USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
This morning I was thinking about the difference between Corrie Ten Boom and the average Christian today, which I am assuming is represented on CF.

Corrie spent 6 months in a Nazi concentration camps in which she had little food. No medical care, was covered in fleas. In spite of that they had to work 11 hour days in brutal cold. The physical, mental, and emotional torture she endured is tough to even think about, yet she did not spend the remainder of her life a victim of depression, anxiety or, "PTSD". In spite of all she went through, she didn't refer to herself a victim. She did not complain. She had no need of Prozac or Zoloft. No counseling. No support groups. I had to ask what that was, and knowing of here story, the answer was obvious. Corrie turned to Christ, rather than self-pity, in her suffering.

Corrie turned to Christ in her suffering. She drew close to Him, and her peace, both during and after her experience was evident.

Unfortunately, I don't see much, if any, counsel given to Christians who have been through some pain or suffering which would help produce any other Corrie Ten Boom. I see self-pity being encouraged. I see perpetual victimhood being celebrated. I see pills being popped, but I don't see very much Godly counsel directing sinners and saints back toward the Savior.

Everyone seems to have a syndrome or dysfunction which many times is caused by far, far less than what Corrie endured. If anyone could have walked around with a label attached to her, it would have been Corrie, but she wore no label other than Christ.

Victory, not victimhood, is found in Christ. May we trust Him in our suffering.

Last edited:

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This morning I was thinking about the difference between Corrie Ten Boom and the average Christian today, which I am assuming is represented on CF.

Corrie spent 6 months in a Nazi concentration camps in which she had little food. No medical care, was covered in fleas. In spite of that they had to work 11 hour days in brutal cold. The physical, mental, and emotional torture she endured is tough to even think about, yet she did not spend the remainder of her life with "PTSD". She didn't refer to herself a victim. She did not complain. She had no need for Prozac or Zoloft. No counseling. No support groups. I had to ask what that was, and knowing of here story, the answer was obvious. Corrie turned to Christ, rather than from Him, in her suffering.

Corrie turned to Christ in her suffering. She drew close to Him, and her peace, both during and after her experience was evident.

Unfortunately, I don't see much, if any, counsel given to Christians who have been through some pain or suffering which would help produce any other Corrie Ten Boom. I see self-pity being encouraged. I see perpetual victimhood being celebrated. I see pills being popped, but I don't see very much Godly counsel directing sinners and saints back toward the Savior.

Everyone seems to have a syndrome or dysfunction which many times is caused by far, far less than what Corrie endured. If anyone could have walked around with a label attached to her, it would have been Corrie, but she wore no label other than Christ.

Victory, not victimhood, is found in Christ. May we trust Him in our suffering.

There was also lice, and inexplicable humiliation, and in addition excruciating grief as she witnessed her frail sister waste away and die.

In spite of it all she did not experience PTSD. God worked powerfully in her heart and mind. Here below is a key to her healing and sanity.

What she also was gifted with is extraordinary compassion for the hurting, wounded, traumatized, devastated, shut down, and those mourning and grief-stricken and inconsolable.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There was also lice, and inexplicable humiliation, and in addition excruciating grief as she witnessed her frail sister waste away and die.

In spite of it all she did not experience PTSD. God worked powerfully in her heart and mind. Here below is a key to her healing and sanity.

What she also was gifted with is extraordinary compassion for the hurting, wounded, traumatized, devastated, shut down, and those mourning and grief-stricken and inconsolable.

Yes. Unimaginable suffering of watching her sister die on top of all else, but she didn't wallow in victimhood, and that's what puts her in sharp contrast to many today.

The video that you posted holds part of the reason for this. She forgave, and forgot not what a great debt she was forgiven of.

Perpetual victimhood is a prison, and the key which opens the door is forgiveness.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes. Unimaginable suffering of watching her sister die on top of all else, but she didn't wallow in victimhood, and that's what puts her in sharp contrast to many today.

She recognized that she needed forgiveness herself.

And in thus doing so, through God's grace and strength, she was able to forgive herself, and others.

When you say "victimhood", are you referring to "self pity"?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
She recognized that she needed forgiveness herself.

And in thus doing so, through God's grace and strength, she was able to forgive herself, and others.

When you say "victimhood", are you referring to "self pity"?

Yes. I mean self-pity, but more. It's most insidious form is that which attaches a lifelong label to oneself.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faithfulness-Corrie-ten-Boom-700x465.jpg

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Perpetual victimhood is a prison, and the key which opens the door is forgiveness.

Yes. the "key". Reminds me of God shining His Light into the darkest of places and freeing the one bound in that darkness:

k3694875.jpg

Upvote 0