Convert me.

Anthony316

Mar 8, 2012
✟7,627.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hey all, I've come here with an open-mind and a few questions. If anyone can answer them satisfactorily, I would have no reason not to be converted.

1. Every religion claims to be the one true religion, even between denominations of Christianity, so how, out of those teeming masses, do I know which one is the right religion?

2. God is all-powerful, yes? He is said to be the creator of everything in the universe. So, simple question, could God (the Christian one) create a rock that was so heavy, even he could not move it?

If he were all powerful, he could lift it, but then he wouldn't be making a rock he can't lift. If he couldn't make a rock he can't lift, he couldn't be all powerful...and wouldn't be a god.

If he couldn't lift the rock...then he's not all powerful either.

It seems to me, either way he couldn't be all-powerful and exist as people say he does.

3. Why cannot God best the devil, especially if God is all powerful?

4. Who created God? Who created God's creator, and so forth? Who created the devil?

5. What is the point of prayer? God has a plan, yes? So if you pray for something not in the plan, you wouldn't get it anyway and there's no point praying. If you pray for something in the plan, you would get it whether you prayed or not. So what is the point in praying?

Feel free to answer any number of questions you want, they are all equally valid questions holding me back from being Christian.

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
OK, Why am I in this handbasket?
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
flowers51.jpg

Atheist = No God
You've answered your own questions.
Welcome to the forum.

Be well,
SAS

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Chilaha

Aug 28, 2011
✟18,986.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi Anthony and welcome to Christian Forums.
Well, I'm not the best at answering these kinds of questions but I can definitely answer number four.

4. No one created God. God has ALWAYS existed and will continue to exist. As for who created the Devil. God created the Devil. The Devil, AKA Satin, was created by God as an angel. But, he decided to go away from God and become evil. It was not for Gods intention that Satin would become the Devil.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey all, I've come here with an open-mind and a few questions. If anyone can answer them satisfactorily, I would have no reason not to be converted.

1. Every religion claims to be the one true religion, even between denominations of Christianity, so how, out of those teeming masses, do I know which one is the right religion? [Perhaps you can ask God to teach you; also, consider that most religions do not have a Savior like the Lord Jesus; and you might start reading the Bible (John 3 and John 14) and God may reveal Himself to you by conviction in your soul;]

2. God is all-powerful, yes? He is said to be the creator of everything in the universe. So, simple question, could God (the Christian one) create a rock that was so heavy, even he could not move it? [One thing is for sure: we should never challenge God or speak against Him; and since He is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent He can do ANYTHING, so don't speculate about God.[

If he were all powerful, he could lift it, but then he wouldn't be making a rock he can't lift. If he couldn't make a rock he can't lift, he couldn't be all powerful...and wouldn't be a god.

It seems to me, either way he couldn't be all-powerful and exist as people say he does. [Again, be careful about challenging the Creator-God]

3. Why cannot God best the devil, especially if God is all powerful? [If you knew the Bible you would know He can and will "best" the devil at the designated time. He is not going to do it when one thinks He should]

4. Who created God? Who created God's creator, and so forth? Who created the devil? [Jehoval-God is "alpha and omega -the beginning and the ending", and He says He is the "ever self-existing One" so one needs to leave that alone, since God tells us only what He wants us to know. Read Hebrews 11:6).]

5. What is the point of prayer? God has a plan, yes? So if you pray for something not in the plan, you wouldn't get it anyway and there's no point praying. If you pray for something in the plan, you would get it whether you prayed or not. So what is the point in praying? [Again, one needs to be reverent toward God, and He will not respond to challenges, but to faith, as He said; also, He will not grant any demands, but only according to His will and His Word. A soul needs to bow to the Creator, not presume to be condescending toward the Creator.]

Feel free to answer any number of questions you want, they are all equally valid questions holding me back from being Christian.

You seems to be on the wrong ground in speaking of our Creator. One needs to be humble and sincere. I suggest you first read John 3:16 and verse 36, also 1 Jn. 5:10-13, and then humbly ask God to teach you and save your soul before you leave this world. There is no salvation for our soul outside of God's beloved Son, the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God.

Upvote 0

Anthony316

Mar 8, 2012
✟7,627.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your reply, 1watchman.
I appreciate the effort you put into your answers, but I'm afraid they bring forth further questions.

1. How will reading the bible help me know which version of Christianity to join? They're all about different interpretations, right? I don't want to make the wrong choice and condemn myself to an eternity of suffering when my chance of getting the one true religion right is roughly 1/2000.

