Confusing information as to how to stay healthy.

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is a continuation from another thread:
( http://www.christianforums.com/t7823440-28/#post65723230 }.

I'd like to continue, as I think there's a lot more left to discuss.

Basically, it seems difficult to know what information to follow (and so much seems contradictory).

What have you discovered "works" for you?

How do you even define "works"? Is that something that works short term (for a reunion or other social event).....or is it more important to discover what can be maintained long term?

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This article mentions why typical diets fail us:

The average person gains 11 pounds for every diet they go on. Even worse, when they lose weight, they lose muscle and fat. When they regain weight, they gain back all fat. And since muscle burns seven times as many calories as fat, their metabolism is slower than when they started the diet. The cruel fact is that they then need even less calories to maintain their weight.

Haven’t you known someone who was very overweight and said they don’t eat that much? They may not be lying. They have just damaged their metabolism by yo-yo dieting.

The key to losing weight and keeping it off are two simple things. First, automatically reduce your appetite not by white knuckling it and starving yourself but fixing the out-of-whack hormones and brain chemistry that drive hunger and overeating.

The second is to automatically increase your metabolism so you burn more calories all day long. Unfortunately, most diets do the opposite – increase hunger and slow metabolism.

Here are the five reasons most diets fail and how to succeed.

1. You use willpower instead of science to control your appetite.

2. You focus on calories (eating less and exercising more)

3. You eat a low-fat diet

4. You have hidden reasons and need medical help

5. You don’t have a plan.~5 Reasons Most Diets Fail (and How To Succeed) - Dr. Mark Hyman

I only included the reasons just to keep that quote short. The article goes into more detail. The article *is* to sell a book......but I don't think it should be discredited as *only* an attempt to sell yet another diet book.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This article mentions why typical diets fail us:

I only included the reasons just to keep that quote short. The article goes into more detail. The article *is* to sell a book......but I don't think it should be discredited as *only* an attempt to sell yet another diet book.

The main focus of any weight loss problem, should be to lose fat, not weight. When you see a diet claim; you will lost 20+ pounds in a month, run for the hills!!!

Again, you CAN NOT lose fat quickly, as there is just much energy stored in fat that must be burned for that to happen. You need a deficit of 3500 calories to burn one pound of fat, so 1-2 pounds per week, will assure you are losing mostly fat - as long as you are combining exercise with calorie reduction and not going on a diet that drastically reduces your caloric intake, which only triggers the survival mechanism in your body, to slow down metabolism.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The main focus of any weight loss problem, should be to lose fat, not weight. When you see a diet claim; you will lost 20+ pounds in a month, run for the hills!!!

Again, you CAN NOT lose fat quickly, as there is just much energy stored in fat that must be burned for that to happen. You need a deficit of 3500 calories to burn one pound of fat, so 1-2 pounds per week, will assure you are losing mostly fat - as long as you are combining exercise with calorie reduction and not going on a diet that drastically reduces your caloric intake, which only triggers the survival mechanism in your body, to slow down metabolism.

Exactly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
8 hours sleep and dont eat after 8 oclock and then only eat at 12 the next day so in effect i fast for 16 hours every day....I also train 6 days a week regardless of how i feel its a bit extreme but it works for me
Intermittent fasting? I've heard good things about that.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
8 hours sleep and dont eat after 8 oclock and then only eat at 12 the next day so in effect i fast for 16 hours every day....I also train 6 days a week regardless of how i feel its a bit extreme but it works for me

That's something else that helps me, too (the not eating later in the day). I was told to think "kitchen is closed 3 hours before bedtime".....because that time varies for most of us. But.....that can't be a white-knuckled abstinence. If we're truly hungry at that time......I think we did something 'wrong' during the day (or our systems may be compromised).

Upvote 0

andy b

Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2013
uk
✟75,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I CAN eat what i want in the 8 hour period but i dont feel that hungry so end up probably only eating in a 6 hour period...that gives my body a chance to clean out ...your body can only heal when you are not growing ....when food has been digested your body can then heal ...if your full, your body has to spend massive amounts off energy on digestion...give it a try ( check with your doctor ) im in my mid forties and lads in there 20s cant keep up with me at the gym

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I recently heard about "eccentric training". This is an article I found that describes it:
Eccentric training (also known as negative training) is a technique that allows you to push your muscles past their normal point of failure.

This allows you to lift, eccentrically, 30 to 40 percent more weight that you could normally handle (concentrically).

Eccentric training is much more demanding on the muscles and therefore it fatigues them far more than you could concentrically. It actually damages muscles to a greater extent, so there is a higher possibility of greater stimulation and subsequent growth.

