Elgibbor

Veteran
Oct 14, 2011
✟1,641.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This is really bothering me. Why are there so many contradictions in the Bible?

"For I am merciful, saith the Lord, and I will not keep anger forever." (Jeremiah 3:12)
"Ye have kindled a fire in mine anger, which shall burn forever." (Jeremiah 17:4)

"If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid." (John 5:31)
"Jesus answered: Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid." (John 8:14)

"And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth." (Matthew 28:18)
"the whole world is under control of the evil one." (1 John 5:19)

And Jesus said, "For judgement I am come into this world." (John 9:39)
"I came not to judge the world" (John 12:47)

"For God so loved the world" (John 3:16)
“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” (1 John 2:15)

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)
"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 6:1)

"Jacob said, 'I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.'" (Genesis 32:30)
"No man hath seen God at any time." (John 1:18)

We should fear God (Matthew 10:28)
We should love God (Matthew 22:37)
There is no fear in love (1 John 4:18)

Elgibbor

Veteran
Oct 14, 2011
✟1,641.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Also, there is this:
Foolery

"But anyone who says 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Jesus) Mat 5:22

"You fools!" (Jesus) Luke 11:40
"You blind fools!" (Jesus) Mat 23:17
"How foolish you are" (Jesus) Luke 24:25
"But God said to him, 'You fool!' " (Jesus) Luke 12:20
"You foolish Galatians!" (St. Paul) Galatians 3:1
"You foolish man" James 2:20

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because so many of you look at the number denoting Chapter and verse and assume they were orginally included in the orginal texts and that these numbers denote complete thoughts. thus allowing you to take far too many precepts out of context.

"For I am merciful, saith the Lord, and I will not keep anger forever." (Jeremiah 3:12)
lets look at this in context.
11 The LORD said to me, “Israel was not faithful to me, but she had a better excuse than unfaithful Judah. 12 Jeremiah, look toward the north and speak this message:
“‘Come back, you faithless people of Israel.’
This message is from the LORD.
‘I will stop frowning at you.
I am full of mercy.’
The LORD says, ‘I will not be angry with you forever.
13 But you must recognize your sin.
You turned against the LORD your God.
That is your sin.
You worshiped the idols of other nations.
You worshiped them under every green tree.
You did not obey me.’”

This is a call to repentance. god's anger is conditional here. In that if they can repent for being adultrous then He will forgive them.

"Ye have kindled a fire in mine anger, which shall burn forever." (Jeremiah 17:4)
This is not even an accurate repersentation of the Chapter and verse it is quoted from.
4 You will lose the land I gave you.
I will let your enemies take you to be their slaves.
That is because I am very angry.
My anger is like a hot fire, and you will be burned forever.”

Even so this is what happened when Juda did not repent as they were called to do in Jer 3

Again not an accurate repersentation of the scripture quoted.
31 “If I bear witness of Myself, My witness is not true. 32 There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the witness which He witnesses of Me is true. 33 You have sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth. 34 Yet I do not receive testimony from man, but I say these things that you may be saved.

Christ here is explaining the the culture in which He lives, and is pointing to the work of john the baptist as being his 'wittness.'
"Jesus answered: Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid." (John 8:14)
13 The Pharisees therefore said to Him, “You bear witness of Yourself; Your witness is not true.”
14 Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going.

Here Christ is explaining because He is God, what He says about Himself is true because He know Where He came From and Where his Path leads. He is above the culture and Above the understandings of men. Even, so for the sake of the culture and the understandings of men He was given John the baptist as his 'witness.'

"And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth." (Matthew 28:18)
after the crucifition the dynamic of the world had changed. Christ conquored death and the devil and He takes control.

this was before the crucifition, and the Devil did rule.

39 And Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world, that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may be made blind.”The word here in the orginal greek is: κρίμα krima it means to levy a judgement or sentence.

the word for judge here is κρίνω krinō it means to preside and determine right and wrong/judge over or rule over.

I do not believe any other explaination is needed.

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
This one is appearent already. In that Chirst does not speak of the dirt that makes the world but the people in it.
“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” (1 John 2:15)
This speaks to the people who love the things of this world.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 6:1)
6 “Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2 Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 3 But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.[a]

the difference being one is done as the need arises no matter who is looking and the other is done only as a spectical to draw attention to what a good person you are.