2. You actually didn't answer the question...you just told me to be careful about questioning God. If he is what people say he is, shouldn't he be able to answer all my questions and more? Where is the harm in questioning something if that something can prove to be true? Otherwise, we promote a culture of fear and ignorance.

3. If the devil is making everything suffer, why would God delay in besting him? I mean, God is all-powerful and could even go back in time so that no one would ever have to suffer! He can see all the future and every possibility anyways as part of being all-powerful.

4 and 5. You just seem to be promoting a culture of ignorance again...maybe this was not your intention, but it's what's happening. And you forgot to mention where the devil came from. Is there a specific part of the bible I should be reading about where it says God made him?

6. Reading more of the bible...I wonder, are we all interbred? Genesis seems to be about Adam and Eve being the only humans...which means their children would interbred. I don't feel comfortable about being told I'm interbred like this.

Can I not humbly question things? With no doubt, there can be no faith, after all.

Upvote 0

LittleDaughter

In love with Jesus :3
Feb 29, 2012
✟7,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome Anthony,

Praying that your questions will be answered and your doubts quelled ;) Be secure in knowing that you aren't the first to ask them and that the answers to them were already written in stone and the hearts of men thousands of years ago.

Have faith and persevere towards the truth,

~LittleDaughter

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I will attempt to try to answer your questions, but, my experience tells me that once these questions have been answered to your satisfaction by some really smart people here (not me) then you may just present more questions. I hope I am wrong.

1. I think first, you will have to find out all you can about Jesus. Then one can have a better understanding in tracking down the 'religion' He founded.

2. As far as God 'moving' or 'lifting' a rock... if God chose to make a rock so heavy He couldn't lift it...He could, and, if He chose to lift it... He could.

3. God has already 'bested' the devil according to the Bible. Just waiting for the end.

4. According to the Bible, God always was. He did create a great angel who later turned against Him.

5. Since God knows what we wish before we ask, I think it best to ask what would be best for us. God loves to suprise His children.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

OK, I'll believe you actually mean this.

1. Every religion claims to be the one true religion, even between denominations of Christianity, so how, out of those teeming masses, do I know which one is the right religion?

I am not an expert on world religions, but one thing I do understand is that every other religion I know of besides Christianity is based upon mans effort to reach/please God/whatever. Christianity is unique in that it is God's effort to reach us and lift us up by His own power to be pleasing to Him. If God is truly God, He is perfect; so attempting through our own efforts to be good enough for Him to accept is futile.

As for different denominations of Christianity, there are only a few major differences in claimed doctrine... most denominations were divided over minor details that have no real bearing on salvation. Today, many denominations are moving away from Biblical faith, though... I would say accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour, and then study the Scripture yourself and decide where you would feel at home.

2. God is all-powerful, yes? He is said to be the creator of everything in the universe. So, simple question, could God (the Christian one) create a rock that was so heavy, even he could not move it?

God is omnipotent, which means He is infinite in strength (among other things). You are asking, in essence, "What is infinity + 1?" The answer is infinity.

God has defeated the devil. God allows Satan to exist. A day is coming when the Devil will be cast into hell for eternity, but that day is yet future.

4. Who created God? Who created God's creator, and so forth? Who created the devil?

Creation is a beginning, and thus makes sense only in time. Without time, there are no beginnings. God stands outside time, therefore has no beginning or ending. He simply is.

God created the devil.

5. What is the point of prayer? God has a plan, yes? So if you pray for something not in the plan, you wouldn't get it anyway and there's no point praying. If you pray for something in the plan, you would get it whether you prayed or not. So what is the point in praying?

The point of prayer is to humbly come into God's pressence, to communicate with Him and have Him communicate with you. God's desire is that our will would become more in line with His will, but He will not force us... He loves us tremendously, and respects our freedom to choose so that we might come to love Him in truth. A being incapable of exercising it's own will could never express real love... that being would be nothing more than a doll that speaks "I love you" when you pull the string. When beings like us express our love for God, it means something.

Hope these answers helped.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

If you do not spend time on any one, then you don't.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Every religion that has been around long enough have sects. Jews have them, Muslims have them, Buddhists have them. Christianity is not unique in that way.

Most Christian denominations agree more than they disagree. All denominations believe that Jesus is the only way to Heaven.

All denominations are not equal, however. Most of them will claim to believe in the Bible, but not all of them do. Most of them will misinterpret the Bible or conveniently ignore certain parts to fit their own biases. If you study the Bible yourself and greet each sermon with a healthy dose of skepticism, you can tell the difference.