~Bodybuilding.com - Eccentric Training!

I know for women, especially.....the word "growth" is scary. But.....that's another myth (I think). Women aren't going to wind up looking like Mr. Universe by using weight.

What it looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ2F0FYcVsU

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I recently heard about "eccentric training". This is an article I found that describes it:

I know for women, especially.....the word "growth" is scary. But.....that's another myth (I think). Women aren't going to wind up looking like Mr. Universe by using weight.

What it looks like:
Build Muscle and Lose Fat with Eccentric Training!!! - YouTube

This type of training should be used sparingly, but is good when one reaches a plateau and need stimulation to get past it.

And with women, the hormonal difference is the driver behind women not increasing muscle mass the same way men do. Women have the ability though, to get stronger, with less growth in muscle mass, compared to men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This type of training should be used sparingly, but is good when one reaches a plateau and need stimulation to get past it.

And with women, the hormonal difference is the driver behind women not increasing muscle mass the same way men do. Women have the ability though, to get stronger, with less growth in muscle mass, compared to men.

I know this completely goes against what we typically hear, but what I've recently read is that (based on studies).....12 minutes a week is the suggested amount of time to train (to allow for the muscles to recover). If a person can even do more than that.....supposedly they aren't working all their muscle fibers (and are defeating the purpose of this type of training).

That's interesting about the ability women have to get stronger with less growth in muscle mass.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know this completely goes against what we typically hear, but what I've recently read is that (based on studies).....12 minutes a week is the suggested amount of time to train (to allow for the muscles to recover). If a person can even do more than that.....supposedly they aren't working all their muscle fibers (and are defeating the purpose of this type of training).

That's interesting about the ability women have to get stronger with less growth in muscle mass.

It all depends what one's goals are in regards to strength training. They can be to build power and bulk (offensive lineman in football), it can be to build muscle endurance and a whole host of things in the middle.

But, lets say you are just attempting to increase strength through weight training. Working out 3 times per week, doing 3 sets of each exercise and doing 8-12 repetitions per set. That would mean, each exercise designed to work certain muscles, would be engaged for about 90 seconds per day or about 5 minutes per week. Some exercises do work the same muscles, just in different variations (bench press and dips both work the chest, shoulders and triceps), but it is the INTENSITY of the training which is going to stimulate increased strength, not the duration.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It all depends what one's goals are in regards to strength training. They can be to build power and bulk (offensive lineman in football), it can be to build muscle endurance and a whole host of things in the middle.
I'm thinking in order to maintain (and build) muscle strength and production in the least amount of time :) That way......it's something that can be kept up.

But, lets say you are just attempting to increase strength through weight training. Working out 3 times per week, doing 3 sets of each exercise and doing 8-12 repetitions per set. That would mean, each exercise designed to work certain muscles, would be engaged for about 90 seconds per day or about 5 minutes per week. Some exercises do work the same muscles, just in different variations (bench press and dips both work the chest, shoulders and triceps), but it is the INTENSITY of the training which is going to stimulate increased strength, not the duration.

That's what I'm understanding, too (that it's the intensity----NOT duration).

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I believe this as I seem to have lived it:

over-training can actually backfire so that you gain more weight. For instance, if you do a lot of cardio, your body will “eat” calorie-hogging muscle first and preserve it’s fat stores because it thinks it’s in starvation mode. You will actually slow your metabolism down as your body tries to conserve energy because you’re placing greater demands on it.

Let me say that again: over-exercising forces your body to conserve fat and breakdown muscle, the exact opposite of what you want.

An Active Lifestyle

Bailor does say (in one paragraph) that 20 minutes should not be all the activity you do each week. He is actually an advocate of 10,000 steps a day and he strongly urges you to keep moving and doing activities that you enjoy. So if you like to run, keep running, but don’t think that training for a marathon will help you lose weight (it won’t). If you like to take a Zumba class for the energy, then by all means keep attending, but going six times per week is overkill and could very well leave you up a dress size, not down.

To me......that's another thing that often gets misunderstood----thinking that more is better.
Isometric training is a great way to improve strength and is vastly underrated it also strengthens tendons.Whats great is that you can do it any where.

I'm just now stepping into learning all of this.

So.....there is "concentric" (up movement---towards the body)......"eccentric" (down movement---away from the body).....and "isometric" (where the the joint angle and muscle length do not change during contraction ). Is that correct? I'm not even sure what that means (the isometric). So......would that simply be holding a dumb bell (for instance) in a static position to the point of fatigue? Can you give some examples, Andy?

Last edited:
Upvote 0