America
✟14,999.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hammer,
Thanks for commenting on my thread.

<< God is very clear on how he created mankind.
>>
I'm not sure you are aware of the difference between the first and second creation stories in Genesis. I discuss this in post #80.

<< Genesis is a very straightforward book. >>

Not everyone has found it so. I have had exchanges with people who have spent much of their lives trying to figure out what the opening to Genesis 6 means. ( “There were giants in the earth ...”)

<< Genesis has already happened, and the events of Genesis, Adam, Eve, and the serpent are referenced throughout the Bible as if they literally happened. >> On the contrary, I have looked for mention of Adam, Eve, the Garden of Eden, and the Expulsion from Eden and found them to be surprisingly few.

Take a look at this passage in Numbers.

4 They traveled from Mount Hor along the route to the Red Sea, to go around Edom. But the people grew impatient on the way; 5 they spoke against God and against Moses, and said, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? There is no bread! There is no water! And we detest this miserable food!”

6 Then the Lord sent venomous snakes among them; they bit the people and many Israelites died. 7 The people came to Moses and said, “We sinned when we spoke against the Lord and against you. Pray that the Lord will take the snakes away from us.” So Moses prayed for the people.

8 The Lord said to Moses, “Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live.” 9 So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, they lived.

--Numbers 21:4-8 NIV

Moses puts a bronze snake on a pole. It seems to have been completely forgotten that the snake was a symbol of temptation, of disobedience, of evil and of the devil, in Genesis 3.
Serpents are associated with many things, it depends on the context. An example off the top of my head is Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
The serpent is also referenced in other places in the context of deception such as 2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As long as you're being 'rational', how was there light on the Earth to make daytime without a Sun?
You're a preacher and you don't know this? He created "light" on the 1st Day. The spectrum of light (particles and waves) does not require stars for it to exist. God transmits light both in the spiritual realm and in the physical. His light became present in the physical realm that He created on the day. At the end of the ages, He will create a new heaven and earth and the former things will pass away. (Rev.21:23; 22:5) The heavens will melt in a fervent heat. (2 Pet. 3:10)
So you think God had to make the lights in the sky for there to be light? Wow, I would say you are so in the dark about the meaning Genesis, the actual meaning of a day.

"Evening and Morning, the (nth) day... " A rational view presents the terms 'evening and morning' derive from the natural occurance of the relative motion of the Earth's rotation relative to the Sun. (Sun 'comes up' is morning; Sun 'goes down' is evening.) These terms were used (in whatever language) long before the invention of the clock, or even the concept of 'keeping time'.
Right, they were used by God. We know now that it is roughly 24 hours for this cycle. And ...?

Bad news. The Bible does use the word for 'ages' or 'epochs'. Please don't mistake the English language translation (primarily the King James Version) as the original text. See H3117 in Strong's as mentioned above.

Your other assumption which lacks completeness of thought is the audience to whom the Torah was intended. None of those people had the scientific background to grasp the idea of a singularity or expanding Universe, or even a Universe comprised of more than the Sun, Moon, Earth and a few sparky things in the sky. The distinction between the Galaxy and the Universe was only realized in the early part of the last Century. (Edwin Hubble, circa 1925

Right aeonios or aeon. This was a tongue in cheek fabrication of mine to make a point arguing against Theistic Evolution. The language in Genesis as it reads in dozens of translations speaks plainly and simply about what took place and how long it took that a 4 year old can understand it. I could just picture myself explaining what a day means to my (once 4 year old) and her getting it: Do you see the sun rise daughter? Yes. Well, that's means it's daytime. It rises in the east and when you see it all the way over on the opposite side of the sky, it will set - that's the end of 1 day and then that will start the night and so on ... both of them together we count as 1 day! Then we have 7 days in the week. Understand? Yes Daddy. Maybe you should ask you're Daddy what 1 day means?

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But in California the night and day are a result of sun and star light?
Those are listed later in the week, literally speaking.
Are you trying to be smart? Please spare me.
Those scriptures are also speaking to people who have been around for 2000 years or so who know what one day is!

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Or how Jesus can heal people so amazing easily
compared to the white coats. He does it so fast!
You can hardly see the quick movements of his
hand when he switches the wine out for water.
Penn & Teller would be stunned. Teller would
be speechless!
You do not sound like a non-denominational Christian, this sounds like someone who is mocking Jesus and the Bible story.
Why don't just be honest and just say atheist / evolutionist? You seem to deny miracles but pick and choose scriptures like "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and discard whatever doesn't fit into your theories. It's interesting why you use this scripture: 13" Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many enter through it." You should head this warning because the message is for you too. Christianity is the narrow gate, believing in Jesus is the source of salvation. If you don't believe He could turn water into wine, then it's obvious you don't really think He can do much else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You do not sound like a non-denominational Christian, this sounds like someone who is mocking Jesus and the Bible story.
Why don't just be honest and call yourself an anti-Christ, atheist evolutionist? You seem to deny miracles but pick and choose scriptures like "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and discard whatever doesn't fit into your theories. It's interesting why you use this scripture: 13" Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many enter through it." You should head this warning because the message is for you too. Christianity is the narrow gate, believing in Jesus is the source of salvation. If you don't believe He could turn water into wine, then it's obvious you don't really thing He can do much else.

I urge you to look again below. The "narrow" way is referring to the previous verse
in proper context and has no connection as you've described it.

There are no miracles I deny happened. But I've come to the conclusion that the
scriptures where written by normal people for good reason. And from a variety
of viewpoints as well. Also for good reason.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you trying to be smart? Please spare me.
Those scriptures are also speaking to people who have been around for 2000 years or so who know what one day is!

Days and nights without sunlight or starlight? I don't thinks that's correct.
Lets stay literal here for this exercise, becasue you've requested it.
Stay with me now:

Day One
Watery, formless planet Earth suspended in the darkness and the void of space (no sun or any other stars, no moon, no planets yet existed—except for Earth). Light. Separation of light from the darkness—and the first indication that the planet is rotating (day and night cycle produced).

Day Two
Formation of Earth’s atmosphere, separating the water into two parts: (a) oceanic and subterranean water (b) atmospheric water.

Day Three
Dry land and oceans. System to water the entire land surface using subterranean waters (involving springs or mist, or both). Vegetation, seed-bearing plants, trees that bear fruit. Garden of Eden (probably).

Day Four
Sun Moon—complete with established orbit so as to mark passage of time (months, seasons, and years). Stars and other planets.

Day Five
Water creatures of all kinds. (All that had “the breath of life” were vegetarian.) Birds (all vegetarian). Day Six Land animals (all vegetarian): (a) creatures that move close to the ground (small animals), (b) large animals, and (c) animals of use to man as livestock. First man, Adam. First woman, Eve (formed from Adam). More info

Read more at: http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-ordercreation.html

So that is literally 3 literal 24-hour days before the sun, stars, moon and planets were created.
Most people literally don't get that.
Do you litterally get that or do you
allow a 3 day "Fudge Factor" where
you say, "With God anything is possible."

Not that I mind. But let's not say that
ones Faith is literally grounded and then
dream of 24-hour days and nights
without the sun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I urge you to look again below. The "narrow" way is referring to the previous verse
in proper context and has no connection as you've described it.

Jesus is the WAY! Through Him we find salvation, all other ways lead to destruction.

There are no miracles I deny happened. But I've come to the conclusion that the
scriptures where written by normal people for good reason. And from a variety
of viewpoints as well. Also for good reason.

The Bible was physically written by men of God but inspired by Him. This means that all scripture is God breathed, every word of it. It wasn't contrived by man. It wasn't paraphrased or put in their own words.
"For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thought and intents of the heart." Heb.4:12
It's living, active, penetrates the soul of man and changes lives. It has spiritual power, not like anything man writes.
All scripture is spiritually discerned.(1 Cor. 2:14) If you are not born again, you do not have the Holy Spirit, therefore cannot discern scripture. It appears to be your problem.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So that is literally 3 literal 24-hour days before the sun, stars, moon and planets were created.
Most people literally don't get that.
Do you litterally get that or do you
allow a 3 day "Fudge Factor" where
you say, "With God anything is possible."

Not that I mind. But let's not say that
ones Faith is literally grounded and then
dream of 24-hour days and nights
without the sun.

Yes, as I explained previously, that the sun, moon and stars were created on Day 4 and the light that God created on Day One was light that is seen in our physical realm (radiated FROM HIM), the spectrum with waves and particles - quite complex. He is light, but is Spirit and on that first day He manifested His light.
I guess you can say He figured, might as well turn on the light first so I can see what I'm doin! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The days/nights in Genesis and in Torrance, Ca. btw total 24 hours. To see this any other way is a distortion of the literal words. God made light, he called the light day and the darkness night (isn't that what you call them?) On the third day, vegetation; on the 4th day, the sun, moon and stars. Again, how could vegetation survive millions of years without the sun? It's not rational. Then he created the animal kingdom on the 5th day - finished! On day 6, Man, finished and it was good. God didn't say, well it's a start, eventually they'll evolve and then it will be good. No, it was good and the Garden of Eden was Paradise, finished. The light from the stars was given to us instantly, it didn't take billions of years to get to us -- that's an assumption. These scientists don't factor God's supernatural power into the equation.

Micro-evolution exists and simply is change within one kind to adapt to it's changing environment or migration to another part of the world, cold or hot, wet or dry. These are built into the genetic codes as adaptive mechanisms. God designed life that way - to adapt. So you have a full range of possibilities, just not one kind changing into another.
It is very possible that these flightless birds flew at one time. What had to be different? Their weight and then size and power of their wings obviously. So they were smaller to begin with. If that bird started eating different fruit that put on weight, then over generations, flew less and less until they couldn't, their wings would be useless and then wing size smaller, etc. That's adapting, like a moth changing colors to camouflage itself if all of a sudden white trees died off in the
the forest that they were in. Wouldn't you say chameleons are adaptive - just quicker, within seconds, a protective mechanism designed into it. Humans have gotten lighter colored skin because they moved into northern climates further away from the equator, hair changed as well. Those who spread to hotter climates became darker with courser hair. The melanin in their skin has something to do with that. That's not a mutation, it was a built in adaptive mechanism. We
all came from two people. These changes only took dozens of generations, not tens of thousands of years.
Any fossils we have are not transitional forms, they are just extinct species, that may resemble animals today but they are their own kind. I would guess Mammoths, having hair, slightly different size and shape were just elephants we see today. Look close at an elephant, they have course hair, just not much of it. A saber-toothed tiger is a tiger, that needed larger fangs at the time, fighting larger prey. Dinosaurs were large lizards that lived for hundreds of years. Lizards don't stop growing. And the large predators and dinosaurs were obviously left behind - God did not order them into the Ark and passed them up - thank you very much. Their bones could only have been preserved as we see them, from an deluge that suddenly buried them in mud. If bones are left on the ground from animals that just natural die, those bones disintegrate into dust over hundreds and thousands of years. Be reasonable, do you think they could survive 160 million years of weathering with minerals, wind and water drainage passing over the bones and wearing them down, even if they were buried?

Darwin's theory did not consider God, it denied the Genesis account. It just doesn't harmonize in any way, because what it says is that we all evolved from a single cell originating from the water. Distorting a day into an epoch of time doesn't harmonize anything.

How Genesis would read if Theistic Evolution were true:
The first sentence would be fine, but the rest, much different. He wouldn't have used the word "day" or "night", but "ages" or 'epochs" of time instead.
Epoch #1: God created a highly condensed form of matter / forms of energy including light and caused it to explode into the surrounding space and the matter became separated and then organized into hundreds of billions of groups (vortexes of stars), each having hundreds of billions of stars with each having their own system of planets, etc.
Epoch #2: God separated the waters from the land on earth and in the heavens;
E3: He created a tiny cell in the water and breathed the life force into it and in time God made it more complex and larger leading to many different kinds of vegetation and higher forms that could think. The seas became filled with fish and in time these forms of life made their way onto land. More time passed as these selected sea/land creatures developed into land animals of various kinds populating the earth.
E4: Man appears ( 4 1/2 billion years after earth was formed and God's evolutionary process was almost finished and He named them Adam and Eve -(kind of primitive form but still, what the heck) God said it was all good!
... or something like.

Ronald commented on the meaning of “day” in post #136 and Archie said to look it up in Strong's Concordance in post #138.

