Creationism (doctrine and teaching)

What is your position on the subject of Origins

• Young Earth Creationist

• Old Earth Creationist

• Theistic Creationist (if that distinction matters to you)

• Theistic Evolutionist (strictly secondary causes)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fascinated With God

Traditional Apostolic Methodist
Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Wouldn't it be better to address what Papias actually said rather than trying to read implications into what he didn't say?
Yes, that would be much more civilized and polite.

TE's believe that God can act whenever He likes and that miracles are real. For example, the scientific evidence for the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin is overwhelming and unquestionable. How is THAT a 2ndary cause?!

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Wouldn't it be better to address what Papias actually said rather than trying to read implications into what he didn't say?

It might if he made anything other then inflammatory personal remarks. Did you want me to address his ad hominem attacks or his distortions first?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, that would be much more civilized and polite.

TE's believe that God can act whenever He likes and that miracles are real. For example, the scientific evidence for the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin is overwhelming and unquestionable. How is THAT a 2ndary cause?!

The Shroud of Turin is certainly interesting and of great antiquity, whether or not it's authentic is a matter of opinion I think. Anyway, the questions in the poll focus on God acting directly or by secondary causes, particularly natural law. There's a reason I worded the options that way, Darwinism is mutually exclusive with miracles.

There are two ways and only two ways life in general and man in particular came into being. Either God acted by creating living creature fully formed without precursors are life originated and developed over time by exclusively naturalistic means.

Exclusively secondary causes simply means God did nothing but create the naturally occurring mechanism.

Have a nice day :)
Mark

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
mark wrote:

Notice what he doesn't say, he doesn't deny that God acting directly is rejected before the evidence is considered.

Of course I don't say that - because it is false. Everyone should be looking at evidence before making any conclusion.

Theistic evolution is classic deism since God gets credit for nothing going all the way back to the Big Bang.

Again simply false. First of all, many TE's see God acting in many different ways throught history. The most obvious reason why your statement above is false is that many TE's point to John 5:17, where Jesus says "My Father is always working, to this very day" to point out that God acts in our world, including through evolution.

Here are some was that some TE's see God acting since the Big Bang:

• God performing miracles.
  • God performing the miracle of the resurrection
  • God causing the many beneficial mutations that have built our genome
  • God causing the evolutionary process itself
  • God actively directing the course of events
  • God actively upholding and causing the natural laws as per Heb 1:11
  • God creating souls for each human birth
  • God creating us each in his own image (or are you saying that God doesn't make us?)
  • and so on.
Secondary causes are simply anything God used like some law of nature and directing a naturally occurring phenomenon.

sounds like that's mark's personal made- up definition used to misportray TE's. No surprise there. See mark, what you are doing is excluding God from our world, by denying his real action in everything we see. God is not banished from our world, but instead is omnipresent, everywhere, and in control.

Theistic evolution is classic deism since God gets credit for nothing going all the way back to the Big Bang.

It's worth pointing out here that it is young earth creationism which is most similar to classic deism. In both, God creates everything at the beginning, then is inactive, with only his "natural laws" set to play out like gears.

That's the polar opposite of theistic evolution, where God is actively engaged in a continuing creative work up to and including today.

As a result, it seems that a young earth (or UCA denying) creationist calling a TE a deist is simply projecting themselves onto others.

In Christ Jesus-

Papias

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The Shroud of Turin is certainly interesting and of great antiquity, whether or not it's authentic is a matter of opinion I think.
If scientists so readily agree it is authentic then why would someone who supposedly believes in Jesus have so much reason to doubt it? I think that you are at war within yourself personally, and this dispute has nothing to do with anything outside of your own psyche. The Shroud of Turin has a preponderance of evidence to support it and the skeptics in science have all been firmly put in their place. The only reason you could have for doubting it is if your deep down inside aren't really convinced that it genuinely happened.

Anyway, the questions in the poll focus on God acting directly or by secondary causes, particularly natural law. There's a reason I worded the options that way, Darwinism is mutually exclusive with miracles.
That is like saying math is mutually exclusive of miracles. It is pure nonsense.