As for why I believe in Christianity rather than another religion, there are many reasons for that. For instance, did you know that countless prophecies were made about Jesus a minimum of just over two hundred years before He was born?

Prophecy tells us that He would be of the line of David, that He would be called "Mighty God," that He would enter the temple before its destruction, that He would be sold for thirty pieces of silver, that He would die for the iniquity (short-comings/sins) of the world, that He would be persecuted like a lamb for slaughter, that He would be raised to life on the third day, etc..

Here's a sample of these prophecies:

Isaiah 9:6 - For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 53 - Who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by mankind,
a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to our own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was punished.

He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.

Yet it was the LORD’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the LORD makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.
After he has suffered,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.
Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,

and he will divide the spoils with the strong,

because he poured out his life unto death,
and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors.

Notice the many references to Jesus' life in this Old Testament chapter. Because of His suffering, He'll heal us of our iniquities. But He will rise again after death. He will be persecuted like a criminal, yet He will stay silent instead of offering a defense.

It also says that He will have a rich man's grave. In fact, after Jesus was buried, Joseph of Arimathea had Jesus' body moved to a more elegant tomb.

It seems to me, either way he couldn't be all-powerful and exist as people say he does.

Questions like these will quickly lose our interest. Yes, God is all-powerful. That means He has power over everything. That is why a rock cannot exist that He can't lift.

He can, He has, and He will continue to do so. God and Satan are not equal powers. Satan and the demons fear God. Seeing Jesus pass by is enough to make legions of them tremble. There is an appointed time for their destruction, after God has no more use for them.

God created Satan. Nobody created God. God existed before anything else, as only He could.

Time cannot begin with any of us, because we are always changing. If God were like us, it would be impossible to pick a starting point. But God is not like us. He never changes. He doesn't live in time, but He sees everything from start to finish. The only logical starting point is to begin with God and nothing else.

God has a plan, yes, but that plan includes your prayer. It's true that God cannot change His mind, but He may make a decision on our account even though He would like to do otherwise, because He does care about us.

An example of this is when God said He would destroy the Hebrews for their disobedience, but Moses begged that God would have mercy on them and He relented. Some say point to this and say that God changed His mind, but God knew ahead of time what Moses' request would be, and Moses was not so smart that He could say something that God didn't already know. God spoke His intention, knowing Moses would respond, and because of His love for Moses He could justify holding back.

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I can philosophise and answer those points, but in my heart I feel a shame and guilt at being religious, and so do not really want to evangelise.

Regarding those questions. If you assumed the "right attitude" you could probably answer many, at least to some degree of satisfaction, yourself. Don't tell me you're new to this debate scene.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Reason" has nothing to do with "conversion." Desire to know and love God should be your driving force. If you reason your self into a relationship, you will also reason yourself out of it eventually.
Never the less I will do my best to answer your questions anyway.

You must first understand the mean of Religion. Religion is man's attempt to reach out and worship God. Because "religion" is all based in man's flawed efforts none, even the "different efforts of christianity" are "correct."

That said only The Church, The Bride of Christ, The Body of Believers as Christ identified, (The religious effort God made to reach out to man) that christianity is centered around, is the only way to the God of the bible.

2. God is all-powerful, yes? He is said to be the creator of everything in the universe.
"All Powerful God" is not a term used in the bible. It is a religious term christians sometimes use to shorten or to make the descriptions of God the bible does use, easier to understand. Again Christianity if Flawed God is not.

So, simple question, could God (the Christian one) create a rock that was so heavy, even he could not move it?
In light of my previous statement this identifies your question as a "Fallacy of logic" More specifically You have committed the fallacy of begging the question.

(The fallacy of petitio principii, or "begging the question", is committed "when a proposition which requires proof is assumed without proof", or more generally denotes when an assumption is used, "in some form of the very proposition to be proved, as a premise from which to deduce it".[4] Thus, insofar as petitio principii refers to arguing for a conclusion that has already been assumed in the premise, this fallacy consists of "begging" the listener to accept the "question" (proposition) before the labor of logic is undertaken.
-Paul Hendrick Wiki)

Your answer anyway:
Answer: This question is frequently asked by skeptics of God, the Bible, Christianity, etc. If God can create a rock that He cannot lift, then God is not omnipotent. If God cannot create a rock so heavy that He cannot lift it, then God is not omnipotent. According to this argument, omnipotence is self-contradictory. Therefore, God cannot be omnipotent. So, the question, could God create a rock so heavy He could not lift it? The quick answer is "No." But the explanation is far more important to understand than the answer...

This question is based on a popular misunderstanding about the definitions of words like "almighty" or "omnipotent." These terms do not mean that God can do anything. Rather, they describe the amount of God's power. Power is the ability to effect change - to make something happen. God (being unlimited) has unlimited power, and the Bible affirms this (
Job 11:7-11, 37:23; 2 Corinthians 6:18; Revelation 4:8; etc.). Therefore, God can do whatever is possible to be done. God cannot, however, do that which is actually impossible. This is because true impossibility is not based on the amount of power one has, it is based on what is really possible. The truly impossible is not made possible by adding more power. Therefore, unless context indicates otherwise (e.g. Matthew 19:26 where man's ability is being shown in contrast to God's), impossibility means the same thing whether or not God is involved.

So, the first part of the question is based on a false idea - that God being almighty means that He can do anything. In fact, the Bible itself lists things God cannot do - like lie or deny Himself (
Hebrews 6:18; 2 Timothy 2:13; Titus 1:2). The reason He cannot do these things is because of His nature and the nature of reality itself. God cannot do what is not actually possible to be done, like creating a two-sided triangle, or a married bachelor. Just because words can be strung together this way does not make the impossible possible - these things are contradictions, they are truly impossible in reality. Now, what about this rock? A rock would have to be infinitely large to defeat an infinite amount of lifting power. But an infinite rock is a contradiction since material objects cannot be infinite. Only God is infinite. There cannot be two infinites. So the question is actually asking if God can make a contradiction - which He cannot.
(Gotquestions.org)

Why would God want to defeat the devil? The Devil serves God. Read the book of Job.

4. Who created God? Who created God's creator, and so forth?
Why do you assume God exists in linear time as we do? (Meaning time flows in one direction; Past, present future)

The fact that it can be said God is eternal suggests that God lives outside of liner time. If He is not bound by our keep of time then He would not need a creator. Because He would simply exist in all of eternity past the present and eternity future.

Who created the devil?
The devil was originally one of God's best angels.
So to were all of the demons. So God created them.

5. What is the point of prayer?
To Help you change your will to match God's plan for your life.

God has a plan, yes?
Yes

So if you pray for something not in the plan, you wouldn't get it anyway and there's no point praying. If you pray for something in the plan, you would get it whether you prayed or not. So what is the point in praying?
Praying is not some sort of christian wishing ceremony where things you want are forced into God's plan. True prayer as Jesus taught it is to help the believer obtain the bare necessities until He can accept God's plan for his life.

That was easier than expected, welcome to christianity!!!:clap:

Upvote 0

FromTheDarknessToTheLight

Never give up hope.
Dec 31, 2011
Montgomery, IL.
✟15,246.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I used to be a theist, this is my testimony, God came to me, not I to Him. Or shall I say I cried out to him many times and cursed him for my seemingly terrible life. He must have either got sick of me complaining and just wanted to toy with me or he had compassion and wanted to show me His son since His son is the only way to salvation. I struggle with my faith, I am very confused about why God did this, not to mention I also went through some other miracles that were very unpleasant, and terrifying. This being one of them. Choose to believe what you will, but please read below what happened to me and know it opened my eyes to the one and only true God, and his son Jesus Christ. I had posted this on this forum in the testimony section, but I'll post it here for you to see.

"This is a pretty interesting story I'd like to share with those who are interested, how God turned an theist into a Christian believer, here is how I realized the existence of the one and only true God.

I'd also like to add that I was seeking God for quite a while before this vision, "Where are you God, where are you?" Asking Him if he even exists I would cry out to God asking him why things are so hard for me, I suffered a lot of abuse, and as a result suffered some form of brain damage, and as a result it makes life almost impossible to enjoy. I asked him if He got pleasure out of watching me squirm, and where is He when I need Him? I told God he was cruel and that he didn't care many times and I guess even now I still think that way. I'm trying to get closer to God and Christ now, but it seems so difficult.

After you read my "vision" I don't know if it could be called a vision as I was wide awake and conscious experiencing this, but please tell me your interpretation of what had happened to me. God also filled my head with strange thoughts, some of which confuse me into wondering why God would do that, he filled my head with the thought of my mother's head was buried by the bucket/faucet by the school, which confuses me as to why God would go that far. Many many strange and disturbing thoughts that God forced into my head until God released his wrath upon me. Here's what happened below.

