Eternal pilgrim
Jan 15, 2013
Paris (France)
✟7,671.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
It's not really a conversion but I returned to my catholic faith. I dwelled upon protestant claims and it shook my faith for quite a while, then I spent some time considering other paths like buddhism and even materialism and atheism.
But God never forsake me... a few days ago I went to confession, eucharistic adoration and the mass. It's good to be home !

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am in the process. (Pray that I don't decide converting is too huge a thing and try to please my Baptist friends!)

It is an amazing story so far, though. God called me to Catholicism a few months ago and I couldn't believe it. Now that I've looked at the theology with a more open mind and prayed for understanding, I can definitely believe it. God really has grown me a lot in the last few months. I feel His spirit with me. I'm happier, I guess I know where I stand. :)

It is bittersweet, though. If I can find the courage to be honest and fearless and brave and ignore that way the people I love dislike Catholics, I'll be fine. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,239,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm a revert to Catholicism – as of today, to be exact![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] I was born and raised Catholic. Over the last couple of weeks
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I felt this rather random inclination to go back, and once it
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]became apparent that this inclination (at some points more
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]like a 'craving') wasn't going away anytime soon, I bit the
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]bullet, met with the priest this morning and boom! Catholic. :)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I might not be a very good Catholic; I have acquired some
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]spiritual views over the years that I'll probably always have,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]but still ... I'm delighted to be back. :clap:
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]-[/FONT]

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

I don't consider myself a convert, nor am I a revert.

I was baptized in the Presbyterian Church as an infant, the sole reason being that it wasn't Catholic. My mother hated the Roman Catholic Church because of its conservative views and what-not (despite all of my grandparents on both sides being faithful Catholics.)

My Polish grandmother took me to RC mass in secret when I was little. She taught me about Jesus, how to pray, and planted within me a deep love for the Catholic Church and a devotion to Our Lady and her rosary.

When I was 11, I confronted my mother with my intent to join the Catholic Church. We fought and fought over it. She didn't let me, but I kept going to mass (making my dad drive me.) When I was 13, my parents' divorced, and my mom cited one of the reasons being my dad supporting my decision to become Catholic.

Discouraged, I went to my friend's Eastern Orthodox Church at 15. I converted, but promised myself that I would join the Catholic Church when I got to college. This was easiest because, in my mom's words, "it isn't Catholic." I left the EOC twice. Both times, I merely dropped out for months at a time and thought "this might be a good time to experience new Churches." I went to the Episcopal Church, where I had my first real experience with liberal Christianity. It is also at this point that I made my CF account. Intrigued, I soon found liberal Protestantism not to be for me.

Once I got to college at 19, I was Orthodox as one can be, but I joined the Roman Catholic club because I wanted Christian friends. More and more I came to see that the Lord was guiding me this entire time. I had one foot out the door in the EOC for the last two years, so leaving was easy for me. I sent Father a letter, got a few concerned calls and emails, and that was it. On February 9, 2014 I made my solemn profession of faith at our campus mass with my family present. I have the total support of my mother not only in my embracing Catholicism, but in my celibate lifestyle and vocational discernment. Everything worked out. :)

I am now going to mass as often as I can, am very active in the Catholic campus ministry, and am loving my faith.

It feels like Catholicism has always been such a huge part of who I am, and that I haven't joined a new Church, but finally come into full union with the Church I've always regarded to be the Church of Christ.

So, that's my story.

Upvote 0

RAnonUS19B

Christian
Feb 27, 2014
USA
✟9,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well my conversion isnt really a conversion at all.
sense i was born i knew their was a god without being taught a thing. pretty much i was a child of god sense i was born i hardly sinned sense i was born well into 10 :) went to church for 1-4 years around 8-11 but they really only sang without teaching anything. but 2 years ago at 12 i taught myself about the bible. :)

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

yhwhismysalvation

Jun 21, 2014
Illinois
✟15,306.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

I am 59 and was born and raised Baptist. I have felt powerfully drawn to the Catholic Church over the last couple of years. Trusting in the guidance of the Spirit led me to finally make the decision to enter the Church. The Bible, history, the writings of the early Church Fathers, and the issue of Authority were definitively major factors. The process of converting from Evangelicalism to Catholicism was a very painful process for me, something many cradle Catholics don't understand. I finished RCIA this spring, 4 weeks before I was to be confirmed I couldn't go through with it, but I am now ready to come Home.

