which has a real privacy policy and doesn't put you on any mailing lists, but one can hardly find a free Bible without getting swamped.

If anybody knows of a church or any group that can help me with this, I'd be glad for a link or phone number :)

Upvote 0

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are several sites that have an online bible. My favorite is www.biblegateway.com

I think you'll really like that one. As far as obtaining a hard copy of a completely free bible, there are several places that do that, but most of them want you to complete a survey or pay shipping and handling. Being a staunce protector of personal privacy, I'm not really in favor of those sites. So I have come up with what I think is a better solution.

Here is a great bible that will cost you 1.99 and the shipping and handling is 3.95.
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=633253&netp_id=319838&event=HPT&item_code=WW#curr

They also have another bible that is just $1.00
here is that link:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=010868&netp_id=377982&event=HPT&item_code=WW

The shipping and handling on that one is also 3.95.

All of the places that offer a free bible also charge about the same for shipping. You can google them. I like these two options best though because the company is very good. I have purchased bibles and books from them before.

As far as a totally free bible goes though, I would go with biblegateway.com

You can read God's word in the King James Version, New International Version, Youngs Literal Translation, American Standard, etc, on that site. It's a fantastic site, and it makes researching very easy as well. It's always nice to have a hard copy of the bible, but in this age, when most of us have access to a computer, I think it's a great idea to take advantage of sites like biblegateway.

Welcome to Christian Forums. I hope we see more of you. :wave:

Upvote 0

Rut

All creation points to the almighty Creator.
Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟56,960.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
we0001.gif

Upvote 0

bfly

Contributor
Oct 2, 2005
Alabama
✟23,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
amybeth105 said:
Hello and welcome to CF! I'm glad you joined us. Perhaps you could get a free Bible via the internet. I would suggest going to a search engine (perhaps google.com) and search for a "free Bible." God bless you!

In Him,
Amy
The soul hardly ever realizes it, but whether he is a believer or not, his loneliness is realy a homesickness for God. -Hubert van Zeller
Hello and Welcome

We are proud you joined our family.
May your time here be spent well.

May all your questions be answered.
May support be found in abundance.

Please visit often and bring all your friends.

You will find the most wonderful refreshments provided free.

I pray your cup will be full and running over with:

Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness and faithfulness.

May the Grace and Mercy of our,
Lord, Jesus Christ
be with your spirit.

Upvote 0

pastel

Lex orandi lexest credendi
Jan 9, 2005
Markleeville
✟6,186.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums