JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
God says in the Bible, Christian denominations alone are around 33,000 the reasons for so many Christian denominations are mainly based on disagreements over the interpretation of Scripture.

I say we are missing something crucial in life and that is the son of God.

Jesus: "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. Mathews 21:22

I am not standing against the Christ at all.

Oi you are quoting me, but you have changed what I have written. I did not wrote:

“God says in the Bible, Christian denominations alone are around 33,000.”

The Bible does not say that at all. See how easy is to change original writings? And this is only one paragraph, imaging the whole book of the Bible being translated from Aramaic-Hebrew to Greek, Latin, etc.

We are all the sons of God. We all are children of the Most High. He created all of us according to the verse below.

"I said, 'You are gods; you are all sons of the Most High." Psalm 82:6

:groupray:

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Islam has an overlap of roots, but it plays out very differently.

The world seems to stand on a tension point right now, where religious divides could turn so political that they start many wars. People who once thought they would never promote war, find themselves standing so strongly for their religion, that they would fight to keep their religious freedoms.

The ecumenical movement is both frightening and necessary. We just need to steer it in a way that we retain our individual identities and faith precepts.

We grew up studying the Crusades, swearing we would never do that... real Christians would never do that... but look how close we are coming to that point again.

I think that is why people are writing books, and making ecumenical efforts. They see what is coming down the road.

To homogenize faith is as offensive and soul-robbing as physical attack. A group should never declare what everyone believes, because belief is in the heart and mind.

To take that right from people compares to the mandates of a cult. No matter how nice it sounds, merging activities with other faith groups is domineering.

In workplace diversity incentives, the motive is always to include but not homogenize. Trained diversity proponents encourage people to love their heritage and retain their uniqueness.

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
So regarding your sermon, here a few things I have learn from talking and debating with Muslims:

Whenever they talk about God and Mohammed they always say “Blessed be their Name” this show me that they do not take the name of God in vain.

I was very impress when I asked about Jesus and not only they belief in Jesus as well (although as a holy prophet) but they also say “Blesses be his name” every time they mention Jesus name. So far, I have not come across a Christian, which shows this kind of respect for the name of Jesus.

I was tempted to respond to Jeliel yesterday, but I didn't bother in the end.

As much as I'd like to agree with him that we are all the same and worship one God, there are fundamental differences in our understanding of who and what Jesus is, and as Jesus is central to our faith, then it is difficult to accept something else as being from the same God when it is so fundamentally different. There is a huge difference between being the saviour and being a prophet.

In response to your point that Muslims say "Blessed be their name", I have to say that merely almost automatically saying something after a particular phrase or word, isn't an indicator of respect or that you don't take Gods name in vein.

No amount of outward display or automatic conditioning and response can make up for what is truly in a persons heart. But that is just my opinion.

The Bible for me is strewn with examples all through the old testament showing that God is a loving and forgiving God, so I guess the question is, even after all that, why did God give us Jesus?

I must admit, Im not sure, though I do recognise the influence of Jesus in my life.

I guess to "fulfil the law" would be one response, to free us from rules and regulations. There isn't anything I can do myself that brings me closer to God, such as circumcision, fasting, giving up beer, or whatever. I feel Im drawn closer through Christ. I feel that through faith, I am compelled to do good, but I don't do good to get faith.

Isn't it said somewhere, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No, christian and islam is not the same God at all. No offense, but if my preacher said that or invited someone like that to preach at my church I would leave in 5 seconds. There are not many paths to God at all. This is a popular lie and deception. Jesus said to be in this world but not of this world-its exclusive. Jesus said, I'm the way and the truth. No one comes to the Father except through me. He didn't say, you can come through budda or mohammad, etc. also.

It sounds like a pastor that has been brainwashed by the culture. The church is suppose to influence the culture not the culture leading the church. We are the salt and light to a dying world.

I have studied other religions and they are all fundamentally different. The bible is the truth-not because I said so but there is overwhelming circumstantial evidence that it could be only written by God because of its attributes.