God bless all,

Ed

• Prayers
Upvote 0

yhwhismysalvation

Jun 21, 2014
Illinois
✟15,306.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

I am 59 and was born and raised Baptist. I have felt powerfully drawn to the Catholic Church over the last couple of years. Trusting in the guidance of the Spirit led me to finally make the decision to enter the Church. The Bible, history, the writings of the early Church Fathers, and the issue of Authority were definitively major factors. The process of converting from Evangelicalism to Catholicism was a very painful process for me, something many cradle Catholics don't understand. I finished RCIA this spring, 4 weeks before I was to be confirmed I couldn't go through with it, but I am now ready to come Home.

God bless all,

Ed

Did I forget to mention the CCC? Wow! A major major major factor! I cannot get enough of the CCC.

Ed

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yhwhismysalvation

Jun 21, 2014
Illinois
✟15,306.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My prayers will be with you, Ed. All sounds great. Stay the course and continue to seek truth. Yes, the CCC always helps me weed out the junk others who think they know but don't put out there. :)

Take care.

Thank you,

Ed

• Prayers
Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone,

God bless all,

Ed

Praying for the Lord's blessings on your spiritual journey :crossrc:

• Prayers
Upvote 0

EchoDreamer

Jul 10, 2014
✟15,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
(Warning: Long conversion story lies ahead!)

I'm a (sort of) Catholic convert, I guess?

Though I was born into a culturally Catholic family, and attended a Catholic primary and secondary school, I still tend to think of myself as a convert. When I was a baby, I was baptised by our local priest. However, this was done more to pander to my Catholic grandparents than because of my parent's wishes. I sometimes joke that my parents are only 'census Catholics'. If you actually quizzed them on their beliefs, you probably would finish with thinking that they lean on the deist/agnostic/atheist line. Yet, whenever the census comes around, they always list themselves as Catholics!

That's not to say that I had no exposure to church and mass. When I was a child, I was brought to mass nearly every Sunday by my mother. My mother did this more out of a feeling of obligation (as when she was a child she was brought to mass) than religious sincerity. I even remember praying as a child, quite fervently at times. But, though I went to Catholic schools, my religious education was rather lacking. Once at mass, I recall the priest mentioning that Christ was God. When the priest announced this, I thought to myself, "Stop the mass! You mean, Jesus is God?! I thought he was only the Son of God!" Obviously, I knew nothing of the Trinity.

When I reached my teenage years, I went through a pretty rough time. Doctors were called in to have appointments with me, I went to hospital, and I was diagnosed with everything you could think of (it wasn't until recently that I was diagnosed correctly). This led me to fall out of belief in God (that admittedly, I knew very little about). I like to call those years my 'angsty, angry, atheist years'. But I still questioned whether there was a God or not.

Finally, I reached University. I felt lonely and out-of-place. Then seemingly out of nowhere, I thought "wouldn't it be nice to explore whether God really does exist?" At that moment, I was in the University library and literally surrounded by books, and a lot of those books were theology books. I began to read, and watch, and listen, and learn about different religions. I can honestly say, that I know a little about Islam, neo-paganism, Buddhism, Ba'hai'ism, Hinduism, do-it-yourself-ism, amongst many others!

I read the Bible. The Old Testament was hard, and a more than slightly bewildering. I could only read parts of it. I continued to the gospels. To preface this, I'm a huge devourer of books, and when I read the gospels - the actual words and teachings of Christ - I was hooked! It was like reading a best-seller. I kept on thinking, 'what will Jesus say/do next?'. It was an amazing experience.