Your poll was intentionally deceptive because you knew that if you put the poll more plainly no TE would vote for the option "God can't preform miracles". You are just being polemic and manipulative in the wording of your poll.

There are two ways and only two ways life in general and man in particular came into being. Either God acted by creating living creature fully formed without precursors are life originated and developed over time by exclusively naturalistic means.
You mean God would never act over vast periods of time? That is what you are saying. Creationism is just an attempt to put God in a small box, because the vastness of His creation makes you feel puny and insecure.

Exclusively secondary causes simply means God did nothing but create the naturally occurring mechanism.
It is babble that no one, including me, even noticed. If you had explained it in plain terms rather than using this bizarre phrase intended to be misinterpreted by TE's, you would have gotten 0 votes for that option.

Prove me wrong. Try it again using plain English.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It might if he made anything other then inflammatory personal remarks. Did you want me to address his ad hominem attacks or his distortions first?
He said your poll was deceptive and doesn't represent TE views. Perhaps you could address that.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course I don't say that - because it is false. Everyone should be looking at evidence before making any conclusion.

That's laughable, Darwinism is predicated on naturalistic assumptions made before the evidence is even considered. Darwinian logic is based on an a priori assumption of universal common descent by exclusively naturalistic means. If you don't make the first assumption you are automatically assumed to be ignorant.

Again simply false. First of all, many TE's see God acting in many different ways throught history. The most obvious reason why your statement above is false is that many TE's point to John 5:17, where Jesus says "My Father is always working, to this very day" to point out that God acts in our world, including through evolution.

You mean they see God working except as the Creator of life.

Here are some was that some TE's see God acting since the Big Bang:

Ok, granted most TEs believe in New Testament miracles. This one is absurd even for you:
God causing the many beneficial mutations that have built our genome

God doesn't need a beneficial mutation, God created the molecular mechanisms that provide the adaptive evolution falsely attributed to copy errors and disruptions of our genome.

God causing the evolutionary process itself

Causing what to do what? Never mind, let's move on.

God actively directing the course of events

You mean like catastrophic judgments, manna from heaven, life from a dead womb and Adam from the dust of the earth?

God actively upholding and causing the natural laws as per Heb 1:11

That's not a miracle, it's providence.

God creating souls for each human birth

We are begat after our own kind, it requires no miraculous interpolation.

God creating us each in his own image (or are you saying that God doesn't make us?)

We are procreated in the image of Adam who was created in the image of God. God does have to perform a miracle when the sinner is convicted of sin, hears the gospel, believes and is born again. That is the same miracle of creation as the one in Genesis 1, since it requires direct intervention. Procreation doesn't.

sounds like that's mark's personal made- up definition used to misportray TE's. No surprise there. See mark, what you are doing is excluding God from our world, by denying his real action in everything we see. God is not banished from our world, but instead is omnipresent, everywhere, and in control.

Who are you talking to? TE's are deistic and Darwinian in their orientation. Their overt hostility toward creationists is nothing more then a compromise with the spirit of the age. Creation is essential doctrine and to deny it is to depart from the Christian faith. This doesn't 'banish' God, it honors God as Creator. To attribute to the creation what is rightfully attributed to the Creator is to deny his real action.

It's worth pointing out here that it is young earth creationism which is most similar to classic deism. In both, God creates everything at the beginning, then is inactive, with only his "natural laws" set to play out like gears.

Theistic Evolution is classic deism and you know it. The only act of creation you will accept is the original creation of the universe. Any inference of God acting in time and space is venomously and viciously denied. Creationism is a belief in God creating life by divine fiat, doing what only God can do. No self respecting deist would even entertain such a thing, much less defend it.

Theistic evolutionists on the other hand demonstrate no discernible difference between their philosophy of origins and the Darwinian. I don't know what you really believe but you cannot possible believe the nonsense you spout off with in these posts.

That's the polar opposite of theistic evolution, where God is actively engaged in a continuing creative work up to and including today.