"Jacob said, 'I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.'" (Genesis 32:30)
The word we need to look at in this text is ראה ra'ah it means to have foresee or to have a vision

"No man hath seen God at any time." (John 1:18)the word here in the greek ὁράω horaō itmeans to see with your own eyes.

actually this is a false repersentation of Mat 10:28
Only unbelievers are to fear god:
27 “Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops. 28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

these two verses are meant for believers and not those who hate God.

these are terriable examples of contradictions. Look at how many times the one very specific view is required or how many times the context was actually changed to make the supposed contradiction work. I hope this helped, next time maybe read a little more of the context before you assume the worst.;)

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Also, there is this:
Foolery

"But anyone who says 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Jesus) Mat 5:22
The word fool here in the greek is:μωρός mōros it means:impious, godless. It is important to know this word is an appoint reserved for God.

"You fools!" (Jesus) Luke 11:40

the word in this passage is: ἄφρων aphrōn
1) without reason
2) senseless, foolish, stupid
3) without reflection or intelligence, acting rashly

"You blind fools!" (Jesus) Mat 23:17
μωρός mōros (an appointment made by God)

"How foolish you are" (Jesus) Luke 24:25
ἀνόητος anoētos
1) not understood, unintelligible
2) not understanding, unwise, foolish

ἄφρων aphrōn

"You foolish Galatians!" (St. Paul) Galatians 3:1
ἀνόητος anoētos

"You foolish man" James 2:20
κενός kenos
1) empty, vain, devoid of truth
a) of places, vessels, etc. which contain nothing
b) of men
1) empty handed
2) without a gift
c) metaph. destitute of spiritual wealth, of one who boasts of his faith as a transcendent possession, yet is without the fruits of faith
d) metaph. of endeavours, labours, acts, which result in nothing, vain, fruitless, without effect
1) vain of no purpose

Understand the bible was not orginally penned in the Kings english as some think. it was recorded in the Koine greek. It is to that dialect of greek we must seek to understand the truth of God's word. at best your 'contradictions' are lazy interpertations of the greek.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'd say it's taking the text too woodenly without permitting nuance and linguistic complexity. The Bible, like all writing and human speech, is fluid containing the full width of complex forms of communication. We then need to permit hyperbole, simile, metaphor, idiom, allegory, and all the many, many ways of communicating thought to be present in the text.

Taking everything as rigid and wooden denies the fluidity of language. Does God maintain His anger FOREVER or NOT FOREVER? Well that's really beside the point isn't it? What is the author actually saying and let's ignore what we want the author to say.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
P

Publius

Out of curiousity, did you bother to look any of these verses up for yourself before you copied and pasted them? Because, if you had, I can't help but believe you would have seen that literally every single one of them is out of context and most of them aren't even the whole verse.

Upvote 0

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In trying to understand Christianity, one needs to take the study seriously and do the work necessary to gain any real knowledge.

Just like in studying mathematics, you have to show some effort to really "get it." It's soft-headed silliness to open up a calculus textbook and declare it's all nonsense because there are hardly any numerals.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

have you read the entire Bible?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Out of curiousity, did you bother to look any of these verses up for yourself before you copied and pasted them? Because, if you had, I can't help but believe you would have seen that literally every single one of them is out of context and most of them aren't even the whole verse.

What he said. And glaringly so. That's why i asked if you read the entire Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elgibbor

Veteran
Oct 14, 2011
✟1,641.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Because so many of you look at the number denoting Chapter and verse and assume they were orginally included in the orginal texts and that these numbers denote complete thoughts. thus allowing you to take far too many precepts out of context.

lets look at this in context.
11 The LORD said to me, “Israel was not faithful to me, but she had a better excuse than unfaithful Judah. 12 Jeremiah, look toward the north and speak this message:
“‘Come back, you faithless people of Israel.’
‘I will stop frowning at you.
I am full of mercy.’
The LORD says, ‘I will not be angry with you forever.
13 But you must recognize your sin.
You turned against the LORD your God.
That is your sin.
You worshiped the idols of other nations.
You worshiped them under every green tree.
You did not obey me.’”
This is a call to repentance. god's anger is conditional here. In that if they can repent for being adultrous then He will forgive them.

This is not even an accurate repersentation of the Chapter and verse it is quoted from.
4 You will lose the land I gave you.
I will let your enemies take you to be their slaves.
That is because I am very angry.
My anger is like a hot fire, and you will be burned forever.”

Even so this is what happened when Juda did not repent as they were called to do in Jer 3

Again not an accurate repersentation of the scripture quoted.
31 “If I bear witness of Myself, My witness is not true. 32 There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the witness which He witnesses of Me is true. 33 You have sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth. 34 Yet I do not receive testimony from man, but I say these things that you may be saved.

Christ here is explaining the the culture in which He lives, and is pointing to the work of john the baptist as being his 'wittness.'