This launched me into Christianity. Immediately, I was bogged down by the sheer numbers of different denominations. It was rather depressing, as I believed that one surely had to be right. I ignored Roman Catholicism firstly, because since I was brought up in culturally Catholic Ireland I just wasn't interested. But then again, the light clicked on inside my head, and I began to investigate Catholicism. What was this faith that drew such visceral comments from non-Catholics? Why was it so controversial? Eventually, I was drawn in by how Catholicism brings logic and mystery so perfectly together and in such beauty. I know some Catholics have a lot to answer for, but the actual faith itself is astounding.

And that's my story :) . I'm still a University student, trying to learn more about my faith, and hopefully, I'll be soon attending Confession for the first time in years! Exciting times lay ahead of me!

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

And that's my story :) . I'm still a University student, trying to learn more about my faith, and hopefully, I'll be soon attending Confession for the first time in years! Exciting times lay ahead of me!

How wonderful...and exciting for you :thumbsup:
The Lord has special things planned; you will be in my prayers :pray:

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Though I was born into a culturally Catholic family, and attended a Catholic primary and secondary school, I still tend to think of myself as a convert. When I was a baby, I was baptised by our local priest. However, this was done more to pander to my Catholic grandparents than because of my parent's wishes. I sometimes joke that my parents are only 'census Catholics'. If you actually quizzed them on their beliefs, you probably would finish with thinking that they lean on the deist/agnostic/atheist line. Yet, whenever the census comes around, they always list themselves as Catholics!

That's not to say that I had no exposure to church and mass. When I was a child, I was brought to mass nearly every Sunday by my mother. My mother did this more out of a feeling of obligation (as when she was a child she was brought to mass) than religious sincerity. I even remember praying as a child, quite fervently at times. But, though I went to Catholic schools, my religious education was rather lacking. Once at mass, I recall the priest mentioning that Christ was God. When the priest announced this, I thought to myself, "Stop the mass! You mean, Jesus is God?! I thought he was only the Son of God!" Obviously, I knew nothing of the Trinity.

When I reached my teenage years, I went through a pretty rough time. Doctors were called in to have appointments with me, I went to hospital, and I was diagnosed with everything you could think of (it wasn't until recently that I was diagnosed correctly). This led me to fall out of belief in God (that admittedly, I knew very little about). I like to call those years my 'angsty, angry, atheist years'. But I still questioned whether there was a God or not.

Finally, I reached University. I felt lonely and out-of-place. Then seemingly out of nowhere, I thought "wouldn't it be nice to explore whether God really does exist?" At that moment, I was in the University library and literally surrounded by books, and a lot of those books were theology books. I began to read, and watch, and listen, and learn about different religions. I can honestly say, that I know a little about Islam, neo-paganism, Buddhism, Ba'hai'ism, Hinduism, do-it-yourself-ism, amongst many others!

I read the Bible. The Old Testament was hard, and a more than slightly bewildering. I could only read parts of it. I continued to the gospels. To preface this, I'm a huge devourer of books, and when I read the gospels - the actual words and teachings of Christ - I was hooked! It was like reading a best-seller. I kept on thinking, 'what will Jesus say/do next?'. It was an amazing experience.

This launched me into Christianity. Immediately, I was bogged down by the sheer numbers of different denominations. It was rather depressing, as I believed that one surely had to be right. I ignored Roman Catholicism firstly, because since I was brought up in culturally Catholic Ireland I just wasn't interested. But then again, the light clicked on inside my head, and I began to investigate Catholicism. What was this faith that drew such visceral comments from non-Catholics? Why was it so controversial? Eventually, I was drawn in by how Catholicism brings logic and mystery so perfectly together and in such beauty. I know some Catholics have a lot to answer for, but the actual faith itself is astounding.

