• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Coping with illness

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Diet can yield results but each person is so different and finding a combination or healthy foods that actually help is difficult and takes a great deal of effort to find what works and even then it requires monitoring...it is a lot of work and sticking to the basics of what is considered healthy diet and the amount of work and money that can go into trying to find a silver bullet may negate the advantages. A clinical dietician is most likely the best bet if that road is chosen.

On another note...I get the feeling you had a run in idiot minority that thinks they can diagnose "us" with just a look. An old unsaved friend use to say to me to "not let the (blank) get you down". Probably not the most appropriate or wise thing I've repeated but you must remember that ppl are either controlled by the enemy or the Lord...they, not you, are in a scary place.

DO NOT DESPAIR! HE IS WITH YOU ALWAYS UNTO THE END OF THE AGE.

Reactions: Colleen1
Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Colleen,
Have you checked into the diets developed by Ellen G. White of the Seventh Day Adventists. I'm not of that denomination but I've heard of some very good results from her dietary plan to lessen medical conditions. She was very sick in her youth but gained strength and health through eating the right foods as an adult and lived to about 90.
It's worth a look.
God Bless you,
Todd

I haven't tried this diet; not a believer in diets. Believe in healthy balanced eating / moderation and certain foods and vitamins do help but not diet helps. A doc I saw at the pain clinic had me try a 'no' histamine diet for pain; it did nothing but make me gain weight. There are a few foods that if I exclude them I feel better as well. One is aspartame and refined sugar. and eating constant bits of protein throughout the day helps. I don't tend to eat a lot of meat so I have to purposefully work at that all the time but I eat nuts, cheese, beans. Use to have some soy stuff but the company changed it and now I can't eat it (like veggie dogs) annoyed :argh:

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
LOL!!! .... "I get the feeling you had a run in idiot minority..." Not just yet but was sensing I soon would. The thing is I've been under a great deal of stress the last 2 days and my health has already taken a nose dive. My heart has felt really tired (bit worried). so stress is not the greatest thing for this. But there always seems to be at least one who is quick to associate any stress with being the cause of illness especially something like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. So I wanted to kind of nip it in the butt if you know what I mean. I always appreciate chatting with you guys.

Upvote 0

Todd Grace

The best carpentry and specialty building around
Nov 21, 2010
The Beach
✟7,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't tried this diet; not a believer in diets. Believe in healthy balanced eating / moderation and certain foods and vitamins do help but not diet helps. A doc I saw at the pain clinic had me try a 'no' histamine diet for pain; it did nothing but make me gain weight. There are a few foods that if I exclude them I feel better as well. One is aspartame and refined sugar. and eating constant bits of protein throughout the day helps. I don't tend to eat a lot of meat so I have to purposefully work at that all the time but I eat nuts, cheese, beans. Use to have some soy stuff but the company changed it and now I can't eat it (like veggie dogs) annoyed :argh:

I shouldn't have used the word diet. I meant diet as in what a person consumes. You are headed in the correct path avoiding things like aspartame. That is the type of thing she promoted. She lived in the late 1800's and much of what she talked about, like to much salt was later born out to be correct. I don't really have any food issues other than restricting fat intake. No fried foods what so ever. You get the idea though and it sounds like you found some things that help or things to avoid. I have real bad siatica which sometimes wakes me groaning in the middle of the night. Sometimes My whole leg will hurt so bad I have to walk around the house or down the street at night. Sitting upright is bad on the hip. When I'm moving and working you'd never know but when I get home and try and get a good night sleep it's rough. That's my story and I'm rambling. Hope all have a good low pain weekend.
In Christ, Todd
P.S. It looks like we're getting a movie deal for my wife's book series. Exciting stuff. I'll give some details when we sign the deal.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I shouldn't have used the word diet. I meant diet as in what a person consumes. You are headed in the correct path avoiding things like aspartame. That is the type of thing she promoted. She lived in the late 1800's and much of what she talked about, like to much salt was later born out to be correct. I don't really have any food issues other than restricting fat intake. No fried foods what so ever. You get the idea though and it sounds like you found some things that help or things to avoid. I have real bad siatica which sometimes wakes me groaning in the middle of the night. Sometimes My whole leg will hurt so bad I have to walk around the house or down the street at night. Sitting upright is bad on the hip. When I'm moving and working you'd never know but when I get home and try and get a good night sleep it's rough. That's my story and I'm rambling. Hope all have a good low pain weekend.
In Christ, Todd
P.S. It looks like we're getting a movie deal for my wife's book series. Exciting stuff. I'll give some details when we sign the deal.

