Cops get new tool to steal with in Oklahoma.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's obscene. You're right, civil forfeiture is loosely based on ancient superstition anyway, at least that's how it was justified originally. It was stupid and immoral then, it's even worse now.

Reactions: aieyiamfu
Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Who Sprinkled You With Grumpy Dust?
Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Test state I'd say. They're doing this, it's becoming public in the media, and the rest of the country and their executive branches are watching for the push back.
Eventually , probably in the next span of a generation, forty years, we'll be at a point where we will excel beyond what the old USSR had in practice.
A fascist police state. And the Democrats will help in that direction.

Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Seize their money... ok.

Look suspiciously at their guns... watch out!
No kidding! Or, ask them why they're stealing your money and end up with a few thousand volts cascading through your body.
And if you have quite a bit of assets to steal, after you're taken into custody it happens to be reported that you just couldn't take confinement! So you suicided in your cell.
This way you can't show up in court and fight to get all that property back.

Blue! For your protection.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They are talking about pre-paid cards, which honestly they should just seize if they think it is suppitous and check them back at the station.

But I am worried this reader could just take your credit or debit card and take money out of my account. just from a scan...

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Test state I'd say. They're doing this, it's becoming public in the media, and the rest of the country and their executive branches are watching for the push back.
Eventually , probably in the next span of a generation, forty years, we'll be at a point where we will excel beyond what the old USSR had in practice.

Are you sure the democrats are behind this?

*cough* Ronald Reagan *cough* Strom Thurmond *cough* Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984 *cough*

*ahem*

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They are talking about pre-paid cards, which honestly they should just seize if they think it is suppitous and check them back at the station.

Remember that with forfeiture it's "guilty until proven innocent". Who's going to pay a lawyer a large sum to try and retrieve a relatively small sum? Makes no financial sense for the victim, makes great business sense for law enforcement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Remember that with forfeiture it's "guilty until proven innocent". Who's going to pay a lawyer a large sum to try and retrieve a relatively small sum? Makes no financial sense for the victim, makes great business sense for law enforcement.

Good point.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And the Democrats will help in that direction.

I don't know if I'd use this to promote one party over the other in that regard...they're both lousy in terms of doing anything about the issue.

Let us not forget, it was a Democrat, presiding over the liberal gold standard of NYC who came up with the grand idea of Stop & Frisk.

California has the highest number of people killed by police of any state. (and LA has always had an issue with Police Misconduct)

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Remember that with forfeiture it's "guilty until proven innocent"

Civil asset forfeiture is used in order to stack the deck in favor of the prosecution in cases where the state doesn't think they can win in court fair and square.

It goes a little something like this:

The State: "We think this guy's a powerful drug dealer, but there will still be some public doubt...that guy's got a lot of money and his high priced attorney is really good and we don't think our DA can beat him in court...BUT...our DA can certainly beat the public defender in court, so if we take all of that guy's money ahead of time, he won't be able to afford the retainer for that high priced lawyer he has and he'll be forced to use sub-par legal representation"

Reactions: aieyiamfu
Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A
The Republicans are also a huge help, it was W. after all that gave us the Orwellian named and themed "patriot act".

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
A

The Republicans are also a huge help, it was W. after all that gave us the Orwellian named and themed "patriot act".
He's also the one that expanded the government contrary to what it means to be Republican. I.E. less government.
The Democrats are no better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blondepudding

Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married

*cough* Ronald Reagan *cough* Strom Thurmond *cough* Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984 *cough*

*ahem*
Sounds like TB. :(

A great book that is so good someone can read it in a day is by Ben Kinchlow and entitled,
Black Yellowdogs:The Most Dangerous Citizen Is Not Armed, But Uninformed

For far too long Democrats have been thought to be the best thing that ever happened to the black community especially. And for those opposed to the ideology of the Republican or, Grand Old Party, it seemed like the best option for a better America. Nothing could be further from the actual truth. So worth the read and for anyone who delves into American politics it is a real eye opener. Especially if you're black.

It puts BLM into perspective long before they came into the picture on the American landscape. And it also does the same thing to the pejorative, white privilege.America is a country where everyone has the privilege of being free! And able to pursue any dream they have to fruition. All they have to do is put in the work. And stop playing and being played as the victim.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Civil asset forfeiture is used in order to stack the deck in favor of the prosecution in cases where the state doesn't think they can win in court fair and square.

It goes a little something like this:

The State: "We think this guy's a powerful drug dealer, but there will still be some public doubt...that guy's got a lot of money and his high priced attorney is really good and we don't think our DA can beat him in court...BUT...our DA can certainly beat the public defender in court, so if we take all of that guy's money ahead of time, he won't be able to afford the retainer for that high priced lawyer he has and he'll be forced to use sub-par legal representation"
Yeah it is like that, but it is also used purely out of greed - to steal the money or valuables. I'm not a lawyer but I actually won an appeal of a forfeiture for someone once. To show you how devious they can be, the facts were like this: in a small town, the cops were tipped off that a guy was in possession of a small amount of cocaine. They knew he had a small packet in the sweatband of his cap. The cops knew he was in this bar, but instead of going in and arresting him, they waited outside for a couple of hours until he left, driving away in the brand new pickup truck he'd just bought. So they nabbed him driving away, and claimed he was using the truck to possess the coke, and so forfeited the truck. Obviously, he was already in possession of the coke, he didn't "use" the truck to facilitate possession, but that was actually their position. And while the case was on appeal they would taunt the guy, various sheriff's deputies would drive his truck by his home and workplace taunting him like children "na na, we got your truck, ha ha". Pretty disgusting.

Another horrible thing about forfeiture is it often results in having to try and prove a negative, which mathematicians and logicians will tell you can't be done. Imagine I grab your wallet from you, then say "this is mine now, unless you can prove you didn't obtain this money illegally". Well you could show me pay stubs from a job, or show me receipts from selling stuff honestly, but I'll just say "that proves you got some money legally, it doesn't prove you got this money legally". It's really absurd.

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like TB. :(

A great book that is so good someone can read it in a day is by Ben Kinchlow and entitled,
Black Yellowdogs:The Most Dangerous Citizen Is Not Armed, But Uninformed

For far too long Democrats have been thought to be the best thing that ever happened to the black community especially. And for those opposed to the ideology of the Republican or, Grand Old Party, it seemed like the best option for a better America. Nothing could be further from the actual truth. So worth the read and for anyone who delves into American politics it is a real eye opener. Especially if you're black.

It puts BLM into perspective long before they came into the picture on the American landscape. And it also does the same thing to the pejorative, white privilege.America is a country where everyone has the privilege of being free! And able to pursue any dream they have to fruition. All they have to do is put in the work. And stop playing and being played as the victim.

Wait. Did you just change the subject? LOL

Upvote 0