Conn. wants to ban beer with elf label - ACLU opposed

molder

May 18, 2005
✟702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
HARTFORD, Conn. - A constitutional battle is brewing over a holiday beer that state officials are trying to ban because they say its label might entice children to drink.
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/business/13028690.htm
SeriouslyBadElf.jpg

One of the arguments the ACLU is using is that it says the Government is protecting Santa Claus and this is a violation of the Constitution’s establishment clause, which prohibits government endorsement or disapproval of religion.

Is Santa Claus a religion?

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
molder said:
HARTFORD, Conn. - A constitutional battle is brewing over a holiday beer that state officials are trying to ban because they say its label might entice children to drink.
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/business/13028690.htm
SeriouslyBadElf.jpg

One of the arguments the ACLU is using is that it says the Government is protecting Santa Claus and this is a violation of the Constitution’s establishment clause, which prohibits government endorsement or disapproval of religion.

Is Santa Claus a religion?

Well yes, we worship him on Christmas.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"The state of Connecticut must not have enough to think about," said Gary A. Lippincott, the Massachusetts artist responsible for the image.

My thoughts exactly.

And a better question is why they think children are going to be browsing the beer aisle? And if that is a problem in Conn. maybe that is the issue they should be addressing.

But it is the rest of the above quote that really made me laugh.
"The funny thing is that it is really tame compared to what they originally wanted. I believe the original idea started with him roasting a reindeer on a spit. I wonder how that would have gone over."

:D :D :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
wanderingone said:
Maybe they should be more concerned about all the appealing to children labels on junk food.... kids see more advertizing for that then they'll ever see of bad santa beer or whatever it's called.

Yes, and they can actually buy junk food... Unlike beer.

Upvote 0

Billy Batson

Nov 15, 2004
jesusland :'(
✟1,009.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
InnerPhyre said:
Ugh....government needs to mind their own business.
to be fair, it's in the legitimate interest of the government to regulate consumer goods because those goods can have ill effects on the populous, which is the basic building block of the government. for the people, by the people, yadda yadda yadda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a typical ACLU case. Raise your hand (or post a forum post to that effect) if you think the government is acting within reasonable, constitutional grounds here.

No? Yeah, me either. The ACLU isn't some anti-religion crusade, this is what they NORMALLY do. It just doesn't attract much media attention.

Upvote 0