West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
vossler said:
As the Fijian has so accurately demonstrated and already implied, one must be an intellectual in order to understand biblical truths. This proves the point I've been trying to make all along.
As you have missed the point, and several people have tried to point out to you, not every thing in scripture is "clear". Are we saved by works or are we saved by faith? Answer the question. What's the "clear"meaning here? Are we allowed to engage our intellect on this issue?

You think your "clear" interpretation is te only permissible interpretation, unbridled arrogance abounds.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
What you're forgetting is that Genesis was written for us so that we might understand it.

is Genesis addressed to you?
take the metaphor of a love letter if you like.
Scripture is like a love letter from God to the believer:

what is the envelope?
what is the contents of the letter?
is the envelope addressed to you?

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
theFijian said:
Are we saved by works or are we saved by faith? Answer the question. What's the "clear"meaning here? Are we allowed to engage our intellect on this issue?
Since this isn't the topic of this thread and you haven't provided a Scripture reference for me comment on, I'm not going down some bunny trail to satisfy your curiosity and derail this thread. If you really want to know, start a new thread and I'll answer it there.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
vossler said:
Since this isn't the topic of this thread and you haven't provided a Scripture reference for me comment on, I'm not going down some bunny trail to satisfy your curiosity and derail this thread. If you really want to know, start a new thread and I'll answer it there.
From the OP:
the vast majority of us wouldn't even think twice about Creation being exactly what the Bible says it is. That's right, six twenty-four hour days and that's it, nothing more is required
Your assertion in several places has been that the plain reading of the Bible is all that is required for us to belueve in a YEC model. This is not off topic, you were the one who raised the issue of the "plain meaning" being the correct interpretation.

Since you are surprisingly unfamiliar with the texts I was referencing let me acquaint you with them:

Rom 3:28 - "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law." ie. by faith not by works

James 2:24 - "You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone." ie. by works and not by faith alone

So our justification, exactly as the Bible says it is, is by faith at one point, then by works and not by faith alone at another point. So two plain meanings contradict each other. Since we can't go past the plain meaning of the text looks like you've just disproved the Bible. Well done. Your position is overly simplistic at best; arrogant and theologically dangerous at worst.

Editted to add: from the OP
vossler said:
Yet scientists in their 'infinite' wisdom choose to go where man has no need to go by developing and promoting theories to explain how everything came about.
Wrong. Adam was commanded to fill the earth and subdue it. To subdue something you must first understand it. Without all these scientists in their "wisdom" we would understand a lot less about the world than we do now. You owe them one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.