God bless you my dear sister in Christ!
your story brings joy to my heart, we live in the midst of a spiritual drought, so amid such trying times, to see that you have found the "Waters of Everlasting Life" brings such happiness to me :)

many many people are in similar space as you, they grow up in a nominal Catholic home, and then when the grace of God sparks in their hearts and they start to search for a deeper relationship with Him, they ignore the Catholic Church because "they already know that" they think the nominal faith they grew up with is the real Catholic Church and thus they discount it totally.
I know many people over here in the USA who went to Catholic school and felt the same things, few of them ever come back to the Church because they assume they know it all....

welcome to CF and thank you for sharing your story with us
and yes, the words of Christ are so amazing!
People in this forum often recommend that those interested in Christianity read the New Testament first and then the Old Testament, because that actually helps give them a better context.

Upvote 0

EchoDreamer

Jul 10, 2014
✟15,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How wonderful...and exciting for you :thumbsup:
The Lord has special things planned; you will be in my prayers :pray:

God bless you my dear sister in Christ!
your story brings joy to my heart, we live in the midst of a spiritual drought, so amid such trying times, to see that you have found the "Waters of Everlasting Life" brings such happiness to me :)

many many people are in similar space as you, they grow up in a nominal Catholic home, and then when the grace of God sparks in their hearts and they start to search for a deeper relationship with Him, they ignore the Catholic Church because "they already know that" they think the nominal faith they grew up with is the real Catholic Church and thus they discount it totally.
I know many people over here in the USA who went to Catholic school and felt the same things, few of them ever come back to the Church because they assume they know it all....

welcome to CF and thank you for sharing your story with us
and yes, the words of Christ are so amazing!
People in this forum often recommend that those interested in Christianity read the New Testament first and then the Old Testament, because that actually helps give them a better context.

Thank you both for your kind welcomes and prayers! They are very welcome :) .

It's hard to be a University student in Ireland and to be a fully practising Catholic at the same time. University culture here is very much focused on: sex, drugs, drink and parties. Catholic culture nowadays in this country is almost non-existent (particularly among those my age). If there is a belief in God with people of a similar age to me, it's a lax God. But I must focus on the positives! I have found a few Christian and Catholic friends, and they are a source of great comfort for me.

You're absolutely correct that a lot of cradle Catholics now feel that there is no God, or that religion has little to offer them. I just pray that other people like me (namely my family) will have a change of heart, if it pleases God.

Anyway, thank you again! It was nice to share my story and read others :D .

• Prayers
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Well my conversion isnt really a conversion at all.
sense i was born i knew their was a god without being taught a thing. pretty much i was a child of god sense i was born i hardly sinned sense i was born well into 10 :) went to church for 1-4 years around 8-11 but they really only sang without teaching anything. but 2 years ago at 12 i taught myself about the bible. :)

Good for you, Rockshe. You do sound blessed by God. Such faith is not given to everyone.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
What I loved about the little, red, penny catechism, yhwhismysalvation, when, at the age of about twenty-two/twenty-three, I was returning to the fold from the age of five or six, was that it didn't shilly-shally about. It not only categorically stated the existence of angels, but I believe named the various 'choirs of angels' - if that's the term. Of course, it doesn't seem such a big deal now, after 53 years; just scriptural.

Very pleased for you that you're home. It seems to me it could scarcely be at a better time. I think I was lucky returning after Vatican II, but things tended to go from a narcissistic, far-right self-referentiality to, in some ways and places, virtually a a gnostic kind of liberalism, in which Christ was considered a tad 'downmarket'. Not unlike the far right in some ways, in that regard. A priest who, as a young man, worked as a kind of assistant to Lefebvre said that in all the - I think 2 years he spent with him - he never heard him once mention Christ - evidently outside the liturgy. Just the Church.

It strikes me that Francis is trying very astutely and purposefully to get the church back on course, to Gospel, rather than medieval-court values. Athough he sometimes 'puts the wind up us', I suspect he's just thinking strategically and being very wily.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Aren't all these conversion stories beautiful? Every one of them. God's very personal intervention in one person's life, replicated any number of times with other sheep who've wandered off in the dark and the mist. Put on over his shoulder and brought back!

• Prayers
Upvote 0