Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I guess I haven't witnessed much of that. Maybe I should adopt the rule that if I wouldn't say it on Facebook, I shouldn't say it here. Of course, that would eliminate my need for coming here.....tee hee

please pardon me if in LOL, but i dropped facebook years ago when they started piling on, and deliberately persecuting Christians.
i know that there are folks who believe in having a Christian witness there, but if the site owners are against Christianity, then it doesn't do much good to have a door slamed in your face repeatedly.
I had it slammed once, and i took the hint and haven't gone back or felt the need to do so.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Walking away does not mean you stop posting. It means you stop feeding the problem. If someone becomes unreasonable you just don't respond to them you respond to the people being reasonable.

Eventually you affect the culture. That's what used to happen in OBOB. Yes people fought. But not as if the other person was the poster child for everything wrong with the world.

We used to get two or three anti-catholic trolls a day that the staff have to deal with. Now it's unusual to get that in a month. But while we were concerned about protecting our safe haven for others we never fought like this among ourselves.

I think if people walked away from that kind of conflict it wouldn't result in an empty forum. It may for a bit. But in the long-term a healthy area would grow.

unfortunately the answer is not to walk away from it, but to deal with it.
when you let people walk away you lose both the good and the bad. and in the end the forum looses
more members that way than it retains. Take a look at how many good teachers we have lost because of such conflicts.
take a look around and see how many fallow fields we have here that used to be populated and lively.

repopulating a forum--especially a Congregational forum-- is a possibility, but the way the world is going these days
it will be a more difficult task than it has been before now. and it will take longer.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This isn't intended to be a liberals only sub-forum. You want us to accept the Democratic party's liberal agenda and talking points. Because there are some here who don't see it your way, you get angry and frustrated with us and accuse us of not being persuaded by "facts" and "reason". There are other sub-forums where liberals will find an echo chamber of liberal agreement.

Amen! We are always being made to feel like morons and liberals are the smartest. I know this is not my world anymore because of liberalism sanity has left still it doesn't feel good to be reminded that I have to be nice all the time but liberals get away with everything. This world was so much better when sanity ruled

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess I chose the "walk away" option, more or less. I just don't need to put up with the condescending "I'm smarter than you" or "I'm holier than you" attitude. I'm educated, I have loads of experience in lots of areas. But I don't roll it out every time I'm challenged. So I choose to ignore a couple of people. This board is much more enjoyable without the drama.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
think people come with the sincere desire to learn and grow.

I came here because I been on forums since a long time and one I was on closed, I can say I did not come to learn I came to find people like myself with my beliefs and ideas. I also came on forums to vent but found out I can't do that either on forums

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I've said this before and I'll say it again.

When both sides keep saying that the other side is dominating, it's probably a sign that neither side is.
pardon again, but that's hearsay.
we don't actually know the real stats, so it's very easy to put forth such an opinion--especially when it cannot be backed up with the simple facts.

in essence it's like the book "The Emperor's New Clothes". Whether the clothes are there or not depends on what one sees or doesn't see.

not a problem per se, but also it's a non-starter as an arguement, because it can't be either proved or disproved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Listen to understand not just respond. Realize that we can not demonize large numbers of a group...stereotype their intentions and place that on people who post here. No one here is the representative for what is wrong with the liberal view or the conservative view or any view. Can we set aside snark, scoring points and passive aggressive comments in favor of dialog? This agreement is not mod enforceable. It is an agreement between brothers and sisters to treat each other better even when the discussions are serious. No one is asking for PC discussions without edge or passion. But passion does not mean disrespect.

i can only dream...its awful that we cannot agree to the above and is unsettling that these thoughts aren't already codified in the rules of board.

many people come here just to sling mud...

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I want to be a mod.

Just thought I'd throw that in here

Someone who has flagrantly broken forum roles for years (such as the rules against sock accounts) shouldn't become a mod.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I came here because I been on forums since a long time and one I was on closed, I can say I did not come to learn I came to find people like myself with my beliefs and ideas. I also came on forums to vent but found out I can't do that either on forums
I came for the same reason.
the forum i was on was closed, so i came here. and now there are hardly any Christian forums left.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Someone who has flagrantly broken forum roles for years (such as the rules against sock accounts) shouldn't become a mod.

but to see the other side of things and all the work involved just might be the curing of him!
(just kidding---but really, you should apply!)

Reactions: topcare
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
pardon again, but that's hearsay.
we don't actually know the real stats, so it's very easy to put forth such an opinion--especially when it cannot be backed up with the simple facts.

in essence it's like the book "The Emperor's New Clothes". Whether the clothes are there or not depends on what one sees or doesn't see.

not a problem per se, but also it's a non-starter as an arguement, because it can't be either proved or disproved.

What facts? Liberals say they are oppressed. Conservatives say they are being oppressed. The oppression Olympics aren't that fun.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
please pardon me if in LOL, but i dropped facebook years ago when they started piling on, and deliberately persecuting Christians.
i know that there are folks who believe in having a Christian witness there, but if the site owners are against Christianity, then it doesn't do much good to have a door slamed in your face repeatedly.
I had it slammed once, and i took the hint and haven't gone back or felt the need to do so.

I am not Catholic but am reading this thread and want to reply to this. I ditched Facebook years ago..I used to get spammed a lot mainly by scammers and fake 19 year old girls claiming to be from China, Japan, and Russia...most of the time I just deleted and reported them..but a few times I decided to reply and preach to them..guess what? The spammers reported me for religious spamming!
Someone also stole a photo of my wife at the time and used it to open a fake account, which was reported and deleted pretty quick, but waaaay too much drama on FB!

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
By always putting us down like saying conservatives are stupid, that we aren't rational and a host of other things and getting away with it. They got their own place they need to go there

OK, but I've seen conservatives slinging the mud around too. Both sides have members that do that and that's part of the problem. Being blind to one side because one agrees with that side just makes it worse. There are plenty of times I think a more liberal person has crossed the line.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think we all need to approach this forum with the serenity prayer. It's pointless and unnecessary to desire to change the minds of ideologues. There are thoughtful moderates out there, and our efforts are best focused on reaching them and convincing the like-minded to get out and vote.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.