Christian concept: www.livingwaters.com/good/
Visit: www.TheBibleProofBook.com. And you can read The Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowell (its overwhelming circumstantial evidence of bible) and Examine the Evidence by Muncaster a former athiest/The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel a former athiest.

Upvote 0

JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
To homogenize faith is as offensive and soul-robbing as physical attack. A group should never declare what everyone believes, because belief is in the heart and mind.

In workplace diversity incentives, the motive is always to include but not homogenize. Trained diversity proponents encourage people to love their heritage and retain their uniqueness.

Heron I complete agree with you in regards to homogenize faith, everyone should be free to have their own beliefs and faith.

Everything in Nature is telling me that God is a God of creativity and diversity, not a God of clones.

He could had have created every bird, tree, flower, human the same, (mono, clone) He chose not to, I belief He wanted us to live in peace together, with tolerance and with love for each other, as we are all a manifestation of His Divine Love.

Blessings to you.

Upvote 0

JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
As much as I'd like to agree with him that we are all the same and worship one God, there are fundamental differences in our understanding of who and what Jesus is, and as Jesus is central to our faith, then it is difficult to accept something else as being from the same God when it is so fundamentally different. There is a huge difference between being the saviour and being a prophet.

The Bible for me is strewn with examples all through the old testament showing that God is a loving and forgiving God, so I guess the question is, even after all that, why did God give us Jesus?

I must admit, Im not sure, though I do recognise the influence of Jesus in my life.

I guess to "fulfil the law" would be one response, to free us from rules and regulations. There isn't anything I can do myself that brings me closer to God, such as circumcision, fasting, giving up beer, or whatever. I feel Im drawn closer through Christ. I feel that through faith, I am compelled to do good, but I don't do good to get faith.

Isn't it said somewhere, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

sjdean, of course are differences between Islam and Christianity, I do not dispute that, also differences between Christian Denominations, what I am saying is if we look at what we have similar instead of what separate us, we may be able to be more tolerant ( I say tolerant not convert or take others beliefs). And as you mention above, if we are more tolerant of each other, it may be easier to practice the second command; “You should love your neighbour (every neighbour, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Christian, etc) as you love yourself”

Yes Jesus said He come to fulfil the law – the Jewish Law, the law of the Jewish Prophets, He (Jesus) was a Jew and going to the Synagogue (not the church) studying the Jewish Scriptures (not the Bible) He (Jesus) also said He come Not to change the Law (the Jewish Law).

I am glad to read you feel bless and motivated to do good because of your faith and closeness to Christ, I pray to Christ to keep blessing you and for you to keep feeling Him within you.

Upvote 0

JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
No, christian and islam is not the same God at all.

I have studied other religions and they are all fundamentally different. The bible is the truth-not because I said so but there is overwhelming circumstantial evidence that it could be only written by God because of its attributes[/SIZE]

salida I have never said that Christian and Islam are the same religion; they do have the same God as far I am aware of. “The God of Abraham” which is the same God of the Jews.

As far as I am aware of, God has not written any books Himself, but has inspired men to do so, and therefore that has allowed for human interpretation.

The same goes for the process of translation, while sometimes we can’t see any obvious differences in meaning between the various stages in the translation, there are often differences in the words used to convey the meaning.

So it is very important to know and to chose very carefully which Bible you are using for study as some are not “translations” but “interpretations”

A translation tries to bring over into the new language every word from the original, this is seldom possible if the translations are to make sense to the reader, were the “interpretations” are concerned only with conveying the meaning according to the translator interpretation.

The very first translation of the Hebrew Bible into Greek was the Septuagint, which later became the Old Testament of the church and the basis of its canon.

It took 600 years for Jewish scholars (Masoretes) to compare the text of all know manuscripts in an effort to create a unified text.

When first presented with translations from Hexapla (edition of the Bible) they had six versions to choose from. (pick one)

The Christian Bible was established by Bishop Cyril of Jerusalem in 350AD and it did NOT include the book of Revelations.

The Old Testament varies from church to church, (Orthodox 51 books, Protestants 39 books) same with the New Testament.

So if we believe the original scriptures to have been divinely inspired with every word being chosen by God, then we have a problem with interpretations, as interpretations are subjective.

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
sjdean, of course are differences between Islam and Christianity, I do not dispute that, also differences between Christian Denominations, what I am saying is if we look at what we have similar instead of what separate us, we may be able to be more tolerant ( I say tolerant not convert or take others beliefs). And as you mention above, if we are more tolerant of each other, it may be easier to practice the second command; “You should love your neighbour (every neighbour, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Christian, etc) as you love yourself”

Yes Jesus said He come to fulfil the law – the Jewish Law, the law of the Jewish Prophets, He (Jesus) was a Jew and going to the Synagogue (not the church) studying the Jewish Scriptures (not the Bible) He (Jesus) also said He come Not to change the Law (the Jewish Law).

I am glad to read you feel bless and motivated to do good because of your faith and closeness to Christ, I pray to Christ to keep blessing you and for you to keep feeling Him within you.

Can I ask you a question, what is your faith (Christian denomination or other)? I may have missed it.

I interpret the Bible as being two books, the old testament as the story of the Jews and the foretelling of Jesus, and one being the Gospel of Jesus Christ and what he did to free us from the law.

I think commentaries state it would be easier for the world to fall away or something than it would for the law to be changed. So Jesus, being God, being perfect, fulfilled the law thereby nullifying it, I think? Christianity couldn't have been around for Jesus to preach until he conquered death.

I would rather not see how similar my faith is to someone elses, for fear of clouding the purpose and point of my faith. Yes, I reject certain other faiths and believe them to be fatally flawed. How can I not, when I believe I have the truth?

As someone who thinks they know the truth and the way, of course I want to share this with others.

But it doesn't mean I have to be disrespectful to other people. I just see that they think they have the truth as well. And that's all good.

Maybe there is a quaker element of many paths to God.

I just know I cannot doubt Jesus, and I cannot embrace a religion in whole or part that doubts my saviour.

Now, as to Islam having the same God as Christianity, Im surprised people say this, when Islam teaches something fundamentally different even about who Jesus was. Does God contradict himself? One of us, clearly has it wrong. Therefore, it's not the same God. One of our Gods, is false. I don't think its mine, the same as as a Muslim doesn't think its theirs.

Upvote 0

JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
It is not the same God. My God has a son. Was Jesus an interpreted "oops" to you?

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, Lest he be wise in his own eyes. Proverbs(26:4-5).

A fool’s lips bring strife, And his mouth calls for blows. A fool’s mouth is his ruin, And his lips are the snare of his soul. Proverbs(18:6-7)

Has the sluggard really accomplished anything that might be a basis for being considered wise? No, but he thinks he knows all the answers, and in his pride lets others know. Proverbs 26:16

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I would rather not see how similar my faith is to someone elses, for fear of clouding the purpose and point of my faith. Yes, I reject certain other faiths and believe them to be fatally flawed. How can I not, when I believe I have the truth?

It was not my intent to cloud your faith; I thought it would be helpful rather than just have a blind faith;

( ”A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thoughts to his steps.” (Proverbs 14:15)

to have a nice discussion regarding different points of view of other religions as well as Christianity. Also be a well informed Christian with facts and knowledge of past Christian history which could stand any debate, questioning, and would not start crumbling down with just a little scrutiny.

If you need to protect your faith by not lessening, seeing similarities or discussing other points of view of other Christian denominations, let it be so, I would not continue posting in this thread.

I will leave you with a quote from Mother Teresa (If you consider her a Christian or not is up to you).

May your journey be a blessed one.

Mother Teresa Quotes on God

Before you speak,
it is necessary for you to listen,
for God speaks in the silence of the heart.
~

There is only one God and He is God to all;
therefore it is important that everyone is seen as equal before God.
I've always said we should help a Hindu become a better Hindu,
a Muslim become a better Muslim,
a Catholic become a better Catholic.​

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It took 600 years for Jewish scholars (Masoretes) to compare the text of all know manuscripts in an effort to create a unified text.
This flexibility of writings is an issue that troubles many Christians. Some feel as though their faith has been threatened if canonization is brought up. But if we teach this history matter-of-factly, we do not need to feel so concerned that someone is trying to undermine our faith.

