Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I went to a nearby parish today and there was a Cross Dive after the liturgy. (Our priest and several from our parish went for the event.)

Oh, and I was glad to meet a CF/TAW member there who recognized me and introduced himself! :wave: I guess being brave and posting pics was good after all. :)

I tried to read about the tradition/custom online, and found only this one and the one in Tarpon Springs, FL. So I'm curious ... Is this a tradition in Greece? Is it widespread in other Greek parishes?

It's a good thing we're on the Gulf (instead of, say, the North Pacific or Atlantic!) but even so, the weather has been cold for us here. Those kids are some brave souls! My congratulations to a girl from our parish, who managed to be the first and retrieve the Cross from the frigid water!

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've never heard it called a "Cross Dive" specifically but its actually very common. It does necessitate a large body of water and willing divers, so its sometimes not done (my parish back home doesn't do it, I don't know where they would). Sometimes its just a cross thrown into the water (that's how we did it here, tossed into the creek that runs through campus) and sometimes there's a string tied to the cross so the priest can just pull it back.

Look up "Theophany Celebration." The media likes showing Russians diving into water that's only accessible through the big cross cut into the ice for the blessing lol

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
It was a pleasure meeting you, as well. :)

I apologize if I was a little distant today; it was the second anniversary of our losing a fellow service member during an operation in Afghanistan. Laying the wreath in honor of our fallen brothers and sisters in arms (a tradition of our parish at the blessing of the water) was particularly difficult for me this year. I don't know what we could have done differently that day, but I mourn his loss and still feel guilty at times... Memory eternal Aaron...

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love "cross dives" (never heard that term before, either!) but our parish is located next to a rather polluted little lake as well as the Pacific Ocean, neither safe for diving. We used to go to a parish next to a pristine mountain river and they had great dives. I like those photos of three-bar crosses cut into the ice from Russia! Whoo!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It was a pleasure meeting you, as well. :)

I apologize if I was a little distant today; it was the second anniversary of our losing a fellow service member during an operation in Afghanistan. Laying the wreath in honor of our fallen brothers and sisters in arms (a tradition of our parish at the blessing of the water) was particularly difficult for me this year. I don't know what we could have done differently that day, but I mourn his loss and still feel guilty at times... Memory eternal Aaron...

My apologies. I had written a reply to you but it must have not gone through. I think my battery died.

But I wanted to lyk that you had no need to apologize. :). You were very hospitable, and I was surprised to be recognized and remembered. :)

I am sorry to hear about Aaron. May his memory be eternal. I have added him to my prayers. I can understand that must be very difficult for you. May The Lord comfort you as well. I was going to lyk though, in case you might be interested, in the photos posted in the local newspaper online, there is one included I believe is you taking a photo when the wreath was laid, in case you are interested.

I look forward to the consecration of your Church when it happens, and hope I am able to attend. The building is beautiful. I especially like the windows (and I had a spot warmed by the sun when I first arrived and was cold!). Morning services with the sun moving across the windows must be nice. I've found I love the light in a couple of Churches I've visited. :)

Thank you again for the warm welcome. Hopefully I can visit again soon, and perhaps can meet your family then as well. God bless you!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks - "Theiphany celebration" gave me lots of results. :)

Wow, cross-shaped holes in the ice. And some of them had much less clothes than the kids here did! And I saw lots of large crosses made of ice too.

I see it isn't only Greeks as I had wondered.

Thanks very much for the info, everyone. :)

Upvote 0