From Strong's Concordance:

KJV Translation Count — Total: 2,287x

The KJV translates Strongs H3117 in the following manner: day (2,008x), time (64x), chronicles (with H1697) (37x), daily (44x), ever (18x), year (14x), continually (10x), when (10x), as (10x), while (8x), full 8 always (4x), whole (4x), alway (4x), miscellaneous (44x).

Outline of Biblical Usage [?]

1. day, time, year
    1. day (as opposed to night)

2. day (24 hour period)
      1. as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1

2. as a division of time
        1. a working day, a day's journey
    3. days, lifetime (pl.)

4. time, period (general)

5. year

6. temporal references
      1. today

2. yesterday

3. tomorrow

In other words, the meaning of the Hebrew word varies. As one might expect, a “day” can mean a literal “day” or it can be a way of referring to a historical period of time. Take this passage.

5 “See, I will send the prophet Elijah to you before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.”
--Malachi 4:5-6

Malachi refers to the “day of the Lord.” From the New Testament we know that this is the ministry of Jesus. The Gospels tell us that the coming of Elijah means the ministry of John the Baptist. In this light, the “day of the Lord” is not a day but a period of time spanning at least three years, and possibly the entire earthly life of Jesus, which took over thirty years.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What does that sound like to you ? The Biblical God !!

1. God is a Spirit He is not a Physical being ( God is a Spirit and must be worshiped in like manner )
2. God said, In the Beginning ( So the Physical had a beginning )
3. God created all matter from nothing ( God created the Heaven and the Earth )
4. God is Eternal, the bible says so in many places.

#3. According to scriptures, God didn't create the universe from nothing.
The Big Bang refutes itself. The Big Bang is based on the assumption that human imagination has the ability to understand fully the act of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The foundation of the truth is God, not specific books out of his word. The Bible is simply a recording of Gods interaction with mankind. As for Genesis, if God used evolution to create mankind then he would have recorded it as so in the Bible. God is very clear on how he created mankind. He did not leave any room for different interpretations that have no Biblical evidence. Genesis is a very straightforward book. Revelation is an example of a book that uses symbolic language, with much of it unable to be understood until the End Times. God wrote Revelation this way on purpose. Why would God write Genesis in symbolic language if he has already revealed all we need to know? Revelation and the End Times have yet to happen, with prophecies yet to be fulfilled. That is why there is so much speculation and so many different interpretations. Genesis has already happened, and the events of Genesis, Adam, Eve, and the serpent are referenced throughout the Bible as if they literally happened. Any different interpretation of Genesis different from what God recorded is more or less a false teaching. God is clear when he is using symbolic language and speaking figuratively, and when he is speaking literally.

Hammer of Witches in post #130: << Why would God write Genesis in symbolic language if he has already revealed all we need to know? >>
You seem to be doing some circular reasoning here. You are assuming that God has told us all that we want to know about Creation. It is clear that the Bible isn't a handbook of geography, astronomy, or the natural sciences.
Why would God use symbolic language? The Bible does so in many places.

So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.”

--Genesis 1:27 NIV

--the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.”

--Genesis 2:7 NIV

Unless God has a physical body, God making man (or woman) in his own image is a figure of speech, or an analogy. It isn't literal.

Unless God has a physical body, breathing the “breath of life” into the first man and first woman is a figure of speech, or an analogy. It isn't literal.

Instead of assuming that these passages are literal, it is much better to ask what they mean.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hammer of Witches in post #130: << Why would God write Genesis in symbolic language if he has already revealed all we need to know? >>
You seem to be doing some circular reasoning here. You are assuming that God has told us all that we want to know about Creation. It is clear that the Bible isn't a handbook of geography, astronomy, or the natural sciences.
Why would God use symbolic language? The Bible does so in many places.

--the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.”

--Genesis 2:7 NIV

Unless God has a physical body, God making man (or woman) in his own image is a figure of speech, or an analogy. It isn't literal.

Unless God has a physical body, breathing the “breath of life” into the first man and first woman is a figure of speech, or an analogy. It isn't literal.

Instead of assuming that these passages are literal, it is much better to ask what they mean.
Note an image doesn't have to be physical. Something can be literally true without being physical. "God is Love" and "God is a spirit" is literally true.
Images are literally the products of the mind.

Upvote 0

The Hammer of Witches

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 7, 2016
America
✟14,999.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Note an image doesn't have to be physical. Something can be literally true without being physical. "God is Love" and "God is a spirit" is literally true.
Images are literally the products of the mind.
And God makes the distinction between when he is using Imagery and telling events that actually happened/will happen.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And God makes the distinction between when he is using Imagery and telling events that actually happened/will happen.
To God there is no difference between what we would consider "imagery" and "real". Even some physicist have comment in recent years that we need to stop thinking the universe as something physical to more mental.
Even an atom is made up of 99.9999999999% space while the other .0000000001% acts extremely weird.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • day (as opposed to night)
  • day (24 hour period)
    1. as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1

2. as a division of time
      1. a working day, a day's journey

Context is key here. Yes it is used other ways but the above meanings of day is the one that the Lord intended!
In every other usage, nowhere in context of that usage does God explain exactly what a day is in detail like He does in Genesis. He identifies the light as day and darkness as night. If that wasn't enough, He goes on and says the botanicals were made on the 3rd day and the sun on the 4th. How could they survive without the sun for millions of years if a day meant and epoch of time? It's very simple, but all you guys are just clinging onto your theory of evolution, so it just must mean something else other than what is literally plain. I'm done with beating a dead horse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
“So God created man in his own image,

“--the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.” --Genesis 2:7 NIV

First of all Genesis 1:27 is a triple parallelism, a Hebrew literary feature where redundancy is used for emphasis, very common in the Proverbs. The word for created here is a very important Hebrew term used only of God and never for procreation:

The phrase, 'heaven and the earth', is a Hebrew expression meaning the universe. All we really get from this passage is that the cosmos and earth were created, 'in the beginning'. The perspective of creation week is from the surface of the earth, starting with the Spirit of God hovering over the deep (Gen. 1:2). In the chapter there are three words used for God's work in creation. The first is 'created' ('bara' H1254) a very precise term used only of God.

Create ‘bara’ (H1254) - 'This verb has profound thological significance, since it has only God as it’s subject. Only God can create in the sense implied by bara. The verb expresses the idea of creation out of nothing...(Vines Expository Dictionary)​

It is used once to describe the creation of the universe (Gen 1:1), then again to describe the creation of life (Gen 1:21). Finally, in the closing verses, it is used three times for the creation of Adam and Eve (Gen. 1:27). The word translated, 'made' (asah 6213) , has a much broader range of meaning and is used to speak of the creation of the 'firmament' (Gen 1:7), the sun, moon and stars (Gen 1:16), procreation where offspring are made 'after his/their kind' (Gen 1:25) and as a general reference to creation in it's vast array (Gen 1:31).

I am being told that I must believe in a literal interpretation of Genesis. Very well, take a look at the two verses I just quoted. These are very important since they deal with God's creation of humans.

Indeed.

God creating man “in His own image” can't be literal unless God has a physical body. If God literally created “male and female” in “His own image,” I'm not even sure what this means. What I do know is that God making people “in His own image” means that people have souls—but this isn't literal.

You are assuming that the image is a physical body, that is unwarranted from the text. Soul in that context, like when Adam became a 'living soul' is from a Hebrew word meaning breath, it simply means he became alive. That's very literal, you are making two false assumptions here and predicating your argument on them. I think you are making a mistake.

Since God is invisible, if people were literally made in the image of God, people would be invisible too.

Nonsense, just because God is invisible to us does not mean God cannot be seen:

No man has seen God at any time; the only begotten God, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him (John 1:18)

Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen (1 Timothy 1:17)
In this present darkness we can't see God and live, that doesn't mean God is by nature transparent.

And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” (Exodus 33:19, 20)
Try actually seriously considering the testimony of Scripture before you start jumping to wrong conclusions:

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. (Rom. 1:20)​

God's invisible qualities are clearly seen, there is no great paradox here. It's called natural revelation and what is invisible are God's eternal power and divine nature, intrinsic and internal characteristic but the promise of the Gospel is that we will see God face to face on the last day.

Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. (1 John 3:2)

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. (1 Cor 13: 11, 12)​

God creating man, or Adam, from dust, by breathing “into his nostrils the breath of life” sounds like reviving someone who has almost drowned, if God has a physical body. It is clear from context that this isn't what is intended. God breathes the breath of life into all animals and plants. Breathing in the breath of life is an analogy, not a literal fact.

There is no indication the breath of life came from God's lips, you are making wild inferences that sound, frankly, like off the wall sarcasm. Get serious, you are treading on sacred ground.

If two of the most important verses in the first three chapters of Genesis are not literal, why should we believe the rest of it is?

First of all there is no figurative language in Genesis to speak of, it's written as an historical narrative and the preferred way to take an historical narrative is literally. The only real guide to figurative language is a 'like' or 'as' like you have with the parables but there is no such comparison in Genesis, or the Pentateuch for that matter.

The book of Genesis is not hard to understand, you either believe it or you don't. Don't blame the text if you are not willing to do the work of understanding what it actually says.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Reactions: Smidlee
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
#3. According to scriptures, God didn't create the universe from nothing.
Okay, I really, really want to hear the rest of that. What scripture (section?) shows God using something pre-existant to create the universe?

Smidlee said:
The Big Bang refutes itself. The Big Bang is based on the assumption that human imagination has the ability to understand fully the act of God.
Please show something to reasonably believe your statement in the second sentence of this paragraph. For that matter, how does Fr. Lemaitre's idea refute itself? How is the theory self-contradictory?

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Yes God is Spirit, so he made man with a soul and spirit - both invisible! The image he is talking about is a Rational Mind, Will, Emotions. Then a special compartment in the soul is the spirit. People think they are the same but if they came be separated, they aren't. However complexly integrated. Since sin dwells in the members of your flesh which is not only your physical body but also your soul. Your personality is a range of habits. So when you are born again, cleansed of sin, the special compartment of your soul, which is your spirit becomes alive and God resides in it. Just like in the OT, God resided in the Holy of Holies behind the veil that separated it from the rest of the Temple. Jesus tore that veil when He died and made the Old Temple obsolete. Now we have a new temple, our own personal one. When you are saved, God removes that blinding veil so you can see. Then when we die, all that was purified (spirit) goes to the Lord - it's separated from the "sarx" [Strongs 4561 ... In short, flesh generally relates to unaided human effort, i.e. decisions (actions) that originate from self or are empowered by self. This is carnal ("of the flesh") and proceeds out of the untouched (unchanged) part of us – i.e. what is not transformed by God.] We lose that part of us but keep the image of God.

Literally, we are composed of 17 elements/ minerals that you can find in the dust (dirt) of the earth. The second part is symbol, it is a supernatural miracle so it's not easy to relate to it from the physical realm. It's beautiful symbolic language for us to ponder - we don't understand how He performs miracles -- We can ask Him when we get there.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
As for Genesis, if God used evolution to create mankind then he would have recorded it as so in the Bible. God is very clear on how he created mankind. He did not leave any room for different interpretations that have no Biblical evidence.
For roughly 2400 years, "Bible literalists" claimed the Earth was the center of the Universe (and did not comprehend the concepts of 'solar system', Galaxy and Universe). They cited texts like the events in the 10th chapter of Joshua and the sign shown to Hezekiah in Second Kings 20 and Isaiah 38.

Now, even the modern protege of the same "Bible Literalists" admit or face up to the reality the Earth is NOT the center of the solar system or Galaxy or Universe. Using the same argument you use to deny evolution, where did God say in the Bible, the Earth isn't the center of [fill in your choice]?

The other alternative being you still maintain the Earth is the Center, etc. Is that your position in opposition to all those who 'gave in' to science?

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, the light created by God in the first few moments (not committing to a specific time period) of the first day lit the Earth so there were 'evenings' and 'mornings'.

Which begs the question, Why did God then create the Sun and Moon on the third day? According to the explanation above, neither Sun nor Moon were needed.

I build things like that. I get the basic materials I need, assemble as much as I can until I realize I need more 'stuff'. So I go buy more 'stuff' and do some more. If I really knew what I was doing, I'd get all the stuff at once...

I presume God to be less slapdash than me.

Upvote 0