No it's not and I've read Theistic Evolutionist literature extensively over the years. None of them affirm any such thing, they just deny creationism.

As a result, it seems that a young earth (or UCA denying) creationist calling a TE a deist is simply projecting themselves onto others.

So you finally admit that it's not about denying evolution, it's about rejecting the apriori assumption of Universal Common Descent (UCA). Now when you find the courage of your convictions you will add by exclusively naturalistic means and rightfully confess that you are the Deist condemning in Creationists what you most fear about yourself.

Mark

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That is what I see too. He is having an argument with himself, projecting the things he hates most about himself onto others and then playing out this civil war in his own psyche, with us as nothing more than props. He isn't really talking to us at all, he is only arguing with himself.

I think most Creationists think in the same fashion, but Mark is an exceptionally apparent case.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He said your poll was deceptive and doesn't represent TE views. Perhaps you could address that.

I have repeatedly. He's latest volley of trolling tactics was the absurd allegation that it's the creationist who is a Deist. The whole problem the Creationist has with Darwinian atheistic materialism is that it assumes exclusively naturalistic causes. Any inference of God acting as Creator is immediately castigated, demonized and ostracized.

I have addressed it, repeatedly, refuted it in fact.

Mark

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is like saying math is mutually exclusive of miracles. It is pure nonsense.

What it says is that Darwinian logic categorically rejects miracles.

Your poll was intentionally deceptive because you knew that if you put the poll more plainly no TE would vote for the option "God can't preform miracles". You are just being polemic and manipulative in the wording of your poll.

No, the poll was based on the definition of Darwinian evolution as, 'the apriori assumption of universal common descent by exclusively naturalistic means'. It's a categorical rejection of divine manifestations, especially in creation. Theistic evolutionists don't like to admit that they reject 'special creation' because it's regarded as mythology by secular academics and scientists.

It's deliberate alright, it's a deliberate choice between Darwinian a priori assumptions and faith.

That's all I have time for.

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have repeatedly. He's latest volley of trolling tactics was the absurd allegation that it's the creationist who is a Deist. The whole problem the Creationist has with is that it assumes exclusively naturalistic causes. Any inference of God acting as Creator is immediately castigated, demonized and ostracized.

I have addressed it, repeatedly, refuted it in fact.

Mark
By calling evolution 'Darwinian atheistic materialism' you fall again into the Creationist trap of denying God can act through natural processes, which not only goes against historical Christian theology, but puts you in the same boat as deists. Instead of seeing God working through both miracle and natural processes as TEs do, you hold on to the odd miracle but join deists in excluding God from having any role in natural processes. Instead of blustering about the comparison and calling it 'absurd' you should should deal with your departure from historical Christianity that has led you to that position.

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What it says is that Darwinian logic categorically rejects miracles.
This is just religious bigotry, not a rational argument. Papias ripped this argument apart, and you have no answer, except to bluster and continue repeating yourself like a broken record, while holding your fingers in your ears and saying, "I'm not listening! I'm not listening!"

No, the poll was based on the definition of Darwinian evolution as, 'the apriori assumption of universal common descent by exclusively naturalistic means'. It's a categorical rejection of divine manifestations, especially in creation. Theistic evolutionists don't like to admit that they reject 'special creation' because it's regarded as mythology by secular academics and scientists.
I'd have to know what 'special creation' is suppose to mean before I can have any opinion on it. But since I've never heard of it before except from you here now, I feel pretty confident that it has no connection with anything rational.

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Hypocrisy is pretending your something your not and if you are not a creationist your not a Christian.
I missed this, you know this is a violation of the rules don't you? I won't report it because that is not my style, but it is definitely against the rules.

Quoting sound Christian scholarship and relying on the clear testimony of Scripture based on the explicit meaning of 'creation', makes me the bad guy? Classic projection, condemning in others what you most fear about yourself.
I can certainly understand how you would disagree with me, but I do not see what it is you think I am afraid of, nor can I figure out what is supposedly being projected. That I'm the bad guy? I'm not the one who is obstinately telling falsehoods about the opposition. I stick to the truth.