13 The Pharisees therefore said to Him, “You bear witness of Yourself; Your witness is not true.”
14 Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going.

Here Christ is explaining because He is God, what He says about Himself is true because He know Where He came From and Where his Path leads. He is above the culture and Above the understandings of men. Even, so for the sake of the culture and the understandings of men He was given John the baptist as his 'witness.'

after the crucifition the dynamic of the world had changed. Christ conquored death and the devil and He takes control.

this was before the crucifition, and the Devil did rule.

39 And Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world, that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may be made blind.”The word here in the orginal greek is: κρίμα krima it means to levy a judgement or sentence.

the word for judge here is κρίνω krinō it means to preside and determine right and wrong/judge over or rule over.

I do not believe any other explaination is needed.

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
This one is appearent already. In that Chirst does not speak of the dirt that makes the world but the people in it.
This speaks to the people who love the things of this world.

13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

6 “Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2 Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 3 But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.[a]

the difference being one is done as the need arises no matter who is looking and the other is done only as a spectical to draw attention to what a good person you are.

The word we need to look at in this text is ראה ra'ah it means to have foresee or to have a vision

"No man hath seen God at any time." (John 1:18)the word here in the greek ὁράω horaō itmeans to see with your own eyes.

actually this is a false repersentation of Mat 10:28
Only unbelievers are to fear god:
27 “Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops. 28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

these two verses are meant for believers and not those who hate God.

these are terriable examples of contradictions. Look at how many times the one very specific view is required or how many times the context was actually changed to make the supposed contradiction work. I hope this helped, next time maybe read a little more of the context before you assume the worst.;)
Thanks for that. Most interesting. I guess i shouldn't always trust what atheist websites say. :D

Upvote 0

Elgibbor

Veteran
Oct 14, 2011
✟1,641.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Also, there is this:
Foolery

The word fool here in the greek is:μωρός mōros it means:impious, godless. It is important to know this word is an appoint reserved for God.

the word in this passage is: ἄφρων aphrōn
1) without reason
2) senseless, foolish, stupid
3) without reflection or intelligence, acting rashly

μωρός mōros (an appointment made by God)

ἀνόητος anoētos
1) not understood, unintelligible
2) not understanding, unwise, foolish

ἄφρων aphrōn

ἀνόητος anoētos

κενός kenos
1) empty, vain, devoid of truth
a) of places, vessels, etc. which contain nothing
b) of men
1) empty handed
2) without a gift
c) metaph. destitute of spiritual wealth, of one who boasts of his faith as a transcendent possession, yet is without the fruits of faith
d) metaph. of endeavours, labours, acts, which result in nothing, vain, fruitless, without effect
1) vain of no purpose

Understand the bible was not orginally penned in the Kings english as some think. it was recorded in the Koine greek. It is to that dialect of greek we must seek to understand the truth of God's word. at best your 'contradictions' are lazy interpertations of the greek.
Now it's me who feels like a fool. :D

Upvote 0

Elgibbor

Veteran
Oct 14, 2011
✟1,641.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You're right. I should have looked at my Bible and checked. A lesson learned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

RaiseTheDead

Jul 15, 2012
✟1,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

To make us think :idea:

Seriously, this "bothering you" is a Spiritual thing. You want to see about that, address it. I'm here to tell you all apparent contradictions CAN be harmonized. It takes a lot of work, but I don't think one can really be too sure about ANYTHING the Bible says until you've gone that route.

It's the most rewarding pursuit in this lifetime.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with RaiseTheDead here. I have found that when something in the Word bothers me - whether it's a seeming contradiction or something that makes me feel uncomfortable or that I don't understand - if I come to my Heavenly Father and ask Him with a good attitude and sincere desire to know what this means, I find myself gaining amazing revelation.

I also want to say that drich did a beautiful job on his explanation. I only disagreed with one small thing. The scripture in I John is not pre-Crucifixion....

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with RaiseTheDead here. I have found that when something in the Word bothers me - whether it's a seeming contradiction or something that makes me feel uncomfortable or that I don't understand - if I come to my Heavenly Father and ask Him with a good attitude and sincere desire to know what this means, I find myself gaining amazing revelation.

I also want to say that drich did a beautiful job on his explanation. I only disagreed with one small thing. The scripture in I John is not pre-Crucifixion....
Stand corrected:blush:

Upvote 0

RaiseTheDead

Jul 15, 2012
✟1,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
if I come to my Heavenly Father and ask Him with a good attitude and sincere desire to know what this means, I find myself gaining amazing revelation.

:clap: Amazing how that works, isn't it? (It's as if He Loves us, or something ;)

Upvote 0