God knows the history, and He is not threatened by it.

Now, as to Islam having the same God as Christianity, Im surprised people say this, when Islam teaches something fundamentally different even about who Jesus was.
There is a simple historical basis, of Muhammed having knowledge of Judaism before writing. That does not mean he taught the same things as God delivered to Jews over the centuries. But Islam does in fact use some of the same historical reports, and considers Abraham a patriarch.

There are also sects of Islam that consider the New Testament part of their core scriptures. A small group, of course.

Islam places more obligations on society's culture. There are handshakes, washings, ways to greet people, roles within a family, and other traditions that remind a Muslim that their religion is always with them.

I recently asked a Muslim friend what Turkey would be like for a woman traveling alone, and their response was, "Oh, they are not religious -- it is no trouble at all." Implying that with religion comes oppression.

Mainstream Christians change their cultural behavior optionally, in order to glorify God. I have heard Muslims say that Christians need religion. At the time, they were implying that we had no guiding principles that kept our behavior straight.

The system is more hierarchical, with more dominant leadership, and less spiritual authority in the hands of the people. Allah is also presented in different way, less ready to forgive wrongs than the JudeoChristian God.

If you talk with Muslims, many will sound sincere and spiritually devout, peace-loving. But some will also talk about family tensions or spiritual leadership in ways that reveal hidden religious trouble. That can also happen in Christianity or Judaism; Man brings trouble along wherever he goes.

Within the readings there are many differences also. Some comparison charts:

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, compare all three

Comparison Chart: Islam, Judaism and Christianity - ReligionFacts

Islam and Judaism: Religions of Law

Reactions: JELIEL
Upvote 0

ChildOfGod97

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
✟16,465.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Went to Church yesterday (CofE) and began to feel a bit uncomfortable by the Sermon where the preacher seemed to be upholding Islamic principles and values, talking about how much we can learn from them and talking about ways of reaching out to Muslims by joining with them in fasting during ramadan. He then went onto suggest that there could be many paths to God and that we all worship the same God.

I must admit, although I've contemplated this thought myself and often discussed it, I probably wouldn't go and preach about if asked. (not that I can preach).

I seem to keep recalling bits in the old testament about worship of false gods and the Baals etc, and thinking, well, why would I want to align myself, even if it is just out of support, to the practices of worshipping something other than my God?

(I do believe that there are fundamental differences between the teachings of Christianity and Islam which suggests it can not possibly come from the same source)

Cya
Simon

You absolutely do not want to engage in their wicked religious practices. Muslims may be engaged on common ground without falling into their gross and noxious evils.

Ramadan is very evil, it is a festival of public fasting designed truly not for God, but for show, so that the people might praise each other in their hard deeds "for God", and so be bonded together in hypocrisy and self-righteousness.

All of the five tenets are very evil and as you well know just as the Pharisees did. They are for show and make a mockery of the true faith all have been called to since birth, substituting the praise of man for the praise of God. Profaning and making a public spectacle out of that which is meant to be private and Holy.

They steal, as well, the praise due to God when they do these things.

Islam is full of gross errors.

Your preacher is clearly fooled by their guise of godliness, just as many who were weak were fooled by the works of the Pharisees.

You should change churches, wiping the dust off your feet in condemnation as you go, publicly questioning if the church ceiling does not want to fall in on him for so evil are such exhortations.

Of course, Muslims are to be loved as all people are to be loved, as Jesus loved the Pharisees, saying even on the cross, "Father, forgive them for they do not know what they do".

They are in ignorance and need light. Teaching. Education.

Joining them in ignorance and calling their ignorance "knowledge" shows that your preacher is lacking the very fundamentals of the knowledge which matters -- knowledge of the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
It was not my intent to cloud your faith; I thought it would be helpful rather than just have a blind faith;

Before you speak,
it is necessary for you to listen,
for God speaks in the silence of the heart.

