Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you so much. I remember helping to build our church by hand...as we had services across the street in a community hall. I was baptized by immersion in front of the congregation at age 12...something that I can't even explain to my Catholic brothers and sisters or my Catholic family. I remember my youth group, Chi Rho and becoming a server. I remember how much I benefited from Bible Study and Sunday School.

Ironically, the Church that I have belonged to for 18 years, Saint Ignatius Loyola, in Manhattan is right next to a DoC Church- Park Avenue Christian!!

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Welcome,

All who love Jesus and want to talk about Him are welcome. Mind if I ask why you converted?

I'm new to this fellowship. I don't want to disrupt anything in this congregation. I would be willing to talk about it in a group that would convey the love of Christ..it is a personal testimony and not an attempt to draw anyone to or from the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't mind hearing your reasons. I'd think it would be ok as long as we didn't enter into an argument of theology...

The only RM people I've known to convert to Catholicism did so because of marriage...the other family insisted on it for their blessing. It's certainly a dramatic change in theology.

Upvote 0

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Protinus :wave:

Converting to Catholicism must have been quite a culture shock at first. I've been working in a Catholic College for a few years now and it took me quite a while to gain any sort of an understanding of the Catholic church.

It was bizarre the way it all turned out. I wasn't even looking for a job when they rang me and asked me to help out for a few weeks. The catch - I wasn't to talk about my beliefs to the students. I was nearly ready to walk... but I felt God wanted me there, even if it didn't make any sense to me.

Now, several years later, the school gets me to share my testimony with all the senior students and teach religion to the juniors. What's more, I'm responsible for the pastoral care of the middle school students. Funny how it's worked out. Most people away from the situation thinks it's crazy - a non-Catholic Christian working in a Catholic school, teaching Catholics about religion??? Hmmm.... BUT the fruits have been amazing. God's really at work here. I guess He knows best after all ;)

Peace and blessings to you Protinus.

Please feel free to drop by at any time. I'd also welcome any PM's about our mixed experiences.

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Isn't it wonderful when you can see God working in your life to bring people to a full knowledge of their Lord and Savior?

yes it is! I have been trying to ruminate on these wonderful examples of kindness and requests for fellowship. I am withdrawn only in the sense that as a former Protestant, and then converting to the Catholicism...I do not want to offend anyone. But this is not what Christ urged us to do, to commune and provide a beacon to others as He would provide.

I'm checking in to provide witness but I am respectful of the congregation here...as I am respectful of the congregation in the church that I grew up in when I visit my home in Kentucky.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums