• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Covering scars all the time?

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I recently moved in with my grandmother and she has asked about the SI scars on my forearm twice. I DON'T want to tell her how they got there. She is the kind of person who would not understand - she'd probably say you're crazy/why would you do that/that's stupid/why would you want to make yourself look uglier.

Well... the last time I felt like I had to hurt myself I cut on my leg instead, but that doesn't solve the problem.

What should I do? I really don't want to tell her that I've cut myself. But how to cover scars all the time, in the summer? I only have 2 or 3 long sleeve shirts I can bear to wear in the summer. I have tried to just keep my forearms out of her sight but she sees them anyway when I do things for her like hand her a glass of water! I don't really want to wear makeup on my arms all day every day! Ideas? What should I do?

pillywiggin

Jul 8, 2014
New Mexico
✟15,129.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If the scars aren't too high up, you might try thick bracelets, but covering the scars now really isn't going to help. Your grandmother knows they are there, whether she sees them or not. I know you don't want to tell her that you cut yourself, but maybe that is the best thing that you could do. You can't live your life trying to hide what you've done in the past; it is exhausting. You can't change that you have scars, but you can accept them. It is much harder to stop or resist doing si when you hate yourself.

Your grandmother might be more supportive than you think. She might already know, and be looking for a way to initiate a conversation to show you that she supports you and loves you.

The opposite may be true as well. When I told my mother about my si and ed, her only comment was, "You know better than that." It was tough to take, but from then on I knew that I was not going to receive any support or assistance in dealing with these issues from her. I didn't have to keep guessing and hoping that she would support me or help me find therapy--I knew I would have to find my support and assistance from others.

I know this is a wishy-washy answer, and not very helpful, but I am praying for you to overcome this.

Reactions: graciesings
Upvote 0

chrisstavrous

Mar 2, 2014
Melbourne
✟485.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I recently moved in with my grandmother and she has asked about the SI scars on my forearm twice. I DON'T want to tell her how they got there. She is the kind of person who would not understand - she'd probably say you're crazy/why would you do that/that's stupid/why would you want to make yourself look uglier.

Well... the last time I felt like I had to hurt myself I cut on my leg instead, but that doesn't solve the problem.

What should I do? I really don't want to tell her that I've cut myself. But how to cover scars all the time, in the summer? I only have 2 or 3 long sleeve shirts I can bear to wear in the summer. I have tried to just keep my forearms out of her sight but she sees them anyway when I do things for her like hand her a glass of water! I don't really want to wear makeup on my arms all day every day! Ideas? What should I do?
Accept your got scars.

Upvote 0