Sebring, FL
✟665,548.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't believe that the world is 4000 years old.

If the world is about 6,000 years old today then it was about 4,000 years old in New Testament times. Is that too much arithmetic for a creationist?

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟665,548.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just my personal view, but I think the creation science community and those who propagate it do more to push people away from Christianity than anything else.

Thanks!
I've been saying for some time that more people have exited Christianity because of creationism than for any other reason, except possibly for sexual morality. Creationists apparently have no idea what I am talking about.

I have heard preachers forcefully expound from the pulpit their view that there is NOTHING between militant creationism and militant atheism. Unfortunately, I have met people on CF who took that advice and became atheists, or at least agnostics. I've also talked to at least one person who escaped that fate by a miracle—with the help of God, the girl was able to become a non-creationist Christian.

Reactions: RickG
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If the world is about 6,000 years old today then it was about 4,000 years old in New Testament times. Is that too much arithmetic for a creationist?
I have been familiar with that 6,000 year concept very likely before you were born or maybe crawling around in soiled diapers. JWs taught it to me and they were predicting the end of the world in 1975 based on that chronological idea.

http://www.4jehovah.org/did-jehovahs-witness-predict-the-end-of-the-world-in-1975/

So I DEFINITELY could not have meant that I think that the world is just 4000 years old.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟665,548.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have been familiar with that 6,000 year concept very likely before you were born or maybe crawling around in soiled diapers. JWs taught it to me and they were predicting the end of the world in 1975 based on that chronological idea.

http://www.4jehovah.org/did-jehovahs-witness-predict-the-end-of-the-world-in-1975/

So I DEFINITELY could not have meant that I think that the world is just 4000 years old.

Are you one of the liberal creationists who think the world could be 10,000 years old?

You gain nothing by sounding contemptuous.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Are you one of the liberal creationists who think the world could be 10,000 years old?

You sounded contemptuous via gloating about my supposed ignorance..
I accept that the Earth can be three and a half billion years old.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here's another assumption Creationists tend to make. Since Genesis is the first book of the Bible, they assume that it is the foundation of all that follows. Genesis, and the Eden story, is foundational. They fear that if you remove the first chapter or two of Genesis, the whole structure falls.

OK, let's remove Genesis 1 to 3.
Then tell me why do Christians need a man called Jesus to die on the cross?

Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What the creationists should be looking for is not the garden, but the literal cornerstone of the Earth (Job 38:6).

The earth DOES have literal cornerstones. You are sitting on one of them.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right. All scientific theories are. The ultimate cause and purpose of our existence are outside their scope, and scientific theories make no claims about them.
They do when they assume it (naturalistic pseudo rational interpretation of historical evidence) is all there is, and they definitely do do that, in public. And in that view God can't have done anything, let alone rebellious gods.
So then there is no Creation, no serpent (or shining one), no nephilim, no Flood, no Exodus, etcetera...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There is a problem here. No verse anywhere in the Bible, from beginning to end, says anything about God removing the Garden of Eden. If God destroyed the Tree of Life and the Garden around it, the Bible doesn't mention it. If God moved it to heaven, the Bible doesn't mention that either.

Who said the Garden has been removed or destroyed? Creationist certainly does not say that. YOU are the only one I ever heard to say that.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟665,548.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You sounded contemptuous via gloating about my supposed ignorance..
I accept that the Earth can be three and a half billion years old.

Then I don't see why you are arguing with me since your belief is not that different from mine.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟665,548.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Who said the Garden has been removed or destroyed? Creationist certainly does not say that. YOU are the only one I ever heard to say that.

What do you think happened to the Garden of Eden? I haven't heard any interesting theories from you.

I first encountered the claim that the Garden of Eden had been removed from the Earth in Spalding's Treasury of Bible Stories, which I read as a child.

To further answer your question, in post #17, I gave a link to a creationist website which says that Eden was destroyed. Their answer, not mine. For the claim that Eden was destroyed in the Flood, see the last paragraph in the following link.

Link:

https://answersingenesis.org/genesis/garden-of-eden/was-the-garden-of-eden-located-in-iraq/

In post #24, I refer to a Bible commentary which suggests that Eden was removed but is being kept in heaven for the future.

In post #27, I quote the New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia. NACE reviews Jewish sources which teach that Eden is in or near heaven. This fits the theory that Eden was removed from earth by God. Oddly, NACE can't seem to find any Catholic thought on the subject.

Upvote 0