Yeah, not easy. I experience something similar to siatica and it's not fun. I have lots of referred pain and certain type of this can be similar to siatica. I agree with you about food. The other thing I avoid is transfat. Real cheese has transfat. Except cottage cheese but yeah. It would be helpful for me to lose weight not easy with very little activity. I have to eat bare minimum or even less than I should and that's part of the problem because it's easy to gain back. It's just slower going for me I guess. Just part of the way things are. Food is one thing that can make a difference.

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
yea, the protein bit is real important. Trying to balance things other than meat for protein is tough and here's why: Protein is made up of 21 amino acids. If you are missing on amino acid it is called a limiting factor and thus your body will not make protein for you with out all 21 being in place...thats why being a vegan is so difficult.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
yea, the protein bit is real important. Trying to balance things other than meat for protein is tough and here's why: Protein is made up of 21 amino acids. If you are missing on amino acid it is called a limiting factor and thus your body will not make protein for you with out all 21 being in place...thats why being a vegan is so difficult.

I hear you. My problem is I eat meat and don't mind it but out of all the cooking chores it's the most time consuming. It's one of my finicky ways though. If my energy is at it's 'normal' level I pre-prepare food ahead and have it on hand including meat. But when I'm so very exhausted like I've been lately this doesn't happen and I'm eating quick bites of fruit, protein, cereal, bread, etc. When I'm this fatigued it's next to impossible to keep up with any kind of routine like this. This is the first real thing (CF) I've done today. This is the first time today I could get up for any length of time. I've had trouble just lifting my head up today. Been sleeping and laying down all day. Actually, I'm laying down now as I type. Health gets pretty bad with any physical / stress thing out of the ordinary. Takes lots of energy to deal with stuff. Until we're ill we don't realize the amount of energy it takes to do even the simple things. I have no choice but to rest now but because of my humungous month yet ahead my goal whether I like it or not is rest. Next prepared food (meat) and then stuff like laundry. Ya know priorities. It is what it is. At least now accommodations to my health problems are well on there way to being worked out with some of the impossible tasks I need to do this month. Feel very relieved about this. :)

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
man...I hit rock bottom, again, with the whole subject of "fellowship". I have been a misfit my whole life and church is no exception...I really just want to through in the towel the to say the hell with it. I need prayers for my attitude but I am just so tired of trying to fit it...just sick of how cold the church has become...sorry...very low and feeling very alone.

Upvote 0

Todd Grace

Nov 21, 2010
The Beach
✟7,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry Pumanator. Sounds like you need a lift. I'm traveling or I would have seen this sooner. I hope today finds you in better spirits.
Like any social group church " friends" are like any other group. Sometimes they're not what they should be or what you expect.
As my semi-famous uncle says: Don't worry things won't get better.
Ha Ha hope you got that.
Todd Grace

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
man...I hit rock bottom, again, with the whole subject of "fellowship". I have been a misfit my whole life and church is no exception...I really just want to through in the towel the to say the hell with it. I need prayers for my attitude but I am just so tired of trying to fit it...just sick of how cold the church has become...sorry...very low and feeling very alone.

No need to be sorry. I hear you and empathize. I've been there before and ... truthfully, I'm there again. You continue to be in my prayers. And feel free to post any time at all. When someone suffers from pain and illness like we do, dealing with all sorts of added things can become quite a burden. I don't mind listening or chatting at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
...fired up the home PT routine and its tough. Holidays are hard and work started the school yr out with more unpleasant changes. Just felt a little cornered fighting the hoards of life with one hand tied behind my back with a sword in the other too heavy to lift let alone swing ah but there I go again waxing poetic. Oh the longing for Home in The Far Country.

Mr. Meagie

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
...fired up the home PT routine and its tough. Holidays are hard and work started the school yr out with more unpleasant changes. Just felt a little cornered fighting the hoards of life with one hand tied behind my back with a sword in the other too heavy to lift let alone swing ah but there I go again waxing poetic. Oh the longing for Home in The Far Country.

Mr. Meagie

Yes, the longing... I understand what you're are saying. The one hand tied behind your back and the sword too heavy to lift or swing. Feeling the same way now. Just got back from a medical trip and met a couple nice professionals, got some possible treatment started and then.... :doh::doh::doh:....it's amazing what damage one or two bad apples in the bunch can do. I left this appointment in tears completely shattered. Yeah, I'm admitting the tears fellows. Wasn't an experience I care to remember. I'm feeling rather discouraged and left with more stuff on my plate because this stuff needs to be resolved. This is not what I needed. I can't imagine the responsibilities you have. I respect you for just holding the sword never mind the attempts at swinging it. It seems like everything is such a struggle. Getting physio. therapy shouldn't be such a struggle. It feels like with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome it's such a struggle to be acknowledged and understood never mind getting any real help.