God, being angry at me for my life of sin and also not believing in the one and only true God, showed me his wrath. My goodness, how scary this experience was. I was filled with a terror unlike any other, and I just couldn't explain what it was. I thought I was going to die from fear and terror alone. This fear lasted about half an hour If I remember correctly.

It started while I was in my room, I was watching a show called King Of The Hill a comedy cartoon not really strong on Christianity, but it is mentioned quite a few times during the series, and one of the characters, Luanne , was doing a Christian puppet show for children, and during her story with her puppets, the puppets were in a bad situation and Luanne said "Who wants to live in a world without God?" and then said to the puppets, "God does care, and he will show it!" As soon as she said that my body was filled with terror unlike anything I have ever known. Like God was squeezing me.

I walked out of my bedroom and sat for a bit in the living room, trying to understand what was going on. My grandmother told me she saw a child alone near the elementary school right near our house, and even though I was nearly dying out of fear, I decided to check it out. I didn't tell her what was happening to me, but I'm sure she noticed I was acting pretty odd for the time this was going on. That "child" near the school wall made me think it was actually a demon, waiting to drag me down to hell.

Now at this point I was feeling much pity for myself, and feeling pretty sorry for myself at this point because I wasn't sure what I did wrong to deserve this, or if this was even God doing it. I was confused. Right before I was about to leave the house to see if it was a young child alone out there, which I really didn't think it was, I heard on the TV a woman say, look at him! He's feeling sorry for himself! The audience in the background laughed. Which is exactly how I was feeling, like the television was mocking me. Coincidence? I don't think so. God sure does work in mysterious ways.

So I leave the house and walk on down across the field, to the school, and this child was nothing more than a bucket, and the bucket had a hole in it on the back and a faucet-like thing was poking out from inside the bucket hole. Must of been a faucet that was connected to the school wall, and a bucket connected to it for whatever reason. It looked like crimson liquid was dripping out from the bucket, not much, almost like blood. Here, I was at the height of the dread, and I walked back home, God, it seemed like such a long walk even though I didn't walk far, must of been from the dread, I was trembling.

My neighbor, Flow, had a beautiful setup on her lawn, the 3 wise men, Mary and Joseph, and Jesus in his manger. I felt like I had to go up there, so instead of heading back into the house, I walked up near where this manger setup was, and said, here I am, an unwelcome guest, forgive me. I walked up to Jesus's manger, I got on my knees, and begged for help, to help take this horrible dread away from me, when that didn't work, I got up, and walked away towards my house.

I turned around and I said to Jesus, I want to call you Lord. Immediately the dread and terror I was feeling was lifted from my body, I felt none of the dread I felt before. So, let me tell you my friends, I sure do believe in God now. I wonder if God did this out of love or if he just hates me and wanted me to suffer. I'm still confused and I can't figure out why God did this. Please help me understand."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ernst Junger

Feb 19, 2012
✟512.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

I think the idea that there is an arcane combination of words that is going to knock you off your chair and leave you blind for three days is ridiculous. Apologetics is a fine past time for a believer so he is comfortable that his beliefs are logical lytenable, but they are neither meant to be nor are they effective as means of evangelization.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

I don't think we have to reject every other religion in total. I see Jesus as showing us God in a personal way, but I don't reject other religions as having some insight, and as responses to God. However I think we can sort of rank them.

I think most people see polytheism of the most literal kind as an early stage where people naively see the powers of nature divine, but without really having met the actual controlling power. Even in India, the tendency is to see a unifying divinity underneath the gods.

Buddhism is different, in that although to some extent the form is polytheistic, it is ultimately a philosophy. I'm not sure it's a bad one. There are some similarities with Jesus' teachings. Buddha may well have experienced God. He didn't experience Jesus, but would surely have admired him.

As you probably know, the major monotheistic religions basically worship the same God. I think Jesus is an advance over Judaism and Islam in that it shows us another stage in God's plan beyond what you see in the Hebrew Bible. But I don't reject Judaism, nor think that God has rejected the Jews. Islam is kind of odd, in that its founding is later than Christianity but the religion seems less advanced. It's missing Jesus' peculiar emphasis on grace, God going after people even when they reject him. To my way of thinking the Arab tribes did need something more; Mohammed realized much of what it was; but he doesn't even seem to have understood what Christianity was about. (The references to it seem confused.) So I think he ended up with something kind of at the level of Judaism, though less sophisticated.

To my way of thinking, the initial question is non-sense, i.e. words that literally don't mean anything. The wording of the question implicitly assumes that there's a limit on what God can do. "a rock so heavy that he can't lift it" implicitly assumes a limit to what God can lift. Translate it into math: "let X be the limit of rocks God can lift. Can he create a rock heavier than X?" But what if there is no such limit.