Perhaps you'll answer the question you have tried so zealously to suppress.
How does one suppress a question? :D

Would you equivocate 'creation' from strictly secondary causes to be 'Creation' in the Nicene Creed, Hebrews 1:1, John 1:1-3 and Genesis 1?
"Secondary causes" nonsense... Where did you get that phrase from? It means absolutely nothing.

Miracles are real. Angels are real and can materially intervene. The Shroud of Turin is real. Saints who months after death smelled like roses and had incorruptible bodies are real. People who are the miraculously sole surviver after having a vision of Jesus, is real. People who hear the devil at their moment of greatest weakness (telling them to give up and drown for example) is real. The whole cosmic battle of the angels is real.

Tell me, how much of this do you truly believe in?

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
FSG wrote:
Originally Posted by mark kennedy
Hypocrisy is pretending your something your not and if you are not a creationist your not a Christian.

I missed this, you know this is a violation of the rules don't you? I won't report it because that is not my style, but it is definitely against the rules.

looks like mark is equivocating again, with the same two defintions of "creationist" .

"Creationist" is most commonly understood to mean "one who denies common descent", but it can also mean "one who believes God did the creating". That's the key to mark's equivocation.

From that, let's un-equivocate mark's post:

if you are not a creationist your not a Christian.

Let's un-equivocate that, shall we:

Under definition #1, mark's statement is FALSE:

if you are not a common descent denier your not a Christian.

Under definition #2, mark's statement is TRUE:

if you are not a a person who believes God created, even through evolution your not a Christian.

Other examples of this : http://www.christianforums.com/t7705771-2/#post61897738
http://www.christianforums.com/t7728427-7/#post62581509 (post #66)
and others have pointed that out too, such as Mrs.Lurking

That kind of a statement - "if you are not a creationist your not a Christian." implies the statement in red, while using the statement in green as a fall back for when someone points out that his statement violates the rules.

Papias

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
FSG wrote:looks like mark is equivocating again, with the same two defintions of "creationist" .

Creation is defined not by me but the use of 'bara' (Gen. 1:1, 1:21, 1:27) in the Genesis account and the requisite New Testament witness. Especially with regards to the creation of life. The creation of Adam is not a question and it's mutually exclusive with your equivocation of evolution and your naturalistic assumptions.

"Creationist" is most commonly understood to mean "one who denies common descent", but it can also mean "one who believes God did the creating". That's the key to mark's equivocation.

No, 'Creationist' means the doctrine that God 'created' ex nihilo:

Biblical scholars and theologians within the Judaeo-Christian tradition such as Augustine (354-430), John Calvin (1509–1564), John Wesley (1703–1791) and Matthew Henry (1662–1714)[14] cite Genesis 1:1 in support of the idea of Divine creation out of nothing.(Ex nihilo)​

Which is the precise meaning of 'bara' which is out of nothing, that is, without precursors.

From that, let's un-equivocate mark's post:

Let's un-equivocate that, shall we:

Which isn't a word, 'equivocation' is a logical fallacy:

Equivocation ("to call by the same name") is classified as an informal logical fallacy. It is the misleading use of a term with more than one meaning or sense (by glossing over which meaning is intended at a particular time). It generally occurs with polysemic words (words with multiple meanings).(Equivocation)​

Which is what Papias and the other evolutionists do with two definitions of evolution. The scientific meaning of 'evolution' is the, 'change of alleles (traits) in populations over time'. What Papias is doing here is calling a Creationist a, 'common descent denier' which is a fraudulent misrepresentation of what it is. Evolution is it is being used here is the 'a priori (without prior) of universal common descent by exclusively naturalistic means'. I have told him that repeatedly but he purposely equivocates, 'common descent' with 'universal common descent'. It's called Darwinism and it's a formal and categorical rejection of 'special creation':

in the Introduction to his "Hist. Nat. des Animaux sans Vertébres.' In these works he upholds the doctrine that species, including man, are descended from other species. He first did the eminent service of arousing attention to the probability of all change in the organic, as well as in the inorganic world, being the result of law, and not of miraculous interposition. (On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin)​

The equivocation fallacy here is the one Papias and all evolutionists, theistic or otherwise, use to conflate and confuse the observer. It is the, 'misleading use of a term with more than one meaning', that is the fallacy or flaw in the argument, rightfully branded 'equivocation'.

This is the term from the Scriptures I use as the basis for 'Creation' with no alternate definition implied or suggested (Strong's Number H1254 בָּרָא bara').

Under definition #1, mark's statement is FALSE:

if you are not a common descent denier your not a Christian.

Nonsense, I have said repeatedly that you must be a creationist in order to be a Christian. It is not a denial of 'common descent' it's a positive affirmation of essential Christian theism based on the Nicene Creed:

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made. (Nicene Creed)​

Papias purposely misleads with one vital omission, what is denied is 'universal common descent' and a secondary element to Darwinism which is, 'by exclusively naturalistic means'.

That is why I phrased the poll question the way I did. If the universe (Gen. 1:1) life (Gen. 1:21), and man (Gen. 1:27) were created by some naturalistic process then it's a secondary means of creation. This makes no sense when the Scriptures make it clear that these acts of creation were without precursors.

Papias knows this, he is deliberately misleading you.

Under definition #2, mark's statement is TRUE:

if you are not a a person who believes God created, even through evolution your not a Christian.

Evolution defined as what?

That kind of a statement - "if you are not a creationist your not a Christian." implies the statement in red, while using the statement in green as a fall back for when someone points out that his statement violates the rules.

Papias

My definitions are on the table...again. When forced to Papias will come up with a definition for evolution that simply means the change of alleles in populations over time. The naturalistic assumptions he is passing off as scientific are nothing more then a philosophical propositional truth that must remain self existing and self evident, aka a priori. In other words, it must be made before the empirical evidence is examined which is an an, 'a posteriori' process.

What is actually at the heart of this whole controversy is epistemology (theories of knowledge). That's why the subject matter is continually getting muddied and mired in these insatiable fallacious arguments. The atheistic materialist thinks Christians are stupid and would never be able to sort out the subtleties. They recruit Theistic Evolutionists using fallacious arguments the TE uses to attack essential Christian theism unknowingly.

Creation and Darwinism is mutually exclusive, any evolutionist can tell you that but won't. They much prefer to call it evolution but they never tell you, they have added their naturalistic assumptions as a transcendent or universal propositional truth without telling you.

It's called 'equivocation' and Papias knows this.

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What you are basically trying to say is that anyone who disagrees with your distorted interpretation must be an atheist. That is nothing but bigotry.

There is absolutely nothing in evolution that precludes God's intervention. What do you think the "Chosen Race" means other than God's intervention in the world's genetic makeup? God is a cosmic genetic engineer and intervenes in the survival or does not intervene in the perishing of individuals all the time. This is direct intervention in human genetics. God is trying to create humans more suitable to having a soul of light rather than a soul of darkness. Just as breads of dogs have a stereotypical personality and some are naturally very sweet, like weimaraners (German bird dogs), shih tzus, Pomeranians and greyhounds, while other breeds are easily turned mean. In the same way God is trying to evolve people with hearts made of clay. Whether or not one has an open heart is very much influenced by one's genetics, not just upbringing. And God pays a lot of attention to this. It is really the whole point of all He is doing.

Now you can certainly find atheistic scientists aplenty and I detest them just as much as you. So it is particularly obnoxious that you feel the need to lump me in together with them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What you are basically trying to say is that anyone who disagrees with your distorted interpretation must be an atheist. That is nothing but bigotry.

What you have just done is resorted to a fallacy. Anyone who does not surrender to this all consuming naturalistic assumption must be ignorant. It's called an ad hominem fallacy.

An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument (Ad hominem)​

If a Creationist fails to make the a priori assumption of universal common descent by exclusively naturalistic means they are automatically assumed to be ignorant. Your resort to inflammatory rhetoric tells me you have exhausted any hope of making a substantive argument. In short, yours is an argument that never happened.

