Montreal, Quebec
✟250,877.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So..., are you saying that you are not smart enough to do some investigation yourself?
Well, I - and you - may or may not be "smart" but this is beside the point. Unless either of us is a duly qualified expert on climate science, we are not qualified to render an informed opinion.

I suggest it is self-evidently obvious that unless there is a compelling reason to think that the experts are wrong - or are engaged in a conspiracy - the most sensible response is to believe the experts.

And they overwhelmingly believe that global warming is caused by human activity.

You appear to be in the position of expecting the readers to believe that you are better qualified than the experts. Is that a fair characterization of your position?

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,877.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you seen their scientific methodology? I guess you haven't.
Again, we don't need to be experts, or study the findings of the climate experts, to have reasonable faith in their findings.

We simply need to acknowledge that the scientific enterprise is reliable and that is a priori extremely unlikely that the experts are all mistaken or engaging in deception on a massive scale.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
One can scarcely call Rep. Lamar Smith, bought and paid for by the fossil fuel industry, unbiased. Just another witch hunt by someone on the take.
As of 2015, Smith has received more than $600,000 from the fossil fuel industry during his career in Congress.[46]In 2014, Smith got more money from fossil fuels than he did from any other industry.[47] Smith is publicly skeptical of global warming.[48][49][50] Under his leadership, the House Science committee has held hearings that feature the views of skeptics,[51] subpoenaed the records and communications of scientists who published papers that Smith disapproved of,[48] and attempted to cut NASA's earth sciences budget.[52] He has been criticized for conducting "witch hunts" against climate scientists.[47] In his capacity as Chair of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology, Smith issued more subpoenas in his first three years than the committee had for its entire 54-year history.[47] In a June 2016 response letter to the Union of Concerned Scientists, Mr. Smith cited the work of the House Un-American Activities Committee in the 1950s as valid legal precedent for his investigation.[53][54]

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-1_13-40-7.png
    upload_2017-1-1_13-40-7.png
    230.2 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A lot of the time I look to see at who is financing the "experts." I look with suspicion as climatologists who are on the payroll of oil companies and fossil fuel producers who are obviously being paid to reach conclusions advantageous to their employers.

If solar or wind providers hired climatologists I would look askance at their findings, too.

I know a climatologist in real life. He worked with Al Gore on "An Inconvenient Truth." Such a kind, gentle individual, so principled, living a quiet life in the country and leaving a small environmental footprint.

Naturally I believe him most--and he was never on the payroll of oil companies.

Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I read quite a bit of the studies actually.

The scientists present climate change as human caused because the science shows that it is.
I guess you haven't read the part in the climate report where a recording sensor is located next to the air conditioning hot vent. Or that the recording sensor is located on a hot asphalt.

And if you are a scientist not towing Obama's agenda, you're fired!!

• Agree
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well, I - and you - may or may not be "smart" but this is beside the point. Unless either of us is a duly qualified expert on climate science, we are not qualified to render an informed opinion.

I suggest it is self-evidently obvious that unless there is a compelling reason to think that the experts are wrong - or are engaged in a conspiracy - the most sensible response is to believe the experts.

And they overwhelmingly believe that global warming is caused by human activity.

You appear to be in the position of expecting the readers to believe that you are better qualified than the experts. Is that a fair characterization of your position?
Do you know what qualification you need to have? Common sense. If scientists said that New York should be under in 2015 ten years ago, then New York should be underwater. But we are in 2017 now and New York is NOT underwater. So your common sense should tell you that the scientists are wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Again, we don't need to be experts, or study the findings of the climate experts, to have reasonable faith in their findings.

We simply need to acknowledge that the scientific enterprise is reliable and that is a priori extremely unlikely that the experts are all mistaken or engaging in deception on a massive scale.
New York is not underwater in 2015 like the scientists had predicted ten years ago is proof that you should not have faith in them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A lot of the time I look to see at who is financing the "experts." I look with suspicion as climatologists who are on the payroll of oil companies and fossil fuel producers who are obviously being paid to reach conclusions advantageous to their employers.

If solar or wind providers hired climatologists I would look askance at their findings, too.

I know a climatologist in real life. He worked with Al Gore on "An Inconvenient Truth." Such a kind, gentle individual, so principled, living a quiet life in the country and leaving a small environmental footprint.

Naturally I believe him most--and he was never on the payroll of oil companies.
You do know that Al Gore made $1 billion from climate baiting, right? And this guy worked for Gore. See the connection?

Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,877.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you know what qualification you need to have? Common sense. If scientists said that New York should be under in 2015 ten years ago, then New York should be underwater. But we are in 2017 now and New York is NOT underwater. So your common sense should tell you that the scientists are wrong.
Without even checking, I guarantee that there was no scientific consensus involving a prediction that New York would be underwater by 2017.

You are engaged in patent misrepresentation.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,877.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
New York is not underwater in 2015 like the scientists had predicted ten years ago is proof that you should not have faith in them.
Untrue. No such claim was ever made by a majority of scientists.

I have not checked, but I guarantee you are making this up.

Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Without even checking, I guarantee that there was no scientific consensus involving a prediction that New York would be underwater by 2017.

You are engaged in patent misrepresentation.
You guarantee?! Egg on your face, buddy. And I guess you have never heard of Google before either.

...And it's 2015, btw.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Icebergs the size of Delaware?
What is it to you if it's the size of Delaware or a car? The fact that it has gotten to the size of Delaware meant that it was overgrowing that the continent can't support anymore. That doesn't say anything. I have news for you: Antarctica was once covered with palm trees!!!

Upvote 0