There is only one God and He is God to all;

Did anyone say we shouldn't listen? The problem is in believing that we all follow the same God. We do all have the same God, as there is only one, but even through the old testament, people worshipped Baals and other "Gods". What about the passage about many will come in my name, and should anyone preach a different gospel, let them be eternally condemned?

Listen yes. But share in the practices of other faiths? Talk about how much they can influence our Christian faith? Try and say that even after what we know in the Bible that they definitely worship the same God?

If other faiths hold water, then what was the point in Jesus? Im not going down that route.

Anybody can believe what they like. Im happy that we have the freedom. Just don't expect me to follow it and think we're all the same. Christians seem to spend so much of their time proving how similar they are to other people by adopting the values, practices and rituals of other people as a means to break down barriers. I don't get it.

When can I get the vicar to come along with me on a drinking session?

PS you still haven't indicated what faith you are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Personal information is kept private for many reasons. There is no reason one forum member should require additional information from another.

Yes, but you can indicate what faith you are through the forums, what denomination of Christianity you are for example.

Plus this forum is "for Christians" only and needed a Christian label in the persons profile. At least that's what I was once told by a mod.

Upvote 0

JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
PS you still haven't indicated what faith you are.

“I am not a type of faith.” I live by faith.

However I refuse to let people put me or Christianity in a box with a label, I believe is a kind of attack on other Christian people who didn’t believe or interpreted the Bible the same way they do, that behaviour to me is fundamentalist, even fanatical: this is how it is, my way or no way, no derivation. If you don’t see the Elephant from the same little corner I am in, you are wrong, the Elephant is wrong, there is not Elephant.

Would it make any difference if I put a little icon saying what denomination I belong to, but I would not respect your rights to interpret the Bible under your own denomination if they happen to be different from mine.

Christianity is not a check mark in a box, or preaching in a church.

Regarding the rules of the forum;

Confidentiality and Privacy
Respect another member's right to confidentiality and privacy. (I suppose this is why there is a button to choose to disclosure or not)

"Yet they act so pious! They come to the temple every day and seem so delighted to learn all about Me. They act like a righteous nation that would never abandon the laws of its God. They ask Me to take action on their behalf, pretending they want to hear Me. ‘We have fasted before You', they say. ‘Why aren't You impressed?' ‘I will tell you why!' I respond. ‘It's because you are fasting to please yourselves. Even while you fast you keep oppressing your workers. What good is fasting when you keep on fighting and quarrelling? This kind of fasting will never get you anywhere with Me…Do you really think this will please the Lord? No, this is the kind of fasting I want: free those who are wrongly imprisoned lighten the burden of those who work for you. Let the oppressed go free, and remove the chains that bind people. Share your food with the hungry, give clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help." Isaiah 59:1-7 (NLT)

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I am sorry if I offended you for asking your faith. As someone who likes to quote rules from the site, may I point you to the sites rules which discusses being anti-universalism and being pro-Nicene Creed.

It wasn't clear to me from your postings whether you are or are not a Christian in one denomination or another.

Frankly I don't really mind what faith you are.

I agree about keeping dialogue open between other faiths, being tolerant of other religions, finding out what other faiths do, working together for the greater good. And I'd love to see a lot more of it.

Back to the original post I made though, and to address your comments how we (or is that I?) should be more tolerant and look for the similarities....

I feel uncomfortable hearing suggestions about how we should be doing things that other faiths do, like fasting during ramadan in the local mosque to show togetherness. I cannot say 100% that Islam and Christianity do have the same God, when they have (or at least the main Orthodox Christian denominations) a different idea of Jesus.

The reason I have to doubt the relationship between Islam and Christianity and whether they have the same God is that I know what faith in Jesus has brought to my life.

Jesus because we call it the same thing, doesn't make it so. A laptop has a screen, but it doesn't make it a TV. Just because you call it God, does not make it so. There is only one God. The Baals weren't God. What if Allah is like a Baal?