There is absolutely nothing in evolution that precludes God's intervention.

Evolution defined as what exactly? You have my definition, now where are yours?

What do you think the "Chosen Race" means other than God's intervention in the world's genetic makeup?

It means, in the originally intended context, that believers are called to be a kingdom and priests to teach the Word of God to the world. Our genetic makeup we inherited from Adam including our sin and the curse that came with it. We are all one family because we have one father who's Creator was God, thus:

the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God. (Luke 3:38)​

God is a cosmic genetic engineer and intervenes in the survival or does not intervene in the perishing of individuals all the time. This is direct intervention in human genetics. God is trying to create humans more suitable to having a soul of light rather than a soul of darkness. Just as breads of dogs have a stereotypical personality and some are naturally very sweet, like weimaraners (German bird dogs), shih tzus, Pomeranians and greyhounds, while other breeds are easily turned mean. In the same way God is trying to evolve people with hearts made of clay. Whether or not one has an open heart is very much influenced by one's genetics, not just upbringing. And God pays a lot of attention to this. It is really the whole point of all He is doing.

You first resort to fallacious arguments and then after waxing inflammatory you want to pretend to be reasonable. You ignored the earlier definitions that soundly refuted Papias in no uncertain terms calling me a bigot before you said anything else.

Don't expect me to take this lightly, I've given you every opportunity to engage this discussion substantively. The next time you flame me it's not going to get a response, it's going straight to the moderators.There's really no point in responding when that's all you have to offer.

Now you can certainly find atheistic scientists aplenty and I detest them just as much as you. So it is particularly obnoxious that you feel the need to lump me in together with them.

If you detest them then stop defending their philosophy. I know Catholic theology well enough to tell you that all Catholics are creationists. Whether or not you believe that Darwinians have made their case creation, the incarnation and salvation are the same miracle, just a different context since it's God doing what only God can do. I made it crystal clear that all I intend to do is to reject the naturalistic assumptions that are essentially atheistic at it's core. Stop equivocating Darwinism with evolutionary biology and we can start a more substantive dialogue. So if you don't want 'lumped' in with them then stop attacking the doctrine of creation with their philosophy.

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What you have just done is resorted to a fallacy. Anyone who does not surrender to this all consuming naturalistic assumption must be ignorant. It's called an ad hominem fallacy.
An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument (Ad hominem)​
No. He is summarising your argument to show it is bigotry, that is different from suggesting your argument is wrong by saying you are a bigot. You really should stop crying ad hom so much and concentrate on addressing people's arguments.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
looks like mark is equivocating again, with the same two defintions of "creationist" .
Creation is defined not by me but the use of 'bara' (Gen. 1:1, 1:21, 1:27) in the Genesis account and the requisite New Testament witness. Especially with regards to the creation of life. The creation of Adam is not a question and it's mutually exclusive with your equivocation of evolution and your naturalistic assumptions.
I see you make no attempt to defend your argument against the charge of equivocation.

No, 'Creationist' means the doctrine that God 'created' ex nihilo:
Biblical scholars and theologians within the Judaeo-Christian tradition such as Augustine (354-430), John Calvin (1509–1564), [14] cite Genesis 1:1 in support of the idea of Divine creation out of nothing.(Ex nihilo)​
Which is the precise meaning of 'bara' which is out of nothing, that is, without precursors.
Oxford English dictionary:
Creationism A system or theory of creation: spec. a. The theory that God immediately creates a soul for every human being born (opposed to traducianism; b. The theory which attributes the origin of matter, the different species of animals and plants, etc., to ‘special creation’ (opposed to evolutionism).
1847 BUCH tr. Hagenbach’s Hist. Of Doctr. II. 1 The theory designated as Creationism … was now more precisely defined.
1872 LIDDON Elem. Relig. iii. 102. The other and more generally received doctrine is known as Creationism. Each soul is an immediate work of the Creator.
1880 GRAY Nat. Sc. & Rel. 89 The true issue as regards design is not between Darwinism and direct Creationism.

