Conserative economists critical of Bush's fiscal policies

J

jamesrwright3

CaligulaNero said:
"For decades? Doesn't that mean that maybe.......oh nevermind."

Actually, we haven't been following the same for decades. Reagan did reckless spending (not to Bush Jr.'s level), and George I and Clinton helped reverse that dangerous trend, now Bush Jr. has taken it to an altogether ridiculous level.

I agree. I support him on national security but I don't like his fiscal policies.
We should be investing more in education as I believe that area could be one which poses a greater national security risk than Al Qaeda in the future.

Reactions: revolutio
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a scary link.

The annual budget deficit per household is $3791.

Right now we are paying $1582 per year on "interest only" on the national debt, but as interest rates rise back from record low levels, this cost will increase, too.

http://www.heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed041405b.cfm

Upvote 0

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The next couple of Presidents are going to have a hard time trying to repair the damage George W. Bush has caused with his fiscal policies. He's added so much to the deficit, saved so little, and spent too much of the Social Security surplus, that the next generations are in serious financial trouble.

That is, unless it starts to get taken care of as soon as possible.

It's great now, sure. But, anyone who supports everything he does in this respect, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't care about their children's future.

Upvote 0

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I'm in my freshman year of college and I'll be coming out of it with around $20,000 in student loans to pay off. On a teacher's salary. I can't tell you how thrilled I am that my future husband and I have already resigned ourselves to the fact that we'll be spending several years in a dinky apartment in order to pay off debts and save for a decent down payment on a house.

Blah, I guess what I'm really complaining about is the fact that professional athletes make a ridiculously large salary while teachers are lucky to pull 30k a year starting off. I hope my boyfriend goes into a field that pays well. :(

Upvote 0

Touring3D

Aug 10, 2004
Bossier City, LA
Visit site
✟8,903.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, I guess people ignore the fact that tax cuts have proven to work when Reagan and JFK did it. Also, the deficit is decreasing at a far greater pace than anyone expected, because of the tax cuts that everyone got.

Upvote 0

Donkeytron

Veteran
Oct 24, 2005
✟9,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Touring3D said:
So, I guess people ignore the fact that tax cuts have proven to work when Reagan and JFK did it. Also, the deficit is decreasing at a far greater pace than anyone expected, because of the tax cuts that everyone got.

These tax cuts worked quite well, although they could have been targeted a bit better. The retarded part was not cutting spending at the same time.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Touring3D said:

No one is ignoring that, please read the link that I put in the OP, it addresses the issue of his tax policy as well as his spending policy. Since these are U of C economist they pretty much agree with Bush's tax policy, but even they (the most conservative economists in America) are critical of Bush's spending policy as short sighted. This is only a summary, please read the source I cited and explain why you disagree with them. Simply saying that people are ignoring facts doesn't draw much water with me.

Upvote 0