1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Costco tags the Bible as Fiction

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Vanilla Scripture, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Vanilla Scripture

Vanilla Scripture New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Costco -- the Bible is fiction

By Todd Starnes
    Todd's American Dispatch
    Published November 18, 2013FoxNews.com

[​IMG]

2. Standing_Ultraviolet

Standing_Ultraviolet I told you to run so we'd both be free

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Humanist
    On the one hand, if this were intentional, it wouldn't be the best thing to do. It would be a pretty snide joke, actually. On the other, I really doubt that this was the fault of someone high up in the company. It was probably either an honest mistake, or a prank from someone working in the factory that somehow slipped past.

3. Marius27

Marius27 Newbie

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Messianic
    Or it just refers to the fact that the Bible contains stories that are to some degree fictional, not literal history. Doesn't mean the whole thing is.

4. HorsieJuice

HorsieJuice Guest

Or it could well be a prank by a customer - notice that the "fiction" sticker is sitting on top of another sticker.

5. ewells36

ewells36 Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Have we, as Christians, gotten to the point where we have made the Bible to be an idol among us. Instead of focusing on its message, we somehow have got to the point where people get offended by human error/mistake. Everything is a "persecution" against us Christians. We can no longer chalk this up to the fact that humans are infallible, NO! Someone at Costco is out to get all of us. We must protest this store with signs such as: Costco hates Christians, Costco calls Bible fake, God hates Costco.

Rise up brothers and sisters! Rise up and lets march to every Costco in your own area to let them know that we will not stand by and watch them mock our Bible - NO! They indeed must be protested for this shows their true nature towards us Christians. They hate us, they hate our words, they hate God.

Stop buying their groceries. Stop going there. Come one and come all - grab your Costco card and cut it up for the Lord! Rise up with us brothers and sisters and lets take this battle, a holy battle, to Costco to show them we wont back down....we never back down for we are Christians. Join with us. Join with the "religious right" to fight this battle. Contact the ACLJ. Contact Jay Sekulow. Contact your Congressman/woman, your Senator to let them know about the atrocities that are going on over at Costco.

The above comments were meant to be a parody - any details to anyone alive has been greatly exaggerated and shown to be false - this is only a test - also, if you cannot find humor within this post, may Christ lighten your heart so that you may have joy :)

Jacob4Jesus likes this.
  6. sword_of_truth

sword_of_truth Regular Member

Faith:
    Christian
    "Welcome to Costco...we love you"

7. Vanilla Scripture

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I've shopped Costco. It's not unusual to find price tags covering one another in the event of a sale, or in some cases the stock person simply stamped a product twice with the pricing gun.

I'd hope it was an error on the part of a stock person. Otherwise, if it was malicious or Costco itself has made the determination, it is in poor taste.

Where we live now there is no local Costco. Has anyone ventured to their local Costco to see if the Bibles are labeled in this manner?

8. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    Will this change how you view the Bible?

9. abysmul

abysmul Board Game Hobbyist

Marital Status:
    Engaged
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Great post!!! :p:clap::thumbsup:

10. Glass*Soul

Glass*Soul Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Atheist
    What category choices does Costco have for book price labels? If there isn't one specifically for religious texts, then whatever the person doing the labeling chooses is going to be wrong on some level or offensive to someone.

11. Ave Maria

Ave Maria Ave Maria Gratia Plena

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I really don't think that this is something to get all offended over. As others said, it may have just been a labeling mistake or something. But regardless, there are far worse things in the world to get offended about.

12. KitKatMatt

KitKatMatt stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    I donated some books to a local consignment shop, and today when I went in I saw that they had placed Sam Harris' "The End of Faith" in with the Christian inspirational materials. I wonder if that would make anyone mad? :p I think it was honest mistake.

I don't see how the label is offensive. I don't really see the humor in it (how many times has my friend moved Bibles in Barnes and Nobles to the "mythology" section? It's only funny the first time, we've all heard the joke about a million times...), but I don't really care if it was a mistake or intentional.

It's just a sticker. It's not hindering your faith or my faith. It's not destroying the book so that no one else can read the word.

13. Archivist

Archivist Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Lutheran
  14. gamewell45

gamewell45 Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Church
    Costco is entitled to their opinion; likewise we are not required to agree with them.

15. Dusky Mouse

Dusky Mouse Cats Are In Charge ~ Accept It!

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Charismatic
  16. Maren

Maren Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Seeker
    I'm curious, has anyone in a Costco anywhere else found the Bible labeled as fiction? The lack of reports of this in other Costco, especially in the Bible belt areas, leads me to believe that this really was a mistake on the part of the one distributor. I'm sure if the Costco's in Texas and other Bible Belt areas had Bibles labeled as fiction, we'd be hearing those reports.

17. Vanilla Scripture

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Unfortunately, Maren appears to ignore my post else her question would not be necessary for the article linked has answered it.
    The distributor accepted responsibility for labeling the Bibles they sent to Costco.