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
my son has had to change surgeons because of the straight lack of giving a tinkers...well, you know and the frustration that comes from dealing with so many people who are just in it for the money. Lay it at His feet and take a deep breath...it really is all we can do.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
my son has had to change surgeons because of the straight lack of giving a tinkers...well, you know and the frustration that comes from dealing with so many people who are just in it for the money. Lay it at His feet and take a deep breath...it really is all we can do.

Boy do I hear you! Afraid I'm dealing with many of these attitudes as well. I will continue to pray for you and your family. I imagine it can't be easy especially when your child's health is involved. Glad you stopped in with the update. ...and yes, I'm close to being at the place where there is not much I can do but lay it all down at God's feet. I hope these two new avenues of direction offer some resources and support for me. Makes a difference when the health care providers care and are people persons. Last week I dealt with two different extremes. Not fun. At least it wasn't all bad. Hopefully your son will find some peace and comfort during this time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:wave: Good morning everyone. I'm getting lots of rest and relaxing which is greatly needed.
277833-albums3697-32418t.gif
Not ready to juggle all the chores on my plate but tomorrow is another day.
277833-albums3697-34576t.gif
I hope everyone is doing well. You continue to be in my prayers and I don't mind listening. Take care.
277833-albums3697-34577t.gif

Upvote 0

Todd Grace

Nov 21, 2010
The Beach
✟7,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like what I'd like to be doing. Relaxing. Not yet though I've much work to do and that's a good thing. The old leg is numb from time to time which means the paychecks will keep coming.
We're supposed to get a contract this week for the movie.
Hope all is as well as can be.
The first cold front is sweeping down but alas not as far as Florida. Another month.
In Yeshua, Todd

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like what I'd like to be doing. Relaxing. Not yet though I've much work to do and that's a good thing. The old leg is numb from time to time which means the paychecks will keep coming.
We're supposed to get a contract this week for the movie.
Hope all is as well as can be.
The first cold front is sweeping down but alas not as far as Florida. Another month.
In Yeshua, Todd

Glad to hear work has been good. Glad the movie process is moving along. Must be exciting. Hope the cold weather isn't bothering you too much. It makes a difference for myself. Heat has been out at my place and it always makes my pain level more severe. Hopefully the weather won't affect your work too much either. I will continue to pray. Take care.

Upvote 0

Todd Grace

Nov 21, 2010
The Beach
✟7,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At one point in 2009, work dried up completely and I got my Life, Health, and Annuity License. I interviewed with Humana in Knoxville , TN and was offered the job. 2 years earlier we had bought an acre and a half on the Emory River in Kingston, TN.
We were going to sell the FL home and move and build on the Emory River. It was beautiful and had 400 plus ft. of waterfront. In Dec. of 2008 there was a coal ash spill at the electric plant about 3 miles south of us on the Clinch river. They sent a letter saying they had to dam up part of the river and if my house flooded they would be responsible. I didn't have a house on the property so I didn't think much of it.
Back to 2009 after the interview with Humana, I went to the lot to tag trees for removeal so I could begin building. After walking the property I went to my neighor
to ask for help. A man from the TVA was there talking to him and asked if I owned that lot. I said yes. It turns out the coal ash is stored on our side of the river and my property was in the direct impact zone. My dream lot was now green but covered with coal ash slurry from the retention area that gave loose.
1. I didn't know how toxic the stuff was. [to build on]
2. My area and property was now stignitized by the spill
3. Resale value if I needed or wanted to sell.
4. The river could take up to 10 years to clean
5. There is more but you see the situation.
The TVA wanted to buy my out. THere offer was low but you would also get 25% damages. We fought with the TVA for months and were able to get about 25K more.
We sold it for 2 1/2 what we paid in 2006. A fair deal.
We are back in FL reinvested the profit in a waterfront Gulf home, built 2 docks a lift and bought a nice boat. The rest in the bank and we are renting our other home for income. Things worked out well. Lisa's releasing 2 more books shortly, the Third in the Angel Series which will be a movie franchise. The other an adult history mystery called " The 15th Star' which I think would make a great movie.
I'm struggling with my hip and knee which is long over due to be replaced but I'm hopful these deals will pop before I do. That's the complete update.
If you Google Emory River Coal Ash Spill you'll see how bad it was.
Weird how things work out?
Love to all through Yeshua our Lord

Upvote 0