On the other hand, there are two more serious points to be made. One is that the whole "omnipotent", "omnipresent", etc, business is more from philosophy than from the Bible. The Bible sees God as a lot more similar to us, interacting with people and caring about them. He is powerful enough to do what he needs to do, but that's not quite the same things as saying that every proposition about him is true.

The other point is that God seems to have intentionally restricted what he does. In some sense God makes things he can't lift all the time, since he has given humans real, although limited, autonomy.

Of course many of the things you hear about the devil are more folk tale than Biblical. But if you want to know why God can't defeat evil, the official answer is that he can and he will. However he has chosen for reasons of his own the create a world with real dangers, where actions (and failures to act) have real consequences, and that results in having evil around for the moment.

The only answer that makes sense to me is that God exists necessarily. Why does anything exist? If God isn't the ultimate, why the particular laws of physics, or whatever is the ultimate basis of existence? I guess it could be "turtles all the way down", but I think most people assume that at some point when we look at the causal chain, we come to something that is "just there," and doesn't depend upon anything else. My hope – and it's really a matter of esthetics and nothing else – is that the ultimate explanation will turn out to be so simple that there's no real alternative. If anything is going to exist, this has to exist.

The question is, what is the ultimate thing? Is it personal or impersonal? Or is it something that developed personality. If the ultimate is infinite, as I suspect, then it has an infinite amount of time to develop. If matter on earth can self-organize to form life in a few billion years, it seems quite reasonable to expect an infinitely old system power enough to generate universes to have developed personality. So developing something like personality isn't unreasonable. And given the rather odd properties of infinity, that's likely to mean that even though personality can be thought of as developing, there was actually no time when it wasn't personal.

But this is all speculation. We're so far from understanding ultimate truth that I don't think we can say what kind of thing it is. Believing in a personal God doesn't come from this kind of speculation, but from interactions between something that seems to be personal and humanity.

God certainly knows what we need. In my opinion prayer is for us. There's a difference in personal implications if God reads our minds or if he asks us to talk to him.

Upvote 0

TheWorriedOne

Dec 7, 2011
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I came across this this morning and I would like to help by saying this, the only logical reason for life is God. Think way back to like the beginnings of the universe there was nothing. What created the rocks that supposedly caused "The Big Bang"? They didn't just show up. Or what created the air we are breathing? Something more powerful had to create the first thing living or non-living. So the only answer is there is a self-existent God. There that knocks Athiesim and Agnosticism out of the way so now we come down to the question who is God which is confusing with all the other false religions of the world. Well the Christian God is God, like people on here previously said many prophecies made long before Jesus' time were full filled in the Bible. Did you know Jesus' bones were never found? That's because he rose again on the third day. God loves all of us very much and is just waiting on us to come to him. Now you can't necessarily create your faith in God that is God given also. What you really need to do to start your relationship with him is come to him and just tell him you want a relationship with him and pray for him to guide you.

Upvote 0
D

dbcsf

I have a question for you. What are you currently doing to take care of your spiritual needs? Is it working for you?

If it is, stick with it.

If it isn't, try Christianity. We do not have answers to all our questions. Mostly we have a relationship with Jesus, and that works for us.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, you would find a reason. You can always reject "satisfactorily" no matter what we say. On a broader issue, I don't care if you get "converted" or not. You need to find your reason to be converted.

You don't "know". You believe that what you believe is correct. What's more, there may not be one correct religion. I suggest you read Harvey Cox and his book "In My Father's House".

Strawman. Scripture says that God is very powerful. People have taken that as "all-powerful" or omnipotent. The riddle you posted is one I often use when people say that God is "omnipotent" as a refutation of that position. God only need to be "powerful enough" to do what is attributed to Him.

Or the human doctrine of omnipotence is flawed. :)

Free will. Humans (and Satan) get to choose.

We don't know the origin of God. Not important. Do we know the origin of the Big Bang? Does that make a difference that we know the Big Bang happened? Of course not.

What's the point in having a conversation with people? You seem to have the idea of prayer and what I call a "Vending Machine god". Put in your prayer coin and get what you want. "Dear Lord, buy me a Mercedes Benz" to quote Janis Joplin. Prayer is to ask for guidance, courage, emotional support, and emotional strength. Not to get material things or "the best job". People who report personal experience of God report that God leads their life in ways that they never would have chosen on their own.

Upvote 0