Creationist One who believes in or advocates creationism.
1859 DARWIN Life & Lett. II. 233 What a joke it would be if I pat you on the back when you attack some immovable creationists.
1882 FARRAR Early Chr. I. 463 The verbal controversy between Creationists..and Traducianists
Since the word Creationist does not appear before 1859 I don't know how you can claim John Wesley (1703–1791) and Matthew Henry (1662–1714) were Creationists, let alone Calvin and Augustine.

And just because Wesley, Henry, Calvin and Augustine believed Genesis 1:1 describes ex nihilo creation, it does not mean they limited God's work of creation to ex nihilo, or that they thought bara meant ex nihilo creation (in fact Matthew Henry and Augustine weren't even Hebrew scholars.)

Which isn't a word, 'equivocation' is a logical fallacy:
Equivocation ("to call by the same name") is classified as an informal logical fallacy. It is the misleading use of a term with more than one meaning or sense (by glossing over which meaning is intended at a particular time). It generally occurs with polysemic words (words with multiple meanings).(Equivocation)​
Which is what Papias and the other evolutionists do with two definitions of evolution. The scientific meaning of 'evolution' is the, 'change of alleles (traits) in populations over time'. What Papias is doing here is calling a Creationist a, 'common descent denier' which is a fraudulent misrepresentation of what it is. Evolution is it is being used here is the 'a priori (without prior) of universal common descent by exclusively naturalistic means'. I have told him that repeatedly but he purposely equivocates, 'common descent' with 'universal common descent'. It's called Darwinism and it's a formal and categorical rejection of 'special creation':
in the Introduction to his "Hist. Nat. des Animaux sans Vertébres.' In these works he upholds the doctrine that species, including man, are descended from other species. He first did the eminent service of arousing attention to the probability of all change in the organic, as well as in the inorganic world, being the result of law, and not of miraculous interposition. (On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin)​
The equivocation fallacy here is the one Papias and all evolutionists, theistic or otherwise, use to conflate and confuse the observer. It is the, 'misleading use of a term with more than one meaning', that is the fallacy or flaw in the argument, rightfully branded 'equivocation'.
In science the term evolution covers the definition of evolution "The change in allele frequency..." (which you mislabel the scientific meaning), the theory of evolution, how genetic changes are selected and passed on, or the whole field of research into the evolutionary history of life on earth. Just because some creationists accept Darwin's natural selection and see it as the change in allele frequency as long as it is confined to changes within kinds (which they cannot define or identify), they are still evolution deniers when they deny the rest of we have learned about evolution.

This is the term from the Scriptures I use as the basis for 'Creation' with no alternate definition implied or suggested (Strong's Number H1254 בָּרָא bara').
Oddly enough neither the Outline of biblical Usage (from BDB) nor the Gesenius' Lexicon say bara is always ex nihilo or even mention ex nihilo.

Nonsense, I have said repeatedly that you must be a creationist in order to be a Christian. It is not a denial of 'common descent' it's a positive affirmation of essential Christian theism based on the Nicene Creed:
We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made. (Nicene Creed)​
Papias purposely misleads with one vital omission, what is denied is 'universal common descent' and a secondary element to Darwinism which is, 'by exclusively naturalistic means'.
You are still conflating a denial of #common descent with belief in Creation. The Nicene Creed say nothing about how God made everything, it never denies God can use natural processes. In fact the denial of God's operation through providence is a concept so foreign to historical Christian theology it was never even mentioned in the historical creeds. Adding in a denial of common descent isn't the doctrine of Creation, it is Creationism, a doctrine that only arose in the Nineteenth Century.

That is why I phrased the poll question the way I did. If the universe (Gen. 1:1) life (Gen. 1:21), and man (Gen. 1:27) were created by some naturalistic process then it's a secondary means of creation. This makes no sense when the Scriptures make it clear that these acts of creation were without precursors.

Papias knows this, he is deliberately misleading you.
How is the creation of man 'without precursor' when Genesis 2 describes God forming Adam from a precursor, dust?

Upvote 0