Im quite amazed how much Christians are prepared to change their values, their understanding, even their faith to accomodate other religions. I guess that makes me fundamentalist, but I think it is just a set of unshakable core beliefs. Fundamental is such a dirty word.

Im not quite sure where we go from here, apart from your almost universalistic thoughts, it seems we agree.

I also admit before I joined the Church, I was thinking about the Quakers. I like many of their attitudes, they too have a many paths to God approach. Maybe it is true. It would certainly account for the many different religions if we each need our own thing, like Mormons need to beleive not to drink.

But I cannot hold that thought now. It doesn't make sense to me in the context of the Bible, especially in the context of Galatians.

Ta
Simon

Upvote 0

JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I am sorry if I offended you for asking your faith. As someone who likes to quote rules from the site, may I point you to the sites rules which discusses being anti-universalism and being pro-Nicene Creed.

It takes more than that for me to be offended. I am not even offended of you accusing me of being universalism. It just amuses me to see how easy people open their mouth to imply, insinuate, or accuse others, base on assumptions in their own mind, without any piece of evidence or facts to back up their own false assumptions.

It wasn't clear to me from your postings whether you are or are not a Christian in one denomination or another.

I try not to make biased postings just to suit or highlight my denomination.

Frankly I don't really mind what faith you are.

Then let it go!

I agree about keeping dialogue open between other faiths, being tolerant of other religions, finding out what other faiths do, working together for the greater good. And I'd love to see a lot more of it.

Good on you.

Back to the original post I made though, and to address your comments how we (or is that I?) should be more tolerant and look for the similarities....

I feel uncomfortable hearing suggestions about how we should be doing things that other faiths do, like fasting during ramadan in the local mosque to show togetherness. I cannot say 100% that Islam and Christianity do have the same God, when they have (or at least the main Orthodox Christian denominations) a different idea of Jesus.

The reason I have to doubt the relationship between Islam and Christianity and whether they have the same God is that I know what faith in Jesus has brought to my life.

Jesus because we call it the same thing, doesn't make it so. A laptop has a screen, but it doesn't make it a TV. Just because you call it God, does not make it so. There is only one God. The Baals weren't God. What if Allah is like a Baal?

Yes to me it does. What I call God, becomes God to me, what you call God, becomes God to you, regardless of what you called or I called, the “Principle Substance” is One. Williams may be Bill to you Will to me and Wills to others, still the same person, just different people call him different derivatives of his name, he does not change because of that.

Im quite amazed how much Christians are prepared to change their values, their understanding, even their faith to accomodate other religions. I guess that makes me fundamentalist, but I think it is just a set of unshakable core beliefs. Fundamental is such a dirty word.

My faith is immutable; therefore I do not feel uncomfortable to discuss any religion.

“...A king may move a man, a father may claim a son. But remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice...”

Im not quite sure where we go from here, apart from your almost universalistic thoughts, it seems we agree.

“Universalistic Thoughts” I am flatted to be compared with Jesus thougths,;) after all I am trying to copy his “Universalistic Thoughts” –

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations…” (Matt. 28:19-20) –

“Love your neighbour as yourself” (I consider this also an universalistic thought, unless of course Jesus was meaning next door neighbour literally)

Where we go from here, I suggest we bless each other and pray that each of us find they way to God and live in peace.

I also admit before I joined the Church, I was thinking about the Quakers. I like many of their attitudes, they too have a many paths to God approach. Maybe it is true. It would certainly account for the many different religions if we each need our own thing, like Mormons need to beleive not to drink.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. ... John 14:2 2

Simon I understand you need to have understanding of the sermon given by your preacher and I suggest you either talk to your preacher directly about it.

You could also have some other Christian here in the forum of you same belief to talk with you about it, I am definitely not the right person for you to continue with this discussion.

My way of thinking is; if someone post an article asking for opinions or suggestions, I will try to help out of the spirit of my heat, with my personal point of view or interpretation of the post or the Bible, but once the point of view is made, is up to you to take it on board or not, but I do keep duelling on it over and over again, like a dog with a bone.

Therefore I wish you find the understanding you are looking for.

Upvote 0